By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Member postings for Brian Morehen

Here is a list of all the postings Brian Morehen has made in our forums. Click on a thread name to jump to the thread.

Thread: Thermal switch in Crompton Parkinson motor
03/08/2020 07:51:00

Andrew

The live feed tto start winding is removed when the centrifugal switch changes to run winding .

I have had this problem with Commercial Tumbler Dryers overheating because the surrounding temperature was to high causeing the motor to overheat and then trip out and also Comercial Fridge Motor Overheating because they were to hot .If your motor has not been rewound then the trip is in the correct place?

If your trip operates the motor must stop Rather Like switching your main switch of or removeing the fuse it stops.

Further Investigation is required .

Good Luck look forward to the answer

Bee M

Thread: Cleaning emergency !
03/08/2020 07:23:12

Try Shower Gel or Hair Shampoo . I often use use these with great results also Lighter ( Fuel but be carfull Highly Inflamable )

Good Luck Bee.M

Thread: Thermal switch in Crompton Parkinson motor
02/08/2020 19:28:53

A thermal trip is what it states and will work on temperature to protect the motor if this oveheats the motor will stop The start winding will try to restart the motor when it has cooled down

Regards Bee M

Thread: Quality small metric spanners
27/07/2020 19:07:32

Have a look on Britool spanners website.

I have Both BA and AF in open end and some ring

Good Luck Bee,M

Thread: Faircut lathe tidy up
22/07/2020 21:38:00

Hi Jake .

I have a vice that has been made to fit my top slide . So you fit a angle block onto the cross slide and then the top slide fit to your angle block fit the vice to your top slide and you have adjustable milling Attachment

Drilling from your tailstock if you have any brocken brills that are shorter in length like Blacksmith stub drills this decreases the length of overhang , I also made a insert to fit into my thee point steady with a guide for the drill that I was using for extra support near what i was drilling if in the chuck

Regards Brian

21/07/2020 12:33:29

Hi Jake.

Not quite clear how you can mill a slot in the end of a bar if held in the chuck , Yes you can mill a slot of centre if you use the mill in the chuck and clamp the bar to hight on your cross slide you can mill the slot where you want it .

Yes Glanze Tipped tools are great for getting a good finish

Good luck Brian

Thread: Need assistance on wiring for my lathe motor
17/07/2020 08:34:09

Motor Blue is now neutral was Black

Brown is now Live was Red I presume this is now the colours of the leads on your repaired motor

If the motor leads were disconnected from your Dewhurst control by you The only difference is in the colurs beingchanged whichis the new format IE Blue was Black Neutral Brown was Red Live

Hope this is the answer to your problem I think it is really the fact that the colouse on your motor have changed.

Regards Bee M

Thread: cateracts.
14/07/2020 18:48:04

I had my first one Right Eye removed in July 2018 and the left Eye in November 2018. Very pleased with the result

fantastic being able to see without glasses apart from reading.

Good Luck hope you dont havee to wait to long for your op.

Best Regards Bee M

13/07/2020 16:09:26

I always use a centre drill to start then a small pilot hole a gradually open the hole up , tis seems to work fine for me ,

I think the drill tends to orbit or wobble when drilling with large size drills is because the point is probably not perfect .

I once had a number of motor armatures with 1/2 shafts that had sheared of and had to be drilled out these were centre drilled and a 15/32 New Morse taper drill used worked perfect. Used a Morse taper to cut out the the length of a drill and chuck which added length , The largest drill i have is 3/4 anything above that gets bored out.

Regards Brian

Thread: Hallite washers
11/07/2020 20:22:48

Used to be able to buy this in a rolled up sheet which was about 1/32 thick have used this in the past for seals on steam boilers may have some ofcuts still as left overs will have to look what i have if any interest , years since i bought any..

Regards Brian

09/07/2020 18:25:17

Hi Jake

Yours and Andy ,s Different to the Junior Lathe this peg can be completly removed by just removeing the nut yes the slot in the gear is oblong the same as mine the peg has been made from 3/8 round bar and has had all of the flats milled to fit a slow time consumeing job when it is only 10m to start with and is only 18m long ,well worth the work when finished .

Regards Brian

07/07/2020 18:10:03

Hi Jake

Had the same problem years ago took me a long time before I found out what and where the problem was , Once I made a replacment . all piece and quiet no clunk klick clackety clak another job for you.

