By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Member postings for Bo'sun

Here is a list of all the postings Bo'sun has made in our forums. Click on a thread name to jump to the thread.

Thread: Engineering as Art
09/01/2022 13:52:15

Hello JA,

I haven't seen the drawings you refer to, but in general, the standard of drawing/drafting has slipped somewhat in recent times. Are drawing standards taught anymore in schools and colleges, or do we rely on the CAD programmer getting it right? Properly executed manual drawings can indeed be a "work of art" and something the draftsman can be proud of. Not so easy to be proud of a CAD drawing when most of the work is done for you.

Thread: First model recommendations
07/01/2022 16:38:30
Posted by br on 07/01/2022 16:17:48:

P M Research in usa, available in UK from Forest Classics, do mill engine castings of a high quality.

They also do a nice range of machine shop equipment castings for a model workshop, lathes, drills etc which makes a nice display.

bill

Paul,

If you're interested in PMR's workshop models, have a look at Joe Pieczynski's youtube channel. It might put you off as a beginner, but fantastic machining non-the-less.

Thread: Putting a Chuck on the rotary table.
07/01/2022 16:32:45

High Nick,

I also need to fit a chuck to my HV4 (Warco) Rotary table. So I bought the Warco 80mm chuck and backplate to suit. While Warco were very keen to resolve the issue I had with their chuck/backplate, don't bother.

While their "no need to clock" statement sounded like a blessing in disguise, I couldn't get it to work. Firstly, the register dia on the backplate was out of true by around 0.12mm (with the backplate 2MT set in the Rotary Table). Add the inevitable runout with a 3 jaw chuck, and it was never going to work. It doesn't stop there. When the 2MT is set in the Rotary Table, there is a gap between the backplate and the table, so when the 2 clamps are tightened, the backplate has a tendancy to distort and add axial misalignment.

I ended up with a backplate from Chrono's (for their SOBA chucks) and an 80mm chuck from ARC. I will need to machine the spigot from the backplate (it's a snug fit in my HV4, giving me no wiggle room) and then get/make some M8 tee nuts to take M6 studs.

It should give me enough wiggle room to clock the work true.

My HV4 has 0.02mm runout on the 2MT, so for a relatively inexpensive Rotary Table, I'll live with that.

Thread: Tool Post for Warco WM 180
07/01/2022 09:19:28

Hi Iain,

Have a look at "Ades workshop" on youtube. In his last video he modifies a QCTP for a WM180, and discusses sizing.

Thread: Highway Code
05/01/2022 18:12:56
Posted by Bo'sun on 05/01/2022 18:04:23:
Posted by Nicholas Wheeler 1 on 05/01/2022 16:08:25:
Posted by Vic on 05/01/2022 16:01:43:

I cycle very occasionally but I’m not happy to do so on the road, far too dangerous. There are many cycle paths near me but some cyclists still insist on using the road next to it instead! I think it should be an offence to use the road if a cycle path a few feet away is available! laugh

I'm one of those cyclists! There are many cycle paths around the Medway Towns that I won't use because they are more dangerous than the roads. That's mostly due to terrible design, but some of them are really badly maintained too. Vehicles, and bicycles are vehicles, should be on the road.

The real problem is that many road users are incompetent and/or temperamentally unsuited to the job.

Yes, I agree, cycle paths for the most part, are in an appalling state. Badly surfaced, badly signposted, overhanging vegetation, not joined up, etc. Still, how else could the local highways authority afford to refurbish their offices. I wouldn't mind betting that if a highways officer were using said cycleways, they'd pretty soon get sorted!

05/01/2022 18:04:23
Posted by Nicholas Wheeler 1 on 05/01/2022 16:08:25:
Posted by Vic on 05/01/2022 16:01:43:

I cycle very occasionally but I’m not happy to do so on the road, far too dangerous. There are many cycle paths near me but some cyclists still insist on using the road next to it instead! I think it should be an offence to use the road if a cycle path a few feet away is available! laugh

I'm one of those cyclists! There are many cycle paths around the Medway Towns that I won't use because they are more dangerous than the roads. That's mostly due to terrible design, but some of them are really badly maintained too. Vehicles, and bicycles are vehicles, should be on the road.

The real problem is that many road users are incompetent and/or temperamentally unsuited to the job.

