By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Member postings for Steviegtr

Here is a list of all the postings Steviegtr has made in our forums. Click on a thread name to jump to the thread.

Thread: Unusual Go-No Go Tool?
23/08/2021 23:36:23

I'm still thinking old magneto tester. Remove screw cap from spark plug. Insert through square hole & through the small hole. Screw cap back on the plug with H.T cable attached to it. Back off the insert to not go side. Start magneto & slowly screw the shaft in until the plug sparks. Which the H.T would at some point when the brass pointer gets close enough to let the spark jump across it.

Steve.

Thread: Last Night's Astro Image
23/08/2021 19:33:22

Wow that's brilliant.

Steve.

Thread: Regrind a V8 Crankshaft
21/08/2021 17:28:01

This guy is a pro. Regrinding a V8 crankshaft. The setup is enormous for the work to be carried out. If you have no interest in automotive , it's still worth a watch for the setup alone.

Steve.

V8 Crankshaft grinding

Thread: Amazing Engineering Video
21/08/2021 14:56:53

Brilliant.

Steve.

Thread: Reaming a hole
20/08/2021 22:31:00

Well it turns out the reamers i borrowed although they are dormer with MT1. Are pretty much worn out. They do not cut & just push in till tight eventually. But on the upside i have a lot of Clarkson milling cutters. All imperial. These have done a great job. Now all bushes are made & fit very good to the shafts. Thanks for all the help.

Steve.

Edited By Steviegtr on 20/08/2021 22:31:51

20/08/2021 16:42:58
Posted by JasonB on 20/08/2021 14:40:12:

Oh too late Steve, I was going to suggest that you may find it cheaper to change to metric sizes on some items even though you have them in the kit than investing in imperial tools that may not see much use.

Do a test hole first as the set of 6-10 in 0.1mm steps I got from Chronos a few years back had several that were a bit offf, I've steadily replaced the most used with Dormer A002

Jason that was my 1st thought. Go Metric. Unfortunately all the stock supplied, much of it round stock is Imperial. To go down in size to metric would reduce the strength of the components. Never mind all the imperial stuff i need , I now have. I have lots of Clarkson milling cutters. All Imperial so have been using some of them to bore with.

P.S i was given 2 sets of Dormer Metric drills. But they only go up in half mm sizes.

Steve.

Thread: Strange stain in caravan
20/08/2021 16:35:23

I guess there could be a lot of iron in the Gargrave water. Cannot explain why it's not effected everything though.

Steve.

20/08/2021 14:40:18
Posted by not done it yet on 20/08/2021 14:36:02:

Yet another posting disappeared? I’m sure it loaded up earlier this am.

I’ll PM Stevie later

Edited By not done it yet on 20/08/2021 14:37:06

????

Steve

20/08/2021 14:37:15

Does either of the 2 fingers or jaws move . I was thinking a part missing that when the bottom was screwed up it closed the jaws. Giving an exact size for an object. If under or say oversize. The marker line would show not go.

Steve.

20/08/2021 14:25:32

Thanks all for the info. I downloaded & printed the guide that Thor pointed me to.

Jason many thanks. I did take delivery of a full set of imperial HSS drills yesterday from Chronos.

Steve.

19/08/2021 22:48:29

One for the boffins. As an example i want to end up with a reamed hole of 5/16"

What size hole do i drill. Is there a formula of so many thou under or is it a fixed set of measurement for each size hole. I have quite a few different sizes to do , from 1/4" up to 9/16".

Steve.

Thread: Keeping fit and the economy
19/08/2021 22:41:57

I ride a motorcycle as a hobby or sport , or whatever. Every weekend you get round a corner & there they are. 2 & 3 abreast completely blocking the lane. Huge que of traffic behind. Surely they all have cars themselves , but get in the pelathon & sod everyone.

Steve.

Thread: Converting fractions to decimals
17/08/2021 22:44:12

Well i have worn a shallow groove across my workshop with the new Hemingways knurling kit. All in Imperial. Looking up how many thou is this size. Worst thing is i have no imperial drills , so had to order a shiny new set. + borrow imperial reamers from a friend. Not so cheap a job. But more stuff for the workshop i guess.

Steve.

Thread: New Workshop Progress
17/08/2021 22:37:26
Posted by Neil Wyatt on 17/08/2021 22:32:37:
Posted by Emgee on 16/08/2021 14:40:11:

Neil

Could be simpler to run the power to the workshop using an SWA cable.

Emgee

It's not possible for me to bury it.

Overhead on a catenary wire ???.

Thread: Converting fractions to decimals
17/08/2021 19:12:17

Thanks for that Tim. Some good charts.

Steve.

Thread: Hello from Leeds
17/08/2021 19:07:47

Hi Neil from another Loiner. Harrison lathe . I am already jealous.

Steve.

Thread: Knurling tool
16/08/2021 00:03:15

Ah so i am not the blithering idiot i am porported to be.

Steve.

Thread: Which is better Thompson or er collets
15/08/2021 21:58:47

Do not write off the Clarkson altogether. I use my Er most of the time. But you will find the Autolock HSS cutters in the used job lot section of ebay etc, quite cheaply. Which i did. I have a good array of different sizes that all fit into 3 collets.

15/08/2021 12:40:15
Posted by Michael Gilligan on 15/08/2021 06:15:38:
Posted by duncan webster on 15/08/2021 00:58:27:

That would be a quartz fibre dosimetry, getting to be old hat when I was regularly visiting Sellafield, and that's a fair few years back. It's all done electronically now.

That’s not a device with which I am familiar … but curiosity led me to this : **LINK**

https://www.radiation-dosimetry.org/what-is-quartz-fiber-dosimeter-self-indicating-pocket-dosimeters-definition/

MichaelG.

Edit: __ and this [non pocket-sized] variation on the theme:

**LINK**

Edited By Michael Gilligan on 15/08/2021 06:23:15

That's it. You looked down one end, which seemed to have a hair or something fine , which i believed would move across as the Rad got higher.

Steve.

Thread: Knurling tool
15/08/2021 11:03:58

Careful Nicholas. You'll be getting the same roasting as me. Yes i fitted 2 washers. Yes i also have a shorter spring for thin rod.

I was told it may not be the tool at fault. ??

Steve.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Engineer or Model Engineers' Workshop? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Engineer & Model Engineers' Workshop

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
rapid Direct
Dreweatts
Eccentric July 5 2018
JD Metals
Warco
emcomachinetools
cowells
walker midge
Eccentric Engineering
Subscription Offer

Latest "For Sale" Ads
Latest "Wanted" Ads
Get In Touch!

Do you want to contact the Model Engineer and Model Engineers' Workshop team?

You can contact us by phone, mail or email about the magazines including becoming a contributor, submitting reader's letters or making queries about articles. You can also get in touch about this website, advertising or other general issues.

Click THIS LINK for full contact details.

For subscription issues please see THIS LINK.

Digital Back Issues

Social Media online

'Like' us on Facebook
Follow us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter
 Twitter Logo

Pin us on Pinterest