By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Member postings for Steviegtr

Here is a list of all the postings Steviegtr has made in our forums. Click on a thread name to jump to the thread.

Thread: Training school auction
06/08/2020 23:37:58

Wish i had not seen this thread. This is going to cost me.

The gear is at Brighouse.

Steve.

Thread: Taking a pair of wire cutters to a standard baseball cap
03/08/2020 22:03:08

Due to the above information. I have just burned mine in a hot furnace. Buried the ashes in a lead container & will sink it at sea.

Steve.

Thread: Social Distancing
02/08/2020 18:47:07

I have started going out riding the Motorcycle again. Taking care wherever i stop to keep distance. The cafe's have all been very good at making this possible. It is the people. Honestly wherever i have been, people don't seem to take it seriously. Handshakes, cuddles, sitting in large groups.

So yes it is that quite a few people are stupid.

Not all motorcyclists. Scarborough was packed last week & no more than a handfull of people had masks on. Strangely there was quite a large Asian family walking down the prom & all had masks on. They had a small one on the baby too.

There seems to be a \( Its ok , i won't catch it.) attitude.

Steve.

Thread: Jobs
31/07/2020 03:21:14

On a more sombre note my grandfather paddy, comitted suicide after eating corned beef sandwiches at work every day for over 20 years. He could take no more & to top it off he drank Bovril from his flask too. At the funeral his loyal wife made a speech. She said i cannot understand why Paddy did this he made his sandwiches & flask up himself.

Steve.

Thread: Another new member here
28/07/2020 21:49:23

Sounds like you are not such a novice John. Welcome.

Steve.

Thread: Static balance gadget
28/07/2020 21:47:21

Some years ago i had a problem with the props on a Fairline targa 33 i had. They were stainless ones. It turned out they were not out of balance , but just slightly bent. Which was causing the vibration. Once trued up they were all good. Good luck with the project.

Steve.

Thread: size of flex required
23/07/2020 00:42:56
Posted by Ian P on 22/07/2020 23:47:43:

As emgee says, the VFD's own E-Stop feature is the one to use because it will stop the motor quickest.

The disadvantage with cutting the incoming mains is because of the stored power in the capacitors of the VFD which continue to run the motor until discharged. If the drive is only lightly loaded the longer stopping time could be significant from a safety point of view.

Ian P

Correct. i have one fitted to the inverter. If hit it stops instantly. With a power cut probably would be slower due to the above quotes by others. If you wire the circuit using this method the flex will only carry a few milliamperes.

Steve.

Thread: Model horse
22/07/2020 21:29:12

I guess model railway people use them a lot for scenery.

Steve.

Thread: 3phase iso & skts surplus
22/07/2020 21:27:11

I have not listed these 2 items for sale as they are not. Going begging for anyone who will pick up Leeds area.63A isolators in housings, look new, probably never used. Aprox 2mtrs braided cable with a 32A 3ph+N+E socket. I have 2 of these free to any forum member. My Son & myself have a storage unit full of equipment from when i had my Electrical Co. Since being retired i thought it was time for a clear up. These went in the van to go to the tip. I just could not see them being thrown when they are like new. As said probably never used. Cannot even remember the job i got them for. Will need covers taking off & a check over but surely useful to anyone with 3 phase.See pics. Probably get deleted so be quick. Contact me if interested or P.M me.

Steve.

iso.jpg

iso 2.jpg

3 phase isolator & skt.jpg

Thread: size of flex required
22/07/2020 20:48:08

Are you talking about driving the motor with the flex, or the e-stop circuit. Either way it is big enough.

If it gives 6amps in the regs, then that is for 50mtr run. Taking it you have a short run then it will be considerably higher.

Steve.

Thread: Dodgy Lathe on Ebay
22/07/2020 20:35:33

There is also the other possibility that does happen a lot on ebay. People create an account & put a silly bid in. I guess it's mainly kids mucking about. Although you would have thought the seller would have explained if that was the case.

Steve.

Thread: What Did You Do Today 2020
21/07/2020 22:44:21
Posted by IRT on 20/07/2020 13:31:14:

I finally got around to making a lathe carriage stop:

a.jpg

I still need to replace the bolt with some threaded rod.

Very nice work. yes

Steve.

Thread: Dodgy Lathe on Ebay
21/07/2020 22:42:02

Looks like a nice little machine.

Steve.

Thread: Is a drip feed coolant advisable
21/07/2020 22:23:26

I looked into this for the Mill. The vapour ones i believe do create a, as said vapour. Which not only goes onto the work but also into the lungs. I discounted that idea. Personal choice obviously. But i guess if enclosed in guards maybe ok. The drip type i also looked at. Unfortunately this time of year has had me out of the workshop building a New Koi pond & Pergola so will probably get back to it during winter. Best of luck whichever way you go.

Steve.

Thread: Myford super 7 cross slide nut specification thread imperial
21/07/2020 19:01:04

Yes Myford have them i think. Look on there site

Steve.

Thread: Making a Nikon P1000 stable to be able to take moon & star shots
20/07/2020 03:31:09

Well since my 1st post on this subject i have purchased a Skywatcher AZ-GTI. It is a gamechanger. i can now track a lot better than with the gear head from Manfrotto. I took this off the Manfrotto pro tripod & fitted the AZ-GTI. The driver comes from a phone app & seems to work very well. The only trouble now is i have some very late nights. I got some stunning video's of Saturn & its rings. Also some decent shots of Jupitor & it's moons. At some point i will post them on You tube & post a link for the few interested parties. Uninterested parties please refrain from slagging me.

