By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Member postings for Bo'sun

Here is a list of all the postings Bo'sun has made in our forums. Click on a thread name to jump to the thread.

Thread: Collet chuck for Chester 920 Lathe
17/03/2021 12:07:14

In response to Howard's comment regarding Amadeal. I had to send two MT4 ER32 collet holders back to Amadeal because the M16 drawbar threads were misaligned (at an angle) with the centreline.

Thread: Wanted Pictures of Brazing Equipment
16/03/2021 15:29:32

Hi Nick,

Please see PM.

Bo'sun

Thread: Digital Micrometer
16/03/2021 12:12:59

Good afternoon MC,

As David says. Temperature could well be the culprit. After all, 0.002mm (0.00008" is two tenths of not very much.

I think I'd be happy with that. Certainly for model engineering.

Thread: Identifying brass?
14/03/2021 16:52:25

Can you compare it with another piece of brass. Cleaned up of course. There are a number different grades of brass which may vary in colour slightly, but it might be a good start. I've not got any, or used any bronze for years, but if memory serves, it has a slightly "coppery" colour compared to brass.

I'm sure there are more definitive ways, but I'd go the simple route to start with.

Another thought. Bronze might be the material of choice for salt water corrosion resistance. Hence being used for a prop shaft.

Thread: RH vs LH threads
14/03/2021 10:02:11

Corrosion will also add to the force required to remove pedals. Pedals are a sort of "fit & forget" component.

14/03/2021 09:31:08

Same reason BB threads are left and right handed.

Thread: Aldi Scheppach bandsaw
13/03/2021 16:52:49

I think £115 says it all.

Thread: Milling attachment
13/03/2021 16:46:22

I agree with Oldiron regarding "the biggest problem with a combi unit", or a milling slide for that matter. Yes, milling slides can be made to perform quite satisfactorily within their capacity, but It does get a bit tedious swapping functions. Especially if you've just swapped back, and find one further operation needed to be done.

13/03/2021 09:30:14

Three comments:

Warco sell a mounting plate to fix the vertical slide to the lathes cross slide.

The "Myford" style milling slide can be used with some mods to the above mounting plate. This can provide angular adjustment if that's useful.

If considering the "milling attachment" as apposed to the "milling slide", the rear splash guard may not be deep enough to accommodate it. I believe Warco have a suitable replacement splash guard.

Thread: Model Engineers Handbook
10/03/2021 15:25:51

So who is Lyle Peterson (Tubal Cain)?

Thread: Silver Soldering Flux?
09/03/2021 10:18:06

Thanks All,

Seems like a vote for it being re-cyclable.

08/03/2021 15:19:46

Hello,

I've just completed some Silver Soldering but mixed up too much flux. Rather than throw it away, can it be ground up and used again?

Not trying to save money, but it just seems a waste to bin it.

Thread: Paillon when Silver Soldering?
05/03/2021 16:28:25

Thanks All,

I think I'll try Jason's method next time. The paillons worked fine, if it wasn't for the flux bubbling up and moving them around away from the joint. Once the flux had gone "syrupy" I was able to reposition them and all was well. A bit of a faff none-the-less.

05/03/2021 15:47:17

Thanks Jason, that's what I thought. I think if you judge the number of pieces required right, it might save you using too much solder, that you may then have to get rid of.

05/03/2021 15:20:08

Good afternoon,

Simple question (I think).

"Paillons of Silver Solder". What is a paillon and what size is it?

Many thanks.

Thread: Brazing silver steel: any caveats/recommendations?
04/03/2021 15:01:58

I'd go for 1m lengths as Jason suggests. No worries then about alignment and joint strength. Yes, cost may be a consideration, but better safe than sorry in my book.

Thread: Machining phosphor bronzes
04/03/2021 09:54:53

Will "slow helix" drill bits work better than "standard" drill bits in phosphor bronze?

Thread: Warco 250WM Lathe - Speed readout problem
03/03/2021 12:00:40

I must admit, the magnets and pick-up do seem a bit vulnerable to contamination. It doesn't look to be the smartest design. Has anybody thought about some sort of cover, maybe using the pick-up bracket, or cable clip screws to secure it. Clearly not possible to get full coverage, and make it easy to remove, but as a famous supermarket says "every little helps".

Thread: Warco wm 250
03/03/2021 10:49:20

Hi Michael,

Paul M mentions referring to the operators manual, which in many cases is probably the correct course of action. Unfortunately, I've found the OM supplied with my WM250 to be pretty useless. It's several iterations out of date, has useful info' missing, and I certainly wouldn't rely on the parts list and accompanying diagrams.

Thread: Avoiding marking / scoring while using fixed steady.
01/03/2021 11:19:36

I'm not sure using rollers is the way to go, because unless you can keep swarf chips away, they will tend to get pressed/rolled into the work, making the problem worse. I've had the same issue with the roller blade guides on my woodworking bandsaw compacting resin onto the blade.

Rather than use shim stock, why not try softer aluminium from drinks cans. Damn, have to drink more beer.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Engineer or Model Engineers' Workshop? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Engineer & Model Engineers' Workshop

Support Our Partners
ChesterUK
emcomachinetools
Warco
Eccentric July 5 2018
JD Metals
cowells
Eccentric Engineering
Subscription Offer

Latest "For Sale" Ads
Latest "Wanted" Ads
Get In Touch!

Do you want to contact the Model Engineer and Model Engineers' Workshop team?

You can contact us by phone, mail or email about the magazines including becoming a contributor, submitting reader's letters or making queries about articles. You can also get in touch about this website, advertising or other general issues.

Click THIS LINK for full contact details.

For subscription issues please see THIS LINK.

Digital Back Issues

Social Media online

'Like' us on Facebook
Follow us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter
 Twitter Logo

Pin us on Pinterest