By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Member postings for Steviegtr

Here is a list of all the postings Steviegtr has made in our forums. Click on a thread name to jump to the thread.

Thread: How Many Barristers Needed To Change An Ink Cartridge?
16/04/2021 19:21:15

Read post wrongly

Steve.

Edited By Steviegtr on 16/04/2021 19:23:50

Thread: Hello from the Pacific Northwest
16/04/2021 14:37:59

Welcome Zeb, from afar.

Steve.

Thread: Threaded milling cutters
16/04/2021 13:56:52

Sounds like the Clarkson type. If they are ,did you get a collet holder with the machine.

Steve.

P.S Try concentrate how to post pictures. Makes answering problems , soo much easier.

Thread: Covid
15/04/2021 12:14:07

I just watch the daily Covid news from Dr John Campbell on youtube. At least everything he says is backed up by data sheets.

Steve.

Thread: BSP tap needed
14/04/2021 17:41:11
Posted by pgrbff on 14/04/2021 17:18:26:

As a woodworker I don't often need taps. I want to make up a mixing valve for my sandblaster and need to tap a 1/4" BSP hole in the side of a 1 1/4" iron tube. I'd prefer to buy only one tap and I'm not sure which would be the best choice. Are BSP threads always tapered?

No, there are tapered & none tapered. This has been covered before somewhere on here.

Steve.

Thread: Help from the collective wisdom re ME 32 &40 TPI on a Myford 254S
13/04/2021 15:32:55
Posted by SillyOldDuffer on 13/04/2021 11:33:47:
Posted by Darrell McCulloch on 13/04/2021 10:44:37:

Farkkikng hell I am dim

Page 12 of the 254 manual does mention the train that should be the one to do it.

I best go back to preschool.

Suitably embarrassed, so I will crawl away and not bother any one any more and drift off into my insignificance

Ciao

Naw, don't do that. Happens to me all the time. Few months ago I bought an expensive selection of tiny SMD oscillator chips and carefully put them in an envelope for safe storage. Can't find them despite three serious CSI-style searches.

Pretty sure the envelope hasn't been stolen by elves. I've forgotten where I put it, and it might just as well have fallen through an inter-dimensional wormhole. The project has ground to a halt!

One day I'll come across the envelope while looking for something else. It will be in plain view...

sad

Dave

Stupid thing is Dave, when you find them, you will remember putting them there.

Steve. P.S happens all the time here.

Thread: Hello from Scotland
12/04/2021 16:08:04

Welcome Tom.

Steve.

Thread: Laptop with a SD card slot
12/04/2021 12:23:01

My Partner has just bought a smaller Lenovo laptop. No dvd drive, SD slot or USB. What it does have is 2 USB C ports to charge & do all other jobs. With a USB to USB C adaptor. £2.00 off ebay. All items can be plugged in to those ports. Tried it the other day & DVD work fine , as do memory sticks & my 5 slot memory card reader.

I think it is the way new laptops are going.

Steve.

usb.jpg

Thread: How to make a spring
09/04/2021 15:24:32

You need to talk to one of the leaf spring manufacturers. I know they can temper a spring to many different tolerances using the same spring, so there must be a bit of tech in it. IE initial temp & then plunge time & medium used.

Years ago i worked with a performance shop, getting the spring rates for my Calibra turbo which we were lowering. The same springs were re treated several times before we got them right.

Steve.

Edited By Steviegtr on 09/04/2021 15:26:04

Thread: LED Tubes in the workshop
09/04/2021 15:19:15

I just supplied a friend with some new 5 foot fully enclosed fittings to try in his workshop. These are from the Electrical wholesalers & are not cheap. I think they were £55 each, but IP65 fully enclosed. He had the LED tubes already fitted. These are the complete fitting that do not have a tube. It is a 5 foot long LED strip. The results are the strip types are far brighter than the tube type. Without the diffuser fitted you cannot look at the light as it is quite blinding.

I changed mine in my workshop that i had not long installed. These were the 5 foot fluorescent ones. I can confirm the difference from a new fluorescent to an LED strip type is amazing.

From a retired Electrical contractor. Results for comparison.

Original 5 foot fittings with tri phosphor lamps, After 1/2 hour warm up time. With less than 40 hrs of use. At 1 metre from concrete painted floor. 440 Lux.

LED 5 foot strip type new fittings taken at 1 meter from concrete painted surface. 617 Lux.

