By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Member postings for Steviegtr

Here is a list of all the postings Steviegtr has made in our forums. Click on a thread name to jump to the thread.

Thread: Punching holes in metals
02/01/2020 13:57:59

Hope this is the right forum area to ask this question. I need to punch holes in copper, nickel, silver & other soft metals. Not in mild or stainless. I need to make some different sizes of punch & dies to use on a press. 1st Q: can I use drill bits with the flute cut off , just leaving the shank as the punch. 2nd Q: The die will be a round washer type that will fit in a jig so I can fit different sizes of punch & die etc. What steel would be the best to make the dies from. Would mild steel drilled & then case hardened work or not. Any suggestions greatly appreciated.

Thread: Airline Fittings?
02/01/2020 13:37:27
Posted by William Chitham on 02/01/2020 12:42:05:

I have split the output from my compressor into clean and oily lines. The clean line has a filter and dryer and everything that plugs into this uses Euro type fittings. The oily line has a filter and lubricator and uses PCL fittings.

That sir is a good idea you have there.

Thread: Myford super 7B Chuck threads
02/01/2020 13:34:18

A great big thank you for all the above posts. I will inspect more carefully & measure to see if I can work it out. My original thoughts were that some of the backplates had some sort of metric thread on them, but I think the replies above are more logical & likely. Thanks again. Will report back on the subject when sorted out.

01/01/2020 23:58:14

Yes the lathe came with a 3 jaw & a 4 jaw chuck. The 4 jaw has the wrong backplate to fit my lathe. With it there was also 4 backing plates of various forms. The ones suitable to fit to the 4 jaw chuck will not screw onto the lathe threads. My question was are there different thread types. They look perfect & are not damaged. Even the pitch looks correct, but they will not go on.

01/01/2020 22:30:54

Ah you could have a point there.

Thread: Burnt hands
01/01/2020 22:28:58

You could try holding the filler rod from further back so as not to get heat soak off the rod.

Thread: Myford super 7B Chuck threads
01/01/2020 22:19:18

I wonder if anyone can help here. I recently bought a super7B which I am delighted with, it came with a box of bits,, cutting tools, nice milling head. & some back plates along with a 4 jaw chuck. The 4 jaw chuck has no thread on the back so the backplate is wrong. I have taken my 3 jaw off & offered the backplates up. Out of 4 only 1 fits & the 3 others are binding on the threads after only 1 1/2 turns. Wrong thread. I had this once before with a Boxford I had. A careful look seems to offer no solution as they look identical. I have no thread gauges so cannot check. Does this mean they are metric or am I missing something. Anyway I will have to get a backplate from e-bay or even myford Halifax & fit the 4 jaw to it. But don't want to buy the wrong one. Any help gratefully received.

Thread: Myford super 7B oiling
01/01/2020 22:11:09

Thanks for the replies. I am getting slowly educated. I have another problem but will post a relevant thread.

01/01/2020 19:25:23

Wonder if anyone can help. I read somewhere that the lubrication points on my lathe can be done with Auto transmission fluid of which I have lots. Or is there a specific oil to use. Thanks in advance.

01/01/2020 17:53:19

That's the same as I have. The only time I have trouble attaching is if the air pressure is high. I usually drop the pressure & they push in easy.

Thread: Myford Super 7 screw cutting gears (metric)
01/01/2020 17:48:14

An old thread but I am still slightly confused as said on other threads. I am about to buy the 2 gears 33 & 34 tooth. Someone posted a picture but I was still not sure. Mine is a super 7B 1977. Does the new gear go below the 2 tufnol gears on the gear that you can remove one gear from it. A actual picture would be great if anyone has one.

Thread: Emergencies / Braking
01/01/2020 17:43:31

I think I may have misled some by saying in a corner. Just going out to measure. >>>>>. So the distance from the change wheel cover & the wall of garage is going to be approx. 350mm or 14". I could even push it to 18". Surely that is enough to get to the left side covers etc. I cannot really make it any further away as I have made the top out of 18mm hardwood ply in 3 layers to give strength. That is my limit.

Thread: Myford 7
01/01/2020 15:17:05

You would need to be specific on the actual model. A serial No would be good as you can pinpoint the year too. The 7 early model had half white metal shell bearings. The later models had 2 rear opposing ball races & a tapered bronze cone behind the chuck. Both have a different way of adjustment.

01/01/2020 15:06:04

It would not harm to put a quick squirt of silicon spray in there. But not if the line is going to be used for any kind of painting, as silicon trashes paint. I have a lot of air tools & painting equipment so i do not do this. Over the years I have standardised on the PCL fitting which is a industry standard & I find the best ones to use. Some of the ones that come on the Aldi stuff, not sure what they are called can get very awkward to connect.

01/01/2020 14:32:44

I see your point on length of stock. Unfortunately I have spent ages re-enforcing the left side of the bench for the lathe. The right side is set up for welding where I have a steel bed & vice etc. I am only dabbling so cannot think of a situation where I would need room to the left. If I acquired a long length I could cut to size by other means. Thanks.

Thread: Hello from West Yorkshire
01/01/2020 14:25:10

Thanks for all the welcomes. I live near Garforth. My initial intentions are to get used to a bit of basic turning. I used to have a Boxford many years ago. Have been pressing coin rings , so maybe the lathe may come in handy there. Also some stainless mandrills for ring making as they are very expensive to buy. I know a lot of members are into the steam engines/ traction engines as quite a few of my friends are. I bought a ac/dc tig welder & a new bandsaw + other bits to sort of complete my workshop. I have not spent enough time in the workshop so intend to do so now. Fully retired so plenty of free time.

Thread: Simple Gearing for Metric Threads on Myford ML7 lathes with gearboxes
01/01/2020 13:55:36

Thanks for all the input guys, i take it that you only change the one gear either 33 or 34 depending on the thread pitch & size. As in the picture you have put. Then adjust the gear train up to mesh correctly.

31/12/2019 23:07:01

Yes I see your point. I was thinking of the looks rather than the safety aspect. The lathe is going into a left hand corner, with enough room to open the doors for gear access. I could actually mount the control panel on the left wall which would in effect be in front of the machine. Thanks. The lathe is going on the left of that bench. Which I have beefed up to 54mm of hardwood ply bonded & screwed together, did not want any vibration.

My bench

Thread: Hello from West Yorkshire
31/12/2019 23:01:11

Hello from West Yorkshire. I have just bought myself a new to me Lathe & joined this forum as there seems to be a wealth of knowledge here.

Thread: What Did You Do Today 2019
31/12/2019 22:52:46

20191231_223123.jpgStripped the lathe ready for new belts & an inverter/3ph motor.

20191231_223116.jpg

Edited By Steven Edwards 1 on 31/12/2019 22:53:48

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Engineer or Model Engineers' Workshop? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Engineer & Model Engineers' Workshop

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
Warco
rapid Direct
JD Metals
walker midge
cowells
Eccentric July 5 2018
emcomachinetools
Eccentric Engineering
Subscription Offer

Latest "For Sale" Ads
Latest "Wanted" Ads
Get In Touch!

Do you want to contact the Model Engineer and Model Engineers' Workshop team?

You can contact us by phone, mail or email about the magazines including becoming a contributor, submitting reader's letters or making queries about articles. You can also get in touch about this website, advertising or other general issues.

Click THIS LINK for full contact details.

For subscription issues please see THIS LINK.

Digital Back Issues

Social Media online

'Like' us on Facebook
Follow us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter
 Twitter Logo

Pin us on Pinterest