By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Member postings for Steviegtr

Here is a list of all the postings Steviegtr has made in our forums. Click on a thread name to jump to the thread.

Thread: Milling machines - western-made s/h recommendations up to 2k
02/07/2021 22:16:52

William, there are lots of machinery move companies around the uk. Google it. That Centec does look like a nice machine. With that head you have the best of both worlds.

Steve.

Thread: Tooling Auction
02/07/2021 14:32:51

There is some serious gear there. Brilliant. Thanks for the link. Shame i was not younger, i would be in for a lot of that gear. Obviously to cash in on. I am sure many forum members will be having a punt on some of that gear.

Steve.

Thread: Model Engineer's Auction
01/07/2021 22:48:30

Wow some tackle there. Lot 89. Griptru chuck worth a fortune.

Steve.

01/07/2021 11:10:01

I realise that they are very rare. With that i cannot advise William. I guess i just got lucky.

From memory i did spend quite a few months trolling around before finding mine on Ebay.

Not sure but someone told me that Tom Senior were taken over by Denford.

Steve.

01/07/2021 00:51:16

I still think the Tom Senior is better than the mills mentioned. If you can find a light vertical in good nick i would go for it. The one i originally wanted was the Seig sx3.5 with all the bells & whistles, But ARC eurotrade was not ready to sell me one . So i went for a UK made machine.

Steve.

30/06/2021 15:13:40

+1 for Jason's post. I would not be without the mill DRO. + yes my 40+ yr old machine has backlash, but does not matter with the readout.

Steve.

Thread: Easy Start
29/06/2021 23:37:51

If you are worried about easy start , just use a gas blowlamp without lighting it. I started many engines with it.

Steve.

29/06/2021 23:25:19

Hi William. I have skipped a few pages but i have the Tom Senior light vertical. Love it, They have 16+ inches of knee travel. I have powered mine. I think around 3" of quill travel with fine feed. The table is a 28 1/2" long. I think they weigh in at 370Kg from memory. MT2 spindle which some say is small but i have used it a lot & never had a problem with any kind of vibration from it. I think it was £1500 when bought 2 years ago, complete with a full 3 axis Mdro fitted & inverter. . Double that though with tooling & mods done to it. Would i swap it. Not a chance. Beautifully made machine. Of course i would say that wouldn't I. Hope you find what you are looking for. I have plenty of youtube video's using the mill . One shows me using a 65mm face cutter with no issues.

Steve.

Thread: Chester 626 X axis backlash
28/06/2021 17:43:44

I do not know the machine, but couldn't you bond the nut in place.

Steve.

Thread: Hello everyone!
27/06/2021 18:45:13

Welcome James.

Steve.

Thread: My ambitions
25/06/2021 20:07:58

Welcome Leslie. When you have produced something, then pictures. Lots of them.

Steve.

Thread: dirty clutch trick
25/06/2021 20:00:05

Some ride on lawnmowers use the same principal for the drive cutters.

Steve.

Thread: Can I use a NiCD Battery charger on a NiMH battery?
24/06/2021 13:54:28

I have had a few for the 2 Makita drills i have. The only difference is that it takes twice as long to charge, with the original charger.

Steve.

Thread: Hello
21/06/2021 21:28:04

Yes Jyorge welcome along.

Steve.

Thread: Moving machines
20/06/2021 22:38:39

Most hire shops will have an engine hoist.

Steve.

Thread: Making an adjustable vice stop
16/06/2021 19:16:04
Posted by Ian Johnson 1 on 16/06/2021 19:06:26:

Thanks for sharing the video Steve, if your results are anything to go by it's given me the urge to try anodising. And I didn't know of that alternative to sulphuric acid.

IanJ

Yes it works. I cannot tell you the ratio. I put an amount of S.B in the water & mixed it. It turned out not to be enough. I could not get any current to flow. I mixed some more & it worked fine. My 1st attempts were bad, because i had introduced steel in the bath. Once i had made sure i only had alloy in there it worked. Another thing i found was to give it plenty of time in the bath. Well over an hour at a low current. I did one with the current at about 6 amps on a small part & it just ate it away. Good luck. If i can do it anyone can. The great thing is once you have the materials . Lots of parts can be done for very little outlay.

Steve.

Thread: Kerry Engineering Super 8 Mk1 Pillar Drill
16/06/2021 18:17:31

Maybe a few more posts 1st.

Steve.

Thread: Air tools
16/06/2021 18:14:43

Stephen, i commented earlier in this thread , but omited to say. Using a die grinder or any air tool can be ran from any compressor. It is the time thing. Example. I used one & other air tools to mirror polish a Suzuki motorcycle frame & swing arm. I was using the tools all day long. The compressor was pretty much flat out all the time. If i had a small job to do then your small compressor may well do the job. Pic shown of mine. US pro tools do one as do Bergen tools. Then the trusty Draper ones. Too many to list. Electric ones i cannot comment . As an aside if you do go the air route you need a good set of ear defenders as they are noisy sods.

Steve.

die grinder.jpg

Edited By Steviegtr on 16/06/2021 18:16:19

Thread: Exeter gets new carriage shed
16/06/2021 16:38:15
Posted by roy entwistle on 16/06/2021 14:46:27:

The link worked for me. I also like the steam bike

I was talking to the guy & his other half at Squires cafe steam fair last weekend. Lovely thing. Never seen one before.

Steve.

Thread: Making an adjustable vice stop
16/06/2021 16:31:53

As asked for . Some pictures of the finished product.

Steve.

for me 8.jpg

for me 7.jpg

for me 6.jpg

for me 4.jpg

for me 3.jpg

for me 2.jpg

for me 1.jpg

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Engineer or Model Engineers' Workshop? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Engineer & Model Engineers' Workshop

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
emcomachinetools
Warco
walker midge
JD Metals
Eccentric July 5 2018
rapid Direct
cowells
Eccentric Engineering
Subscription Offer

Latest "For Sale" Ads
Latest "Wanted" Ads
Get In Touch!

Do you want to contact the Model Engineer and Model Engineers' Workshop team?

You can contact us by phone, mail or email about the magazines including becoming a contributor, submitting reader's letters or making queries about articles. You can also get in touch about this website, advertising or other general issues.

Click THIS LINK for full contact details.

For subscription issues please see THIS LINK.

Digital Back Issues

Social Media online

'Like' us on Facebook
Follow us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter
 Twitter Logo

Pin us on Pinterest