By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Member postings for jamie creighton

Here is a list of all the postings jamie creighton has made in our forums. Click on a thread name to jump to the thread.

Thread: hobbymat not cutting Parallel
26/01/2020 16:56:29

well just to follow this up,its now sorted and cutting true!

what it was was silly,i'd been all day cutting test bars and running a dial gauge up and down all to no avail.

this morning id made my mind up to sell it,i thought id have one last go and then i suddenly thought that if the d-shaped bar that the carridge runs on was bent slightly away from me at the tailstock end that might cause the problem.

i pulled it towards me and sure enough after a skim cut the taper was at the chuck end,im on to something i thought.

i put some masking tape across the bar/backplate and put 3 lines across the joint,i then cut the masking tape in half so the lines become reference points as to how much i move the bar towards me . after 5 mins it was cutting true!

im chuffed to bits as i had all but given up on this little lathe.

20/01/2020 18:22:49

just an update,

i ran through setting it up again and still no joy.

i then bought new spindle bearings and have just put them in.i will check it all again at the weekend as i also now have a 30mm bit of steel to use as a check for true cutting but on starting it up and letting it run im amazed at how silent it it now is. fingers crossed

10/01/2020 17:27:59

many thanks, basically what i was going to do but thought it best to check from those that have done it.

09/01/2020 19:14:42

would you care to share the instruction please?

09/01/2020 18:08:07

thanks,i re check that as well,in the meantime i made a couple of spanners to do the bearing lock nuts up with properly

07/01/2020 17:36:50

just to say thanks for all the help fella's.

i will give it a good check over at the weekend and report back

07/01/2020 16:48:32

mine are too,the middle hex bolt is the forcing one

07/01/2020 04:22:38

the 56mm was just an example figure,the bar stock was about 25mm and 120mm long.

06/01/2020 19:14:55

hi howard,

im not using the tailstock,i will have a good look at the jaws of the chuck,its a 4 jaw but i have the standard 3 jaw that came with the lathe so i can check it cutting agaisnt the 4 jaw to see if thats the problem.

all the gibs have been re adjusted but i must admit i didnt lock them off,the hobbymat has on the crossslide and the tool post slide a allen bolt that sits i between 4 gib grub screws,i guess that the slide lock?

i have cleaned out and re greased the main spindle bearings,would over tightening cause the spindle to not run true with the carridge? i did run the lathe for 30mins and check if the area around the bearings got hot but i will re check.

06/01/2020 18:12:37

so i finally got around to trying out my hobbymat lathe,i mounted it on 3 laminated boards of plywood and levelled everything up.

when i do some test pieces they all seem to be tapered,ie its taking more off the tailstock end than the chuck end.

what i mean as an example is it measures 56.6 at one end and at the chuck it goes up to 56.7mm.

ive ordered some more round bar to do the ring test so i can see whats going on but until then any pointers would be appreciated.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Engineer or Model Engineers' Workshop? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Engineer & Model Engineers' Workshop

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
Allendale Electronics
Ausee.com.au
ChesterUK
Eccentric July 5 2018
cowells
Warco
emcomachinetools
Eccentric Engineering
Subscription Offer

Latest "For Sale" Ads
Latest "Wanted" Ads
Get In Touch!

Do you want to contact the Model Engineer and Model Engineers' Workshop team?

You can contact us by phone, mail or email about the magazines including becoming a contributor, submitting reader's letters or making queries about articles. You can also get in touch about this website, advertising or other general issues.

Click THIS LINK for full contact details.

For subscription issues please see THIS LINK.

Digital Back Issues

Social Media online

'Like' us on Facebook
Follow us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter
 Twitter Logo

Pin us on Pinterest