By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Member postings for Steviegtr

Here is a list of all the postings Steviegtr has made in our forums. Click on a thread name to jump to the thread.

Thread: Knurling tool
15/08/2021 11:03:58

Careful Nicholas. You'll be getting the same roasting as me. Yes i fitted 2 washers. Yes i also have a shorter spring for thin rod.

I was told it may not be the tool at fault. ??

Steve.

Thread: Unusual Go-No Go Tool?
15/08/2021 00:00:45
Posted by Michael Gilligan on 14/08/2021 23:44:13:

Posted by Steviegtr on 14/08/2021 23:21:24:

[…]

If i seemed to offend it was not meant that way.

Steve.

O.K. Steve … let’s just say your comment touched a raw nerve.

yes MichaelG.

Michael i think you underestimate yourself. I have the impression that you are highly regarded on this forum. At least i look up to you. I did the item to death & came up with nothing. I really do hope you find what it is.

My Uncle worked at a nuclear plant in Cumbria some years ago & had a similar device , which he always kept in his top pocket. It was to make sure that any area he entered was not radio-active. I followed that path & found nothing. Hope you do better.

Steve.

14/08/2021 23:21:24
Posted by Michael Gilligan on 14/08/2021 18:31:15:
Posted by Steviegtr on 14/08/2021 18:04:20:

Never mind. I am sure Michael will google it to death & surprise us all with it's use. Mnn.???.

Steve.

Sorry Steve,but it has to be said :

I am sick of people assuming that I just 'Google' everything.

What I wrote was :

"I would love to explore it further"

... and you will see that I have already put quite a lot into the exploration.

PLEASE just give it a rest

MichaelG.

Michael you have taken my post completely out of context. I was praising you for finding things that we rarely do. I always read your posts with great interest. If i seemed to offend it was not meant that way.

Steve.

14/08/2021 18:04:20

Never mind. I am sure Michael will google it to death & surprise us all with it's use. Mnn.???.

Steve.

Thread: ML7 (S7?) saddle clamp hack
13/08/2021 18:10:49
Posted by brian jones 11 on 13/08/2021 17:30:14:

msg sent, but the in box doesnt show it as msg read?

Hi Brian. You only get message read once the respondant has opened it. Anyway packet on it's way.

Steve.

Thread: Which is better Thompson or er collets
13/08/2021 18:09:18

If it is the Clarkson then i have both the ER & those. I find both good. The Clarkson is a very rigid setup. Someone on another thread remarked that the mill cutter can ride up a thou or 2 on initial plunge. I have never found this to be the case. However i have never needed that accuracy. If you did then of course you could plunge into a piece of scrap with the Z ,to make sure it is in place before setting a zero etc.

Steve.

13/08/2021 17:15:58

brian jones.jpg

13/08/2021 17:11:36
Posted by brian jones 11 on 13/08/2021 17:08:04:

Well come on Myfordians rescue this initiative, someone make an offer to buy all 6 add pnp £2.45 large letter to go through post box looks like its already in a suitable box

check weight and size ea

fyi large letter 350 x 250 x 25mm <750g

Check your inbox Brian.

Steve.

Edited By Steviegtr on 13/08/2021 17:11:45

13/08/2021 15:55:33

I feel mean now. Send me a P.m with your address & will see if i have a Jiffy bag somewhere.

I can pop that in the Postbox.

Steve.

Edited By Steviegtr on 13/08/2021 15:56:19

13/08/2021 15:44:51
Posted by brian jones 11 on 13/08/2021 11:32:36:

so are you offering these for sale to members ? How much inc pnp mainland uk

they look neat btw

Sorry Brian. That was the original idea. But with Covid & our local post office closing down they just got shoved out of the way.

I have quite a bit of stuff to sell. But just must be lazy. Or maybe waiting till i am skint & then do a bumper ebay sell. Sorry. If you lived anywhere near Leeds you could come & take one. From memory the handles were £5 odd each

The reason i remade the grip pad was i made them metric. Could not get any imperial ratchet handles. Tried rethreading one but not too good . So made the complete things.

Steve.

Thread: er25 collet
13/08/2021 11:31:38

I use the ER25 a lot ,but would try & get the holding a bit further in than 1/2". Also what are you using to turn the spigot. I.E is it accurate.

Steve.

13/08/2021 11:27:13

I made this one. Then got ambitious & made some more. Lockdown blues stuff.

Steve

carriage clamp 1.jpg

carriage clamps 2.jpg

Thread: Knurling tool
11/08/2021 18:11:24
Posted by Gary Wooding on 11/08/2021 18:04:20:

Did you look at the link I posted at 9:47 on the 8th?

