By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Member postings for Steviegtr

Here is a list of all the postings Steviegtr has made in our forums. Click on a thread name to jump to the thread.

Thread: Myford owners
10/02/2022 04:45:08

I made a few carriage locks for the Myford. The idea was to sell them to make a buck.

They have been sat on the bench for over a year now gathering dust. So i decided to give them away.

Have a watch of the video if you want one.

Myford carriage lock

Steve.

Thread: New highway code rule.
06/02/2022 00:33:18

So on a sombre note to all this. My mate thought he would try out these new rules. He walked in front of a steam roller.

Anyone who knows him can visit him in the local hospital. He can be found in wards 8- 9 & 10.

Steve.

Sorry coat & hat on.

Thread: Heat resistant paint suitable for a camp stove?
06/02/2022 00:26:06

Go to your local car acc shop. They do exhaust paint in many colours. It takes very high heat to destroy it.

Steve.

Thread: Electricity Supply - Fun with Statistics
06/02/2022 00:23:07

Don't worry guys. As soon as the government take all the Petrol / diesel cars off the road. We will be back to a gazillion gigawatts & we can all go back to the future.

Steve.

Thread: Non-warping Wood for Base?
06/02/2022 00:17:08

Mainly the most stable of woods is Hardwood. It is expensive, but If you used say solid oak. It would never move. But your bank account would.

Steve.

Thread: Cormak milling machines
04/02/2022 17:46:43

If you look at Jon's workshop on youtube, I think he has one. Don't know if he has done a revue on it , but maybe worth a look. Or even punch Cormack in on youtube. There must be plenty who have them.

Steve.

Thread: 4th dro on a milling machine
04/02/2022 17:42:31
Posted by Mike Poole on 04/02/2022 10:05:12:

Hi Steve, I don’t know if you considered it but MDRO sell a summing unit that will make the display for Z show the result of moving the knee or the quill, it could be useful sometimes if you wish to move the quill and still know the position of the tool in Z. It does need both encoders to be quadrature type so a bit late now but it may be handy to know for future reference or somebody else contemplating displaying quill movement.

Mike

Hi Mike. I did see someone fitting one of those the other day & wondered what it was & how it worked. It would have been maybe a better bet. Never mind it's done now. Thanks for the info.

Steve.

04/02/2022 03:42:02

As the title. I bought a dro from M-dro in the uk.

When i bought my Tom senior. It came with a very nice M-DRO 3 axis fitted & has been great. Especially as the old Tom senior has worn nuts to all axis. It did not have one for the Quill. So i purchased 1 to retro fit. I have not actually used it yet, but got it finally fitted & working tonight 3rd Feb 2022. I am sure it could be adapted to fit any mill. Although I know quite a few Chinese import mills come with them already fitted these days.

If anyone has any interest in fitting one to there machine or just want to have a peak. Have a look at the 2 vids i have posted. I will iterate once again that this & all my video's will be of no use at all to any of the Pro's on here, of which there are many. But for the Amateurs like me, they maybe of some use.

Please i do not mind criticism so fire away.

Steve.

https://youtu.be/kT2qYrbq1_M

Edited By Steviegtr on 04/02/2022 03:44:48

Thread: Newton Tesla lathe package
02/02/2022 02:20:51
Posted by Clive Steer on 02/02/2022 01:14:10:

I don't believe the specs require two earths but if the electrical safety of a machine or instruments relies on a earth being present then a single failure of that earth connection could result in the machine or instrument becoming unsafe. One way to overcome this situation is to have two earths so if one failed there is the other. However if both earth wires are hidden then you may not know that one has already failed and you're back to single failure situation. Regular testing or a method to prove the earth is present before power can be applied is possible but a visual check is relatively simple to do.

Every a domestic ring main socket outlet has two earth wires and an earth wire from the socket earth to the metal back box in case the screws don't provide good contact or get left out. Another example is a domestic metal kitchen sink is required to have second earth in case one isn't provided by the pipework.

Clive S

I think you will find that is called suplimentary bonding.

In my 50 some years as a sparky we never ran 2 earth wires . Sometimes the conduit was an earth & the installation would have an earth wire too. But a plugged in appliance with a 13a plug top fitted would never have a extra earth wire. Where would you connect it. I think were some are not understanding this is.

On my Myford lathe a young 1970's model. It had a cable with a 13a plug fitted . In the motor control box where the earth connected , there was another earth wire attached , which came out of the terminal box & bolted to the side of the lathe bed. Not sure if that was standard or done by someone over the years.

It would not hurt to take a earth from your incoming cable connection & run to the frame of any machine.

Steve.

