By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Member postings for Phil Davies

Here is a list of all the postings Phil Davies has made in our forums. Click on a thread name to jump to the thread.

Thread: Long bed lathes affected by the tide
05/12/2019 15:20:28

Anecdotal of course, but I know of at least one place where this has happened, though of course it is based on hearsay. I do know a place where I used to work as an apprentice, on one of the machines there was a large trumpf CNC punch press, and it used to play havoc when you were trying to clock in jobs, with the dial indicator bouncing all over the place. They did eventually move it into an adjoining building, and set it into a rubber lined foundation. (Which, they soon discovered, had an underground stream under it....)

Thread: Warco GH1230 and Toolposts
21/11/2019 11:16:59

Heh, I do like metal magling.... My particular expertise is CNC, either GCode or Mazatrol (Used to program and run large Integrex Mill/turn machines as well as 5ft vertical borers - with the latter a 1/2" cut in duplex was not uncommon....). I think its a case of getting the lathe, then looking for a suitable toolpost, I do like the multifix holders, reminds me of my apprentice days in the training school.

Thanks for the link to create tooling, I think that this would be the route I go down, I have no qualms in modifying the cross slide to suit, or to make adapters to suit.

I used to have a small Warco 180 years ago, and still have a lot of tooling from that, since I am a hoarder. Mostly carbide inserts regardless. I also have a decent grinder (just needs decent white wheels, or CBN wheels for carbide) and am quite adept at grinding my own tooling. I was taught properly, can hand grind drills, including split point, rake etc etc. Its been a while, I must admit :D . Last place had a toolroom so you get lazy lol.

[quote]I've more money than I care to admit tied up in "seemed a good idea at the time" white elephants.[/quote]

Did I mention I bought the mill just over a year ago, and it has never cut a single piece of metal?

19/11/2019 09:04:30

Hello all, long time lurker, but only just created an account. My background is machining, and I am primarily a CNC Machinist (Turning and Milling) naturally, spent the first year training on manual machines, and have used them on an doff over the years.

This said, I am looking for a Lathe to complement the Mill I purchased last year (Super Major Milling Machine with 3 axis DRO) which, I will admit, has been gathering dust in my unit (I did have my own business, but just joined another business and now only run the place for them) since purchase as I never had the time. Since I am now getting itchy feet with metalworking and want to work with metals again, I am installing all this in my home garage.

I have a couple of questions, I settled on the GH1230 due to the size, and capabilities. Any drawbacks? I will struggle to get the bugger installed and lifted but that's an entirely different problem :D.

Also, What quick change toolpost would you recommend for this? I was looking at the Warco Piston type for these machines, but if there are better out there I would be interested. Not looking at throwing money away of course!

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Engineer or Model Engineers' Workshop? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Engineer & Model Engineers' Workshop

Support Our Partners
EngineDIY
Eccentric July 5 2018
cowells
emcomachinetools
ChesterUK
Warco
Eccentric Engineering
Subscription Offer

Latest "For Sale" Ads
Latest "Wanted" Ads
Get In Touch!

Do you want to contact the Model Engineer and Model Engineers' Workshop team?

You can contact us by phone, mail or email about the magazines including becoming a contributor, submitting reader's letters or making queries about articles. You can also get in touch about this website, advertising or other general issues.

Click THIS LINK for full contact details.

For subscription issues please see THIS LINK.

Digital Back Issues

Social Media online

'Like' us on Facebook
Follow us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter
 Twitter Logo

Pin us on Pinterest