Yes i did Gary & what a lovely job you made of it too. I did buy the Hemingway sensitive one. Which has now arrived. I will be starting it soon. I priced up all the materials , bearing in mind some stock is in longer lengths so some surplus. It came to around'ish the same as the complete kit with comprehensive drawings.

I will save your drawings though if you don't mind.

Steve.

11/08/2021 16:31:05
Posted by David George 1 on 11/08/2021 10:55:00:

Here is a video of my clamp type knurling tool. It has an additional bit that the rolled are offset to the left and so you can get nearer to the chuck jaws.

https://youtu.be/xGj7szbz_Ow

As I said previously if anyone wants a copy of the drawings just drop me a message.

David

That looks like a very substantial tool David.

Steve.

11/08/2021 03:07:27
Posted by JasonB on 07/08/2021 07:11:48:

Did not bother to watch it all Stevie so you may have figured it out.

The other two holes in the "tee" piece are so the arm positions can be adjusted to get you close to size and then the top screw is used for final adjustment that way the top arm does not end up pointing down much when knurling small diameters.

Set height by toolpost adjuster so bottom wheel just contacts when hanging down, then set top wheel to just contact with it pivoting in a suitable hole. Move away from work to tighten tool and then advance into rotating work. There is sufficient movement of the lower arm to allow it to move up for the depth of the knurl.

Maybe it's not the tool that is "not fit to use" wink 2

Although the 3/8" shank may fit a Myford it is described as an industrial tool and really suits a bigger machine where the shank can be set at a better height but you have fallen into the trap of buying bigger tools before and had to alter them.

Edited By JasonB on 07/08/2021 07:42:15

Hi Jason, today my Son came round to see me. He saw the knurling tool that i posted on to youtube. His 1st comment was Dad, the one i saw on youtube was massive. I said no that is the one i posted.

You said it was too big for my poltry Myford.(transposed). It is dinky. It is made for a small lathe like mine & i guess yours. The jaws are centre to centre 2" long. The Heminways sensitive one i am just starting is much larger than this one. I do not know why you support some not so well made imported, far eastern tools & continually belittle me for trying to point out the shortfalls of such pieces of equipment.

I will be doing a complete build video of the Hemingway to the best of my poor ability, I just hope some will like what i am going to do. Sure you can slag my work,.

But you must remember i am an Electrician by trade . With knowledge of many things & a master of none.

The description of being a industrial tool is a typical Chinese proverb. 

Buy my item best , special, long life, hardness, bull---t.

Steve.

Edited By Steviegtr on 11/08/2021 03:11:00

Thread: 16mm Indexable tool holders
10/08/2021 19:18:54

Hi Steve. It is not so much the tool holder, but the inserts that are important. I have about a dozen toolholders. All are imported far eastern made & all seem to work just fine. This i cannot say about the inserts. Go cheap & that is what you get. I have plenty of cheap inserts , but they regularly need changing.

On the other hand i have a lot of Iscar inserts. These are made in Israel, they are superb but expensive. Hope this helps.

Steve.

Thread: Vise/Vice advise
10/08/2021 18:49:26

Hi Derek. I did a revue of the Arc euro one & here is the link if it's any good to you. There are 2 parts to it.

Steve.

Arceuro vice

Part 2 is here.

Arceuro vice part 2

Edited By Steviegtr on 10/08/2021 18:50:38

Thread: Dipping a toe in TIG - what do I need (apart from skill)?
09/08/2021 19:37:03

Robin post the exact model you have ,then you will get more accurate comments. I.E Knowing if it has a gas selonoid .

Steve.

Thread: Getting Myford oiled up
09/08/2021 19:31:26

My Super 7 has all the same oil nipples. the gun shown by someone above is what i have.

Steve.

Thread: Sieg Mill indexes and feedscrews
08/08/2021 13:12:41

It tells you all using the link that Jason has given you.

Steve.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Engineer or Model Engineers' Workshop? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Engineer & Model Engineers' Workshop

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
walker midge
Dreweatts
Eccentric July 5 2018
cowells
JD Metals
Warco
emcomachinetools
rapid Direct
Eccentric Engineering
Subscription Offer

Latest "For Sale" Ads
Latest "Wanted" Ads
Get In Touch!

Do you want to contact the Model Engineer and Model Engineers' Workshop team?

You can contact us by phone, mail or email about the magazines including becoming a contributor, submitting reader's letters or making queries about articles. You can also get in touch about this website, advertising or other general issues.

Click THIS LINK for full contact details.

For subscription issues please see THIS LINK.

Digital Back Issues

Social Media online

'Like' us on Facebook
Follow us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter
 Twitter Logo

Pin us on Pinterest