By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Member postings for Steviegtr

Here is a list of all the postings Steviegtr has made in our forums. Click on a thread name to jump to the thread.

Thread: Making an adjustable vice stop
16/06/2021 14:53:02
Posted by Andy_G on 16/06/2021 01:27:17:

On your anodising - I use sodium bisulphate and it works well. There's definitely something wrong with your early attempts (maybe the readout on the PSU was wrong??) I spotted that you were using a steel screw - that's an absolute no-no. I work on 6A per sq ft which means I need ~23Volts at the end of the process (less early on) which is roughly what you were using on the second attempts and it takes ~2 hours to build up a reasonable thickness.(Some examples here: **LINK**

IME, if the part will take dye after anodising, then the colour should hold after sealing. Your poor result at the end is probably due to a bad electrical connection somewhere - maybe where the hanger rests on the busbar (better to use clamp screws, rather than rely on gravity) or if you're re-using aluminium hangers - they need to be sanded or stripped in caustic between uses (titanium hangers don't.). Mark Preisling did a good video on this.

Andy . The 1st attempts were all wrong. I used steel screws & stainless bolts. Now i use just the alloy tig rids wedged into a hole . Yes i was not leaving the parts in the bath for long enough. Thanks for the comments , all taken on board.

Steve.

16/06/2021 14:43:36
Posted by Martin King 2 on 16/06/2021 08:08:42:

Stevie, May I please ask where you got the Bristol Clamping Levers?

Cheers, Martin

Ebay Number

Steve.

16/06/2021 14:41:40
Posted by John Haine on 16/06/2021 10:11:58:

Stevie, any chance you could post a photo of the finished item please, so we can judge if we want to watch the video?

Certainly. Just busy doing some work for a friend , but i will take some later today & post.

Steve.

Thread: Barbeque Time
15/06/2021 19:01:09

Not Football but love a good Barby. Now i just have to find some friends to invite me. Hmm.

Steve.

15/06/2021 18:59:44

Yes that was my main reason for purchase. The Abwood only opened 3 1/2".

Steve.

15/06/2021 18:43:57

Hi old mart.

The new vise is pretty good. I do not think it has the grip of my Abwood , but for what i do it will suffice. The jaws open up to around 6". Which for a 4" vise is great. The main screw is not acme, but hey for the cost !!!.

Steve.

Thread: Hello from South Africa
15/06/2021 18:36:40

Hello & welcome Paul.

Steve.

15/06/2021 00:45:44

I recently fitted a Arc eurotrade precision vice to my milling machine. I decided to have a go at making a adjustable stop for it. I watched many video's on youtube. In the end i made one that i thought was best for my needs. There is also another video of anodising the part & other parts too. If you decide to watch both then i am sorry but it will be 1 1/2 hours of your life you will never get back.

Unfortunately i do not make drawings for parts i make. I talk them through on the youtube video's. Sort of ad lib. Always been like that. Brain in overdrive. Anyone deciding to watch then enjoy. I will wait to be told to grab my coat.

Steve.

Adjustable vice stop ,long video. get a cup of tea.

Colour anodising alloy parts without battery acid

Thread: What lathe pointers
14/06/2021 15:37:31

My lathe is a Myford Super7B & i love it. However i know it is only a small lathe. If i had room of which i do not, then something like a Colchester student 2000 would be what i would like to have or a similar machine with bigger swing etc. Or a Harrison M300.

Steve.

Thread: New Myford owner, have a few questions
14/06/2021 02:09:22

Hey Sub. I have a super 7B around 1975. I also have pretty much all the manuals available for the super 7. All in good clear diagrams. If you need any just yell or P.M me & i will email them to you. When you have it completely stripped , i think once all the crappy gunge has been cleaned off then, all will go back ok.

Steve.

Thread: How long does it take to make things?
13/06/2021 01:56:40

Me about a week. Then it would be wrong & have to do it again.

