By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Member postings for Oven Man

Here is a list of all the postings Oven Man has made in our forums. Click on a thread name to jump to the thread.

Thread: Selling on behalf of executors in 1975
12/07/2020 20:08:51

Thanks Ady 1 for this. It makes you wonder how they did it for that price even in those days.

Peter

12/07/2020 10:14:35

Does anybody know how much a basic Myford Super 7 would have cost in 1959?

Peter

Thread: LED GLS bulbs
08/07/2020 10:13:40

I have always been quite skeptical when people have mentioned switches as being responsible for problems, mainly because the usually come from people with little or no electrical knowledge. However after following this thread and reading the various sensible theories I can now see how they could potentially be a problem. It really is amazing the depth of knowledge on this forum, thank you very much. Just off down the Screwfix to pick up some MK switches. MK has always been my go to make since my electrical apprentiship days.

Peter

Thread: Lamp Post Engine
05/07/2020 10:20:55

Very nice indeed. I love the way the generator runs off the rim of the fly wheel, makes for a very neat and compact installation.

Peter

Thread: LED GLS bulbs
05/07/2020 10:13:27
Posted by Michael Gilligan on 05/07/2020 08:27:49:
Posted by Ady1 on 05/07/2020 08:01:51:

So is that the startup surge killing the driver?

and is it the power supply or the led that fails?

No ... The driver seems to survive, but I think the bad switch contacts are acting as a diode for a few mains-cyles: de-stabilising the driver and over-driving the LEDs.

To quote my previous post: ... a recent failure resulted in two visibly burnt LEDs in the array [one of which went open-circuit].

For the avoidance of doubt; that’s two LED chips in the array within a single ‘mains light bulb’

MichaelG.

Edited By Michael Gilligan on 05/07/2020 08:31:12

My experience has been almost the exact opposite, the driver fails not the LED. Being the nerd that I am I usually pull failed items apart to see why they have failed. I have a collection of LED chips that work OK, just need to find a use for them. Some of them are series connected and need quite a few volts to drive them. About 20 years ago I replaced the filament lamp in our door bell push with an LED and it has worked perfectly ever since, still as bright as the day it was installed. As with a lot of consumer products the components are pushed right up to their design limits so it's probably not surprising that we see so many failures. Cost also dictates that high temperature rated components are a nono. As I mentioned in a previous thread it appears that manufactures guarantee the LED for x years but not the complete bulb. Has anyone tried getting them replaced under guarantee?

Peter

Thread: Yipee the F1 is back on
01/07/2020 09:56:44

I used to be an F1 fan but lost interest when it moved to pay TV. Then reading Tom Watson's book "No Angel - The secret life of Bernie Ecclesstone" left me feeling quite despondent.

Peter

Thread: Stroboscopic effect
28/06/2020 16:34:42
Posted by duncan webster on 28/06/2020 16:25:20:

My experience, admittedly only one supplier, is that the actual LEDs are fine, it's the associated switch mode electronics that die

Duncan is absolutely correct. Interesting that that any guarantee usually says the LED is guaranteed for x years, NOT the complete lamp.

Peter

Thread: Change to the Code of Conduct
23/06/2020 10:28:52

The days of free postage from China will shortly be coming to an end which should help to level the playing field considerably.

Peter

Thread: Making Parallels
20/06/2020 16:55:13

Harold Halls book "Milling a complete course" has a chapter on making your own parallels. Seems to work quite well.

Peter

Thread: Concrete Garages, Shelving and Catastrophe
17/06/2020 10:19:58

According to my neighbour across the road drilling holes on a new concrete prefab garage will void any warranty.

Peter

Thread: component tester
08/06/2020 20:47:58
Posted by Geoff Theasby on 08/06/2020 14:04:15:

Duncan, look at:

https://www.eevblog.com/forum/testgear/$20-lcr-esr-transistor-checker-project/msg659867/#msg659867

you need reply 939, by Tom 666 (in bold atop the relevant posting)

Geoff, thanks for the link. I now know that I have an LCR-T3 board and a case for an LCR-T4.