Anyone wishing to change theirs, consider the strip type over the tubes. I say this a s some of the tube types are the old tech LED. The round bulb looking type. The strip ones are the little yellow square ones. Sorry forgot the names for them. Some say corn types etc. Hope this helps anyone deciding.

Steve.

Thread: Mystery Mains Connector
07/04/2021 00:47:18

Looks a bit like my shaver lead. + my hair clippers.

Steve.

Thread: Myford Super 7 spanner sizes
07/04/2021 00:24:08

There are BA sizes on the S7 e.g the oilers are all 2BA. There are also i think whitworth too. I have a stack of old spanners & just go for what fits. Never bothered to look at what size they were. My little Bahco adjustable fits everything.

Steve.

Edited By Steviegtr on 07/04/2021 00:24:54

Thread: Hi From Kent
06/04/2021 15:02:14

Welcome Rob. Sounds like you have a plan.

Steve.

Thread: Tailstock Die Holder (metric)
04/04/2021 19:55:15

I made this one a while back , that holds all my different dies. Cheap as chips & not a lot of time to do.

Steve.

die holder.jpg

Thread: Bitdefender keeps blocking a site on here
04/04/2021 19:40:42
Posted by fizzy on 04/04/2021 19:37:51:

Ive used bitdefender for many years, you can add the out of date cert as an exception and it wont do it again.

Yes i know i can do that. The problem was i had no idea what the site was until being informed by others.

Steve.

04/04/2021 13:47:04

Oh eck , i am sorry. Didn't want to get anyone into bother. Looking through it is when i look at a thread i started & Neil has replied to it. Sorry Neil.

Steve.

04/04/2021 13:21:25

When using the forum i keep getting a notice up from my Bitdefender saying.

msedge.exe attempted to establish a connection relying on an expired certificate to www.stubmandrel.co.uk. We blocked the connection to keep your data safe since websites must renew their certificates with a certification authority to stay current, and outdated security certificates represent a risk.

Does anyone know what this site is.

Steve.

Thread: The Moon
04/04/2021 13:13:13
Posted by Michael Gilligan on 04/04/2021 12:39:48:
Posted by Steviegtr on 04/04/2021 12:18:53:

[…]

I think i need to do some instruction reading if i can find any.

Did you look at the link I posted for Sam ?

... it’s pretty close to being “How to get started with RegiStax without reading the manual”

MichaelG.

Michael. I have just had a look at the link. I will try again. I tried registax with 10 pictures yesterday. But the program kept crashing. In the end i gave up. I even switched the computer off to clear any cache, but to no avail. I am going to have another go though. The p.c i have is a pretty powerful octocore with 16gig of ram , so i doubt the problem is with the p.c , but with the user.

Steve.

04/04/2021 12:18:53

As i have said above i am struggling to get my head around the stacker programs. One problem i did have was my video's are in MPG format & the programs want to see AVI. So i converted the MPG to AVI but it still would not accept it.

I also have lots of pictures that were done on a sort of burst mode , so around 10 pictures at a time.

I think i need to do some instruction reading if i can find any.

Steve.

04/04/2021 11:58:54
Posted by Neil Wyatt on 03/04/2021 23:55:22:

Well done Steve, I started my astrophotography journey using Nikon bridge cameras. You'll find that video will (as suggested above) stack well. With the P1000 you ought to try videoing (or taking a couple of dozen photos at least) the planets and stacking them. Even my P560 could show saturn's rings.

All taken with a Nikon bridge camera and stacked then combined into one image:

spent most of yesterday trying to use stacking programs with no success at all. Lack of knowledge i guess. Must try harder. Registax keeps crashing , so i tried a version of AutoStakkert. But still no luck. I need to get my around the program. I watched a few youtubers showing how to do it , but got lost half way through.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Engineer or Model Engineers' Workshop? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Engineer & Model Engineers' Workshop

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
ChesterUK
JD Metals
Eccentric July 5 2018
Warco
cowells
emcomachinetools
Eccentric Engineering
Subscription Offer

Latest "For Sale" Ads
Latest "Wanted" Ads
Get In Touch!

Do you want to contact the Model Engineer and Model Engineers' Workshop team?

You can contact us by phone, mail or email about the magazines including becoming a contributor, submitting reader's letters or making queries about articles. You can also get in touch about this website, advertising or other general issues.

Click THIS LINK for full contact details.

For subscription issues please see THIS LINK.

Digital Back Issues

Social Media online

'Like' us on Facebook
Follow us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter
 Twitter Logo

Pin us on Pinterest