By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Member postings for Steviegtr

Here is a list of all the postings Steviegtr has made in our forums. Click on a thread name to jump to the thread.

Thread: Problems in bending sheet aluminium to a 90 deg angle
07/08/2021 15:06:21

I assume the angle iron is locked down with the 2 screws to hold the plate in place, to be bent. Once you have done the bend. Release the hold down angle iron & draw the angle bent piece through a little further. Clamp down & re-bend. You will achieve the angle you want.

Only problem with this method is the radius of the bend will be greater & allowance will have to be made with sizing the material.

Steve.

Thread: Knurling tool
07/08/2021 00:46:25

Well guys & gals, for anyone who wants to buy a cheap & cheerful knurling tool. Here is the conclusion i came to. Some of you will say i was not using it correctly. But really it is not fit for purpose.

I know there are certain members on here that do not want to be my bestest pal, but this is not worth buying.

Steve.

Not so good knurling tool

Thread: More skeleton tomfoolery
06/08/2021 23:34:02

Oh eck it was not grandad's remains was it. If so he seems pretty fit.

06/08/2021 23:32:26

From some of the comments i have had i guess i have to eat humble pie. Yes cheap & cheerful is not always the best way to go. I once built a porsche 911 turbo replica because i could not afford the real thing.

I have a bandsaw & pillar drill by Aldi as some will know if watched my youtube video's. They work as expected, not perfect but get by.

So back to the knurling tool. I am just uploading a review of the cheap one i bought. I will be doing a in depth review & build of the one i am about to embark on. God knows how long it will take me to make. I am leaning towards the Hemingways sensitive version. Simply because it comes with all the stock required for the build. I did price up to make the Graham meek design & the stock comes to pretty much the same, if not more due to the min lengths of stock you have to buy. Admitedly i would have some over for other projects.

Steve.

Thread: Colchester Student on sale Saturday 7th August
06/08/2021 22:25:19

Stonking lathe. My mate has one. Brilliant piece of kit.

Love the single pot listers too. Love to hear them go plop plop..

Steve.

Thread: More skeleton tomfoolery
06/08/2021 16:11:29

Haha, love it.

Steve.

Thread: New Lathe replacement for Myford
06/08/2021 13:25:26

Not sure which Myford you have , but the 254 looks a good machine.

06/08/2021 12:14:17

Well Gray may i thank you for the in depth workings of your design. It has a slight resemblance to Arny's hand . From the terminator film.

Looks like i have a project.

Steve.

05/08/2021 17:11:16

I did a couple of video's of the problems i had with the cheap one i bought & how i got it better. But still want to make a nice one. The 2 i narrowed down to from comments etc is. The Graham Meek one or the Hemingways kit sensitive one.

Steve.

04/08/2021 19:51:21
Posted by not done it yet on 04/08/2021 19:41:24:
Posted by Hollowpoint on 04/08/2021 08:23:34:

The Hemingway kit is based on the Marlco knurler which is the best of the lot imo. They aren't cheap but worth looking at.

Yes, Hemingway do two options - the ‘basic’ and ‘sensitive’ 9Marico?). A fairly comprehensive build log was provided on the forum, quite recently, by Mark Elen (a couple of years back?), but I think that was the basic version.

I would expect the sensitive option, built carefully, to be far, far better than a twenty quid chinese jobbie.

Yes i agree. I did have a look at the kit. At least you get the stock & drawings for it. I got a fair few different wheels from the guy i bought the mill from so don't have to buy them.

Steve.

04/08/2021 19:18:48

Yes Craig i could do that. Although i have seen the one by Graham Meek & i like that idea. Guess i will have to buiy his book to get the drawings for it.

Steve.

04/08/2021 16:06:29

Yes i did buy from RDG tools. I had a bit of fettling to do with it & it works just fine. The reason i want to make a better designed one is.

