By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Member postings for DiogenesII

Here is a list of all the postings DiogenesII has made in our forums. Click on a thread name to jump to the thread.

Thread: Customs payment is it a scam
22/09/2020 08:21:33

..Same here - a note from my Postie telling me to collect from depot, duty where payable was inline with VAT and charged at collection..

22/09/2020 08:03:09

It sounds like a scam.. I'm pretty sure £15 items are exempt from duty;

https://www.gov.uk/goods-sent-from-abroad/tax-and-duty

Thread: Is this doable?
17/09/2020 15:32:07

..and maybe try and give it some front clearance (angle).. it need only be small..

Thread: Taking Leave
17/09/2020 15:14:32

Likewise - I'll be sorry to see you go..

Thread: Stuart 10V Build Log - Complete Beginner...
10/09/2020 06:30:16

Can you not re-profile them so that they taper slightly - if you set them up (perhaps with pins/rods through the holes) in the vise and touch off on the "thin" side and then flip them over to reduce the "thick" side to the same dimension..? ..as the end radii are generated from the opposite hole, they won't look out of square - the eye won't have anything to pick-up on..

Thread: Faceplate workholding.
01/09/2020 07:21:05

Is this for a riser block? ..Maybe canny working-out of bolt positions will enable you to locate them either where they need to be, or in some "dead" area where it doesn't matter - then you can bolt to the faceplate it as Hopper suggests, and (with a nod to Pete Rimmer) use a half centre to add some support the distal end whillst still allowing it to be faced.

Thread: Warco Mill - but what model??
28/08/2020 22:17:37

If you can count the threads-per-inch, 3/8 Whit should be 16, 7/16 Unf will have 20..

The 7/16 Unf will look noticeably "fine" compared with M10, whilst Whit will look to be about the same pitch.

Might be worth seeing if your spindle bore will accept a piece of 12mm bar, and use treaded rod & a nut to make one - it'll be fine, strength-wise - and perhaps offer a greater range of tooling/suppliers.

28/08/2020 21:49:57
Posted by Matthew Dynes on 28/08/2020 19:26:02:

Another question.

So the thread on my drawbar is m10. Per the manual my mill is mt3.

Every collet set I look at is mt2 m10 or mt3 m12.

Am I right in thinking that I have some weird combo of mt3 m10 thread drawbar??? So confused.

Matthew, I do beg your pardon, but I have to ask whether you are absolutely sure it is M10 and couldn't possibly be the 3/8 Whitworth as indicated in the specification (from Nicholas) given above? The dimensions are, superficially at least, similar.

3/8 Whit is a common "Imperial" option for 3MT spindle tooling, so finding stuff that fits might become a little easier.

Sincere apologies if there is no doubt..

Thread: Hydraulic ram machining
23/08/2020 09:09:09

Not sure exactly what the prevalence of steel-framed buildings is in NZ, but here, nearly every non-domestic building of the last 40 years is done that way - hence "Mag-drills" have become a standard builders/farmers hire item..

Thread: Proxxon milling machine motor upgrade
21/08/2020 08:13:29

I fitted a 3-phase motor/invertor to a small (1MT spindle capacity) milling head last year - I used a 0.37kw motor having a "56" frame size and a "B14" flange mount, the shaft is 14mm dia.

0.18kw-and up are available in this frame size. About £50 new - check the "min" operating frequency/torque values - cheaper motors suffer more in this area, more expensive ones are better spec'ed at the lower end.

The motor is c. 100mm in diameter, 180 long, and has a 60mm spigot with four 6mm bolts on a 75 (or is it 76) mm PCD - if this helps as a starting point for further research. Specs may differ by maker - check!

I used two step pulleys to get useable ranges from about 350-2500 rpm from a two-pole motor, might have got same speed & more torque from a (safely) over-driven 4-pole, maybe someone can comment?

img_1014.jpg

About £56 new mid-range motor & £50 cheapy (but very well-featured, nonetheless) vfd..

Now I really MUST go to work...

D

Thread: Cutting Parameters for Small Slotdrill
20/08/2020 18:22:31

Just got home to ask the same question as JB...?

Thread: Boll-Aero 1.8cc Diesel
16/08/2020 11:23:05

Keith - commiserations! ..although from a slightly ghoulish perspective, very interesting and informative. I made an initial start on the same engine some weeks ago, and although not managing to progress quickly with it, it's enlightening to actually see physical evidence of the levels of stress that some parts are under. Best wishes for a successful conclusion..

15/08/2020 09:15:33

If it helps to offset some of the pain of the extra troubles, I think your redesign was absolutely worth it - it looks very well indeed. The proportions and "black" look spot-on. Nice.

Thread: What Did You Do Today 2020
06/08/2020 07:05:57
Posted by Roderick Jenkins on 05/08/2020 23:36:28:

Today I milled some cow bone:

bone milling.jpg

Works a treat.

Stay well,

Rod

..that swarf will be a good source of phosphoros for the garden..

