By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Member postings for Swarfy

Here is a list of all the postings Swarfy has made in our forums. Click on a thread name to jump to the thread.

Thread: Help choosing my lathe
22/01/2020 18:00:53
Posted by Brian H on 22/01/2020 17:57:30:

If you'r more at home with Imperial then I'd go for that. If a metric job comes along then there's always the calculator.

You could always fit the DRO at a later date, when your wife has forgotten about it.

Brian

When I was working I always had 25.4 and .03937 programmed into the calculators memory

Thread: Torx Grub Screws?
22/01/2020 17:54:46
Posted by Vic on 22/01/2020 16:35:41:

Torx are much less likely to round off the socket, particularly in the smaller sizes.

Have to agree there torx are far superior in small sizes ,that’s why toolholders have torx to hold the inserts in

Thread: Help choosing my lathe
22/01/2020 17:52:10
Posted by Nick M0NPH on 22/01/2020 17:41:04:

If you have / get a DRO fitted it wont matter as that will work in both

just an idea

Trouble is that’s more £s and the wife only just agreed to the stand to go with it ,

22/01/2020 17:33:33

Hi

I’m about to buy a lathe and after deliberating for days I think I’m settled on the warco 250v now I’m 67 years old and have been a precision engineer since I was 15 I served my apprenticeship at MK electrics in Southend then after that a plugboard setter at a local engineers for 30 years then a CNC programmer setter running my own shop working on everything from automotive ,medical, aerospace motor sport etc .i did spend a few years machining high pressure fittings for oil and gas which were mainly American imperial sizes

my question is the lathe I want is only available at the moment in imperial metric will be available mid feb ,now I’m not bothered about the wait but do I get the imperial model it does both threads anyway and I still think in thous my mics are imperial although I have metric as well so not a big problem just I’m inches man ! Can anyone see a problem me getting imperial or should I wait and get modern and go mm any advice one way or the other would be appreciated

cheers mick

Thread: New from Essex
17/01/2020 12:50:23

Hi all

I’m mick and hail from sunny Southend (lol) I’ve been retired now for 4 years now and need to purchase a lathe I haven’t got a specific use for it but I’m into quite a few hobbies and I keep wishing I had a lathe again

I run my own sliding head company for 20 years hands on with 5cnc lathes and Colchester bantam etc and when ever I needed to make something I either programmed my cnc,s or manual turned it ,boy do I miss that I keep finding I need a part turned and have to find another way .

im looking at the Warco 250v as it seems a lot of lathe and tech for the money I wouldn’t want a Myford or a mini lathe and I need to be able to get it down the garden ,

tia for any advice

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Engineer or Model Engineers' Workshop? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Engineer & Model Engineers' Workshop

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
ChesterUK
EngineDIY
Eccentric July 5 2018
Warco
emcomachinetools
cowells
Eccentric Engineering
Subscription Offer

Latest "For Sale" Ads
Latest "Wanted" Ads
Get In Touch!

Do you want to contact the Model Engineer and Model Engineers' Workshop team?

You can contact us by phone, mail or email about the magazines including becoming a contributor, submitting reader's letters or making queries about articles. You can also get in touch about this website, advertising or other general issues.

Click THIS LINK for full contact details.

For subscription issues please see THIS LINK.

Digital Back Issues

Social Media online

'Like' us on Facebook
Follow us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter
 Twitter Logo

Pin us on Pinterest