By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Member postings for Keith Wyles

Here is a list of all the postings Keith Wyles has made in our forums. Click on a thread name to jump to the thread.

Thread: Scribing with verniers
04/01/2022 13:45:18

To keep things square I made a metal marking gauge similar to the woodworking version.

Thread: Middle of Lidl
27/12/2021 18:30:30

Thanks for sharing Martin

Thread: A Merry Christmas to All
25/12/2021 09:10:12

Happy Christmas to everyone on here.

Thread: Can you identify these hand tools?
23/12/2021 13:47:03

Years ago, I removed the handle from one and mounted it. gets used as a mini anvil. Old fashioned flat irons, mounted upside down also make good small anvils.

Thread: Lock nuts / Jam nuts - MEW 311
19/12/2021 08:57:47

When I have used lock nuts it has often been to prevent a nut undoing when it isn't fully tightened. Equally, only having full nuts, both were the same size.
The article did mention that some think that the thin nut should be at the bottom.
If a bottom nut is torqued up first, then a thin nut tightened against it whilst holding it firmly, but with only enough pressure to lock the nuts and not stretch the threads doesn't it work?

Thread: Wire
17/12/2021 18:38:23

David, you can get the end "bits" for a lot less than £35.

Thread: 0 and 1BA Stainless Steel hexagons
11/12/2021 13:37:12

Used a lot of metric 3.2 mm pop rivets recently, but drilled the holes for them with 1/8" drill. I regularly mix / interchange between metric / imperial measurement.

Thread: Digital Caliper - again, sorry
09/12/2021 14:57:19

Also have a cheap Lidl one. Great for the price.

Thread: Is there a demand for Whitworth tools?
04/12/2021 12:20:22

What surprises me is that you can still buy them new when there must be more than enough already in existence for those that need them.. But i guess that they must still sell. For some sizes AF or metric can be used as a close alternative.

Thread: Over 70 Driving Licence Renewal
03/12/2021 17:31:39

Mine will be due in about 10 months. Wondering how early I should apply to renew? Already have a plastic version.

01/12/2021 16:22:08

JP
To give you a value, I paid 50p recently for some large size ones, good makes. You might get more if you find someone who needs them, but possibly supply now excedes demand.

01/12/2021 15:46:54

Howard
i have a 1/2" AF combination spanner that I bent the ring to 90deg many years ago, infact so long ago i can no longer remember why. I have a vague memory that a socket wouldn't fit, but the modified ring did. Also a metric spanner ground wider, but don;t even remember doing this.

Thread: An unusual thread size- Stanley 78 rebate plane
01/12/2021 15:38:31

When the thumbscrew on my Record version guide failed I used a spare screw from the front blade position. Not perfect as I now need to use a screwdriver.

Thread: Is Model Engineering "green"?
01/12/2021 15:32:39

With more recent interest in green hydrogen perhaps not all eggs are going into the same basket, even though its [production does rely on electricity.

01/12/2021 15:29:49

Has anyone tried grinding them to create a new size?

30/11/2021 17:56:59

I have wondered if green hydrogen burners can replace coal when it is finally banned, or an electric compressor instead of steam or if steam power will go out of fashion as it is no longer remembered from ME's youth.

Thread: An unusual thread size- Stanley 78 rebate plane
30/11/2021 06:36:13

Robin - they tend to use none standard threads.

29/11/2021 18:29:59

Nigel, isn't the who is going to look after the elderly a red herring created by those that want to see an ever increasing population to buy their products. Short termism seems to win out. Really needs a dictator with a long term vision, but that usually goes wrong. We just need to realise that the need to keep buying new things is a con, and buy products that last longer and are repairable.

Thread: Wonky threads using die
22/11/2021 14:54:14

" for example using metric drills (available in straightforward 0.1mm increments) rather than Imperial Letter and Number drills, which are bonkers illogical. "

I have often wondered how number and letter drill sizes came about. does anyone know or is it lost in history?

A mixture of metric, imperial and letter / number drills does give you even more choice for fine tuning sizes.

Thread: Axminster Drill Clamp
22/11/2021 09:04:59

I bought mine from machine mart many years ago.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Engineer or Model Engineers' Workshop? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Engineer & Model Engineers' Workshop

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
cowells
Rapid RC
Eccentric July 5 2018
Eccentric Engineering
Dreweatts
Subscription Offer

Latest "For Sale" Ads
Latest "Wanted" Ads
Get In Touch!

Do you want to contact the Model Engineer and Model Engineers' Workshop team?

You can contact us by phone, mail or email about the magazines including becoming a contributor, submitting reader's letters or making queries about articles. You can also get in touch about this website, advertising or other general issues.

Click THIS LINK for full contact details.

For subscription issues please see THIS LINK.

Digital Back Issues

Social Media online

'Like' us on Facebook
Follow us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter
 Twitter Logo

Pin us on Pinterest