Thread: Unkown plastic
08/07/2020 10:13:54

"Crystal" styrene would probably be the popular choice for an optically clear moulded product.. it's probably the only polymer that is clear enough / has the most convincing refractive properties to look like glass.. you'll be able to tell if you can burn a fragment of it - it's distinctively acrid..

Thread: Hammer flipping experiment?
07/07/2020 08:47:18

..has this come about from your researches into the Grateful Dead, Neil? ..there's a certain relevance..

Thread: Free or inexpensive 2D cad for clock wheels
29/06/2020 16:41:40

I've relatively recently discovered this;

Drawing Board App Features

..it's about £16 to buy the full package, but one can trial it for free.. ..I have no commercial interest in this product, I simply wanted a CAD package that can generate technical drawings in a way that I can get my head around in hours rather than days..

Don't be put off by the fact that it calls itself an "App" - I think they are somewhat underselling it.. Although it's not mentioned in "Features" linked to above, one can switch between absolute, relative, or polar coordinates in the same drawing, which I guess is what you will need for drawing your crossings out..

Thread: Newly back to model engineering - Issue with Hobbymat BFE65
26/06/2020 16:28:36

Agree with Paul, check the motor fan cover first. (Also, and profuse apologies if you know this, but the gears must be carefully selected before startng by turning the spindle back and forth as the engagement levers are operated until they are felt to go fully "home".. )

If you do need to check the action of the gear assembly, you need to remove the opposite cover - the one with the downfeed lever.. (Isolate the power - Remove the screw and washer, pull off the lever and dial, remove the (parallel/straight) pin and any washer or shim, then the cover screws - note that one may be shorter to avoid fouling the motor screw at the upper rear).

With the cover removed and rotating the spindle backwards & forwards by hand, switch each speed selector lever into it's high & low range - each lever acts to move a steel dog (keyed to it's respective shaft) into or out of mesh with one of a pair of (either phenolic, or ?acetal) gears which lie above and below it, and are free to rotate on the shaft.

The upper lever moves the dog between the pair on the output shaft to the spindle, the lower operates that between the pair on the countershaft which picks up the drive from the motor.

In each lever position, only one of the gears should be "connected" with the spindle via the dog - the "freewheeling" gear that is not engaged with the dog MUST still be CORRECTLY engaged with it's respective pinion on the other shaft - i.e., all four resin or plastic gears must sit squarely, evenly, and consistently, and be in constant mesh with their mating gear, irrespective of the position of the dog (- it is not unheard of for the (white) plastic gears to come loose from their internal bronze bushes, this case usually evidenced by wobbling or vertical misalignment that is obvious to the eye.

Which brings me back to the intruction regarding wiggling the spindle to ensure engagement of the dogs with the gears - the dog itself comprises only a simple tongue , and so the gears must be manually rotated to "pick up" the corresponding slots in the pinion to ensure correct drive before the motor is started.

I hope that "your" noise is just a lack of proper engagement.. if the "grub screw" detents that you mention are located in the lever-bosses, they a standard fitment.

Oh, and do be mindful of aligning the selector lever forks with their slots in the dogs when you reassemble the left hand cover.. can't remember what the lever positions have to be in, without checking.. will be obvious, I'm sure..

Let us know how how things go..

Edited By DiogenesII on 26/06/2020 16:30:05

Thread: Press Button Oilers?
26/06/2020 12:19:55

I have a Faithfull lever-action can - the brass end on the Flexi pipe is about 2.5mm at the tip, and so is small enough to push the ball down and seal against the edges of the hole on the 2.7mm-ish ball oilers on a Warco Major.. all the oil goes "in" and past the ball.. The part no. is FAIOC500;

Faithfull 500ml Lever Type Oilcan

Very pleased with it, like every lever oilcan I've owned, the pump rod (maybe?) draws a bit up so it's always a bit greasy on the outside, but never wet enough to leave a ring.. ..I'd buy another..

Thread: Inserted cross slide feed nuts
23/06/2020 20:49:42

..well, if iti helps to provoke discussion, maybe they fitted plain slugs and secured them with a grubscrew, and then spotted the thread-centre through the leadscrew brackets after they were fitted-up, in order to ensure alignment.. ..wouldn't be odd for them to come out a bit off-centre..

If they are pressed in, they'd still have to be positively located by a screw/pin/collar to resist the thrust of the screw causing "creep"..

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Engineer or Model Engineers' Workshop? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Engineer & Model Engineers' Workshop

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
ChesterUK
emcomachinetools
cowells
Warco
EngineDIY
Eccentric July 5 2018
Eccentric Engineering
Subscription Offer

Latest "For Sale" Ads
Latest "Wanted" Ads
Get In Touch!

Do you want to contact the Model Engineer and Model Engineers' Workshop team?

You can contact us by phone, mail or email about the magazines including becoming a contributor, submitting reader's letters or making queries about articles. You can also get in touch about this website, advertising or other general issues.

Click THIS LINK for full contact details.

For subscription issues please see THIS LINK.

Digital Back Issues

Social Media online

'Like' us on Facebook
Follow us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter
 Twitter Logo

Pin us on Pinterest