By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Member postings for David-Clark 1

Here is a list of all the postings David-Clark 1 has made in our forums. Click on a thread name to jump to the thread.

Thread: Stan Bray
21/07/2022 19:01:34

I have just read the latest Engineering in Miniature on readily. I was not very impressed with the selection of articles in this edition.

Moving on, there is the sad news of the passing of Stan Bray. He had a good innings (he was a big cricket fan) and he will be missed. I think I met him two or three times at Model Engineer Exhibitions and he was always very friendly.

Thread: New-style cover finish
07/07/2022 12:45:29

When I was editor of ME and MEW the biggest complain I got was shiny covers.

I investigated the cost of shiny covers and found if I dropped shiny covers I would save the company several hundreds of pounds a month. I also found that it cost more to print a 60 page Model Engineer than it would cost to print a 68 page Model Engineer because they’d Page used two different pesos while the 68 page could be done on one press. While the savings on the 68 page were considerable, they did not outweigh the increased cost of paying contributors for 8 extra pages hence I published old content from English Mechanics which most readers would not have read.

Another thing I did as to increase subscriptions by using free gifts to subscribers to encourage subscription sales. One offer I did increased subscriptions by about 220 and they signed up for two years.

Is this still happening?

If the publishers do read this I hope they will do the same exercise I did to increase profits ad so ensure the ongoing success of the two magazines.

Thread: Model Engineers’ Workshop 317
22/06/2022 14:42:46

I don’t know if it is early but It I read it this morning on Readly.

I use Readly for Model Engineer, Model Engineers’ Workshop, Engineering In Miniature, Garden Rail and Many more magazines every month for less than£10.

22/06/2022 12:13:20

I have just seen the latest Model Engineers’ Workshop on Readly. It looks an excellent mix of articles.

The drip feed article will be very useful to many readers. When I set up my drip feed system many years ago I used the same click together pipe.

To avoid keep having to adjust the drip feed, I set it to the flow I wanted and to turn it of I used two on off taps in sequence. One was set to the required flow and the other was used to turn the flow on and off.p

Thread: Getting old, selling lathe
12/06/2022 18:03:30

Hi hopper, I don’t drink.I have never smoked either. At least six kids though!

Hi Brian, thank you.

12/06/2022 11:17:08

Good news, I can go home tomorrow.

More good news, I managed to open my own packet of crisps.

Thread: parting off copper pipe in the lathe
12/06/2022 06:45:59

Hi Hoper, they will never remove my sense of humour no matter how hard they try.

11/06/2022 10:15:11

Hi Hopper

I just posted on another thread about getting my leg cut off.

Then when I logged back on this thread came straight up with your post.

I wondered what you were on about, cutting it off on a hack saw and mount it on a stub mandrel.

I thought it was a joke particularly with reference to stub mandrel. .

I really thought I was losing the plot.

Thread: Getting old, selling lathe
11/06/2022 09:29:37

Thanks old iron.

Much appreciated.

11/06/2022 07:01:47

The eyes have it.

Hi An

Never ever give up.

I just had the week from hell.

Last Sunday I went to eye clinic for cataract surgery.

No we can’t do it because of your infected leg.

Went home.

Went to hospital for out patients appointment.

They gave me two choices.

Go home and have the leg dressed every day for the rest of my life.

Or have it chopped off.

The eyes had it.

As the infection would not get better I could never have the eye surgery.

Wednesday afternoon they chopped the leg off.

Problem was my 3rd stage kidney failure made it to dangerous to have fully anaesthesia so they cut it off with a spinal anaesthetic.

That bone saw vibrated when they cut through the bone.

At least I will be able to have cataract surgery in a few weeks.

I have been laying in a hospital bed with low blood pressure about 77 over 40 and no sign of it increasing.

So, never ever give up.

At least the health service worked for me,

They cut my first leg of just as quick just over 2 3/4 years ago.

Now my legs are both the same length.

Does anyone know of a pantomime vertical challenged vacancy this Christmas?

So, again never ever give up.

