By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Member postings for Steviegtr

Here is a list of all the postings Steviegtr has made in our forums. Click on a thread name to jump to the thread.

Thread: How not to use a clamp
23/01/2021 14:21:33

I think a few folk have got the wrong end of the stick. Ade is using pieces of Alpha leather to stop marking his aluminium plate. He uses it too to not dig the clamp into a raw casting , which could fracture it. Have a look yourself. It also helps to watch the whole video & not pick bits out of it.  Building a S50 by Ade

Steve.

Edited By Steviegtr on 23/01/2021 14:23:19

Edited By Steviegtr on 23/01/2021 14:26:48

Thread: Cheap 4.5" grinding discs
22/01/2021 16:49:37

I have used the screwfix ones & had good results. I also have used some el cheepo's once that should be banned.

Steve.

Thread: What lathe
22/01/2021 16:47:41

Sounds like you have been unlucky. I have a Super 7B & have had very little trouble with it. However i have seen some that have had a hard life with little in the way of maintenance. Good luck finding one to suit your needs.

Steve.

Thread: How not to use a clamp
22/01/2021 16:37:47

Poor old ADE. I watch his video's & as already stated he took that off once he had fixed to the alloy plate.

Steve.

Thread: Running a 3phase at home
22/01/2021 16:02:04

Just make sure you get one with a dual voltage motor & all will be good.

It just means the 3 windings are 240v. Connect in Delta.

Steve.

Thread: Myford ML7 Chucks - Which one?
22/01/2021 01:06:37

There are many lathes that benefit from being shallow in design. It is not just the Myford that benefits from this. Many small lathes do. There is even a guy on youtube who turns a deeper model in to a shallow one. A lot of work though.

Being available. I think most chucks are available if you search for one. New or 2nd hand is a question. Without getting your hands on a 2nd hand one & trying it will be difficult. Beware , some of the imported ones are not as good as they look. Just saying. I guess companies like arc etc will give you at least very good back up if you are not happy with the product. Have you actually rang arc etc to speak to someone who knows the answers to your long standing questions.

Steve.

Thread: Making a 7 cylinder radial engine
21/01/2021 11:53:46

I thought some of the forum members with a bit of time to spare would like to see this guy building a 7 Cylinder radial engine. It only runs on air , but a lot of engineering went into it. This is where i am in awe of you guys that spend an age building your engines. It must take a special kind of patience to get through it all.

Steve.

Making a 7 Cylinder radial engine

Thread: Motorcycle General Discussion
21/01/2021 10:39:19
Posted by Pete Rimmer on 19/01/2021 22:29:09:
Posted by Peter Jones 20 on 18/01/2021 19:10:46:

Personally I liked the BMW telelever for chasing around, it handled better than the GSX-R1100 up to ~130 ish on 'B' roads.

Is that because 130mph was about all any bike fitted with telelever could ever manage?

I'll agree about the handling though I'm on my third tele-lever bike.

Yes the GSXR-1100 was a dog to handle. The fork rake was all wrong. Some guys grafted the engine into a GSXR-750 frames which was much better.

Steve.

Thread: Drilling crankshaft hole
19/01/2021 20:14:45

You may like to have a peak at Joe Pesinski on youtube & Quin on Blondiehacks. They have both just built small engines from casting kits. They both went into a bit of detail to get everything square.

Steve.

Thread: New Member - Johan
19/01/2021 20:03:28

Welcome along Johan. You should get all the help you require from Forum members.

Steve.

Thread: Advice for surface finishing
19/01/2021 20:01:51
Posted by Buffer on 19/01/2021 19:57:42:

Stuart the rod lying around might be the problem lots of guys wont use stuff unless they know what it is. Also I seem to get my best finish with HSS. I can hone it with a diamond lap and then take a nice light cut with lots of cutting oil to bring it to size and finish. I normally use a tangential tool for this.

Edited By Buffer on 19/01/2021 19:59:57

+1 on the HSS cutter.

Cannot comment on using old bits of steel. I do it a lot.

Steve.

Thread: Making metal flowers
19/01/2021 03:37:50

I forgot to say that i had a youtube video of making these flowers. Here is the link for anyone who fancies having a go. Impress the wife or girlfriend.

Steve.

Making flowers from scrap metal.

Thread: Some quite astonishing ‘metal bashing’
19/01/2021 02:26:48
Posted by Michael Gilligan on 18/01/2021 20:15:03:

Large sculpture of a Lion :

**LINK**

https://aesthesiamag.wordpress.com/2018/03/23/unbelievable-lion-sculpture-made-from-hammered-steel-by-selcuk-yilmaz/

MichaelG.

Page not working for me. But i am uploading youtube vids , so computer running slow. Will try tomorrow once P.C is free.

Steve.

