By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Member postings for Ivan Winters

Here is a list of all the postings Ivan Winters has made in our forums. Click on a thread name to jump to the thread.

Thread: Learning CAD with Alibre Atom3D
15/07/2019 19:26:38

I just saved one of the .FCStd files as a AA_PRT file and it opened perfectly in Alibre Atom 3D. Looks like a case of problem solved. Thanks

15/07/2019 15:27:41

Slightly off topic (I have no doubt the 'Moderator' will move me to the correct thread !) I have been enjoying the 'new' Exercise Manual that we can get FOC through Mintronics. Mintronics were very helpfull getting me the correct discount code for this item. It contains practise with features which the original manual included with the trial program doesn't have.

The item which has been catching my eye is that we are encouraged by the program to save parts etc in a file format ending **.FCStd . What on earth is this format ? Alibre opens the files again quite happily but it doesn't change the fact that I have never before seen this file format.

Anyone shed any light on this weirdity ??

Thread: Learning Fusion 360
09/07/2019 15:06:12

+2 for McWhorter

Thread: Where to begin?
09/06/2019 19:18:58

I have looked at three CAD programs so far:

I started with FreeCad. I couldn't even get into the opening screen to try a 2D sketch (these are the base from which all 3D assemblies are created). Looked at a tutorial but it didn't explain how to start getting the basics done before using the fancy tools the tutorial was going on about. The manual was a few pages of a wikimanual style sheet which was telling me about all the powerful features but nothing about the basics.I also tried to log onto their forum. Was told that I had to fill in an online form and would be sent a forum registration code. Tried three times - no code received. BTW if you can get FreeCad to work it includes a CAM module to create G-code for your CNC machines.

Then looked at Alibre. This is a long standing industry favourite. You can go on to forum threads talking about all sorts of high level programs and their is always someone coming on with a comment on the lines of 'I have been using Alibre 20 years. and it meets all my needs'. It is available on a 6 month trial from MEW or Bob Warfield's cnccookbook blog. In addition to the info in MEW their are tutorials and a very well laid out exercise manual directly linked to the opening screen. There is a very friendly helpful users forum for Alibre - the login key was sent to me with the program licence key. A very professional package. I found myself using the program within an hour.

Alibre Atom3d is officially £199 when the trial period ends but I understand persons using the 6 month offer have already had a special offer price of £165 emailed to them by a UK distributor..(Low prices for good quality CAD programs).

Then there is Fusion 360. It is free, has a massive base of tuturials etc. One odd thing is that your drawings are saved on the 'cloud'. When I tried to open the opening screen I couldn't ! I started on a tutorial and within minutes it was working very easily. There are some excellent keyboard shortcuts to save time doing regular activities. Like FreeCad it can also generate G-code for your machines.

HTH

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Engineer or Model Engineers' Workshop? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Engineer & Model Engineers' Workshop

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
Eccentric Engineering
Ausee.com.au
TRANSWAVE Converters
ChesterUK
cowbells
Meridienne oct 2019
Eccentric July 5 2018
Warco
Allendale Electronics
emcomachinetools
Subscription Offer

Latest "For Sale" Ads
Latest "Wanted" Ads
Get In Touch!

Do you want to contact the Model Engineer and Model Engineers' Workshop team?

You can contact us by phone, mail or email about the magazines including becoming a contributor, submitting reader's letters or making queries about articles. You can also get in touch about this website, advertising or other general issues.

Click THIS LINK for full contact details.

For subscription issues please see THIS LINK.

Digital Back Issues

Social Media online

'Like' us on Facebook
Follow us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter
 Twitter Logo

Pin us on Pinterest