Thread: New workshop - Quart into a Pint Pot!
01/02/2022 18:45:25

That looks very neat Martyn.

Steve.

Thread: EU Customs Tariif codes for hand tools?
31/01/2022 01:20:00

Oh dualing pistols at the ready. No political postings allowed guys. Just an answer to the original question would surfice.

Steve.

Thread: Dutchman in Wiltshire
30/01/2022 17:57:04

I have an old British lathe, but the Warco seems to be a popular machine for many, and very good too. Not sure if it is badged up as Grisly in the states. Good look with your search.

Steve.

Thread: unknown thread of this tap
27/01/2022 17:15:04

Fine thread

Steve.

Thread: My Minnie
26/01/2022 21:28:04

Bet that will look great when finished. All the best with the build.

Steve.

Thread: Another Mancave owner
26/01/2022 20:26:01
Posted by Stephen Cassidy on 26/01/2022 19:11:06:

Thanks for sharing Stevie , I have spotted your videos previously . Nice lathe too.

ive VFD’d and pendant my Drummond longbed

thumbs up

Steve.

26/01/2022 16:24:38
Posted by br on 26/01/2022 12:10:12:

Are you going to buy a milling machine

This by Steviegtr may be helpful.

Just scroll down the LATEST POSTS to find it as I am not sure how to post a link.

Edited By br on 26/01/2022 12:10:34

Edited By br on 26/01/2022 12:11:45

This is a basic rundown on a old British one.
Steve.
https://youtu.be/NoIR4dBAQZU

Edited By Steviegtr on 26/01/2022 16:25:36

Thread: Are you going to buy a milling machine
25/01/2022 22:30:41
Posted by Chris Mate on 25/01/2022 16:30:22:

I have watched youtube videos for a few years to see and hear the operation of the machines + workshop accidents etc.

I bought the largest lathe that I could handle myself with a 2-Ton engine hoist extended and did the same recently for the mill. For the lathe I bought tooling as time went on from fuel money I just drive less, for mill I even drive far less now, and its surprising how much money one blows out on fuel.

So for the mill I bought a clamping set, because I will need that.
I also bought a vertex 4 anglock vice, it looks well made, but without the degree table it sits on.

I am still busy doing a few things regarding coolant & chips I want to do.

My next buy will be a collet chuck and set. I cannot decide between ER40 & ER32 yet......Looking for opinions around this and which first collet sizes & milling cutters to buy instead of a set....Which 5x cutter sizes you suggest I buy and type-? Mostly aluminium & steel...I am not in a hurry and don't want to buy twice.

-Must buy parallel set as well....

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

A fly cutter would be a handy tool to have, & they are not that expensive .

Steve.

Thread: Milling machine, but which brand ?
25/01/2022 22:24:35

Very nice. They have a good spec too. Congrats.

Steve.

Thread: Are you going to buy a milling machine
25/01/2022 03:27:37

To the Pro's on this forum , this thread will be of no use whatsoever. But for the newbies that are thinking of getting one then this may help you.

I know & understand that a lot of this forum members will never watch any youtube video's.

I am not sure why but, i found it invaluable in my search for a lathe & then a milling machine. My video in this clip is for anyone wanting to know what tooling they may require. Again it took me a while to find what i would or would not need to get set up. It did help me immensely.

I would like to share it with members that may find it of some use to you.

Steve.

Edited By Steviegtr on 25/01/2022 03:30:41

Thread: Newton Tesla lathe package
23/01/2022 20:40:54

My Super7 with the Omron has both soft stop (timed as required) & a e-stop which is instant. From what you say it seems there is not that function on the NT. I'm just going to do a experiment on the lathe.

Ok so i ran the lathe & switched off the power to the inverter. The lathe did not stop instantly as it does using e-stop. So i guess using a contactor at the power source will not stop quick enough if timed to cnc.

Steve.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Engineer or Model Engineers' Workshop? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Engineer & Model Engineers' Workshop

Support Our Partners
cowells
Eccentric Engineering
Eccentric July 5 2018
Rapid RC
Dreweatts
Subscription Offer

Latest "For Sale" Ads
Latest "Wanted" Ads
Get In Touch!

Do you want to contact the Model Engineer and Model Engineers' Workshop team?

You can contact us by phone, mail or email about the magazines including becoming a contributor, submitting reader's letters or making queries about articles. You can also get in touch about this website, advertising or other general issues.

Click THIS LINK for full contact details.

For subscription issues please see THIS LINK.

Digital Back Issues

Social Media online

'Like' us on Facebook
Follow us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter
 Twitter Logo

Pin us on Pinterest