By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Member postings for Bo'sun

Here is a list of all the postings Bo'sun has made in our forums. Click on a thread name to jump to the thread.

Thread: Sourcing Belzona Fluid Metal Materials
07/07/2020 17:14:39

Blimey, that's a blast from the past. Clearly you've tried "Mr Google" without success. I'm sure there are a number of similar products on the market these days. Devcon is another similar product, but probably as old as Belzona.

Thread: Lathe dogs
03/07/2020 17:00:44

Hi Alan,

I think it depends on what type of drive plate you have. If your drive plate has a pin drive, get the straight ones. If it's got slots, get the bent type, but make sure the bend will engage with the slot.

Thread: Old School Projects
03/07/2020 16:56:56
Posted by Bazyle on 03/07/2020 15:04:11:

Yes but the picture and text tells you some sizes and you know all dimensions will be a round figure in inches and fractions.

So Bore = 1/2 in
stroke = 3/4 in
so use a piston about 5/8 in long
so make cylinder 1 1/2 long (picture looks a bit undersize hence comment about stroke in the text)
Either use 3/4 (5/8) round soldered to 3/4 x 1/2 bar or start with rectangular bar and file it to shape. Schools might have used it as an excercise on the shaper.

Flywheel = 2in
main upstand = 4x1x1/4
Flywheel support = 1 3/4 x 1 x 1/4
Cross piece = 1 1/2 x x1 x 3/8
Axle = 1/4 silver steel
Crank disc 1 1/2 x 3/8 turned down to 3/16 with boss of 3/16
Crank pin = 1/8 stainless
Piston rod would be better as 1/8 stainless with Mamod style end
Copper pipes 3/16 OD

Boiler - I don't have my copy available but there is probably an equivalent design in KN Harris Boiler Making book.

Sorry Bazyle, but what picture?

03/07/2020 13:33:27

Hi Hopper,

Unless you've found another, the only one I could find, the sale ended in 2013.

Hi Bazyle,

I'm looking for the publication so that I can make one.

03/07/2020 09:47:31

Thank you MichaelR,

I saw that a while ago, and it's what prompted me to give it a go.

Thank you Hopper,

I've tried the County Library "on-line" system but without success. I'll now try the more personal approach when we get back to relative normality.

03/07/2020 09:15:37

Like a lot of things, there's probably hundreds laying around in workshops and on bookshelves. I even tried my old school archive, but no luck there. They destroy everything over 20 years old. I got a pdf copy of book 2, but no luck as yet with book 1.

02/07/2020 16:44:17

Thanks Brian, I saw that. Silly money, eh?

Thread: Cutting brass with saw questions
02/07/2020 16:26:51

Hi Chris,

I certainly wouldn't use a contact adhesive or double sided tape, or anything of that nature. It will clog your blade, pick up the swarf, and you'll be cursing you ever considered the idea. If you do go this route, I'd be inclined to experiment with CA glue, or something that doesn't remain tenacious.

Thread: Old School Projects
02/07/2020 16:02:31

Good afternoon,

I'm nearing completion of the T.E.Haynes "Hot Air Engine" project, aimed at school students. It was a project I completed too many moons ago to mention. I thought I might try his "Steam Engine" project in the same series.

Does anyone know where I might find a copy of said publication? I've tried the usual sources without success.

Thread: Tungsten carbide for shapers
01/07/2020 17:08:34
Posted by mick on 01/07/2020 16:56:47:

Unless you can lift the tool clear on the return stroke the tip will rub against the work piece and dull the cutting edge. Modern carbide should be able to withstand the initial impact.

Isn't that the function of the "clapper box"?

01/07/2020 16:52:32

I guess it might ultimately depend on the depth of cut, and the grade of carbide. A brazed tip might be the be the better option, as the tip is usually better supported.

Thread: Lollipop maybe?
30/06/2020 15:42:42

Well, I ordered a suitable magnifying glass from that well known auction site, and it arrived today. It was listed as "professional", although I'm not quite sure what that defines, with a glass lens. The lens doesn't appear to be glass, as it doesn't feel heavy enough. I do hate being hoodwinked, so, is there a "non-destructive" way of checking the lens material, before contacting the seller?

Plus. I tried looking to buy 1.00" & 0.50" individual slip gauges, but those I found were ludicrously expensive, so I'm still looking for a 1.50" height gauge setting block, if anyone can point me towards a source?

Thread: ISO Container for Workshop
30/06/2020 11:09:31

A good point raised. Check with your local authority about planning consent. We have several on our Scout Campsite and require planning consent. We're checked every few years to make sure we haven't sprouted any more.

30/06/2020 07:13:26

Sounds like a relatively simple and secure solution, but as you recognise, condensation WILL be a problem. Forced ventilation and insulation will certainly help. Finances permitting, a pre-insulated fridge/cold box type container might save a lot of work.

Thread: WM250 Sticky Carriage
29/06/2020 08:18:23
Posted by Steve Neighbour on 29/06/2020 05:08:47:
Posted by Martin Laycock 1 on 28/06/2020 23:38:24:

"I have a new Warco 250V Lathe"

You were lucky to get one !

I've had one on order since 1st week of May, still no luck frown

Edited By Steve Neighbour on 29/06/2020 05:09:24

I suspect Warco are awaiting quite a large shipment from the Far East, as they are "out of stock" of quite a lot of products. I'm waiting for a WM240 and some tooling.

Thread: Reamer type
28/06/2020 14:25:21

If I remember correctly, as a hand reamer, they also have a generous lead-in.

Thread: Press Button Oilers?
26/06/2020 16:37:17

Agree with Howard. Thumbs up for the Reilang oil gun. Got mine from Macc Models.

26/06/2020 10:24:18
Posted by Mike London on 25/06/2020 22:16:18:

Without wishing to side track the thread.
Can any one recommend a decent oil gun to use with these push button oilers I have a Myford gun and a Harrison gun for respective lathes. They both leak like sieves and in use there is oil everywhere but you are never really sure how much has got past the ball to where it is needed.
Any body found an oil gun that appears to work satisfactorily?

Hi Mike,

Try the Reilang one from Macc Models. Not cheap, but appears very good so far. They do a plastic canned one, or a slightly more expensive one with an aluminium can.

25/06/2020 14:55:41

Afternoon All,

Press Button Oilers, or whatever you call those little ball bearing thingies found on many machine tools at lubrication points.

Is there a way to get them out without damaging something?

#Thanks

Thread: Anyone near godalming who could do a favour?
25/06/2020 14:37:24

Mmm........ Best of luck with Hermes if a recent post is anything to go by!

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Engineer or Model Engineers' Workshop? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Engineer & Model Engineers' Workshop

Support Our Partners
ChesterUK
Eccentric July 5 2018
cowells
emcomachinetools
EngineDIY
Warco
Eccentric Engineering
Subscription Offer

Latest "For Sale" Ads
Latest "Wanted" Ads
Get In Touch!

Do you want to contact the Model Engineer and Model Engineers' Workshop team?

You can contact us by phone, mail or email about the magazines including becoming a contributor, submitting reader's letters or making queries about articles. You can also get in touch about this website, advertising or other general issues.

Click THIS LINK for full contact details.

For subscription issues please see THIS LINK.

Digital Back Issues

Social Media online

'Like' us on Facebook
Follow us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter
 Twitter Logo

Pin us on Pinterest