Peter

Thread: milling machine which one ?
08/06/2020 12:21:00
Posted by Andy Shepherdson on 07/06/2020 18:49:36:

Sorry to hijack this thread but what’s your thoughts on the Chester Champion 16v. Chester have an exdisplay one for a good price and I’m finding it tempting. Also collet chuck or individual MT2 collets.

Thanks

Hi Andy I have a Champion 20V mill (the next size up) and I am pretty pleased with it. The quality is as expected for the price, it is certainly not rubbish. I would think the 16V will be of the same build quality. Even with a new one it is worth stripping down and cleaning everything. The one thing they never seem to do in China is clean the components after machining so there's lots of cast iron dust lurking in the nooks and crannies.

Peter

Thread: component tester
08/06/2020 12:07:23

Try pressing the display on to the board gently, or releasing the mounting screws. (Duncan's unit misbehaves after being put in a proper box, whilst my neglected bare board still works! Maybe Duncan's display has been upset by the way the board is mounted in the box?

Dave This is really interesting because the display on my unit changed when I put it in a case. It now has a background of many dots. Not enough to make it unusable, just annoying.

Peter

07/06/2020 21:25:46

Could it be the connection between the display and the PCB? It looks as if there are some rows/columns missing. Probably not worth spending a lot of time on considering how much they cost. Be aware that although they all appear to look the same the fixing holes in the PCB vary from make to make. I bought a board a while back and recently found case at low cost but had to modify it to fit my board. Interesting that it uses the same processor as the Arduino Uno and Nano.

Peter

Thread: Soldering Iron
04/06/2020 16:33:12

My Antex C15 is at least 40 years old and has the small diameter cable. It is my go to soldering iron for electronics work. I also have a Weller soldering gun, which is about 50 years old. Great that you can still buy spare tips and elements after all this time.

Peter

Thread: Bandsaw coolant pump help
24/05/2020 22:29:09

There is a configuration known (I think) as "Steinmetz" which enables a three phase motor to be run on single phase by the addition of a capacitor. A fairly large value I think. I can't remember the exact wiring configuration, but ran my pillar drill for years with a 3 phase motor so configured before aquiring a VSD.

peter

Thread: Lathe work
17/05/2020 17:44:18

Should the slots in the jaws be the measuring datum rather than the base?

Peter

Thread: Shocking
15/05/2020 22:38:08

BS 1363 is a dimensional standard not a quality standard.

Peter

Thread: Thermal fuse reliability
12/05/2020 10:46:28

Simon0362

I think these types of thermal fuse do "wear out". I had one fail on our water boiler the other day, probably about five years old. They have a spring inside that presses on a contact held in place by some material that melts at a set temperature. After a few hundred cycles working at near maximum current and temperature they just give up and die. The thermal fuse in my case was rated at 15 amps and so far I haven't been able to find a direct replacement. Plenty of 10 amp rated ones around. When you look at the spec sheets of some manufacturers it looks like the same fuse gets different current ratings depending on whether it is CE, UL, or CSA approved.

Peter

Thread: Box-Shifters and Quality Assurance
12/05/2020 10:31:32

Howi

Bardwells took most of my pocket money as well. I remember the throat mikes well, we used them in intercoms on rally cars. Those were the days!!

Peter

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Engineer or Model Engineers' Workshop? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Engineer & Model Engineers' Workshop

You can unsubscribe at anytime. View our privacy policy at www.mortons.co.uk/privacy

Support Our Partners
Eccentric Engineering
Rapid RC
Dreweatts
cowells
Eccentric July 5 2018
Subscription Offer

Latest "For Sale" Ads
Latest "Wanted" Ads
Get In Touch!

Do you want to contact the Model Engineer and Model Engineers' Workshop team?

You can contact us by phone, mail or email about the magazines including becoming a contributor, submitting reader's letters or making queries about articles. You can also get in touch about this website, advertising or other general issues.

Click THIS LINK for full contact details.

For subscription issues please see THIS LINK.

Digital Back Issues

Social Media online

'Like' us on Facebook
Follow us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter
 Twitter Logo

Pin us on Pinterest

Donate

donate