05/01/2022 11:54:32

Also as a cyclist, I'm not convinced that motor vehicle drivers appreciate the consequences if they collide with a cyclist.

For example: Their conscience, their insurance premium, damage to their vehicle, a hefty fine, a prison sentence, etc.

Why do many seem to be in such an incessant hurry to get everywhere, and take every opportunity to overtake a cyclist when it's inappropriate? Like at in island crossing point, that's clearly too narrow for a vehicle and cycle to pass together.

Thread: Warco mill soft start
05/01/2022 11:41:36

My Warco WM16B starts softly and runs up to about 100rpm when switched on with the speed control set to minimum.

I contacted Warco, and apparently this is normal.

Thread: Highway Code
05/01/2022 10:19:49

Adhering to the Highway Code is all well and good, but how are we expected to know there's been an update, other than looking on the gov.uk website (assuming that's up to date of course) every day. How do we then get around the "Ignorance is no excuse" idea?

Thread: Warco Lathe setup
04/01/2022 17:51:18

Hello John,

Thank you for that. A neat solution well executed. Although I agree, the parts could be better made in the first place. Not exactly difficult.

I overcome the problem with the gib screws getting in the way, by using socket set (Allen grub) screws, with just enough thread for the locknuts. Then a shortened Allen key that lives in place all the time. Plus. it looks neater than sck hd cap scws. Done the same with the compound gib screws too.

I'm going to try skimming a little from the guide blocks as suggested. If I take too much off I'll reach for the shim washers. Mind you, looking at the state of those from your machine, I might just make some new ones. I like the idea of shim washers though. If they wear in the future, just re-shim.

04/01/2022 09:45:27

I'm interested in Howards comment regarding adjustable pads. My WM250 doesn't appear to have any adjustment at the front of the saddle, or have I missed something? I have around 0.06mm of noticeable lift at the front and 0.01mm at the rear, which has a gib strip.

03/01/2022 18:35:59

Hello Iain,

Strange, but on my WM250 there's a gib at the back of the saddle but nothing at the front.

Thread: Big Ben
31/12/2021 16:13:45

According to one of my college lecturers some years ago, a wall in the Whitechapel Bell Foundry had to be partly knocked down to get the finished bell out, and a bell shaped repair could later be seen in the wall . While the Bell Foundry closed in 2017, and is now a listed building, I assume the repair can still be seen. Must go and have a look.

Thread: DAB radio
30/12/2021 13:38:01

DAB works fine for me until they put football on. Then I can't get to the mute button quick enough.

Thread: Do you "still" enjoy driving?
29/12/2021 18:06:13

The pleasure (if that's what you can call it) has definately gone. Too many people in a raging hurry to get everywhere, and too many HGV's trying to gain 1 mph overtaking you.

Thread: Shims
28/12/2021 11:51:44

All the usual suspects. Spent hacksaw blades, steel banding from pallet shipments, scrap sheet metal, etc.

Thread: New mini mill or use lathe as a mill.?
27/12/2021 10:24:10

I've used a milling slide on my WM250 with good success. But the swapping things around, only to find out that you realy should have completed one more operation before swapping back, convinced me to buy a benchtop mill.

Other considerations with a milling slide attachment are lack of travel and general visibility.

Thread: Blank Tee Nuts.
25/12/2021 15:49:20

Thanks Jason.

24/12/2021 11:07:55

As they say, the simple solutions are sometimes the best. "Can't see the wood for the trees" and all that. I should get enough threads for M6.

Thanks Dave.

24/12/2021 10:48:59

HI ndiy,

By blank I meant with no hole, so I could drill and tap for an M6 stud.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Engineer or Model Engineers' Workshop? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Engineer & Model Engineers' Workshop

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
cowells
Dreweatts
Eccentric Engineering
Eccentric July 5 2018
Rapid RC
Subscription Offer

Latest "For Sale" Ads
Latest "Wanted" Ads
Get In Touch!

Do you want to contact the Model Engineer and Model Engineers' Workshop team?

You can contact us by phone, mail or email about the magazines including becoming a contributor, submitting reader's letters or making queries about articles. You can also get in touch about this website, advertising or other general issues.

Click THIS LINK for full contact details.

For subscription issues please see THIS LINK.

Digital Back Issues

Social Media online

'Like' us on Facebook
Follow us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter
 Twitter Logo

Pin us on Pinterest