Even when your doctor phones you up the morning after having your leg chopped off about blood in my stool sample.

03/06/2022 12:00:24

Hi Alan

Fortunately my mind is fine. Plenty to do at home.

I am still working away.

02/06/2022 21:46:13

Hi Lee

Since I posted the original post, the doctors have given me a new tablet. Two days and it cured my dizziness.
it only took them ten years.

The pacemaker I had last year has stopped my blackouts. They gave me that just in case that was the problem. Luckily I only had two blackouts before I was taken to hospital for five weeks.

I went to hospital the other day for for a CT scan on my urinary tract, my bowels and my weak kidneys. It took 6 hours and about 15 attempts to get a cannula in. It will be a while before I get my results. It took about 15 attempts to get a cannula in. I ended up at the anethiolgy dept outside the operating theatre with 5 anethatists? having a go.

I have cataract surgery on Sunday, first one. On Tuesday I go to vascular to see if they can save my leg. The toes are black and my heel is rotting away.

But I am getting better.

What I am basically saying is never ever give up.

Thread: Warning buyer beware
31/05/2022 18:45:10

Hi prter

You are right but this was when second chance was first used many years ago.

Nobody new much about second chance offers back then.

I have used second chance offers when selling more than one item.

Do they still do second chance offers?

Thread: facing mill insert - what radius ?
31/05/2022 18:38:55

I think 0.4 is fine for a small mill.

a 0.4 (16 thou) cut is plenty for a small mill.

I would try and get a 45 degree angle as that would halve the tip load.

Thread: Which stand for Myford ml7
31/05/2022 18:31:05

£275 is a good price but I have seen them as low as £100 on Facebook and free ad sites like Spock.
I have always wondered about using an Ml8 wood working stand but not sure about the length.

Also machine mart do substantial benches with plywood top. Perhaps a kitchen worktop top on top would help?

Thread: Warning buyer beware
31/05/2022 18:09:59

Ignore the gobsgook inserted by Apple at the bottom.

31/05/2022 17:39:29

On EBay over 22 years I have lost about £3 to a seller that never sent the item.

As a seller I refused one refund until the seller sent the item back for checking. He wanted the refund first and I refused. The item was my own Nikonwho camera in perfect order for £250 + postage. He asked for tHe refund within 1 hour of receiving it. EBay offered him the prepaid returns label which he did not use.

EBay sided with him but as he did not send the item back he did not get the refund but EBay suspended me.

I had sold about £91,000 worth of items over 15 years and this is how they treated me.

The other time I nearly got caught was when EBay used to offer second chance offers where sellers have 2 or more items the same. It was for a Boxford CNC lathe and I was within a key press of losing about £750.

Seller and buyer beware.

Y Ed eBHe contacts

Thread: Old lathe identification
30/05/2022 09:19:50

A timing belt would probably work well.

Thread: Ml7 just bought, need help to set up
30/05/2022 08:26:54

I don’t think anyone mentioned oil. Use Nuto 32. Very thin and available on EBay. For slideways I used two stroke motor oil made for motor cycles.

Thread: Collet chuck drawbar for ML7
29/05/2022 17:48:42

I used studding (threaded rod) with a top hat bush and a nut.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Engineer or Model Engineers' Workshop? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Engineer & Model Engineers' Workshop

You can unsubscribe at anytime. View our privacy policy at www.mortons.co.uk/privacy

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
Dreweatts
Eccentric July 5 2018
cowells
Rapid RC
Eccentric Engineering
Subscription Offer

Latest "For Sale" Ads
Latest "Wanted" Ads
Get In Touch!

Do you want to contact the Model Engineer and Model Engineers' Workshop team?

You can contact us by phone, mail or email about the magazines including becoming a contributor, submitting reader's letters or making queries about articles. You can also get in touch about this website, advertising or other general issues.

Click THIS LINK for full contact details.

For subscription issues please see THIS LINK.

Digital Back Issues

Social Media online

'Like' us on Facebook
Follow us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter
 Twitter Logo

Pin us on Pinterest

Donate

donate