By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Member postings for Oven Man

Here is a list of all the postings Oven Man has made in our forums. Click on a thread name to jump to the thread.

Thread: Rabone machine level
28/04/2020 20:50:59

I picked up one of these from Aliexpress in China. Don't know how the accuracy compares with the real thing but better than a broken one.

Peterlevel picture 01.jpg

Thread: Centre finding
24/04/2020 09:59:33
Posted by Sakura on 24/04/2020 09:32:31:

If you're using a wobbler, are you halving the diameter of the ball and zeroing the readout before entering width dimension?

If you are just looking for the centre the ball diameter cancels itself out and can be ignored. Or am I missing something?

Peter

Thread: Could be useful - single phase vfd
13/04/2020 09:45:02

We used to use a single phase in / single phase out VSDs at work for driving sub 500 watt permanent capacitor single phase fan motors but to be perfectly honest they were not very good. We only used them as a retrofit on motors that were already installed and it was too much hassle to change them. We did a lot of investigating such drives and came th the conclusion that nobody produces anything that is any good. Single phase in and three phase out is the only way to go with everything except maybe fan drives.

Thread: Hello from sunny Yorkshire
11/04/2020 09:30:49

Hello Mark, welcome. Like you my workshop is an internal garage. It's not perfect but has the advantage for me of not having to go outside to get to it. Probably the biggest downside is no windows but its good for security.

Peter

Thread: Coronavirus
10/04/2020 21:58:21
Posted by V8Eng on 10/04/2020 15:10:25:
Posted by modeng2000 on 10/04/2020 14:22:27:

I hope they don't use this as away of reducing the population to save building more housing.

With all these people of breeding age in many countries being locked in for weeks I reckon we will see a baby boom early next year.

Hope they’ve got plenty of Midwives trained.

Edited By V8Eng on 10/04/2020 15:11:26

Be interesting to see what the divorce rate does as well.

Peter

Thread: Percival Marshall gramophone message?
08/04/2020 18:32:48

Before 1921, sterling silver, 1921 to 1947, some silver but I don't remember the proportion.

I just mention it for information, I don't advise defacing the coinage!!!

Best Regards,

Swarf, Mostly!

Thankyuo SM for that information - very useful. They were collected by my father and somewhere I have the list he made with all the dates of the collection. I will have a look and see if there is anything valuable.

Peter

08/04/2020 09:57:14

I've still got a pile of old shillings. A use for them at last?

Peter

Thread: New design of mains plug?
02/04/2020 10:48:24

Please can someone explain why plugs on appliances come with a plastic cover on the pins. Seems like an example of single plastic at its worst.

Peter

Thread: Insulating board that won't drop powder as it is touched
30/03/2020 10:09:27

All commercially made laboratory and industrial heat treatment ovens going up to around 600C have stainless steel liners to overcome the dust problem. As most have a circulating fan the abrasive effect of the air on any soft insulation is disastrous. For high temp use back the stainless with 25 mm of ceramic fibre and then a layer of mineral wool slab about 50 mm thick. If you want a nice cool exterior build a double skin case with a ventilated airgap. For a simple home built job vermiculite board is probably as good as it gets for non shedding material. If you are using stainless for oven building go for ferritic 430 rather than austenitic 304, it doesn't expand as much.

HTH Peter

Thread: New beginner; Russell
28/03/2020 11:24:31

Welcome along Russell. Get yourself a copy of "The Amateur's Lathe" by L H Sparey and/or Neil Wyats book on the Mini Lathe and have a good read.

Thread: The Home Workshop Dictionary - FREE E-BOOK
25/03/2020 09:49:11

Thankyou very much Neil. Looking forward to reading it.

Peter

Thread: What are you reading?
21/03/2020 09:48:41

Project Gutenberg is an excellent source of out of copyright free books, both fiction and non fiction. Just been reading a book from PG on how to make nitro explosives. Seems you need to build the factory on a hillside as everything is done by gravity to eliminate sparks from motors and pumps.

Have also been reading "The Age of Wonder". It is a book about the "scientists" Joseph Banks, William Herchel, Machael Faraday and others aound 1750 to 1840. Its interesting how literature and science were so intertwined at that time. People like Wordsworth and Colleredge were also very interested in science.

Peter

Thread: Internet crash
17/03/2020 18:50:53

According to the ISPs evening use is 10 times the daytime use so they see no problem in coping with the extra load.

Peter

Thread: This is me...
17/03/2020 09:32:02

Welcome Wrinx from another inhabitant of Chesterfield

Thread: Solar panel surprise
13/03/2020 13:04:27
Posted by not done it yet on 13/03/2020 11:22:46:

I make no adverse comments on the marlec offering - I know nowt about what extras it provides - but a Solic 200 is rather less costly and just gets on with the job of diverting surplus generation to the hot water cylinder. No frills - they just work.

Thank you NDIY and John MC for that information. I didn't realise that there are other alternatives on the market.

Peter

12/03/2020 17:29:52

solar output.jpg

The chart above shows the output from my 3kW system located in North Derbyshire. The interesting thing is how consistent the output is over the years. The supplier said it would take about eight and a half years to recover the costs and I've done it in eight. I've got a solar boost unit on my wish list, interesting to read comments about it. Not so sure about needing to clean the panels, unless you can do it for nothing. I doubt you would recover the costs if you had to pay someone to do it.

Peter

Thread: Cheap drill bit sets
09/03/2020 17:02:33

The larger sizes of Dormer drills are/were made in Brazil. We built a quite sophisticated heat treatment furnace for Dormer when they were manufacturing in the UK. When they shut the UK plant and shifted everything to Brazil one of my colleagues went out there to recomission it.

Thread: NEMA selection for electronic leadscrew
04/03/2020 16:16:40

The power supply for stepper motors is an important consideration. I have a NEMA 24 4Nm stepper directly driving the Z axis on my Champion V20 mill. I use a 40volt DC home made linear power supply and the system has more than enough power to lift the head without any other assistance.

Thread: Coal being phased out
21/02/2020 17:12:59
Posted by Russell Eberhardt on 21/02/2020 16:57:53:

Is it right to use land to produce biofuels when over 800 million people in the world are going hungry?

Russell

The move to biofuels is a good example of the law of unintended consequenses.

Thread: Please may I join your Forum?
18/02/2020 22:25:31

Andrew, Yes indeed. looks like a late 1970s model. You can tell the age from the serial no. - month and year then a sequential number for that year. We've still got the records of almost all the units we have ever made since about 1960.

Peter

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Engineer or Model Engineers' Workshop? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Engineer & Model Engineers' Workshop

Support Our Partners
Eccentric July 5 2018
Rapid RC
Dreweatts
cowells
Eccentric Engineering
Subscription Offer

Latest "For Sale" Ads
Latest "Wanted" Ads
Get In Touch!

Do you want to contact the Model Engineer and Model Engineers' Workshop team?

You can contact us by phone, mail or email about the magazines including becoming a contributor, submitting reader's letters or making queries about articles. You can also get in touch about this website, advertising or other general issues.

Click THIS LINK for full contact details.

For subscription issues please see THIS LINK.

Digital Back Issues

Social Media online

'Like' us on Facebook
Follow us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter
 Twitter Logo

Pin us on Pinterest