By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Member postings for Dell

Here is a list of all the postings Dell has made in our forums. Click on a thread name to jump to the thread.

Thread: What insert tool
29/04/2022 17:30:54
Posted by Bill Pudney on 27/04/2022 23:20:43:

LMS is "Little Machine Shop"

I have used A.R.Warners sets (tool holder and inserts) for 20 odd years. It seems like they can be offered by Glanze, They are first class. The insert can use a credit card diamond thing and makes the insert brand new and really sharp. They are expensive, but they are worth it. Obviously people will complain about the insert don't have any complex grinding, put they are really worth it even though they are so easy.

cheers

Bill

Thanks for that Bill

i have some Glanze holders coming, expensive but hopefully only have to buy them once , I can just about hold my gravers to grind them because they have a handle but small HSS tool bits I really struggle because of the gout but I don’t think I will have a problem sharpening the Warner bits as they only need laying flat on a oiled stone and rubbed fig 8.

Dell

Thread: Making a Drawbar
29/04/2022 17:19:39

I just wanted to give a big shout out to the wonderful people on this forum especially Roderick Jenkins who has made me a couple of drawbars so I can use my many Schaublin 10mm collets in my Pultra 17/70 and won’t take a penny in payment so I am going to make a donation to charity, but not just Rod but also Clive steer who made a spindle shroud for me, Noel and many others, this is a wonderful forum and it has some very knowledgeable and helpful people long may it continue.

Dell

Thread: Rent free Oxy Acetylene bottles
28/04/2022 20:05:32

If you lay Acetylene cylinders down in the car let them stand for a few hours because if you don’t you could get a blowback.

Thread: What insert tool
26/04/2022 18:57:47
Posted by JasonB on 26/04/2022 18:50:07:

I've several of the Glanze holders, work OK for me.

I think those LMS inserts are made by Warner in the US

Yes they are A R Warner so if I get glanze they should out last me .

26/04/2022 18:44:20

Like this for instance

https://www.glanze.co.uk/product/pair-of-lh-rh-indexable-facing-tools-with-4-inserts-10-mm/

26/04/2022 18:27:14

Hi Thor & DC31k

thanks for prompt replies so just to get it sorted in my old thick head , I will need to look for SCLR1010H06 for a 10mm right hand & for SCLCL1010H06 for a 10mm left hand but what about a chamfer tool holder ?.

my QCTP will take 1/2” 12mm but I thought 10mm would give me a bit of up or down adjustment.

26/04/2022 17:48:50

Hi all

A friend in USA has sent me some HSS inserts to try because I happen to mention that I have trouble holding the HSS Tool bits when I need to sharpen them or make a new one due to my gout in both hands but there is a plethora of holders and inserts for that matter, can someone please help me out by suggesting what holders to buy , I want good quality ones somthing like glance I suppose unless there are any cheaper good quality ones , the inserts are here.

https://littlemachineshop.com/products/product_view.php?ProductID=3696&category=

https://littlemachineshop.com/products/product_view.php?ProductID=4975&category=
I didn’t know it was possible to get HSS inserts but if they work and it means I don’t have to sharpen bits, although he tells me that if they need to be sharpened you just lay them flat on an oiled stone then rub.

is there a set standard foe inserts because all the different letters and numbers seen to be a bit different depending upon where you look.

Many thanks Dell

Thread: Gasless MIG welding
16/04/2022 16:13:43

If the op is near moreton in marsh he is welcome to bring it to me and I will weld it for him , although I mostly gas weld aluminium now I do still use mig a lot , as I have just finished fabricating parts and mig welded them in a R/R Shadow so I am used to mig welding thin steel.

PM me if interested Dell

Thread: Making a Drawbar
15/04/2022 16:05:38

Will have to go to my local engineering company to see if they can do it because my Pultra doesn’t have screw cutting.

Dell

14/04/2022 20:34:45

Thanks JasonB

that’s what I have got but I have since found out that the thread is M10 X .8 buttress and I can’t find a tap of that size, I don’t know if it’s possible for it to be done on a screw cutting lathe.

Dell

07/04/2022 20:49:52

Roderick

both my Pultra drawbars measure 11.45mm OD and the ID of the spindle is 12.4mm so a length of steel tube

12mm OD and 8 or 9mm ID should do without the need to turn OD down.

Dell

07/04/2022 19:49:50

Thanks everyone I just checked my Pultra drawbar with a file and it’s not hard.

07/04/2022 19:02:10

Hi all

I want to make a drawbar for some 10mm Schaublin collets I have about 50 because they are a perfect fit for a Pultra , even the chap at Smart&Brown said that’s what they recommend because Pultra collets are so hard to find, I have a M10X.75 tap but I am not sure what to use to make the bar , will mild bright steel be strong enough, or would stainless steel be better, also if mild steel would be okay would I need to harden it,

thanks Dell

Thread: What size are my nipples
04/04/2022 09:24:23
Posted by noel shelley on 03/04/2022 18:07:59:

0BA, 1/4" BSF, 1/4" UNF, 6mmX1 all posible. How many do you need, Straight,45* and 90*. Noel.'

Hi Noel

i need 4 straight 2 for each lathe.

Dell

03/04/2022 19:20:16

Found some 6 mm that are similar looking but if I can’t find 0BA I will give them a try not a lot of money and as Duncan said it’s not exactly critical.

03/04/2022 18:59:45

It is a 1940’s Pultra made in Manchester uk and a 2BA spanner is a good fit to the hex and most of the small nuts to adjust the crosslide gibb are BA that what makes me think it’s BA but I can’t find anyone selling any let alone brass ones that I would prefer , I have two 17/70’s to do so I need 4 and I have managed to find the paint code to the original cream colour.

03/04/2022 17:57:33

Thanks for reply’s

I thought when I wrote title I would get some quick looks and hopefully replies.

Dell

03/04/2022 15:52:58

Hi all

i am trying to find replacement oil nipples for my Pultra 17/70 I think the thread is 0 BA because a tap seems to thread in but is there anything else that is that close that they could be , also I am having trouble locating 0BA nipples most seem to be 2BA .

Thanks Dell

Thread: Not a Pultra 17/50
12/01/2022 19:03:19
Thread: Mini-Mill Belt Drive Conversion
05/01/2022 19:42:33
Posted by Hugh Stewart-Smith 1 on 29/12/2021 12:07:05:

We hope to have belt drive conversion kits in around 6-8 weeks if you're not in a hurry.

Hugh Amadeal

I have emailed about the belt drive conversion but had no reply

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Engineer or Model Engineers' Workshop? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Engineer & Model Engineers' Workshop

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
Dreweatts
cowells
Eccentric July 5 2018
Eccentric Engineering
Rapid RC
Subscription Offer

Latest "For Sale" Ads
Latest "Wanted" Ads
Get In Touch!

Do you want to contact the Model Engineer and Model Engineers' Workshop team?

You can contact us by phone, mail or email about the magazines including becoming a contributor, submitting reader's letters or making queries about articles. You can also get in touch about this website, advertising or other general issues.

Click THIS LINK for full contact details.

For subscription issues please see THIS LINK.

Digital Back Issues

Social Media online

'Like' us on Facebook
Follow us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter
 Twitter Logo

Pin us on Pinterest