By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Member postings for Steviegtr

Here is a list of all the postings Steviegtr has made in our forums. Click on a thread name to jump to the thread.

Thread: Newbie trying to thread
04/06/2020 22:29:18

I am glad you have posted this, because i bought the 2 gears. Never got round to trying them, but what is it I have to make, (Drop arm or something. Confused as to exactly where the 2 gears go. I have read a lot about this subject but not sure i ever saw which gears to change. Any pics would be much appreciated.

Steve.

Thread: Plastic and Paper Models
04/06/2020 18:44:08

Stunning work Dr_GMJN. That engine is a work of art..

Steve.

Thread: The story behind my forum image
02/06/2020 22:58:03

You have my full sympathy on this subject. It must always be a worry that it can happen any time. A trend though, do you think maybe the stress of doing a lecture could bring on this condition. I could never stand before a crowd & give a talk. The brain is one of the most complicated structures known to man.

On a slightly different note. I had a friend who had a horrific motorcycle crash. We went to visit him when he was out of ICU. He was saying that when he is asleep & on morphine that his dreams were real & when awake it was like he was in a dream. He openly said that we were not really visiting him because that was only a dream. He recovered completely from that accident fortunately. But sadly died some years later in a different accident.

Steve.

Thread: Coronavirus
31/05/2020 22:15:11

Well our Bev starts back nursing in the morning. Private clinic in Leeds. They have a tent set up outside for testing prior patients the day before. The NHS has asked if they will do testing for them on a 7 day a week basis. So looks like Bev is going to be busy doing her theatre nurse work & Covid testing.

Steve.

Thread: Space X launch
31/05/2020 22:10:03

I watched it go over but this was the only picture I got. New camera & no knowledge of how to set it up. When I did see it through the lens it actually looked round like a planet. We only had it in view for about 30 secs & it was gone. Good luck to them.

Steve.

dscn0543.jpg

Thread: Soldering Iron
31/05/2020 12:58:17

Weller have a good name in irons. You may find the 30w iron a little big on small jobs.

Then there are the gas refillable ones of which some are quite good. But not cheap.

Steve.

Thread: Paint recommendations
31/05/2020 01:29:42

I think one of the main problems of paint chipping on machinery is because it has not had a good bonding undercoat applied. If you look at a lot of paint chips they are down to the metal. Meaning they have not been prepared or had the undercoat keyed properly. Someone will be along shortly to give you a list of the best paints to use.

Steve.

Thread: Hello from West Sussex, looking for ID for my first lathe
31/05/2020 01:25:55

Hi Jim & welcome. Wonder if it's an early Myford, although I think they had flat belts. Someone will be along in the morning with an answer. Horlicks knocks you out. I think I decended from a tabby cat.

Steve.

Thread: What Did You Do Today 2020
31/05/2020 01:19:58

Went out on the Ducati from Leeds to Skipton, Grassington, Over the Lindley wood reservoir (which was empty , frightening really for the time of year) Stump cross caverns which were closed. Pately bridge. . Feuston reservoir which was half empty. Otley & back home. 120 miles & an achy old bum. Did some more work on the new Koi pond build. Took some pics of the moon & the rocket launched from USA , with the new to me Nikon P1000. I need a good tripod. Not bad at 3000mm zoom , but at 12000 digital , impossible.

Steve.

Thread: Parting tip breakage
31/05/2020 01:10:33

Watched it twice. Looks very much like the toolpost rotated under pressure. Which would break any tool. But what do I know. I am only a Hammer chewer.

Steve.

Thread: [Project 4] Sine plate
29/05/2020 21:42:47

Bet your neighbours think you are nuts. Trying to burn a block of steel. cool

Steve.

Thread: milling machine which one ?
29/05/2020 17:57:44

Look at top right of this page. arc eurotrade

Steve.

Thread: Synthetic and enamel paint explained
29/05/2020 02:27:47

1 k is a paint that is applied & sets

2K & 2pack which are the same require a activator to make it set. So with a 2k you would put in the vessel, add the required amount of thinners, usually 50%. Then put in the activator/ hardener. This will give you a certain amount of time to apply the paint before it begins to harden. When spraying cars & motorcycles I used to wait 15 mins between coats. Once finished it needs leaving overnight to fully cure. My son in law has a Paint booth which is temp controlled. Once set up he can paint a car & within one hour it is fully cured.

Of course as some have already said cellulose paints are now banned. As is icocyanate based. The stupid thing is that, like my son in law has to abide by.

