By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Member postings for mike barrett 1

Here is a list of all the postings mike barrett 1 has made in our forums. Click on a thread name to jump to the thread.

Thread: Nostalgic moment
24/05/2022 13:25:42

from the DVLA site it is taxed (exempt) till 2023 so still aorund!

Vehicle make
AUSTIN
Date of first registration
September 1934
Year of manufacture
Cylinder capacity
747 cc
CO₂ emissions
Not available
Fuel type
PETROL
Euro status
Not available
Real Driving Emissions (RDE)
Not available
Export marker
No
Vehicle status
Taxed
Vehicle colour
BLUE
Vehicle type approval
Not available
Wheelplan
2 AXLE RIGID BODY
Revenue weight
Not available
Date of last V5C (logbook) issued
15 February 2016
Thread: Warco digital readout broken
14/12/2021 08:18:23
Posted by Clive Steer on 13/12/2021 20:16:17:

Usually there is also a glass scale on the read head that produces a interference pattern with the main glass scale and I've have one of these becoming detached. I'm not sure you'll see the LED's light up as they are normally Infra-red but not sure what modern scales may use.

Clive

I will have another look at it. Although I have brought a new one I would like to fix the old one or understand whats broken.

Mike

14/12/2021 08:17:10
Posted by Dave Halford on 13/12/2021 19:44:50:

Remove an end plate, slide the head out and use a tissue and alcohol to clean the glass.

Did you check that the led lights?

did take the head out and cleaned everything. Couldnt check the LED as I think there are IR. Might try again using a IR receiver and a scope.
Would still like to repair it.

Thread: The last Gravity Ropeway
17/07/2021 07:53:34

Lynton and Lynmouth Cliff Railway is worth a visit.
Powered by a stream that fills the top train tank, when its full, brakes realesed and down the hill it goes.
At the bottom of the hill the water is discharged and the top train is filled and the process repeated.

Run by water from a stream, brilliant.

Mike

Thread: Thread on front forks on a Raleigh bike
31/05/2021 09:00:46
Posted by mike barrett on 24/05/2021 09:31:58:
Posted by Bo'sun on 24/05/2021 09:03:23:

Good morning Mike,

Before you get too involved, check that your selected plain steerer will accept the quill.

Good point! One of the problems is finding any technical (sizes) details of what being sold on line.
I think I need to find an old school bike shop to visit.
Also thinking of going back to see if I could rebuild the original forks. The springs have rusted badly but I should be able to replace them. There are a couple of plastic bushes that are worn but i could make new ones.
the part I dont understand is what stopped the forks coming apart, They now fall apart. There was no bottom fixing as far as I could see unless it has rusted away. I cant find a manual for the original forks, The company used to publish manual but was taken over and the manual doesnt seem to be available any more.

regards Mike

I have had a reply from RST Europe. No manual or spares for the original forks (no surprising) but they did send me a pdf showing all the parts in the original folks.
There was a boss at the bottom of the spring that was bolted with an bolt into the bottom of the tube.
None of that is left as the bottom half of the spring has turned to rust. But at least it explains why it fell apart! Will try to clean out all the rust from inside the forks to see it I can find the bottom threaded hole!
I would still like to repair the originals forks

Glad others are keeping old bikes running, but not planning on doing any off roading!

Mike

24/05/2021 08:09:43

I have a 1990's Raleigh bike which has RST suspension fronts forks. The forks have fallen apart (inside springs rusted away) and I dont think I can repair them,
I want to replace then but cant anything similar. The steering shaft from the forks is140mm long and have a threaded end to retain the top bearing and are 38.6mm (1 1/8" diameter. The handle bars use a quill fitting inside the shaft.

Most forks are now plain with a clamp to hold the bearing. I cant find a threaded shaft version that is only 140mm long so was wondering if I could buy a plain version and then cut the shaft down to size and cut a thread on it.

The question is what thread is used on the shaft and where can I buy a die for it?
Any suggestions welcome. I am trying to keep as much of bike original if possible.

Thanks Mike

Thread: electric wool spinning wheel
06/09/2020 21:30:50

Robert

Too easy and yes I have done that but was interested if anyone here had built one.

mike

06/09/2020 21:09:39

my wife is doing a lot of wool spinning using a traditional spinning wheel.

I suggested it need an electric motor to drive it rather than a treadle foot driven one so she has given me the challenge to build one!
There are some quite neat features on a spinning wheel, the spool seems to be driven by friction between the main shaft and the spool, there is a brake (sprung loaded belt around the spool. All this changes how much spin you put on the wool and the rate of uptake on the spool.

So before I get stuck in to build one has anyone else every built an electric spinning wheel.

Thanks

mike

Thread: London Model Engineering Exhibition 2020
19/01/2020 08:42:07

I think you are right (I too recently brought a cheap CNC router to play with) it needs to be change and embrace new technology ie 3D printing, CNC machining etc. There was nothing there for those users.

My wife is a keen knitter and the knitting shows are booming. We went to Wool Week in Shetland and there were people from all round the world coming to a week of woolly stuff. By the end of the week most accommodation was already booked for 2020! All the weeks courses and shows were fully booked months in advance.

The other problem is the age of the visitors, look around they are all a bit old. Its the same in the classic car world the average age if going up and not enough young people coming. The classic car world has other problems including anti car feeling/interest..

BTW I really liked the little display of the welder in the engine shed (Chelmsford eng society?) someone had used a coloured LED to represent arc welding, with the colour changing from white as the arc was struck to red as the job cooled down. Not really engineering but very clever.

mike

18/01/2020 22:36:03

yes everything is changing....

I have run Triumph classic cars for ~35 years (Herald, Dolly, Stag, TR6 Gt6....etc) been going to classic car shows and over the years the number of parts dealers has gone to almost nothing. Part of it is that a lot of stuff is sold on Ebay and online and its no longer worth the traders going to shows...
I feel the same might be happening with the Model Engineering exhibitions, I hope not....
I have always enjoyed the London show but disappointed by the show. Will try the Doncaster show later this year. For me it more than the show but a chance to meet friends and have a catch up.

Mike

17/01/2020 20:30:19

I have been for the last 4 years and always enjoyed the show. But this year I found it very disappointing, a lot of the regular companies and stalls missing and I think fewer engineering clubs. Very quiet compared to last year, I left after about 90 mins.

I wonder what has changed? has the cost of being there gone up (Ally Pally or the exhibition company) that has put companies off?

Real shame as I have always enjoyed this show.... Probably wont go next year.
Interested what other think...

Mike

(in Cambridge)

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Engineer or Model Engineers' Workshop? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Engineer & Model Engineers' Workshop

Support Our Partners
Eccentric Engineering
cowells
Eccentric July 5 2018
Rapid RC
Dreweatts
Subscription Offer

Latest "For Sale" Ads
Latest "Wanted" Ads
Get In Touch!

Do you want to contact the Model Engineer and Model Engineers' Workshop team?

You can contact us by phone, mail or email about the magazines including becoming a contributor, submitting reader's letters or making queries about articles. You can also get in touch about this website, advertising or other general issues.

Click THIS LINK for full contact details.

For subscription issues please see THIS LINK.

Digital Back Issues

Social Media online

'Like' us on Facebook
Follow us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter
 Twitter Logo

Pin us on Pinterest