Steve.

Thread: Small steam fair at Squires cafe Leeds
12/06/2021 22:47:48

If any of you live in the Leeds area. There is a small meet of traction engines in the top field at Squires motorcycle riders cafe at Newthorpe near Sherburn in elmete. It is on tomorrow Sunday 13th june. Entrance free.

Some nice engines being driven around. Plus a Steam motorcycle that is a one off build. Some members may know the guy who made it.

Steve.

steam bike 2.jpg

steam bike.jpg

Edited By Steviegtr on 12/06/2021 22:48:22

Thread: Calculating Diameter
12/06/2021 22:21:41
Posted by David Couling on 12/06/2021 21:07:56:

Thank you guys for all of you helpful inputs....things are becoming more clear. I'm looking to cut mainly metric threads to start with (although the lathe is imperial and fitted with a gearbox) but I have the T33 and T34 gears for the mandrel to convert.

I have downloaded some metric course and fine thread tables which I think will help. I need to study them and to make some practice cuts, and I've ordered a Zeus book.

I appreciate all of you help....thanks....David

Hi David. I believe you will need to make a New thingy. (cannot remember what they are called.) to use the 33-34 gear set. I have a drawing of such an item. So hold on while i find it. Ok so it is called a drop arm & here is the drawing for it. Your welcome.

Steve.

drop arm for 33 34 teeth gears.jpg

Thread: A bit more upcycling.
12/06/2021 22:14:26

Very nice. Good work.

Steve.

Thread: Some rather crass “Model Engineering” from Mercedes
12/06/2021 22:07:17

Wonder it does not have a parking ticket.

Steve.

Thread: Yet another scam
11/06/2021 19:30:41

This last week i have been plagued with txt & emails from the Royal mail, wanting postal payments. What i don't get is surely the gov will be chasing them. Using the crest & Royal mail name.

Steve.

Thread: uv ballast
09/06/2021 15:54:21
Posted by Phil H1 on 09/06/2021 15:31:26:

Chaps, I have a pond, the water is crystal clear and I have nothing, no equipment, no filters - nothing. Am I lucky - why do you need UV and filters etc?

Phil H

Phil yes you are a lucky chappy. I have all sorts of filters etc on my Koi pond & struggle to keep it clear. Especially now the Sun is blazing. Making the green Algae.

Steve.

09/06/2021 15:52:46

I just changed mine . The new one was fitted & did not work. While stripping down to see if i could see anything wrong, i spotted a micro switch. Mine is a Pondtech combined filter & UV. Unless the UV i situated & fixed in it's position it does not work. All ok now. So just make sure it does not have a safety switch somewhere.

Steve.

Thread: Air tools
07/06/2021 21:55:48

I have quite a lot of air tools. My compressor is a large 150 litre. 14 cfm. The air tools push the compressor to the limit. So i do not think any air tools would be suitable for your needs. As already said by most comments posted.

Steve.

Thread: Is Liquid PTFE Any Good For Airlines?
07/06/2021 15:49:02

Yes as Howard says or you could use locktite. Not sure which one though.

Steve.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Engineer or Model Engineers' Workshop? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Engineer & Model Engineers' Workshop

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
emcomachinetools
Warco
walker midge
JD Metals
Eccentric July 5 2018
rapid Direct
cowells
Eccentric Engineering
Subscription Offer

Latest "For Sale" Ads
Latest "Wanted" Ads
Get In Touch!

Do you want to contact the Model Engineer and Model Engineers' Workshop team?

You can contact us by phone, mail or email about the magazines including becoming a contributor, submitting reader's letters or making queries about articles. You can also get in touch about this website, advertising or other general issues.

Click THIS LINK for full contact details.

For subscription issues please see THIS LINK.

Digital Back Issues

Social Media online

'Like' us on Facebook
Follow us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter
 Twitter Logo

Pin us on Pinterest