Good Luck enjoy your lathe

Brian

02/07/2020 16:43:37

Hi Jake

When you have made your cut switch your lathe off and then return the tool to the start of your cut and look for a strait line that you may have scrached .

On your return, I wonder if this is because your cutting tool needs more of a angle on and is the back edge causing the problem .Some finishing tools are rounded and some have very small flat on the cutting point that is rounded on the back side which gives a smooth finish

Pleased to see you are enjoying lathe and having fun with what you are doing

Have fun and enjoy yourself Brian

Thread: Inserted cross slide feed nuts
24/06/2020 18:09:37

Hi Andy,

Great news Success now all the fun and work starts now

Good luck Brian

23/06/2020 20:18:02

Hi Andy , Your insert is so close to the bottom of your cross slide ,Just like mine was at the top which was why I made my replacement the way I did fear of breaking the top of my cross slide , Yours very little room to play with i will watch this operation of yours with interest. I wonder if this has just been pressed in does not like this could have been screwed in . Before i had a lathe. I had a small pulley made for a motor when collected was told this will not fit your motor shaft . Put the motor in the freezer for 24 Hrs Then push the pulley on do not use for 24 Hrs . This I did and it ran for years without any further problem the machine was eventually scrapped with the motor still OK

Good luck Brian

Thread: Curiosity Tap and Die
21/06/2020 09:13:43

BSF 5/8 14 T.P.I . Brass (B S C) 1/4 to 3/4 all 26 TPI 5/8 26 TPI , Think this used to be B S B , possibly been changed to BSC..

Brian M

18/06/2020 18:44:25

Hi Jacob.

Your question on felts i find is a puzzle the only felts I found on mine were in the bottom of the main headstock beneath the oilcups these i removed only to find that oil leaks out if i over oil , perhaps a good fault.

Emgee , question re your gloves did wonder my thoughts I bet you have very little feeling in your hands when working a loss of sesitifty when working be carefuul if you are used to wearing gloves if you decide to work without then, The more you do the better you will get you never stop learning , I remember being asked to teach someone everything i knew , My reply I will not live long enough to do that (No Reply)

Good Luck Brian

18/06/2020 18:44:24

Hi Jacob.

Your question on felts i find is a puzzle the only felts I found on mine were in the bottom of the main headstock beneath the oilcups these i removed only to find that oil leaks out if i over oil , perhaps a good fault.

Emgee , question re your gloves did wonder my thoughts I bet you have very little feeling in your hands when working a loss of sesitifty when working be carefuul if you are used to wearing gloves if you decide to work without then, The more you do the better you will get you never stop learning , I remember being asked to teach someone everything i knew , My reply I will not live long enough to do that (No Reply)

Good Luck Brian

15/06/2020 18:51:31

i Jacob

Looks like you a re winning and enjoying yourself. Have the following speed only taken a few days ago,

Motor 1345 RPM Lathe Fast 475 RPM Med 302 RPM Slow 192 RPM Just a though in the back of the old brain box a twist drill for cutting brass if the back flute is slightly undercut this stop grabbing ???. hopefully someone will correct me on this if wrong..

Have fun and just enjoy what you are doing,Brian

Thread: Boxford AUD motor drive wheel plus reverse switch issue
12/06/2020 10:13:19

Well done sounds good bet you are pleased with your work, Just keep a watchfull eye on all you have done any noise that you are not used to have a look and find sometimes saves a lot of work later.

Nice to hear a success story.Regards Brian.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Engineer or Model Engineers' Workshop? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Engineer & Model Engineers' Workshop

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
emcomachinetools
Warco
cowells
EngineDIY
ChesterUK
Eccentric July 5 2018
Allendale Electronics
Eccentric Engineering
Subscription Offer

Latest "For Sale" Ads
Latest "Wanted" Ads
Get In Touch!

Do you want to contact the Model Engineer and Model Engineers' Workshop team?

You can contact us by phone, mail or email about the magazines including becoming a contributor, submitting reader's letters or making queries about articles. You can also get in touch about this website, advertising or other general issues.

Click THIS LINK for full contact details.

For subscription issues please see THIS LINK.

Digital Back Issues

Social Media online

'Like' us on Facebook
Follow us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter
 Twitter Logo

Pin us on Pinterest