By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Member postings for Steviegtr

Here is a list of all the postings Steviegtr has made in our forums. Click on a thread name to jump to the thread.

Thread: Centec 2B - New arrival and Q&A
01/08/2021 00:30:56

Did you remember to snug up the damper ring on the Clarkson to the underside of the quill.

Steve.

31/07/2021 22:51:38

So come on William on a scale of 1-10 how chuffed are you with you new stallion..

Steve.

Thread: Anyone know what this is
31/07/2021 22:44:58

I stole a cache of drill bits on ebay the other day. Most are only what i could call miniature centre drills. Some are only 1mm dia. Up to around 5mm. There were 22 in total all pretty much unused & most are solid carbide.

One drill a 4 flute is to me a bit strange in form. Can anyone tell me what it is. I have not done any google etc yet, but thought i would share with you guys. I am guessing as me some of you will not have seen this profile before. So for those that do know, Prey tell.

Steve.

4.jpg

3.jpg

2.jpg

1.jpg

Thread: THREAD IDENTIFICATION
30/07/2021 12:24:50

Sorry cannot help. But there will be someone helpful along shortly. Maybe with an actual answer to your question.

Steve.

Thread: Hydrogen
25/07/2021 13:29:10

Hello Peter Venn. Have a look at the 1st post i entered on this thread. Hence the whole debate on the pro's & cons of Hydrogen.

Steve.

Thread: Strange type in the Lates Posts ?
24/07/2021 23:20:34

Looks fine on my P.C

Thread: Spotting drill size
23/07/2021 15:26:44

I only have 6mm spotting drills but they work for most sizes. I guess a really small hole spotting may be difficult. The spotting drills i have are just from Starret holesaws. They have a very fine point so are ideal & much cheaper.

Steve.

Thread: Centre Drill Leaves a “Pip” - Sometimes
22/07/2021 23:23:22

If you take a close look at a lathe centre drill the cutting face is too broad to be used for spot drilling.

Steve.

Thread: Potentiometers
22/07/2021 23:20:51
Posted by Pete Rimmer on 22/07/2021 22:57:50:

Sadly there's no info in the manual. If it were my machine I would take the lid off and determine the value of the pot on the panel. Chances are that you are correct and it needs a different pot (possibly a different wattage too). Commonly the pot in the foot pdal will match the oe on the panel.

If you watch some youtube video's, like weld.com he shows setting the pedal max current settings. Usually the pot is 5 to 10k ohms. Does not have to be high rated as only controlling electronics. The whole idea of a foot pedal is so you can max set the pedal for the work at hand. A job say on alloy requiring a max current of 85 amps, would be hopeless if when you pressed the pedal hard it gave 250.

Steve.

22/07/2021 23:15:38

Lord Bamford did explain that the Electric battery idea is dead in the water. Not enough rare minerals to make it work worldwide. He also said it all began with the Elton Musk thing. Don't know him personally. Is he poor. MMn.

Digressing , i worked for 2 1/2 years at Olofines 6. Which was a ICI oil refinery at Redcar. The site was huge with over 2000 workmen & women. I worked on Electrical & Pnuematic instrument installation. The site was mainly to refine oil for Ethylene, with hundreds of side products. The site was completed & it was to be stored frozen underground in old pits. Basically the whole project went titties up because a foreign company could supply the same product for peanuts.

The moral here is, did the oil company go bust. No The oil companies will be the people who will develop any product that will eventually rein in the motor industry. Pistons at dawn.

Steve.

Thread: Potentiometers
22/07/2021 22:52:28
Posted by kevin large on 22/07/2021 21:25:51:

Not sure if this the right place for this but here goes

I bought a cheap Chinese tig foot pedal for my tig welder the first time I tried it it was working backwards so I changed 2 wires around and now it works the correct way round

However when the pedal is fully depressed I only get a max of 100 amps and the max of the machine is 250 amps do I need a higher or lower resistance pot?

I answered above but re reading i think it is a simple... Press the pedal to the floor with the torch safe away from any earthed metal. Then adjust the max current you will need. This makes it much easier to weld as a known max current can be dialed in & it would not exceed that parameter. Clear as mud.

Steve.

22/07/2021 22:48:21

The way i wired mine up is that i floor the pedal & then adjust the max current i need on the front panel. But i did make some mods with a switch on the side of the pedal so when setting it i flick the switch. The tip is not live while setting the max current i need. Once set i move the switch back to off. Thermal arc 202 ac/dc.

Steve.

welding pedal.jpg

Edited By Steviegtr on 22/07/2021 22:48:49

Thread: Centre Drill Leaves a “Pip” - Sometimes
22/07/2021 22:40:20

The centre drill on the right is my go to for when i need to drill a hole. The left one for drilling for a centre on the lathe.

Steve.

centre drills.jpg

22/07/2021 00:42:59

Forgot to say going out with friends on the Multistrada 1200s today. Full race decat exhaust & upmap chip to dose the environment with lots of crap. Maybe could convert to Hydrogen.

Steve,

22/07/2021 00:08:54

Just watched a great video on Hydrogen power. I always believed that a battery papap was never the way to go. So a new Vauxhall astra is around 14 grand. A battery powered one is 29K. Never is or could work. I think we all knew this. So watch this video of Harry's garage interview with the owner of JCB. Mr Lord Bamford. They have it cracked. Elton Musk was the instigator of it must be electric according to him. A guaranteed good watch.

Steve.

Hydrogen power

Edited By Steviegtr on 22/07/2021 00:09:45

Thread: Bench grinder
21/07/2021 21:58:38

Is there any bushes in the centre or is it a perfect fit on the steel shaft.

Steve.

Thread: New Chuck won’t screw on
21/07/2021 21:55:14

I have a new plate somewhere that will not go on more than a couple of threads. Best of luck getting it sorted out.

Steve.

Thread: Bench grinder
21/07/2021 21:51:31

My grinder has various bushes to make up the correct diameter of the wheel used. I ended up making new ones as they were not very good. All good now. Also if you can get hold of a truing diamond it can help.

Steve.

Thread: Bed stop clamp
20/07/2021 17:17:29
Posted by Anthony Kendall on 20/07/2021 09:13:24:
Posted by not done it yet on 20/07/2021 07:06:31:

Yet another waste of a thread. Snip

Presume you are having a bad day, or it's early.

Not a waste for me - I saw an option I had not thought of. Therefore valuable.

It's what forums are all about.

Edited By Anthony Kendall on 20/07/2021 09:19:09

A big + 1 from me.

Steve.

Thread: Autolock stuck drawbar won't screw in
15/07/2021 22:41:47

The clarkson i have is a 10mm thread. There was a thread on here not long ago with a guy who could not get one to come out. I think he ended up making 2 wedges slid in between the quill face & the clarkson. A wedge from each side. .Apparently it worked.

Steve.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Engineer or Model Engineers' Workshop? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Engineer & Model Engineers' Workshop

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
walker midge
Dreweatts
Eccentric July 5 2018
cowells
JD Metals
Warco
emcomachinetools
rapid Direct
Eccentric Engineering
Subscription Offer

Latest "For Sale" Ads
Latest "Wanted" Ads
Get In Touch!

Do you want to contact the Model Engineer and Model Engineers' Workshop team?

You can contact us by phone, mail or email about the magazines including becoming a contributor, submitting reader's letters or making queries about articles. You can also get in touch about this website, advertising or other general issues.

Click THIS LINK for full contact details.

For subscription issues please see THIS LINK.

Digital Back Issues

Social Media online

'Like' us on Facebook
Follow us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter
 Twitter Logo

Pin us on Pinterest