Thread: Telescopic Bore Gauges
18/01/2021 17:51:09

I bought a set of Draper ones at £26.99 from ebay, they seem ok for an amateur like me. Guess they will never beat the high quality ones out there.

The difference was do i but a cheap set or none at all. I did a few measurements & then did the same with my M&R calipers. They came out the same.

Steve.

Thread: Myford ML7 4 way tool holder
17/01/2021 16:40:53

I am not sure of your toolholder. I have a couple that came with the myford super 7 . they are just a square block of steel with the 4 slots for the cutters. It is the bit about the ball bearing in the bottom i don't get.

I fitted a QCTP to mine & the height was above what was required. I took my top slide.(Compound) to the engine grinders in Castleford & got them to surface gring 3mm from the top face. Now i have the ability to use up to 16mm cutters. Picture of mine & a link to myford site where they show the slides for the ML7.

Steve.

ML7 compounds.

toolpost fitted.jpg

Thread: The cheapest way to make a tailstock Dro
17/01/2021 14:21:21
Posted by not done it yet on 17/01/2021 08:04:42:

Is this an installation of a digi-caliper using neodymium magnets?

No , i did look at making it that way . It seemed to be too unstable. So the fixings are the 2 oil ports. So far it has been ok.

Steve.

17/01/2021 14:19:27
Posted by gary on 17/01/2021 07:54:37:

hi steve, nice video, is that you or the monkey that fills the ashtray.

It's the monkey. I keep telling him, but will he listen.

Steve.

17/01/2021 02:30:10

I wanted a Dro on the tailstock of the Myford so i could get an accurate way of drilling a hole in stock. I did not want to drill holes in the tailstock so if i wanted to remove it, i could without damage. This is on my Super 7 , but could be fitted to any lathe with a bit of thought. The cost was under £10 for the whole project.

Steve.

Tailstock Dro

Thread: Coronavirus death stats
17/01/2021 02:20:57
Posted by Hopper on 17/01/2021 02:01:04:
Posted by Tony Wright 1 on 16/01/2021 21:59:50:

There is no way in the world some one is going to inject me with a chemical in the vague hope it will protect me from a virus . This is my opinion please don’t have a go at me if you don’t respect MY decision! Thanks

Tony

No, sorry. You are entitled to your opinion but you are not entitled to spread unfounded misinformation on social media that may influence others to make bad decisions.

It is time right-minded people started calling these internet conspiracy theories and the like out for what they are: unfounded misinformation with no basis in reality. The end result of them all too often is the likes of what we saw in Washington DC last week.

It needs to stop.

Why is your posted opinion dangerous misinformation? Because "inject me with a chemical in the vague hope it will protect me from a virus" has no basis in reality. The vaccines have been rapidly developed, yes. But they have a scientifically tested efficacy of 90 to 95 per cent, varying slightly between brands. Nothing vague about it at all. Relying on rigorous scientific method and data, not "vague hope".

Yes testing has been expedited. Partly because of the huge amount of money thrown at it and partly because of the deadly necessity of stemming Covid-19. And the science shows that any added risk due to that is dwarfed by the massive risk of millions more deaths if Covid is allowed to continue as is. So you have to balance a very small risk with vaccine against a very large and rapidly growing risk without vaccine.

So, no I won't respect your unfounded opinion that you dangerously posit on social media where it can contribute to more people delaying or refusing the vaccine that will make us all as safe as possible in the middle of a deadly pandemic.

So I call your opinion out for what it is: unfounded misinformation that has no place on social media.

OOh nice one Hopper.10 points. Actually 11 cos you have a Myford.

steve.

Edited By Steviegtr on 17/01/2021 02:22:49

17/01/2021 01:45:16

I can understand a lot of folk not trusting the NHS jab. I had one such friend. Sadly he died last week. Of Covid 19. A lot of mixed race seem to think it has animal bits in it & others have there own defence, one being Ginger & honey. Never mind. I remember my mum not trusting the jabs we had as kids. That was 60 years ago. . I did have the jab. Apart from my head pointing backwards i seem ok. Take care folks. A few friends also will not have the Flu jab each year. The rest inc me have been having it for over 6 years now.

Steve.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Engineer or Model Engineers' Workshop? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Engineer & Model Engineers' Workshop

Support Our Partners
EngineDIY
ChesterUK
Warco
Eccentric July 5 2018
emcomachinetools
cowells
Eccentric Engineering
Subscription Offer

Latest "For Sale" Ads
Latest "Wanted" Ads
Get In Touch!

Do you want to contact the Model Engineer and Model Engineers' Workshop team?

You can contact us by phone, mail or email about the magazines including becoming a contributor, submitting reader's letters or making queries about articles. You can also get in touch about this website, advertising or other general issues.

Click THIS LINK for full contact details.

For subscription issues please see THIS LINK.

Digital Back Issues

Social Media online

'Like' us on Facebook
Follow us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter
 Twitter Logo

Pin us on Pinterest