By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Member postings for DiogenesII

Here is a list of all the postings DiogenesII has made in our forums. Click on a thread name to jump to the thread.

Thread: Lathe improvements?
29/04/2020 22:12:48

Good to see that you are back, and have been doing.. Are both of these spindles to be fitted in "inboard"/standard bearings?

..and I am intrigued what is held in that battleship-shaped toolholder..

Thread: Garden Spray Head Nozzle
28/04/2020 09:13:09

Can you show us by a link/photo/description which one you have, David?

Thread: Lawn weed and feed. How much is 35g?
21/04/2020 17:42:25

..Nigel, SShh ..You'll be pestered with Spam from American legal practises offering to sue Bayer for you.. I am, daily..

Thread: Aircraft Guidance Lights, Or?
21/04/2020 17:35:13

Well done, Nigel, I did wonder - I (miss-) spent various parts of my youth with that view as a backdrop..

Thread: Lawn weed and feed. How much is 35g?
21/04/2020 16:52:30

Dosage rates for items to be broadcast are often given for a handful, quite literally - so it'll probably be about as much as one can easily take out with one (smallish) hand..

If you put some non-treasured container on the scales and set the tare, you will be able to put a handful in and see..

..wear gloves..

Thread: Aircraft Guidance Lights, Or?
17/04/2020 07:08:56

If they are not above the skyline, are you sure they are not a set of temporary traffic lights on one of the roads behind the base?

Thread: Tool post for Myford ML10 lathe
13/04/2020 07:57:17

..don't have one, but found this..

https://www.warco.co.uk/quick-change-tool-posts/209-quick-change-tool-post-90-115mm-centre-height.html#product_download

..is that the one, top left? ..some of the other posts on that brochure might also be workable?

Thread: Source of Small Extension Springs
02/04/2020 20:20:39

Ha, tiny springs are obviously like buses.. You have another message..

Thread: WARCO Open Day Postponed
13/03/2020 07:23:40

I think they've done the sensible thing, and hope that they have a successful "event" in spite of the current difficulties.

Just noticed that the "Used Machinery Sale" list is now up on their website, for any that are interested;

Warco Used Machinery

Thread: Ron's Jowitt Popett Valve Engine
20/02/2020 19:43:37

Is this what you are after?;

Centre Finder for use in the Lathe Harold Hall

Thread: Reamer specifications ?
20/01/2020 06:52:02

Fwiw, Taylor & Jones have an excellent "All you ever wanted to know about reamers.." pdf;

taylorandjones.co.uk/wp-content/uploads/2014/03/31-40_technical_section.pdf

link

..apologies for the clumsy link.. but worth looking at..

Edited By DiogenesII on 20/01/2020 06:56:14

Edited By JasonB on 20/01/2020 07:08:42

Thread: Has anyone watched this Girl
19/01/2020 11:28:52
Posted by Steviegtr on 18/01/2020 01:47:39:

She is isn't she. Very skilled at what she does. Probably cannot cook a good steak but can she wield that lathe.

https://www.wes.org.uk/content/wesstatistics

self-explanatory?

Thread: Hobbymat external chuck jaws
17/01/2020 21:06:10

Looking like you are in a good position either way, Chris - but with no thanks to me blush.. ..I think he's quite right, apologies..

www.lathes.co.uk/hobbymat/

Thread: Hobbymat MD65 fixed steady
17/01/2020 19:53:45

Roger, Many thanks for the extra views of the steadies - handy to see the base of the Prazi one.

The minilathe one certainly has a more substantial Body-Mass Index - it looks like there's enough "meat" in the base to make for a substantial mounting for the Hobbymat, if one had the means to cut to shape.. what's it made of?

The "traveller" is strikingly similar to the MESAS fixed steady in terms of the casting shape and the "coppery-looking" bronze(?) pins..

Thread: What Did You Do Today 2020
17/01/2020 08:01:02

Andrew, that's really crisp - Is that over the same former as before (the former former?) ? ..if you have the allowances easily to hand, it'd be interesting to know. I'm in awe of your even flanges .D

14/01/2020 14:04:29

Thanks, Roger, certainly looks a much more rigid set-up than the MESAS one.

Now there will be two of us looking for one...

Thread: 2020 Had my full size flash steam engine running
14/01/2020 07:56:52

Bottles for recharging air rifles come in at least 3,4,5,7 litre, & larger sizes, usually rated 300bar. They like lightweight ones to carry in the field..

Edited By DiogenesII on 14/01/2020 07:57:38

14/01/2020 07:38:19

Emgee, thanks for the correction, I should have researched - now I think of it, I'm not sure I've ever seen one that was made by Prazi.. would love to know if anyone has.. The one illustrated seems to be the most common pattern in the UK.

It'd be an easy casting job, being open moulded..

Gene, it'd be interesting to see what you have/what you wish to know - if any interesting points arise from that, one could then create a new specific thread in response.

Thread: Hobbymat external chuck jaws
13/01/2020 21:56:31

Having seen the price of a new set of hard jaws from Rotagrip via Jason's link, I didn't think the price was too bad.. probably only £16-£20 more than a used set..

13/01/2020 07:32:18

Hi Chris

If you are talking about your 3-jaw, IIRC it was made by TOS (in Poland, not China) - if it has a single oil-nipple on the front face.. Can you post a picture?

There's a set of soft jaws here - that could be machined - but message this seller first to check that these will fit your chuck - I'm sure he will know, he probably has a TOS body there to check with... He's likely to be your best bet to find a "proper" set of replacements. I have dealt with him before, he is a genuine business based in the Southwest..

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/GENUINE-BISON-TOOLMEX-soft-jaws-for-80mm-3-Jaw-chucks-HOBBYMAT-MD65-lathe/333373811085?hash=item4d9ea0a98d:g:mSgAAOSwTW9dsaXH

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Engineer or Model Engineers' Workshop? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Engineer & Model Engineers' Workshop

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
cowells
emcomachinetools
Warco
ChesterUK
Eccentric July 5 2018
EngineDIY
Eccentric Engineering
Subscription Offer

Latest "For Sale" Ads
Latest "Wanted" Ads
Get In Touch!

Do you want to contact the Model Engineer and Model Engineers' Workshop team?

You can contact us by phone, mail or email about the magazines including becoming a contributor, submitting reader's letters or making queries about articles. You can also get in touch about this website, advertising or other general issues.

Click THIS LINK for full contact details.

For subscription issues please see THIS LINK.

Digital Back Issues

Social Media online

'Like' us on Facebook
Follow us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter
 Twitter Logo

Pin us on Pinterest