By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Member postings for Bo'sun

Here is a list of all the postings Bo'sun has made in our forums. Click on a thread name to jump to the thread.

Thread: Unknown Lathe
20/09/2020 09:13:43

Hi Craig, it looks like it might have been a "maintenance" lathe on a ship or something. Single support to save a little space.

Thread: Ally bike cranks
17/09/2020 08:50:22

Might be worth a punt, but beware of metal fatigue in used crank arms. If you do try, stick with quality brands such as Shimano, Suntour, Race Face, Hope, etc.

Thread: Marking out blueing or pens?
17/09/2020 08:44:46

Hi Jon,

Like the above, I use both. Permanent marker for small areas, and layout ink/fluid for larger areas. Buy a decent layout fluid such as dykem, I've found cheaper ones take ages to dry and tend to flake off when scribing into them.

Thread: Gloves in a Bottle
16/09/2020 08:18:43

I think in the "olden days" it was called barrier cream. Still available I suspect.

Thread: Mystery Object ... This one has me beat
14/09/2020 18:49:06

Hi, an OS triangulation point would have had three equispaced groves (presumably brass or bronze) for the theodolite tripod feet to locate in, and sometimes an anchor point in the centre to secure it down.

Thread: What rivet to use to join aluminium?
12/09/2020 12:17:18

I've heard that galvanic corrosion can be quite a problem between aluminium and copper. A friend of mine built an aluminium boat, but didn't consider the consequences of dropping pieces of copper wire into the hull/bilge while installing the electrics.

Thread: Hermes Parcels
06/09/2020 16:34:54

I'm getting the impression that Hermes have done a deal with Ebay and it's sellers. Most of my recent purchases have been delivered (more or less) by Hermes.

06/09/2020 13:13:32

Another thumbs-up for DPD from me.

Would you believe it? I got an e-mail from Herpes the other day, asking me "how did we do". I didn't have enough time on my hands to reply.

Thread: Looking for foundry in Bolton area
06/09/2020 08:59:20

Might be worth thinking about the foundry at Blists Hill Victorian Town, Ironbridge Gorge Museums, Telford.

04/09/2020 14:30:25

Such a shame many, many of our foundries are just history now.

Thread: Is there any tips for sawing aluminium
04/09/2020 14:28:43

Hi Chris,

Try some chalk on the blade and in the cut, it helps stop the aluminium clogging the teeth. At the end of the day, big teeth, wide kerf and a bit of sweat. Oh sorry, and beer!

Thread: Lubrication
29/08/2020 09:04:07

A question for a Horologist I think. The wrong oil could end in disaster. The quantity, and what to oil may also be important.

Thread: MT4-ER32 Collet Chuck?
28/08/2020 16:36:15

Just a quick update.

Bought one from Amadeal, and yes, I know there's been some problems with machines from them, but likely no more than other companies that sell Chinese machines. It was £39.00 with a gauge length of only 54mm (and I checked how they were measuring it). So I had to give it a go. As they say "the proof of the pudding". I'll update the post and let you know how it works out.

Thread: Advice on buying a milling machine
27/08/2020 16:48:42

Hi Paul,

You say you're a 4 hour drive from Warco. Unless you want to eyeball before you buy, I believe delivery is included in the price.

26/08/2020 13:22:47

Thanks Guys,

Yes, £200 is at the high end of the price bracket, but if it's a quality (always subjective) item, and I can get the gauge length down, maybe that's the way I need to go.

26/08/2020 11:57:58

Thanks John,

Maybe the ones "direct" from China are OK, but they are just so stupidly cheap. Yes, Cutwell at over £100 is a bit steep, but perhaps you get what you pay for. Milo also do one at a reasonable cost, but I'd like a shorter gauge length.

Thread: Stainless steel
26/08/2020 11:16:16

Hi Colin,

A man after my own heart. I salvage nuts, screws and washers from most things destined for the scrap bin. Sad isn't it? However, any other suggestions for free stuff are gladly welcomed.

26/08/2020 10:35:09

Good morning,

I'm looking for an MT4-ER32 Collet Chuck. There are some very cheap ones from China, which I am unsurprisingly, a little wary of, and a couple from CNC tooling providers. The later have longer gauge lengths (75mm) than I would like. Around 60mm would be preferable. I've tried the usual suspects like ARC, Chronos & RDG, but without success.

Any suggestions of anyone else I could try? Many thanks.

Thread: QCTP for a WM250?
20/08/2020 11:29:01

Hi,

Do any of you clever people out there know, if the Warco "Dickson" type QCTP from a WM240 will fit the WM250?

Many thanks.

Thread: Die Plate
19/08/2020 18:00:44
Posted by Howard Lewis on 19/08/2020 16:33:58:

Bosun,

Sadly No photo. I do not have it.

They were sometimes known as Lancashire Screw Plates.

They are OLD hand tools probably dating back into the 1800s, predating Dies, as we know them.

The latest

Imagine something like a pointing trowel but made of thicker metal, with two sets of holes, of gradually increasing size running , side by side from the handle to the tip. Each hole contains a thread.

On each side of, and close to each threaded hole is a small hole.

Effectively it is a number of dies all contained within one piece of metal.

They were used quite frequently, many years ago to produce threads on smaller diameter rods.

If you Google, www.htpaa.org.au Page 26 Hand Tool Preservation Association of Australia, on page 27 there is an illustration of one.

They are listed in the 1938 W Marples catalogue, but only nos, 1,2,2A and 3, not No.8, so probably predates it. Also only one row of holes shown, and apparently suppliedm with taper Taps. with prices ranging from 22/6 to 35/-So quite expensive in their day, something akin to half a weeks wages?

There is a description as part 1 of the Wikionary definition.

Details and illustrations are hard to come by; hence this thread!

Howard

Thank you Howard,

Please excuse me for being a bit dim, but I couldn't find how to access pages on the Ausie website.

Thank you Brian H,

It looks like it's basically a die with a built in stock. Next stupid question. How were the internal threads cut in the die plate?

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Engineer or Model Engineers' Workshop? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Engineer & Model Engineers' Workshop

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
Warco
cowells
ChesterUK
Eccentric July 5 2018
emcomachinetools
EngineDIY
Eccentric Engineering
Subscription Offer

Latest "For Sale" Ads
Latest "Wanted" Ads
Get In Touch!

Do you want to contact the Model Engineer and Model Engineers' Workshop team?

You can contact us by phone, mail or email about the magazines including becoming a contributor, submitting reader's letters or making queries about articles. You can also get in touch about this website, advertising or other general issues.

Click THIS LINK for full contact details.

For subscription issues please see THIS LINK.

Digital Back Issues

Social Media online

'Like' us on Facebook
Follow us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter
 Twitter Logo

Pin us on Pinterest