By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Member postings for Chris V

Here is a list of all the postings Chris V has made in our forums. Click on a thread name to jump to the thread.

Thread: Beginner milling chuck key question
03/11/2020 13:46:00

Ian P, thank you! My thoughts on this were no I don't understand, repeat, repeat, repeat...ah! b

Brilliant, yes got it! (-:

Thank you.yes

03/11/2020 13:36:37

Emgee, thanks yes I might try filing it, then later if it looks rough i can try machining it. Ah yes I was thinking about using the collet nut as the stop but now you mention it i can see that would not work at 45 degrees!

Bazyle, Looking at 1/2" end mills online they all seem to have sharp corners? Maybe you can get them with the rounded corners you suggest, or do you mean I should try to grind the radius myself?

Martin Connelly, would that cut the flats by feeding it into the end of the bar, or just cut the detailing? Whats one of those cutters called?

Right I better get out to the shed!

Many thanks!

Chris.

03/11/2020 12:43:12

Ah thanks for that Jason, I like it. I think I might have a flycutter, though that's a whole new level of scary!

So you mean its akin to grinding a custom cutter for the lathe?

I shall go and find it, think about it, then probably make a simple one for now I think as I'd like to get my lathe set up before I go too deep down that rabbit hole!

Cheers

Chris.

03/11/2020 12:29:22

chuck key milling.jpg

To help me set my 4 jaw chuck I need to make a couple of chuck keys. Ive barely used my Amolco mill as yet but would like to make them as aesthetically pleasing as the one pictured above indicated by the pencil. I have a square ER32 collet block so if i can find a suitable length of bar to fit it milling the 4 flats should be ok. I was thinking of milling it with the round bar horizontal.

But its how to add the bevel detail? I could probably make a good mess of it with a file, but was wondering how those with experience would mill the details?

Mill the flats horizontally then set the collet block at 45 degrees in a vice?

Mill it all with the bar vertical & then the details at 45 degrees?

Thanks in advance!

Chris.

Thread: Myford M Type tailstock alignment
11/10/2020 22:52:50

Hi Mark, thanks for this but its the Ali (Aluminium) one I found this morning. If it were steel I'd go for it but seems way too much to me for Ali. Also found a steel one on eBay but its from India, so that's another no go, once bitten and all that.

Looks like I may have to have a go at making one, or maybe a set utilising a fixed steady to hold the free end for centre drilling. I'm thinking a spot drill will be better for the actual drilled depression rather than a centre drill.

Chris.

11/10/2020 17:29:28

Hi Howard,

I'm in Somerset. Are you offering? (-: If so yes please and let me know how much....

Chris.

11/10/2020 16:19:21

Thanks Bazyle, yes good point, I have some light sewing machine oil I can use.

Thanks Roy, the rule trick is how I found out it was out of line! Compound magnifying glass is already on order (-: plus another for spare for when I cannot find the compound one!

Chris.

Thread: The Engineers Emporium Henry (Heinric) Stirling Engine
11/10/2020 14:31:57

Since last year I have been considering one of these but cannot find much info on them, based on a Heinric design, has anyone built one?

Chris.

Thread: Myford M Type tailstock alignment
11/10/2020 14:24:59

Hi again David, I just realised you didn't actually say don't use the tailstock, I just assumed!

Thanks

Chris.

11/10/2020 14:12:49

Thanks David, good to know about the Verdict one, I shall take a closer look at getting that set up. I don't know as yet about the chuck, once I got the lathe running the one thing I noticed was the tailstock being out so was concentrating on that. With the method you just describe how much metal protruding from the chuck would you suggest given no tailstock is being employed?

I was just re acquainting myself with L H Sparey's The Amateurs Lathe and see the method I suggested using a fixed steady above is described in the text, so I must have remembered that! Also a method without using a test dial but a sharp tool in the toolpost and a sheet of white paper to aid seeing whats what,...this could be more my level right now! (-:

For checking the dia of a turned piece, is a micrometer (which I have not got) the correct tool or a digital Vernier caliper?

Chris.

11/10/2020 11:47:03

Hi Nick,

Thank you yes I have found plenty of these but I'm after a longer one around 12". Have found one in Ali this morning but I shall not be buying that, must be a steel one somewhere?!

Regards Chris.

11/10/2020 10:22:26

no2 verdict.jpgno1.jpg

Good morning David & Howard,

So attached are my two second hand indicators, the larger one is a bit sticky but if the plunger is part depressed then actually it seems ok. The Verdict one has a different tip?

Howard, thank you something like this was in the back of my mind. Its the small bore size creating the issue in my head at least, you would think there is a market for between centres test bars especially for those with smaller lathes but I cannot locate one online?? I was wondering if to make one if I got a larger dia ground bar say 1" or so, one end in the 3 or 4 jaw chuck and then centred the far end say 12" long accurately within a fixed steady, drill the centre and then reverse the bar and centre drill the other end. Does this seem a reasonable way to do it?

Chris.

10/10/2020 17:24:59

Thanks David,

Yes that's what I thought but thought i'd best check! I will post photos later or in the morning, I think I have two types with different tips...

Chris.

10/10/2020 16:42:39

Hi David,

Ah thank you, I like it!

I got a second hand dial indicator, when I depress the tip the needle appears a bit sticky, is this normal or should I be looking for a better one would you say?

Chris.

10/10/2020 15:56:13

Thanks Ady1, thats a fair point well made.

Thanks Bazyle, ok I will leave off buying a test bar for now. Yes I don't think dropping the tailstock on the bench helps either...oops!

Chris.

10/10/2020 10:00:12

Good morning all,

I have finally mounted up my Myford M type and have found the tailstock is a tad out of alignment.
I have been looking at test bars, the 1MT to fit this lathe seem only to have 4" or 100mm of straight, plus the MT section. Could someone please explain how you go about aligning the tailstock? test bar in the tailstock? Some other method between centres?
Not having experience of this I'd have thought a longer bar between centres would be the way to go, but I just don't know?

Chris.

Thread: Amolco Mill depth stop?
13/09/2020 11:53:07

Well Ive just ordered a double split collar to fit hopefully the column, then plan to drill & tap it for a length of studding.

Unlikely to be super precise but it should be an improvement on having nothing.....

12/09/2020 17:33:29

Well I'd not looked at the drill before, I wonder why they didnt provide one...cost grounds perhaps...

12/09/2020 16:58:10

Hmm thanks Andy. I'm hoping to cut some flutes around a column that stop short from both ends.

So far a short length of oak strapped to the column with masking tape has worked, however its not the most elegant solution!

Hope someone has come up with a better dodge?!

Chris.

12/09/2020 16:20:51

Hi all, particularly anyone who has or has had an Amolco Mill.

Am I missing something or is there no vertical depth of cut stop on these mills?

If not, are there any simple ways of rigging something up?

Chris.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Engineer or Model Engineers' Workshop? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Engineer & Model Engineers' Workshop

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
emcomachinetools
Eccentric July 5 2018
Warco
cowells
ChesterUK
EngineDIY
Eccentric Engineering
Subscription Offer

Latest "For Sale" Ads
Latest "Wanted" Ads
Get In Touch!

Do you want to contact the Model Engineer and Model Engineers' Workshop team?

You can contact us by phone, mail or email about the magazines including becoming a contributor, submitting reader's letters or making queries about articles. You can also get in touch about this website, advertising or other general issues.

Click THIS LINK for full contact details.

For subscription issues please see THIS LINK.

Digital Back Issues

Social Media online

'Like' us on Facebook
Follow us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter
 Twitter Logo

Pin us on Pinterest