By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Member postings for Oven Man

Here is a list of all the postings Oven Man has made in our forums. Click on a thread name to jump to the thread.

Thread: College Engineering Supplies Spirit Level
30/12/2020 17:02:28

I made a "precision" level based on the article but used two pieces of aluminium instead of the casting. I had bought a vial sometime back direct from China. The article spurred me into making use of it. It is so sensitive that I am thinking that the vial is just a parallel piece of glass tube. It is impossible to tell how good a vial is because a proper one is ground internally rather than being a piece of bent tube as in simple builders levels.

Peter

30/12/2020 16:36:02

There is some information in a recent MEW and a link to the original article which is accessible in the archive if you are a subscriber.

Peter

Thread: Colchester Student Mk1 Won't Start
30/12/2020 10:36:05
Posted by roy entwistle on 30/12/2020 09:57:37:

It can oxidize quite quickly especially in the absence of oxygen. ?

Roy cheeky

It's the same principle as Richards oil viscosity increasing when it gets hot. But we all know exactly what he means.

Peter

Thread: Tracking
20/12/2020 16:40:46
Posted by Ady1 on 20/12/2020 11:33:13:

This years xmas post has become a disaster, I've been waiting over 2 weeks for half a dozen things which should have taken 1 week tops

I think the post office may be stuck with almost no extra staff this year, so the system has fallen over

My daughter in law works in the HR department of royal mail and tells me they have taken on over 33,000 extra people this year. Can't get much closer to the horses mouth.

From a personal point of view all the things we have recently posted have arrived at their destinations promptly, possibly quicker than the rest of the year. And no, we don't get any preferential treatment.

Peter

Thread: Alternative to 365/office etc.
14/12/2020 22:39:38

Try Libre Office. It is almost indentical to MS Office and requires very little relearning to use it. It's free and available as 32 bit or 64 bit.

Peter

Thread: Parting-off Tools for Small Lathe
14/12/2020 09:00:10

Consider using a rear tool post for parting off, it makes a world of difference.

Peter

Thread: Have You considered getting a 3D printer
11/12/2020 16:59:44

There is a Sovol SV01 in a box in our house. I am not allowed to open it until Christmas Day!

Peter

Thread: Speed limiters for cars from 2022?
04/12/2020 16:45:05

Having driven cars with a manually adjustable speed limiter I would say it is more use than cruise control in this country. It stops you accidently exceeding the limit when there are so many other things going on around you. My ancient sat nav knows exactly what the speed limits are on a road so integration to provide automatic speed limit setting should be relatively easy to implememnt.

Peter

Thread: Next issue late?
26/11/2020 16:51:39
Posted by DMB on 24/11/2020 14:54:22:

Which mag?

ME no. 4652 (20/11 - 3/12) came today.

As an aside, Webuser came recently with a letter saying nxt copy will be final and readers being trfd to Sister mag., Computeractive. Wonder whats going on?

John

Computer Shopper from the same stable is also ending with readers being transferred to Computer Active

Peter

Thread: BANG!
23/11/2020 22:52:42

Carbon fibre filaments can create some excitement among electrical gear. It took some little time to fathom out what was blowing fuses on the furnaces we had a Rolls-Royce for making carbon fibre back in the 70s. You can't see them coming and they don't leave much of a trace when they short out two phases. No burn marks, it all goes up as CO2.

Peter

Thread: Supporting Wikipedia
21/11/2020 09:32:21

I contribute a small amount each year. I use it frequently but like everything else in the world don't believe evrything you read.

Peter

Thread: Aluminium surface finish
17/11/2020 09:20:40

Yes, the grade of aluminium is very important, just like steel. Some bar I recently bought gives a terrible finish that looks like tearing, but the same milling cutter under the same conditions on another piece produces a brilliant finish.

Peter

Thread: Wiring a Super 7 with a Tyco Crompton Motor
13/10/2020 17:12:57

dewhurst 2.jpg dewhurst 1.jpgHere is a copy of the dewhurst data sheet which you might find helpful.

Peter

Thread: Grumpy old men
11/10/2020 21:58:05

I get worked up about people saying something is "for free". It's either "free" or it's "for nothing" but not both.

Peter

11/10/2020 09:43:47
Posted by Nicholas Wheeler 1 on 10/10/2020 22:27:18:

Stuff that's so poorly designed it is horrible to use: eg electronic devices with multiple functions that are operated by just four buttons. So you have to learn sequences like press #3&4 together, whilst simultaneously rubbing your head, patting your stomach and singing the Elbonian national anthem backwards in a falsetto, just to turn on the record function.

There's no excuse for this now that small touch screens are cheap, but all the effort is then put into constantly 'improved' icons that are the visual equivalents of cryptic crossword clues.

The local Morrisons petrol station has just installed new petrol pumps. They include a pay at the pump facility. The small display says "Press the key to pay at the kiosk". Unfortunately there is nothing to tell you which key to press, so now each pump now has a pieice of tape on it with an arrow in felt marker pen pointing to the correct button.

Peter

Thread: Hydrogen-powered train makes UK maiden journey
30/09/2020 16:36:35

Why do we always have to reinvent the wheel in this country. Hydrogen powered trains have been running in Germany for some little time now, so somebody has already cracked the problem of installing all the kit in a train properly.

Thread: Turbine blades
24/09/2020 17:35:42

How about miniature Tee slots - just like real turbine blade fixings?

Peter

Thread: Vacuum Pump Advice Please!
24/09/2020 17:25:15

Dave

Are the vanes free to move in and out? They might be spring loaded or move out under centrifugal force.

Peter

Thread: Problems reading from a 3.5" floppy disc
23/09/2020 19:09:01

I seem to remember, very many years ago, buying an adaptor that fitted into a 3.5" drive and it allowed you read from one of the early style memory cards. Cost a fortune at the time.

Thread: Hello Everyone
23/09/2020 19:05:23

Welcome Darren. Most electricians seem to be very good at turning their hands to other trades.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Engineer or Model Engineers' Workshop? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Engineer & Model Engineers' Workshop

Support Our Partners
Rapid RC
cowells
Eccentric July 5 2018
Eccentric Engineering
Dreweatts
Subscription Offer

Latest "For Sale" Ads
Latest "Wanted" Ads
Get In Touch!

Do you want to contact the Model Engineer and Model Engineers' Workshop team?

You can contact us by phone, mail or email about the magazines including becoming a contributor, submitting reader's letters or making queries about articles. You can also get in touch about this website, advertising or other general issues.

Click THIS LINK for full contact details.

For subscription issues please see THIS LINK.

Digital Back Issues

Social Media online

'Like' us on Facebook
Follow us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter
 Twitter Logo

Pin us on Pinterest