Steve.

Thread: Overview of fitting variable frequency drive (VFD) to a Myford ML7
20/07/2020 03:04:49
Posted by Robert Atkinson 2 on 17/07/2020 12:18:47:
Posted by Steviegtr on 02/07/2020 23:47:14:

The 3ph motor on my S7 is from Clarks machine mart. There is a cooling fan & guard, but the motor is sealed. The fan is only blowing on the casting. A few times a bit of swarfe has found it's way in there & rattled about before getting spit out. I now have a bit of hardboard bent around the back to stop this. A bit tacky, i need to make something better. When i fitted this setup it was not too expensive. From memory the whole thing with my own made panel / inverter & motor was around £250. Picture of my setup.

Steve.

speed 2.jpg

on the bench.jpg

That is not an example of correct installaton To comply with good practice, the installation manual and current regulations the inverter drive needs to be in an enclosure and cables should have proper strain reliefs as a minmum. It should probably have EMI filters too . I alse note the use of an unsafe and illegal adaptor with a 2 pin european style plug in it on he lower power strip. Cut the two pin plug off, smash it and the adaptor and put a proper 13A plug with a 3 A or 5 A in it on the lead.
Having sockets, adaptors and leads directly behind the working area of the lathe is poor pracitce too, They can be contaminated by colant, dust or swarf or hit if something gets flung out of the chuck.
I know this may seem picky but having seen it I have a professional obligation to make you, and anyone who might use it as an example, aware of the issues. If you wish to carry on like that it's up to you.

Robert G8RPI.

Well here goes. Robert Atkinson you are a miss informed individual. You keep posting on this site as if you are some sort of Oracle. I know all. I guess you read too much. I have in my career as an an industrial electrical contractor, fitted somewhere in the region of 300 inverters & built some 200 control panels, including designing them with approval from the the engineering departments that ordered them. Nestle, / Fox's biscuits,/Terry's York,/Harrods biscuit manufacturer (cannot name. NDA. Trebor Bassets,/ Haribo. All blue chip companies.

Having worked in the industry all my life i have come across people like yourself a few times. What am i talking about you may ask.

You should fit a inverter VFD in an enclosure. It is in an enclosure. There is no requirement to fit a inverter inside a box. It is in a box. Strain relief. Strain relief from what. It is a fixed appliance. My god you get worse. I take it you do not travel around the world as i do. The euro adaptor is from Boots. Fitting sockets behind a spinning lathe chuck,,, disaster. No actually i removed the swarf shield to show the equipment.

I think you may only have 7 fingers & 2 thumbs. I am guessing where the missing finger is.

You should maybe also have an EMI filter fitted. ?????? Why. We only fitted filters in panels that had PLC equipment in them, or sensitive electronics, like RS 232 interfaces or sensitive encoders. You really need to stick to flying model planes. You have NO PROFFESIONAL OBLIGATION or knowledge to be making the recommendations or assumptions that you are doing.

If someone puts a post on this forum requiring help. If i have the knowledge i will reply & try to help. Some folk seem to think they know everything & reply to things that maybe they should not. That is why a lot of the very experienced forum members do not reply any more. I have quite a few private mails from some of them.

I do not know why this keeps happening & can only assume that there are some sad individuals , or may be envious individuals who cannot afford some of the toy's that others have.

If a member of this site asks about a depth of cut, Or a way of soldering the tubes in a boiler, i would not reply because i do not have the knowledge to do so.

Steve. & proud

Thread: Interesting bike ride today
16/07/2020 23:09:13
Posted by Oily Rag on 16/07/2020 21:21:36:

You weren't going like a 'bat out of hell' then!

I understand the Chinese have some good recipes for them.

Edited By Oily Rag on 16/07/2020 21:24:10

You daft Bat.

Steve.

Thread: pottyengineering universal tool post fixture
15/07/2020 22:11:56

Well i would be surprised if your thread was locked because of a mention of Bang good & ebay. How does anyone help another if he cannot say where to get an item from. I had already seen your youtube vid before i saw this post. Obviously i did not know you were not just a member , but also a moderator on this site. Well done with the work. I have watched a few of your video's & you have done some nice models. Great site , great video's . Keep it up. yes

Steve.

Edited By Steviegtr on 15/07/2020 22:12:55

Thread: Poly-Vee Belts
15/07/2020 21:38:08

I know when i changed my Serpentine belt on a Renault trafic van. The dealer asked is it 5 ribs or 6. I said i'm not sure. The next question was does it have air con. Yes. So it needs to be the 6 rib belt. Without air con it only has 5. I take it the more ribs the more power it can handle. Best answer i can give to the question asked.

Steve.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Engineer or Model Engineers' Workshop? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Engineer & Model Engineers' Workshop

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
emcomachinetools
ChesterUK
Allendale Electronics
cowells
EngineDIY
Eccentric July 5 2018
Warco
Eccentric Engineering
Subscription Offer

Latest "For Sale" Ads
Latest "Wanted" Ads
Get In Touch!

Do you want to contact the Model Engineer and Model Engineers' Workshop team?

You can contact us by phone, mail or email about the magazines including becoming a contributor, submitting reader's letters or making queries about articles. You can also get in touch about this website, advertising or other general issues.

Click THIS LINK for full contact details.

For subscription issues please see THIS LINK.

Digital Back Issues

Social Media online

'Like' us on Facebook
Follow us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter
 Twitter Logo

Pin us on Pinterest