By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Member postings for Charles Jarman

Here is a list of all the postings Charles Jarman has made in our forums. Click on a thread name to jump to the thread.

Thread: Havenít done this for a looooong time!
27/09/2019 12:40:14

Thanks Jason.yes

chaz

27/09/2019 12:34:05

Thanks Clive very informative. As I’ve mentioned, I do look on YouTube for working practices, the first being on tool sharpening and forming, looking at the differences between carbide and hss. Knowing what tools to have in using my SL will come, eventually.

A lot of what I might make will be with Aluminium and certain plastics that I can use in my RC aircraft hobby, no real challenges for me or the SL.

chaz

27/09/2019 11:33:57

Yes Andrew, I quite understand that, hence looking on you tube at those exact materials.

Yes they’re cheap, so no love lost if they break or do not come up to expectations, but that’ll be part of my learning process, in understanding and being to evaluate the good and the bad.

regarding materials, my job involves dealing with all sorts of waste including metals, so not only can I source free materials, but get an education in where they are used.

chaz

27/09/2019 10:36:15
Posted by Farmboy on 27/09/2019 10:25:21:

My admittedly limited experience with a Unimat SL taught me that one of the most important things was to use really sharp HSS tools. I never tried carbide but my subsequent experience would suggest it is not really rigid or powerful enough to make good use of them, although someone will probably come along who uses them all the time.

It was a sweet little lathe and I still have some regrets about selling mine a few years ago but it was far too small for some of the jobs I wanted to do.

I came across a YouTube on the subject of carbide versus hss and he gave a good account on both types, the problem I’ve since found with this mini lathe is that 6mm carbides tips stand proud by 2mm above dead center, my mistake, now I have sourced 6mm hss, a cheap set admittedly, but something to start and practice with, it’s a lovely little lathe, well made too.

i am after the long handle that turns the spindle back and forth, certainly will need it if I convert the lathe for milling, if anyone has one.

chaz

27/09/2019 09:49:38

Thanks Bill.

chaz

27/09/2019 09:21:16

The last time I used a lathe was back in school over 45 years ago....wow! That long.

what I need now is a good book to read, can anyone suggest something ? Preferably mini lathe orientated, there are parts of the lathe process that were not covered at school, oh how I miss those days.

chaz

27/09/2019 09:04:56
Posted by JasonB on 27/09/2019 08:58:55:

Nuts and nuts but do check it is a RH before ordering.

excellent! Many thanks for that link Jason, now sorted.

chaz

27/09/2019 08:41:56

Morning Bill, I have all the dimensions, I’ve found a suitable t nut with a 6mm thread for the tool post, just a case of finding the spindle end nut, then I can start to learn how to use the SL, neat little machine...first steps.

my first mistake, I bought five carbide tip cutting tools, and they are 2mm too high for dead center, will now purchase the 6mm square tool, I can add shims if necessary but cannot remove the 2mm as 4mm will become too weak imho.

chaz

27/09/2019 08:21:42
Posted by HOWARDT on 27/09/2019 08:19:11:

Bearing locknut is M12x1, if that helps.

morning Howard, yes that’s the nut size I quoted, actually all the thread sizes are the same on this lathe.

chaz

27/09/2019 08:19:30

I’m not familiar with the other models so I’ll look those up, cheers Jason.

26/09/2019 22:09:18

hi all,

I’ve just registered here as a newbie as it’s been decades since I last done any lathe work.

my hobby interest is in aircraft, models, paragliding, that sort of thing. Well I’ve bought my self a Emco Unimat SL, as I don’t want to get too involved, size matters!

So my first question will be Unimat related, and that is where can I get spares from?

Please don’t mention EBay, I’ve scoured the whole world with them.

There are particular parts that I do need as I’m refurbishing the lathe and a few parts are missing, the main one being the tool post t nut and bolt.

The other must have is a M12 x 1mm nut to go on the end of the pulley.

If anyone can give me a pointer as where I can obtain these I will be truly grateful.

chaz

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Engineer or Model Engineers' Workshop? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Engineer & Model Engineers' Workshop

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
ChesterUK
Warco
cowells
Allendale Electronics
emcomachinetools
Eccentric July 5 2018
Eccentric Engineering
Subscription Offer

Latest "For Sale" Ads
Latest "Wanted" Ads
Get In Touch!

Do you want to contact the Model Engineer and Model Engineers' Workshop team?

You can contact us by phone, mail or email about the magazines including becoming a contributor, submitting reader's letters or making queries about articles. You can also get in touch about this website, advertising or other general issues.

Click THIS LINK for full contact details.

For subscription issues please see THIS LINK.

Digital Back Issues

Social Media online

'Like' us on Facebook
Follow us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter
 Twitter Logo

Pin us on Pinterest