The one i have is very hard to tension the jaws. The ratio is not great. Also the tensioner is very near the rotating work & bothers me a tad when tensioning because of the effort needed to turn it. The Meek design caught my eye with the tensioner at the back.

I also thought it would be a nice little project to do. Thanks for all the comments & answers as always.

Steve.

knurling tool.jpg

Edited By JasonB on 04/08/2021 16:07:55

04/08/2021 01:37:43

Being really cheeky here. I know it has been done to death, but the knurling tool i bought from a sponsor on here is . Well lets say a bit to be desired. So i looked at the scissor type knurling tool & that is what i would like.

The only ones i can find are from India, yes they are catching up. Unfortunately they do not look very good quality. So with that i would like to buy some stock & make one as a project. The cheeky part is does anyone have a cad drawing or even a pdf of one that i could cadge from.

Steve.

Thread: HB961 Digital Readout
03/08/2021 22:36:02

Is it a raster table counter. If so try this in a foreign language but all there.

Raster table counter pdf

Steve.

Thread: Anyone know what this is
02/08/2021 15:56:58
Posted by JasonB on 01/08/2021 07:11:53:

The angle of the end of Stevies does not make it look like the sort that can be used to chamfer and csk as it looks to have a shallower point not a 90deg one which the multi purpose ones have. Just looks to have a 120-130deg point.

The code number is similar to an ITC tooling one but the catalogue doe snot corrispond with the tool shown here, Stevie, what is on the shank just before the size as that may be the maker but can't see due to glare.

I think you nailed it Jason & others. The main shank where the writing is measures 5mm exactly. The rest is 4.52mm.

Steve.

Thread: My week this week! My workshop videos
01/08/2021 23:25:12

The last time i had that problem, I used a die grinder & took the whole centre out without any thread damage. Spent a long time doing it but got there in the end. It is way too deep to weld to now. From memory I made a small piece of tube & inserted the die grinder inside it , so not to damage the threads.

Steve.

Thread: Anyone know what this is
01/08/2021 23:16:19
Posted by JasonB on 01/08/2021 07:11:53:

The angle of the end of Stevies does not make it look like the sort that can be used to chamfer and csk as it looks to have a shallower point not a 90deg one which the multi purpose ones have. Just looks to have a 120-130deg point.

The code number is similar to an ITC tooling one but the catalogue doe snot corrispond with the tool shown here, Stevie, what is on the shank just before the size as that may be the maker but can't see due to glare.

Jason i also found the near No in the ITC cat. Also similar in the Widia range. It appears to be a 4 flute end mill. Although the strange graphic before the S.P No does look a bit like the ITC logo. With a tapered section i guess to cut grooves. ?????.

Steve.

01/08/2021 00:34:19

I still have no idea.

Steve.

Thread: Drill powered nibblers - buying advice sought.
01/08/2021 00:32:54

I had a Makita 110v nibbler some years ago. Brilliant . Gave it away to a friend through not using it. But very good quality.

Steve.

Thread: Centec 2B - New arrival and Q&A
01/08/2021 00:30:56

Did you remember to snug up the damper ring on the Clarkson to the underside of the quill.

Steve.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Engineer or Model Engineers' Workshop? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Engineer & Model Engineers' Workshop

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
rapid Direct
Dreweatts
Eccentric July 5 2018
JD Metals
Warco
emcomachinetools
cowells
walker midge
Eccentric Engineering
Subscription Offer

Latest "For Sale" Ads
Latest "Wanted" Ads
Get In Touch!

Do you want to contact the Model Engineer and Model Engineers' Workshop team?

You can contact us by phone, mail or email about the magazines including becoming a contributor, submitting reader's letters or making queries about articles. You can also get in touch about this website, advertising or other general issues.

Click THIS LINK for full contact details.

For subscription issues please see THIS LINK.

Digital Back Issues

Social Media online

'Like' us on Facebook
Follow us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter
 Twitter Logo

Pin us on Pinterest