He paints a car or motorcycle race fairing etc. He has to by law use water based paint, which he hates.

He then applies the clear coat,(Clear laquer).Clear laquer only comes in 2 pack isocyanate. Which is deadly.

All these paints are not oil based like the paint you would probably use to paint a model with, which can be applied by brush & has a setting time much longer than automotive paints. Clear as mud.

Just to point out coach paint was not cellulose. It was brush applied. The cellulose goes of in a matter of seconds. By that I would say , when I painted cars way back with it in warm weather. Probably less than 2 mins to touch dry. 

Steve.

Edited By Steviegtr on 29/05/2020 02:34:20

Thread: Hello from Wirral Merseyside
28/05/2020 17:48:01

Hi Paul & welcome. Would be nice to see some pics of your builds.

Steve.

Thread: VFD. XSY AT4 220v 1phase to 380v 3phase advice sort
26/05/2020 01:25:04

Not had anything to do with your model, but on my Toshiba I was having motor troubles like you mention. It turned out to be the setting for the base frequency of the motor. Which is 50hz in this country, it was set to 60hz. Changed it to 50 & all was well again.

Steve.

Thread: Advice on pricing
25/05/2020 20:05:20

Got to be worth £120 to £125 surely, with all those toolholders. Also the most popular one.

Steve

Thread: Which Digital Compact Camera?
25/05/2020 20:02:20

Just an update from searching for a little camera for holidays. So last night I saw a new moon starting. It looked great. So trusty Samsung galaxy s8 out & took some pictures. Which as usual were rubbish. Great through the day.

Then came in & started to think (I do this way too much). A bit of logic was yes I do need a little camera for the holidays. What holidays am I talking about as , cannot see me going anywhere soon.

I do love taking pictures of the sky at night. Neil had mentioned he had a Nikon P900. HMM me thinks, so I can get a little camera next year. Went looking at the P900. Fantastic camera. Looking on ebay I came across a P1000. Watched a few video's on youtube of the performance. Fast forward & hit the buy it now. 2nd hand & I think a good price at £780. Should have it later this week.

Steve.

new camera 2.jpg

new camera.jpg

Thread: machine manuals
25/05/2020 19:39:00

I have had many free manuals from. Manuals.lib.

Steve.

Thread: Which Digital Compact Camera?
24/05/2020 20:04:52
Posted by Bob Stevenson on 24/05/2020 16:47:30:

Steve,........If you are interested in Sony 6500 series then you should know that they are all descended from th eoriginal Sony a6000. They all have the same sensor and thus very similar image quality, which, having used one for th elast few years I can say is excellent. The later versions have extra features which you may not really value and I saw the a6000 in Curry's a few weeks ago for less than £500 (considerably less)....that's about one third the price of a6500.

The only reall improvement in the later models is a better battery........whichever one you go for get an extra battery!

Bob. I have looked at the A6000. I have put a link to a guy who has all the models & explains the differences.

Steve. Sony A6000 series digital camera

24/05/2020 19:41:30
Posted by Bob Stevenson on 24/05/2020 16:47:30:

Steve,........If you are interested in Sony 6500 series then you should know that they are all descended from th eoriginal Sony a6000. They all have the same sensor and thus very similar image quality, which, having used one for th elast few years I can say is excellent. The later versions have extra features which you may not really value and I saw the a6000 in Curry's a few weeks ago for less than £500 (considerably less)....that's about one third the price of a6500.

The only reall improvement in the later models is a better battery........whichever one you go for get an extra battery!

Thanks for that Bob . I will certainly have a look at those. It sounds a familiar story to the Sony Rx100 series. Each one just tweaked a bit more with each version.

Steve.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Engineer or Model Engineers' Workshop? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Engineer & Model Engineers' Workshop

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
Eccentric July 5 2018
emcomachinetools
Warco
Allendale Electronics
ChesterUK
cowells
Eccentric Engineering
Subscription Offer

Latest "For Sale" Ads
Latest "Wanted" Ads
Get In Touch!

Do you want to contact the Model Engineer and Model Engineers' Workshop team?

You can contact us by phone, mail or email about the magazines including becoming a contributor, submitting reader's letters or making queries about articles. You can also get in touch about this website, advertising or other general issues.

Click THIS LINK for full contact details.

For subscription issues please see THIS LINK.

Digital Back Issues

Social Media online

'Like' us on Facebook
Follow us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter
 Twitter Logo

Pin us on Pinterest