By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Member postings for Julian Saunders 1

Here is a list of all the postings Julian Saunders 1 has made in our forums. Click on a thread name to jump to the thread.

Thread: Hello from Julz, new member
23/01/2020 20:26:12

Bill, I was lucky enough to get the stuff for my hacks gratis...actually a swap...BSL bearings had bought out Fenner, and a skip sat outside which they allowed me to fill a Sierra with 0.5 tons of pulleys, belts etc...I then swapped half of it for the kit to upgrade mine...your outfit looks the bizz...how much did the motor and controller cost for yours ? The motor for mine is as long as the lathe..I'll be taking some pics tomorrow, hopefully.

22/01/2020 21:19:47

Thank you, Neil, I'll get in the shed as soon as it's a bit warmer, and after I have seen the nurse on Friday !! I'll post a pic of the S/S and phosphor bronze and brass 3" rotary table i have made for it, as well. Julz

Thread: Robot Wars
22/01/2020 19:02:28

The show got awkward when some of the spectators were damaged !! The chap at the beeb who was elf and safety was also a bit awkward. Rex Garrod, who would have come first in the very first BBC series, if the guy who won hadn't added to the wieght of his robot, related to me how when Rex appeaered with a flip type robot, using CO2 as the force behind the flipper arrangement, the efl and safety guy went nuts, saying CO2 was dangerous...yet the fire extinguishers had it in ??? Rex set the flipper to 1/10th of its power, as he had calculated it could have sent a Transit van over the roof of his house, had it been fully loaded. The efl n safety man also checked Rex's router, left plugged in, but off at the wall and on the router, when doing a wooden floor at the BBC, when Rex returned from his lunch and plugged it in it ran right across the newly laid wooden floor, as the elf n safety guy had very unsafley left the router on, when he pat tested it. (It already had a pat test pass, btw,)

Thread: Unimat 3 Mill head Modulus
22/01/2020 18:00:53

I made a new quill out of free cutting steel, 40mm to house tapered bearings, for the Uniamt, and like you, noticed the issue you describe, I used a horizontal cutter holder and ground the tip to the correct profile by eye and feel, I then used a Chester milling machine to hold the new quill whilst I cut the new rack, unfortunately I'm going to have to redo one day, as the Chinese seem to have used an imperial gear in THEIR quill rack, which approximates metric, but not anywhere near the accuracy I was working to, 0.001mm, over the length of the new quill (I made a new alloy vertical head to accomodate the new quill, which has more feed depth) . Moral, never trust a cheap Chinese fine vertical feed or quill !!

Thread: Unimat 3 underpowered ?
22/01/2020 17:15:05

The Unimat 3 can be very accurate, I have made a 40.000mm quill to upgrade the vertical milling to tapered bearings, I have used it to make master patterns for Matchbox and Corgi, its accuracy was always great. I have upgraded the motors to a 0.5kw DC for main, and a 0.3KW 3 phase with controller on each motor, with reverse. Takes a 1" brass bar down to 0.5" in one pass, the Myford doth protest when I try it on that !!

Thread: Unimat 3 thread cutting attachment
22/01/2020 17:01:55

The threading attachment is brillaint, if a little time consuming to set up. I have even made my own leaders, and followers, to expand the range of threads.

Thread: Hello from Julz, new member
22/01/2020 16:52:31

Hello fellow model engineers. I see that others use a Unimat 3, I bought one 40 years ago in Holland, and when returned to the UK discovered the voltage difference caused the motor to overheat, so with the help of Rex Garrod, (robot wars fame, etc) I changed the power to a 0.5kw DC motor, with speed controller, I made new toothed pulleys and swapped to toothed belts. It is now capable of reducing a 1" brass bar to 0.5" in a single pass. As for the oilite bearings on the verticle milling attachement, I had Manganese Bronze of Ipswich do a refit when I had 0.3mm end slop, they sent it back with new bearings and 0.5mm end slop, I'm sad to report, so I made a new larger head, 40.000mm turned slide, stuck in 2 big taper bearings, and put a 0.3hp 3 phase motor on, with speed control, and reverse, you can't stop it with your hand when it goes slow, drills down to 0.3mm lovely, managed to get it to 1/000mm accuracy making alloy adjustable head. I have used the machine an awful lot, have reground the bed a few times...I actually have 3 of the machines !! Used mostly for master patterns for Matchbox and Corgi, Scaledown, Border Fine Arts etc.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Engineer or Model Engineers' Workshop? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Engineer & Model Engineers' Workshop

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
cowells
Allendale Electronics
ChesterUK
emcomachinetools
Warco
Eccentric July 5 2018
Eccentric Engineering
Subscription Offer

Latest "For Sale" Ads
Latest "Wanted" Ads
Get In Touch!

Do you want to contact the Model Engineer and Model Engineers' Workshop team?

You can contact us by phone, mail or email about the magazines including becoming a contributor, submitting reader's letters or making queries about articles. You can also get in touch about this website, advertising or other general issues.

Click THIS LINK for full contact details.

For subscription issues please see THIS LINK.

Digital Back Issues

Social Media online

'Like' us on Facebook
Follow us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter
 Twitter Logo

Pin us on Pinterest