By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Member postings for Bo'sun

Here is a list of all the postings Bo'sun has made in our forums. Click on a thread name to jump to the thread.

Thread: Electric vehicles
19/11/2020 08:34:10

It realy p""""s me off seeing these tree hugging eco warriors driving around in their humming milk floats labeled as being "carbon neutral" What on earth do they think was used to make it? And what will be used to recycle it?

I heard a guy from the SMMT saying, if you take into account the whole process (manufacture, running and disposal), the hybrid is no more beneficial than the latest diesel and petrol vehicles.

My guess is, this latest statement is aimed at being a kick up the arse to vehicle manufacturers to put more effort into more efficient and less polluting internal combustion engines.

As has been alluded to in this thread, charging hasn't been thought through properly. No surprise there then!

Thread: Warco HV mill
18/11/2020 11:58:28

Hi Robin,

As I mentioned previously, Warco customer service is very good (in my experience anyway). Hope you get it sorted.

Thread: Lathe levelling and alignment
17/11/2020 16:32:45
Posted by Thor on 17/11/2020 15:08:15:

Hi Keith,

Congratulations with your new lathe. I got less difference between chuck and tailstock end when I tested my 290 lathe the same way as you did. My lathe sits on a steel stand on a concrete floor. I assume you have already found Harold Hall's pages on Setting up a lathe, if not there is good advice to be found.

Thor

That's a very useful piece of information. Does it come from Harold's book "Lathework - A Complete Course"?

Thread: Warco HV mill
16/11/2020 14:14:45

Hello Robin,

I realise it's probably small comfort, but I've found Warco Customer Service to be extremely good. I just wish they'd take a closer look at what they're shipping out and promising their customers.

Thread: T51 Dixon style tool holders?
13/11/2020 11:25:00

Yes Tony, "varying machined dimensions" does indeed seem to be the issue. Further investigation shows the (for want of a better word) ears, that the top hat clamps onto, are around 0.50mm thinner than ones that work. A narrow 0.47mm (that's what I had) shim bonded to each ear does the job. Not perfect or desirable, but at least I now have a useable tool holder that works in both positions.

13/11/2020 10:19:37

Thanks for the replies.

All of the original tool holders supplied by Warco fit and clamp satisfactorily, so I'm reluctant to start swapping things around at this stage. I have however, got things to work with some narrow shims to improve the clamping force, so my initial thoughts are dimensional errors.

13/11/2020 09:25:02

Good morning,

In response to a previous topic of mine, I purchased an inexpensive T51 (as advertised) Dixon style tool holder from Amazon, hopefully to fit my Warco QCTP. I reasoned, that if it didn't fit, I hadn't lost much.

The tool holder duly arrived and appeared realy well made. It fitted one side of the QCTP perfectly, but the second side would barely clamp up. I'm guessing there's a dimensional issue?

Presumably (and I say that cautiously) there is some sort of dimensional standard for these? Anyone know where I can find one?

Thread: Recommendations for a good/decent mobile hoist?
12/11/2020 10:42:24

Bought a cheep 1 tonne engine hoist from Ebay to move and install my new lathe. Worked OK, but for the cast iron castors on a bumpy garage floor. Plan to sell it when I'm happy the lathe is going to stay where it is.

Oops! cheap not cheep.

Edited By Bo'sun on 12/11/2020 10:43:08

Thread: What are these? My first post.
11/11/2020 12:23:19

I like the idea of their use on a shadowgraph, but they may be too thick to produce an accurate profile.

Too many I think, and probably too precise for a teaching aid. I guess it could be missing, but as a teaching aid, they would need some sort of mounting board with adjustable shafts.

Interesting non-the-less. I can't wait for a definitive answer.

Thread: Plans for updating the archaic forum?
11/11/2020 09:23:52

I agree with what appears to be the majority view. Works fine for me, leave it as it is!

Thread: Dickson style QCTP?
10/11/2020 11:47:47

Thanks for the info' so far.

T51 looks promising, but dimensions do seem to vary. For example: 125 -150 in the title, but 90 - 115 in the detail, so who knows?

10/11/2020 09:26:42

Good morning,

I have a 125 - 150mm Dickson style QCTP from Warco, and they've been "out of stock" of compatible tool holders for many months. Has anyone sourced spare tool holders for said QCTP from elsewhere? Presumably they're sourced from the Far East, but also supplied to other machine tool suppliers?

Thread: Saddle stop
08/11/2020 10:39:24

Hi Michael,

Two of the angles were Warco WM250's and the other a US machine that bears a cunning resemblance to the WM250V.

08/11/2020 10:02:11

It would appear that many lathe owners make their own saddle stops. This then begs the question "why don't the lathe manufacturers make them?". I suspect it's because of the prism angle, although it looks to be 90 degrees, it varies quite a bit. Even within the same range of machines. Mine is 92 deg. but I've also seen 94 deg. and 88.4 deg. All on Weiss machines.

Any suggestions why this should be? It must make manufacturing more tricky, having to match the bedway and saddle. Surely 90 deg. would be the sensible option?

Thread: SDS. What is it?
07/11/2020 11:52:55

I think the problem with drilling concrete with a B&D style "hammer" drill is that, as soon as you hit a stone the drilling comes to a halt. Whereas, with SDS, the specific impact action is able to shatter stones.

Thread: Old Die Stock
06/11/2020 15:11:03

Presumably, round one piece dies are cheaper to make, but I do like the idea of two halves for cleaning.

Thread: Cleaning Internal Morse Tapers
05/11/2020 10:22:11

Thanks Nigel, that's probably what I saw. They are very reasonably priced compared to some I've come across from Kennedy.

05/11/2020 08:27:29

Not sure if I'm imagining it, but some while ago I seem to recall seeing MT's with abrasive strips to clean (not re-form) morse taper sockets.

Thread: Warco experience - WM18B
03/11/2020 17:07:40

Hi Dave,

You're not alone, my WM250's manual was several iterations out of date, with an incomplete and inaccurate parts list. Not that the manual was overly useful anyway. Much was obvious, and some important bits not mentioned.

Having said all that, I couldn't fault Warco's customer service. I just wish they'd be a bit more honest with their advertising and check what they're selling. It's left a bit of a sour taste I'm afraid.

Thread: Machining Cast Iron?
03/11/2020 08:45:32
Posted by Dennis Pataki on 02/11/2020 21:44:48:

Bo'sun, I'm thinking concentricity. Not familiar with your particular project, but if part is machined mounted on the lathe spindle for which it is intended, concentricity is pretty much assured.

Regarding material, free cutting mild steel might be a good choice too.

Hi Dennis,

Very pleased with the result. 0.006mm TIR on the tapered bore of the ER32 Collet Chuck. I think much of it was probably luck.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Engineer or Model Engineers' Workshop? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Engineer & Model Engineers' Workshop

Support Our Partners
emcomachinetools
EngineDIY
Eccentric July 5 2018
cowells
Warco
ChesterUK
Eccentric Engineering
Subscription Offer

Latest "For Sale" Ads
Latest "Wanted" Ads
Get In Touch!

Do you want to contact the Model Engineer and Model Engineers' Workshop team?

You can contact us by phone, mail or email about the magazines including becoming a contributor, submitting reader's letters or making queries about articles. You can also get in touch about this website, advertising or other general issues.

Click THIS LINK for full contact details.

For subscription issues please see THIS LINK.

Digital Back Issues

Social Media online

'Like' us on Facebook
Follow us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter
 Twitter Logo

Pin us on Pinterest