By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Member postings for Bo'sun

Here is a list of all the postings Bo'sun has made in our forums. Click on a thread name to jump to the thread.

Thread: Paillon when Silver Soldering?
05/03/2021 16:28:25

Thanks All,

I think I'll try Jason's method next time. The paillons worked fine, if it wasn't for the flux bubbling up and moving them around away from the joint. Once the flux had gone "syrupy" I was able to reposition them and all was well. A bit of a faff none-the-less.

05/03/2021 15:47:17

Thanks Jason, that's what I thought. I think if you judge the number of pieces required right, it might save you using too much solder, that you may then have to get rid of.

05/03/2021 15:20:08

Good afternoon,

Simple question (I think).

"Paillons of Silver Solder". What is a paillon and what size is it?

Many thanks.

Thread: Brazing silver steel: any caveats/recommendations?
04/03/2021 15:01:58

I'd go for 1m lengths as Jason suggests. No worries then about alignment and joint strength. Yes, cost may be a consideration, but better safe than sorry in my book.

Thread: Machining phosphor bronzes
04/03/2021 09:54:53

Will "slow helix" drill bits work better than "standard" drill bits in phosphor bronze?

Thread: Warco 250WM Lathe - Speed readout problem
03/03/2021 12:00:40

I must admit, the magnets and pick-up do seem a bit vulnerable to contamination. It doesn't look to be the smartest design. Has anybody thought about some sort of cover, maybe using the pick-up bracket, or cable clip screws to secure it. Clearly not possible to get full coverage, and make it easy to remove, but as a famous supermarket says "every little helps".

Thread: Warco wm 250
03/03/2021 10:49:20

Hi Michael,

Paul M mentions referring to the operators manual, which in many cases is probably the correct course of action. Unfortunately, I've found the OM supplied with my WM250 to be pretty useless. It's several iterations out of date, has useful info' missing, and I certainly wouldn't rely on the parts list and accompanying diagrams.

Thread: Avoiding marking / scoring while using fixed steady.
01/03/2021 11:19:36

I'm not sure using rollers is the way to go, because unless you can keep swarf chips away, they will tend to get pressed/rolled into the work, making the problem worse. I've had the same issue with the roller blade guides on my woodworking bandsaw compacting resin onto the blade.

Rather than use shim stock, why not try softer aluminium from drinks cans. Damn, have to drink more beer.

Thread: Taper angle/length for spindle handle lock?
28/02/2021 17:57:33

Hello Dr,

I've just completed a winding handle for my WM250. Not sure what the angle was, but I used the bolt from a 16 dia x 145 (M12) "sleeve anchor".

Set the compound to skim the taper true. Then used the same setting to bore the internal taper for an expanding sleeve.

Hope that makes sense.

Thread: Countersink bits
27/02/2021 11:43:15

Thank you Michael. Now you mention it, I remember one of the guys at work using a piece of spent emery cloth.

Rod. I did try the "snail" type bits, and they worked realy well, but they didn't appear to be very hard. Probably meant for woodwork. I'll do a search and see if I can find them in HSS.

27/02/2021 11:22:46

Good morning,

When using HSS "rose" style countersink bits to countersink and chamfer holes in mild steel, how do I prevent them chattering? It occurs with both machine and hand operations.

It doesn't happen all the time, but when it does, it's impossible to correct.

I guess speed and lubrication might be the main considerations.

Thread: How to hold work for drilling on an ML7 using tailstock pad
26/02/2021 09:58:23
Posted by Malc on 24/02/2021 14:00:27:

Have had mine some time now and one of the first things I did was to make a “Holding strap” to keep work in place. Will try to post a picture.706c1085-b0a3-4622-8929-f6a62d31b241.jpeg

That now looks very similar to the "MT2 Tailstock Vee Adaptor" that I mentioned earlier from ARC. Wouldn't be without it.

Thread: Digital Callipers - again
25/02/2021 09:20:45

Another vote for Mitutoyo. The Moore & Wright "budget" digital callipers also work well (at least for me anyway).

Just worked out what the "absolute" function was for. Why on earth hadn't I worked it out before?

Thread: How to hold work for drilling on an ML7 using tailstock pad
24/02/2021 11:53:22

Hi George,

Unfortunately not. The distance between the clamping bolts is the limiting factor at just over 24mm. Also, I guess the tool is hardened.

24/02/2021 11:17:23

Hi,

I've been using an excellent bit of kit from ARC. It's called an "MT2 Tailstock Vee Adaptor". Great for drilling cross holes in stock up to 24mm dia. Just wish they did one with larger stock holding capacity up to around 30mm dia.

Thread: Collet Chuck for my CL250M?
23/02/2021 13:48:28

Hi Ian,

If you're looking at a morse taper mounted collet chuck, bare in mind that it won't be through bored, and will consequently limit the length of stock it can hold. If so, a collet chuck on a backplate might be worth considering.

Thread: RR Merlin Scale Models
20/02/2021 11:08:04

Fantastic model. I remember seeing it (or maybe another) some 30 odd years ago. From what I remember, it was at a model engineering show at the Wembly Conference centre. I was amazed how authentic it was when I think of the Merlin engine we had at the Ford trade school in the seventies.

Thread: Warco Lathe Query
18/02/2021 15:42:49

I see I'm not the only one still waiting to find out the "Warco question".

Thread: Warco 180 mini lathe
18/02/2021 11:56:58

Good morning Ken,

Had a similar issue with my WM250. Warco supplied a replacement speed control potentiometer under warranty and it fixed the problem. Contact cleaner might work if you could get it onto the track.

Thread: Pulley design
17/02/2021 11:27:57

For hobby use, I'd go along with Gerry. Just make sure the belt doesn't bottom out in the groove.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Engineer or Model Engineers' Workshop? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Engineer & Model Engineers' Workshop

Support Our Partners
JD Metals
emcomachinetools
ChesterUK
Eccentric July 5 2018
cowells
Warco
Eccentric Engineering
Subscription Offer

Latest "For Sale" Ads
Latest "Wanted" Ads
Get In Touch!

Do you want to contact the Model Engineer and Model Engineers' Workshop team?

You can contact us by phone, mail or email about the magazines including becoming a contributor, submitting reader's letters or making queries about articles. You can also get in touch about this website, advertising or other general issues.

Click THIS LINK for full contact details.

For subscription issues please see THIS LINK.

Digital Back Issues

Social Media online

'Like' us on Facebook
Follow us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter
 Twitter Logo

Pin us on Pinterest