By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Member postings for Steviegtr

Here is a list of all the postings Steviegtr has made in our forums. Click on a thread name to jump to the thread.

Thread: Lumps of aluminium and brass
14/07/2021 16:11:21

You only need to wait 5 days , to full unlock.

Steve.

Thread: working Damascus steel
13/07/2021 18:15:53

I've seen some stunning rings made from that material.

Steve.

Thread: Garmin sat nav
10/07/2021 23:43:20

1st comment would be , if you are sure it's the battery .Strip it & change the battery, not too hard to do. If you give up completely then use google maps on your phone. Google maps is way ahead of most of the sat nav data. Even tells you of road blockages etc, being live data. I have a Garmin Zumo on my motorcycle. The water proof version. It's ok but every now & then it looses it's marbles & does not know the road i am on, or the speed limit of said road.

The one in my expensive Jag is not as good as the phone google version.

Steve.

Thread: Tool post height
09/07/2021 15:32:03

The reason i posted about using the larger tooling was not because there is anything wrong with the smaller items.

The are so many cutters in the larger sizes of good quality over the smaller items, E.G. I have a 16mm boring bar ,which is a TIZIT, used . I paid £8.00 for it.

Steve.

tizit.jpg

08/07/2021 23:01:07

I have the QCTP on the Myford. The larger 250-111 model. I've had many a dig on here about it. Especially because i removed 3mm from the compound & then milled the underside of the toolholders down. So i now can use up to 16mm tooling. Was it a mistake. Nah. It's great. Oh but i do still use the old 4 way block. It comes in handy for squaring up the cutters to the chuck face.

Don't bother i already have my coat on.

Steve.

Thread: going carbide on a Myford
08/07/2021 22:40:48

I have lots of HSS tooling that came with the Myford. But most of my toolholders are loaded with insert tooling. On odd occasion i will use HSS but rarely.

Steve.

Thread: ER Collet chuck install
07/07/2021 15:42:04

Thanks for the comments NDIY.

Steve.

07/07/2021 00:15:12

I purchased a ER25 collet chuck & backplate for my Myford Super 7. This is how i fitted it after some machining. The theory would be the same for any lathe i guess, or most anyway.

The video is not too long & i know i harp on too much , but you will get the basics of the install. Something i wish i had done a long time ago.

Fitting a ER collet chuck to a lathe.

Steve.

Thread: advice old British motorcycle
07/07/2021 00:08:01
Posted by colin brannigan on 06/07/2021 22:22:26:

I would love to ride this machine again but at seventy one the body won't let me so I just sit and look at it, but I do have other machines that I can ride and they still bring a big smile to my face,

p1030272.jpg

Wow that is nice. Looks like the Alloy barrel engine too. Swept backs & Goldies. Lovely. Be proud. One comes to Squires cafe just like that sometimes.

Steve.

06/07/2021 16:42:59
Posted by Ian Skeldon 2 on 06/07/2021 11:40:48:

Hi,

I have a hankering to buy an old British motorbike, BSA, AJS, Triumph etc. The intention is to take it out for short runs on dry days, I would prefer it to be four stroke and it would be nice if I could stick the boss on the back. I have a full MC licence so capacity and cylinder count can be whatever.

I would definitely want something that has some spares available as I don't think for one minute that I could make dynamos etc should the need arise. I don't wish to sell body parts to fund it, so nothing over 5k.

What would your recommendation be and why?

Thank you,

Ian

Ian, have a look in my albums. There is my old 1959 BSA B33 Clubmans. I also had a Triumph tiger 100S at that time. All sold now. Would i buy again. Only to look at.

Steve.

Steve.

06/07/2021 14:24:52
Posted by old mart on 06/07/2021 14:13:55:

I,m with Old School, one of the 500cc Indian Enfields is worth a look, and has brakes that will actually stop you.

+ the later ones have a electric start. Cheap to buy plenty of backup spares. 500 Bullet.

Steve.

Thread: My weekend at Melbourne Raceway
05/07/2021 19:05:00

Yes & i think Dave grady used to help out. Now deceased.

Steve.

Thread: Tooling Auction
05/07/2021 15:37:13
Posted by Bob Worsley on 05/07/2021 10:15:43:

I do wonder if these questions are to make sure the person actually exists?

How many auctions have you bid on and next time the self same stuff is still there.

I was fine with most of the signup. It was just when at the very bottom of the page. It ask security No. For your Visa card. All the other auction houses have never asked that. It is something done when paying for items bought.

Steve.

Thread: My weekend at Melbourne Raceway
05/07/2021 15:33:37

Now that brings back memories. I used to go to all the meetings to support Daz Edwards ,with his Fibreglass Mach 1 Mustang.

Steve Merty was usually there with his jet truck.

I think it was around 1990.

Steve.

Thread: Advice required for model boat nameplate.
05/07/2021 15:02:31

There are many companies that will make & engrave that for you. Look up on google for engravers or, look for the shops that sell trophies.

Steve.

Thread: Tooling Auction
04/07/2021 23:24:45

Not sure about this auction. I am registered with a few auction houses. This one i just tried signing up for as i saw a couple of items , i would not mind owning.

Standard name address etc. E mail, password. All good. Then this is the bit i am not sure about & all the other auction houses do not ask for was. Credit card details including the security code off the back. To me that is a definate no no.

Steve.

Thread: 75mm x 2000mm Belt Linisher Build Thread
04/07/2021 18:24:04

Grab a cup of coffee , get comfy & use a face cutter or a fly cutter.

Steve.

Thread: Milling machine in the (wood floored) workshop
03/07/2021 17:24:49

+1 for cutting a hole in the floor & harcore + concrete on some visquine for damp proof. The last thing you would want is the mill wobbling about.

Steve.

Thread: Some more handles for the Myford
03/07/2021 14:12:46

Well i had another go at making some more machine handles for my Super 7. I then had another go at anodising & colouring them. For Anyone thinking of making any, have a look. Ball turning Colour anodising

Steve.

Thread: Milling machines - western-made s/h recommendations up to 2k
03/07/2021 00:18:04

I must admit when i bought both my Myford super 7 & the Tom Senior mill i picked them up myself. I do have a Vivaro van (bonus). We dismantled both as much as possible & got them into the van no problem. The Super 7 was in seven oaks & i am in Leeds. So long journey. But exiting drive both times.

Steve.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Engineer or Model Engineers' Workshop? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Engineer & Model Engineers' Workshop

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
walker midge
Dreweatts
Eccentric July 5 2018
cowells
JD Metals
Warco
emcomachinetools
rapid Direct
Eccentric Engineering
Subscription Offer

Latest "For Sale" Ads
Latest "Wanted" Ads
Get In Touch!

Do you want to contact the Model Engineer and Model Engineers' Workshop team?

You can contact us by phone, mail or email about the magazines including becoming a contributor, submitting reader's letters or making queries about articles. You can also get in touch about this website, advertising or other general issues.

Click THIS LINK for full contact details.

For subscription issues please see THIS LINK.

Digital Back Issues

Social Media online

'Like' us on Facebook
Follow us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter
 Twitter Logo

Pin us on Pinterest