By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Member postings for Bo'sun

Here is a list of all the postings Bo'sun has made in our forums. Click on a thread name to jump to the thread.

Thread: Taper angle/length for spindle handle lock?
28/02/2021 17:57:33

Hello Dr,

I've just completed a winding handle for my WM250. Not sure what the angle was, but I used the bolt from a 16 dia x 145 (M12) "sleeve anchor".

Set the compound to skim the taper true. Then used the same setting to bore the internal taper for an expanding sleeve.

Hope that makes sense.

Thread: Countersink bits
27/02/2021 11:43:15

Thank you Michael. Now you mention it, I remember one of the guys at work using a piece of spent emery cloth.

Rod. I did try the "snail" type bits, and they worked realy well, but they didn't appear to be very hard. Probably meant for woodwork. I'll do a search and see if I can find them in HSS.

27/02/2021 11:22:46

Good morning,

When using HSS "rose" style countersink bits to countersink and chamfer holes in mild steel, how do I prevent them chattering? It occurs with both machine and hand operations.

It doesn't happen all the time, but when it does, it's impossible to correct.

I guess speed and lubrication might be the main considerations.

Thread: How to hold work for drilling on an ML7 using tailstock pad
26/02/2021 09:58:23
Posted by Malc on 24/02/2021 14:00:27:

Have had mine some time now and one of the first things I did was to make a “Holding strap” to keep work in place. Will try to post a picture.706c1085-b0a3-4622-8929-f6a62d31b241.jpeg

That now looks very similar to the "MT2 Tailstock Vee Adaptor" that I mentioned earlier from ARC. Wouldn't be without it.

Thread: Digital Callipers - again
25/02/2021 09:20:45

Another vote for Mitutoyo. The Moore & Wright "budget" digital callipers also work well (at least for me anyway).

Just worked out what the "absolute" function was for. Why on earth hadn't I worked it out before?

Thread: How to hold work for drilling on an ML7 using tailstock pad
24/02/2021 11:53:22

Hi George,

Unfortunately not. The distance between the clamping bolts is the limiting factor at just over 24mm. Also, I guess the tool is hardened.

24/02/2021 11:17:23

Hi,

I've been using an excellent bit of kit from ARC. It's called an "MT2 Tailstock Vee Adaptor". Great for drilling cross holes in stock up to 24mm dia. Just wish they did one with larger stock holding capacity up to around 30mm dia.

Thread: Collet Chuck for my CL250M?
23/02/2021 13:48:28

Hi Ian,

If you're looking at a morse taper mounted collet chuck, bare in mind that it won't be through bored, and will consequently limit the length of stock it can hold. If so, a collet chuck on a backplate might be worth considering.

Thread: RR Merlin Scale Models
20/02/2021 11:08:04

Fantastic model. I remember seeing it (or maybe another) some 30 odd years ago. From what I remember, it was at a model engineering show at the Wembly Conference centre. I was amazed how authentic it was when I think of the Merlin engine we had at the Ford trade school in the seventies.

Thread: Warco Lathe Query
18/02/2021 15:42:49

I see I'm not the only one still waiting to find out the "Warco question".

Thread: Warco 180 mini lathe
18/02/2021 11:56:58

Good morning Ken,

Had a similar issue with my WM250. Warco supplied a replacement speed control potentiometer under warranty and it fixed the problem. Contact cleaner might work if you could get it onto the track.

Thread: Pulley design
17/02/2021 11:27:57

For hobby use, I'd go along with Gerry. Just make sure the belt doesn't bottom out in the groove.

Thread: Back plate metal choice
17/02/2021 11:03:02

Having machined a cast iron (probably grey) backplate for my ER32 collet chuck. I'd go for mild steel. The CI dust was right pain to get rid of! Mind you, I like the idea of a magnet, and David's idea of putting it in a plastic bag. I think the large magnets salvaged from speakers would work well.

Thread: Warco Lathe Query
17/02/2021 08:23:12

Another vote for "what is the Warco question?"

16/02/2021 09:14:41

Still none the wiser.

15/02/2021 17:14:57

I know this lockdown is getting to everybody, but have I missed something?

Thread: Tufnol, Phenolic, SRBP, HPL, CGL, SGL
14/02/2021 15:07:51

Hello Hollowpoint,

What about the material used for the base of small trailers (Ifor Williams, etc). It's a phenolic covered plywood. Unfortunately, I haven't got a clue what it's called.

Thread: Zinc based alloy?
14/02/2021 15:02:22

Good afternoon Avon,

The material was sourced from Metals United Limited in Christchurch (UK). "brilliant2buy" on Ebay.

It was 25mm ID x 35mm OD, thick wall tubing in a 300mm length. It was possible to make the transfer piston and cylinder from the same stock.

Grandchildren, what grandchildren? Maybe the kids next door instead. Mind you, once they've taken them, I've then got to do something with them!

14/02/2021 10:51:14

Hi Avon,

I didn't get the flywheel cast, I made it from Mild Steel, with a slightly thinner web in the middle to reduce the mass.

The engine is now complete and running well, and Dad is proud of the result once again.

I've now added an eight coil copper cooling jacket to the "cold end" of the transfer cylinder. 4mm OD x 3mm ID x 1m copper tube, and a small 3 volt submersible pump to circulate the water. Works a treat.

I'd love to post some pictures, but I still use a phone with buttons and a 35mm OM4Ti camera.

Thread: Pipe bending
13/02/2021 10:28:51
Posted by Paul Lousick on 13/02/2021 10:24:19:

There are lots of DIY pipe benders on Youtube and internet which are simple to make. Tube and pipe can also be bent by packing sand in the tube and plugging the ends. Then heat with a blowtorch to bend. Make sure that the sand is completely dry or any moisture will turn to steam when heated.

Paulthe

Steam driven blowpipe. Now there's an idea.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Engineer or Model Engineers' Workshop? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Engineer & Model Engineers' Workshop

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
ChesterUK
emcomachinetools
Warco
Eccentric July 5 2018
JD Metals
cowells
Eccentric Engineering
Subscription Offer

Latest "For Sale" Ads
Latest "Wanted" Ads
Get In Touch!

Do you want to contact the Model Engineer and Model Engineers' Workshop team?

You can contact us by phone, mail or email about the magazines including becoming a contributor, submitting reader's letters or making queries about articles. You can also get in touch about this website, advertising or other general issues.

Click THIS LINK for full contact details.

For subscription issues please see THIS LINK.

Digital Back Issues

Social Media online

'Like' us on Facebook
Follow us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter
 Twitter Logo

Pin us on Pinterest