By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Member postings for Arthur Goodwin

Here is a list of all the postings Arthur Goodwin has made in our forums. Click on a thread name to jump to the thread.

Thread: Hall effect sensor
25/11/2020 19:57:17

Hi

I have purchased an hall effect sensor and display unit from ebay.

The instructions are in chinese and the vendor has been no use at all.

Has any body got a wiring diagram that i could use

Thanks

Thread: Stuart victoria
07/11/2020 20:18:27

Thanks for all thetips.

Makes life a lot easier.

Arthur

06/11/2020 22:57:46

Hi

The book which came with my kit advocate sweating the mating faces together before machining.

The method outlined seemed a bit hit and miss. I was thinking a better way would be after cleaning and fluxing, to grip lightly in the vice (to keep parts aligned) and solder like that.

My Q. is. Would I get a capillary action of solder with both faces held together.

Thanks in advance

Arthur

Thread: Newmill
31/10/2020 18:41:03

Hi

My next project is to be the Stuart Victoria from grey castings.

My current mill a Clarkes CMD10 is nowhere near adequate for this so I am thinking an upgrade is the order of the day.

My budget will run to 700 for the mill and the sieg family look to be good value for money.

Any suggestions tips etc will be appreciated.

Cheers

Thread: Trunch Trojan
30/10/2020 12:30:53

Hi all

Thanks for all your lovely comments.

Have already ordered the kit for my next project.

It will be the Stuart victoria from grey castings.

I know that you guys will help out if I get stuck.

I need to upgrade my miller which is the clarkes cmd 10.

Much too small for the 13 inch bed on the victoria.

Im thinking of a Sieg. Any advice appreciated.

Arthur

29/10/2020 22:47:28

Hi I am pleased to say I've finally finished my engine. The Trunch Trojan designed and drawn by Bob Middleton to whom I am very much indebted.

Bob said he had set some challenges inhis design and I can sa that he was not understating.

It took me 12 month + but very rewarding and for myfirst project I am relly pleased with it. It still needs a plinth and painting but that will be a doddle compared.

I have attached a few pics for your perusal.

Thread: Gland packing
27/09/2020 19:22:03

Hi all

I am ready now to assemble the piston into the cylinder.

Could you advise on the best way to go about it.

The gland packing i have bought is about 4mm square and my slot is just wide enough for one width and deep enough for one revolutuon.

Is there any way to "stick" it in place.

Cheers Arthur

Thread: Trunch trojan
05/09/2020 20:05:18

Hi Guys

Just pondering on the best way to do the eccentric strap.

Do i bore to size then split and use shims or should i split first and then clamp together with the bolts before boring.

Thanks in advance

Arthur

Thread: Eccentric turning
23/08/2020 16:52:06

Wow

Thanks guys. Thats a lot of useful info to get my head round.

Art

22/08/2020 22:38:00

Hi all

It is 54 years since I did my one and only eccentric turning as a fifteen year old in the training school.

I am now faced with my second attemp in doing the eccentric sheave for my engine.

My Q is would it be accurate enough to use a 3 jaw with a spacer on one jaw or do I need to use the 4 jaw with all its incumbent setting up.

I have seen vids on you tube and the 3 jaw is certainly much easier.

What do you guys advice.

Regards Art

Thread: Crank bearing mount
20/08/2020 17:56:38

Bearing mountHi Jason

Thanks for your info , it worked a treat.

Just got one more bearing to make and I am ready for a test build before tackling the offset crank (aargh)

Many thanks Art

Edited By Arthur Goodwin on 20/08/2020 18:02:32

19/08/2020 15:33:19

Hi all

Have made the upper/lower bearing mounts from MS.

I now need to bore/ream to take the bronze bush. My q is, not having a jig borer what is the best way to machine the mating pairs so they are aligned with each other when assembled on their support pillars.

Thanks in advance.

Art

Thread: Old tool
02/06/2020 19:58:33

Hi all found this in my dads old tool chest.

Its a basic (but well made) angle finder/copier, made by E R Watts and sons of London.

There are no gradations but one interesting feature is what appears to be a "spy hole" at 4 o clock in the picture.

This component is knurled and unscrews I presume to clean the lense.

Anybody got any

info on this?

Edited By JasonB on 02/06/2020 20:28:36

02/06/2020 19:49:56

Hi all found this in my dads old tool box.

Its a basic but very well made angle finder/copier. Made by E R Watts and sons London

There are no gradations at all but what is intrigueing about it iswhat appears to be a "spy hole" (4.0 clock in picture) that ges all the way through. This component is knurled and unscrews I presume to clean the lense.

Anybody got any ideas on this.

Regards Arthur

Thread: Trunch Trojan
19/05/2020 21:41:10

Meant to say, why not do that and do away with counter bore.

19/05/2020 21:36:47

img_20200519_143253.jpg

19/05/2020 21:34:51

Hi all

Not got round to assembling the cylinder as Ineeded to prrpare the base for it.

This is were I hit a problem. The base measures 7.5 X 3.5 inches, when I mounted it to my face plate and centrslised for the counter bore, the throw was 6.5 inches and fouled the bed. My lathe is a 5 inch denford.

The only way forward was to saw off 1.5 inch.

Now looking at this with hindsight (a grrat thing) what i should have done was make the steam chest cover the same diameter as the S C and use the same bolt circle to fasten them both dowm see pics.

Any reason why Bob would not img_20200519_143218.jpghave chosen this option?

13/05/2020 23:33:46

Hi Neil

Thanks for your answer.

When you say proper gasket paper, what thickness ate we talking about.

Arthur

13/05/2020 19:12:57

Hi All

Been making good use of the lockdown to crack on with my engine (every Cloud.......)

Now at the stage where I am ready to do a test build of the cylnder and its constituent parts.

It is made up of 6 seperate components all 2.25 diameter (or thereabouts)

What I would like to know is, what is the preferred gasket material for a steam cylinder and what thickness should I be looking to use.

I have scanned other forums and the variety spans from using a dollar bill to brown paper and oil

I will be including some pictures on my next post of the parts and completeed cylinder,

Regards

Thread: Rabone machine level
29/04/2020 09:46:56

Thank you guys

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Engineer or Model Engineers' Workshop? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Engineer & Model Engineers' Workshop

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
Eccentric July 5 2018
Warco
emcomachinetools
ChesterUK
EngineDIY
cowells
Eccentric Engineering
Subscription Offer

Latest "For Sale" Ads
Latest "Wanted" Ads
Get In Touch!

Do you want to contact the Model Engineer and Model Engineers' Workshop team?

You can contact us by phone, mail or email about the magazines including becoming a contributor, submitting reader's letters or making queries about articles. You can also get in touch about this website, advertising or other general issues.

Click THIS LINK for full contact details.

For subscription issues please see THIS LINK.

Digital Back Issues

Social Media online

'Like' us on Facebook
Follow us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter
 Twitter Logo

Pin us on Pinterest