By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Member postings for Bo'sun

Here is a list of all the postings Bo'sun has made in our forums. Click on a thread name to jump to the thread.

Thread: Could I try an IC engine?
11/02/2021 16:51:05

Hi Paul,

Have a look at Andrew Whale's "hit & miss" engine. It might not be exactly what you're looking for, but an interesting IC project non the less.

Thread: One place for all ???
11/02/2021 16:47:10

I think Jason's right. Shop around or be patient seems to be the name of the game.

Thread: Gluing Plexiglass to brass
08/02/2021 08:51:03

As Ramon says. If using Super Glue, use a "non-fogging" one. To be honest, I didn't know such a variant existed. Just goes to show.

Thread: Cutting on return traverse?
07/02/2021 16:42:19

Thanks everyone for the comments and suggestions. I had no idea the issue was so common. Yes, the WM250 lathe may not be as robust as some, but it did take me a bit by surprise. I can see a few trials coming up to see which method works best.

07/02/2021 12:49:28

Good afternoon,

I've searched the forum and the internet, but to no avail. Maybe I'm not using the right search words.

Irrespective of the material, when cylindrical turning, the tool cuts slightly when returning the carriage for the next cut. Power feed or manual. Even with a relatively small 0.12mm depth of cut. 30mm stock protrusion, 12mm dia. Tried various spindle speeds and feed rates without success.

Cross slide and compound gibs are adjusted and headstock bearings feel OK. Lathe is a Warco WM250.

Thread: Baby bullet vice
05/02/2021 16:11:31

Envious? Just a bit!

Thread: How to align a fixed steady?
04/02/2021 13:18:25

DC31k mentions the use of small rollers instead of fingers. While this sounds like a good idea, I'd be concerned about small shavings being crushed into the workpiece. Fingers will simply brush the shavings aside. I have the same concern with roller blade guides on a wood bandsaw squashing resin onto the blade.

Thread: Mini Lathe Vertical Mill Attachment
04/02/2021 09:26:17

Novel idea, and clearly only suited for light cuts. Not sure why it needs such a large overhang though? A smaller overhang would increase rigidity.

Thread: Dasqua DTI.
02/02/2021 19:59:48

Decided eventually, well in for a penny. The initial breakaway torque was very high, but once on the move it feels about as I'd expect.

Thanks for your comments.

02/02/2021 16:12:23

Thanks old mart, I'd love to provide a close up, but my phone still has buttons and I love my 35mm OM4Ti. Seems a simple question for Chronos to ask their supplier, but so far, to no avail.

02/02/2021 13:07:10

Thanks Derek, I'd be surprised if it didn't move, if only to protect the movement, after all, 0.8mm of working travel isn't very much.

02/02/2021 11:44:45

Yes John, that looks like the same one, except mine has a plain white face.

02/02/2021 11:12:05

Good morning,

I have a Dasqua DTI which I assume would have a friction pivot/clutch. However, the lever stylus does not want to move (other than operational travel) and I don't want to force it. I've asked Chronos, but they don't know and can't get an answer from their supplier.

Can any of you knowledgeable folk help please? It carries the number 5221-1001 if that helps.

Thread: Machine corrosion protection
31/01/2021 15:58:07

Three suggestions:

Proprietary rust preventative fluid. Solent and Ambersil products work well.

Dehumidifier. "Desiccant" type rather than "refrigerant" as they perform better at lower ambient temperatures.

Machine cover to reduce the amount of airborne moisture falling on the machine.

Thread: Die query?
31/01/2021 09:37:43

Thank you Howard.

Thread: New (to me) metal supplier
30/01/2021 17:36:22

Another vote for these guys.

Thread: Die query?
29/01/2021 10:38:36

Thank you,

Any idea what sort of things would they have been used for?

29/01/2021 09:46:06

Good morning,

I've been sorting through some acquired taps and dies and came across a die with the engraving "3/8 x 26 BRASS", made by LAL ltd England. It's a conventional round split steel die.

Too fine for BSF or UNF. Any suggestions what it's for?

Thread: Hermes in action - Lost parcel ?
29/01/2021 09:23:45
Posted by J Hancock on 29/01/2021 08:26:03:

The REAL moan is how they make it so hard to contact them when things go wrong.

Why does that not surprise me. Just like our local authority, the reporting process is so contrived and non-intuitive that you just give up and don't bother. Job done, no cost to put things right!

Thread: Warco 16B Mill Tachometer
28/01/2021 20:09:40

My WM250's motor is brushless and has a mag pick-up on the lathe spindle.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Engineer or Model Engineers' Workshop? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Engineer & Model Engineers' Workshop

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
ChesterUK
emcomachinetools
Warco
Eccentric July 5 2018
JD Metals
cowells
Eccentric Engineering
Subscription Offer

Latest "For Sale" Ads
Latest "Wanted" Ads
Get In Touch!

Do you want to contact the Model Engineer and Model Engineers' Workshop team?

You can contact us by phone, mail or email about the magazines including becoming a contributor, submitting reader's letters or making queries about articles. You can also get in touch about this website, advertising or other general issues.

Click THIS LINK for full contact details.

For subscription issues please see THIS LINK.

Digital Back Issues

Social Media online

'Like' us on Facebook
Follow us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter
 Twitter Logo

Pin us on Pinterest