By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Member postings for Chris V

Here is a list of all the postings Chris V has made in our forums. Click on a thread name to jump to the thread.

Thread: Powder coating
02/03/2020 20:32:29

We had two radiators at different times powder coated and both are flaking paint off, never again!

Chris.

Thread: Copper Plating
01/03/2020 11:33:39

Thank you S.O.D.

Yes I can see that (£and am grateful for all the advice from everyone even with some of it conflicting! (-:
Having bought plugs and another wall wart and failed, probably for many reasons, my next try will be with batteries as advised by others as battery holders are already ordered. If I get some sort of positive result then mains power will be the next step.

Thank you Jouke & Joseph.

Ive looked over both links, the first rather went over my head but I'm picking tips up all the time.

My new container will have 7 ltrs of de-ionised water to take both the parts I'm wanting to plate together. Power will be a choice of 1x AA battery or 2x AA. There will be more space between the items and the annode.

Ive yet to figure out how much crystals I should add to start off with?

Cheers

Chris.

29/02/2020 17:30:38

Thanks Howard, yes my plan is to link 2 together,

Cheers

Chris.

Thread: Fitting Chuck Jaws
29/02/2020 17:28:59

Thanks Howard!

Cheers

Chris.

28/02/2020 17:06:15

Hi Bandersnatch, sorry no my last post was incorrect, I was talking about my 3 jaw self centring chuck. One jaw fitted easily the other two not so much.

My last post was indeed confused! If you re read it & substitute the 4 for position 2 hopefully you will get what I meant, not that it was important, just recognising that part of my question was a bit daft!

Chris.

28/02/2020 16:55:06

Thanks Howard, yes setting one up properly is something Ive yet to tackle. With not as much time as I'd like it seems the way forward is to learn these new (to me) ways of working as and when I need them. Not ideal but needs must!

Chris.

28/02/2020 15:47:08

Thank you all, I'm almost glad I had the problem now, Ive picked up so many useful tips.

BTW it did occur to me after I had made my request that if the manufacturer have gone to the effort of supplying two sets of jaws and had bothered to number them they why would he have numbered say no 3 jaw if its correct position was slot 4! Doh!

Anyway I got the jaws in today, seems to have been localised rust.

Thank you all again,

Cheers

Chris.

27/02/2020 19:26:13

Thanks Tim, more good tips and yes i'm going to try next with 2 x 1.5v batteries.

Cheers

Chris.

Thread: Fitting Chuck Jaws
27/02/2020 19:23:24

Nice one Stevie, .....its not just me then (-:

Chris.

27/02/2020 17:09:57

Thanks very much David, that looks like a really handy tip!

Cheers

Chris.

27/02/2020 16:49:10

Thanks Brian!

Chris.

27/02/2020 16:12:11

Thanks Jason that's good to know. Big mallet then (-;

Cheers

Chris.

27/02/2020 16:04:22

With my lathe came a 5" 3 jaw chuck, with both sets of numbered jaws, inside & outside.

Clearly it hadn't seen one set of jaws for some time as I had to gently persuade two of the jaws that were fitted out with a wooden mallet due to rust.

I now wish to fit the other set of jaws.

Question is do I fit No1 jaw in chuck marked No1 & so on?

I ask as two went in ok-ish but the other is putting up a struggle, obviously I don't want to force it and damage something.

I have a VERY vague memory from metalwork at school that two of the jaws have to be swapped over?

Maybe I'm completely miss remembering but would appreciate knowing for sure?

Thanks

Chris

27/02/2020 15:59:05

Thanks Neil, good to have several options!

Chris.

26/02/2020 19:22:55

Thank you to all above. Yes actually I found Gateros last night and after having a read thought I might as well give up! Not that I don't agree though, there is lots of info and only by persisting will I learn.

My original posting was where can I get this done ie recommendations, but I will try again. But I'm looking to spend very little initially to see if I can get a result. So I'm liking the idea of using a battery at least to start with.

Thank you for clarifying regarding Switch-mode. Its silver solder and the plating that did adhere seemed to colour the solder ok, so I'm hopeful regarding that.

I will have to wait till next week to get out to buy some de-ionized water before trying again. Thank you for explaining what its used for and where to obtain it!

I think it was on the Gateros site I read about a milky deposit which I had in places. This being an indicator that the solution is contaminated. If that's the case presumably starting a new mix ie binning the existing would be best?

I have more copper sheet than tube so that's helpful, as is knowing I can use a plastic vessel, this will enable the electrode to be further away as I have something more suitable.

Thank you again all for your input. I will try again next week.

Cheers

Chris.

26/02/2020 14:28:59

Thank you Neil & Dave.

I did wonder if the electrode was too close but had difficulty finding a container deep enough but not too large.

However having set up as I have I realised I can use a shallower container & fix through the hole I'm currently hanging the leaf from so that its horizontal.

Having decided I should remove the roughness achieved so far and struggling to remove it with Autosol (the surface is planished) I remembered I have some pickling salts and was trying that to see if it would help when your message came through Neil. The pickle did not remove the roughness so I will have to remove what I can at least on the outside with a polishing wheel.

What should I then use to degrease before pickling again, methylated spirits, turpentine??

I will then bin my solution and start again with a weaker mix. Presumably I should also pickle the electrode?

Seems this can be sheet copper as an alternative?

Can I use a plastic container rather than glass?

Yes we have hard water in Somerset. Would I buy distilled water at a chemist's?

Could I use rainwater instead?

Cheers

Chris.

25/02/2020 23:30:16

Hi Duncan, no I don't have one of those.

Turning in for tonight now

Cheers

Chris.

25/02/2020 19:34:00

Thank John!

Chris.

25/02/2020 19:32:36

Thanks Howard. Please see pics for power source etc.power source.jpg

plating setup.jpg

plating results 1.jpg

Yes I can confirm 240 volts hurts as i found out a couple of weeks ago. Hence my nervousness and asking the question! I will be happier and no doubt safer if I can get away with domestic batteries.

Cheers

Chris.

25/02/2020 19:24:36

Thank you Dave, I didn't do anything I can remember like this at school so I'm a bit clueless i'm afraid.

What does +ve mean please, and by the electrolyte you mean the plating solution?

Chris.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Engineer or Model Engineers' Workshop? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Engineer & Model Engineers' Workshop

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
Allendale Electronics
emcomachinetools
Eccentric July 5 2018
cowells
Ausee.com.au
Warco
ChesterUK
Eccentric Engineering
Subscription Offer

Latest "For Sale" Ads
Latest "Wanted" Ads
Get In Touch!

Do you want to contact the Model Engineer and Model Engineers' Workshop team?

You can contact us by phone, mail or email about the magazines including becoming a contributor, submitting reader's letters or making queries about articles. You can also get in touch about this website, advertising or other general issues.

Click THIS LINK for full contact details.

For subscription issues please see THIS LINK.

Digital Back Issues

Social Media online

'Like' us on Facebook
Follow us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter
 Twitter Logo

Pin us on Pinterest