By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Member postings for Oven Man

Here is a list of all the postings Oven Man has made in our forums. Click on a thread name to jump to the thread.

Thread: How Much is this Costing Me?
08/08/2022 11:17:50
Posted by John Haine on 07/08/2022 16:02:41:

The cheap Maplin power meter I have shows watts and VA.

The old Maplin power meter is a great piece of kit. Mine is unfortunately reaching the end of its life as the socket has been overheating. I have searched a lot for a similar replacement but none of the modern offerings seem to be anywhere near as good, they all seem to have the same basic guts. Does anybody know of a model that would offer the same features as the Maplin unit with the same idiot proof user interface.

Peter

Thread: You think you've seen it all
30/07/2022 22:23:36

Nothing new about this, it's the norm in India. One of the few places where there is grass is on the central reservation.

Peter

Thread: Yet another scam
18/07/2022 20:38:46

The Data Protection Act must seem like a dream come true to criminals. One government department cannot provide information to another department for fear of contravening the act. Talk about a good way to shoot yourself in the foot.

Peter

Thread: Understanding chuck test certificates
17/06/2022 11:14:47

Can I also second Hopper's suggestion. I came up with the same conclusion but couldn't think how best to describe it.

Peter

Thread: What is the best 3d printer for beginners
17/06/2022 10:57:37

I have a Sovol SV01 which is similar to the Ender 3 but has a few enhancements, the main ones being a direct drive extruder and dual z axis steppers. I've had it for about 18 months now. It has required some tweaking to get it to my satisfaction but now I am really pleased with it considering it is a budget machine. Perhaps I don't have high expectations but for me the quality of the output is really good. For simple designs I use Tinkercad, a first sight it appears extremely limited but in practice it can produce some quite complex models. It doesn't have a steep learning curve like many of the mainstream CAD packages. I wonder about peoples definition of "strong", I mainly use PLA and strength has never really been an issue with the parts I have made.

Peter

Thread: Timing Belt
14/06/2022 10:15:13

Have a look at solenttools.co.uk. They have belts for all types of machinery.

Got a belt for an obscure Wicks sander from them

Peter

Thread: Wiring and connectors
11/04/2022 17:59:05
Posted by SillyOldDuffer on 09/04/2022 11:02:26:
Posted by Mike Poole on 08/04/2022 22:50:02:

... crimping and soldering are both effective but I believe a good crimped connection is many times more reliable than soldering. ...

That's what years of industrial experience confirm.

Solder is excellent unless vibration is present. Two causes: solder temperatures tend to harden copper, making it more vulnerable to fatigue failure. The effect is tiny, but shows up when long leads are vibrated over long periods; worse, solder tends to wick between the strands of flexible copper wire, creating in stress concentrators that break the strands one by one. Again, vibration is required.

Crimping avoids both problems, plus dry-joints, and flux corrosion.

In electronics, soldered joints are the best way to fix small components to a printed circuit board. Nothing moves much even if the board is vibrated, and it's not difficult to stiffen boards with pillars and fit foam pads. However, wires often aren't soldered to plugs and sockets. It's partly because long wires tend to flap and break at the connection. Old school reduced the problem by lacing wires into bundles and clamping them to the chassis, but this isn't practical with ribbon.

As always, the need to apply best practice increases with time, volume and circumstances. A soldered joint on a classic bike kept for display rather than ridden regularly would probably last forever. Doing the same on a production run of a few hundred thousand bikes sold to hard riding customers would cause avoidable breakdowns and a reputation for poor reliability.

Dave

Absolutely Correct. Back in the 1970s we thought we were being clever crimping and then soldering connectors on rally cars. It proved to be a disaster, the crimped and soldered joints failed very quickly with the vibrations. The crimped only joints never gave any trouble.

Peter

Thread: FAULTY DRILL BITS !
18/03/2022 10:38:35
Posted by bernard towers on 18/03/2022 08:48:18:

I have had some Brazilian Dormer drills and the front end goes from ok to appalling, seems to change with sizes so perhaps its poor sharpening set up?

When Dormer moved their production from the UK to Brazil they shipped out all the production equipment. We were involved in moving some of the heat treatment facilities. I suppose as time has gone on most of the people who went out there to set it up will have been replaced by a local workforce and management. Perhaps it should not be considered the same comany these days.

Peter

Thread: Hand Hacksaw
01/03/2022 10:02:23

+1 for the tubular Eclipse frame bought in the early seventies. Mine is well battered but still performs OK.

Given the number of Eclipse blades on offer on eBay can we be sure they are all genuine? I bought a batch of "Eclipse?" blades some years ago and I have convinced myself that they could be second hand even though the paint and labelling is perfect. They cut much better at each end compared with the middle part. Is someone in China using them and then repainting them before selling them on?

Peter

Thread: Smart meter
23/01/2022 15:08:25
Posted by Clive Steer on 23/01/2022 10:29:39:

I'm not sure now who the "supplier" is. Is it the company I pay money to for my power and do they "own" the smart meter and have control over it. If I move "suppliers" do they then "own" the meter. Also if they cut me off they won't receive the benefit of my solar panel power. Maybe they'll only cut me off on cloudy days.

CS

The electricity supply company has control of the smart meter, but they don't "own" them. They are apparently leased from finance companies.

Peter

23/01/2022 09:40:40
Posted by Danny M2Z on 23/01/2022 09:07:54:

There is also this scary scenario hacking a smart meter

* danny *

What a load of rubbish. There is no way you could determine what the electricity is being used for by hacking a smart meter.

As an aside, I don't think gas meters have any facilities built in that would allow them to be turned off remotely.

Peter

21/01/2022 17:02:07

Given that we do not own the electricity or gas meters we are not really in a position to decide whether we want a smart meter or not. What's not to like about them? I've had one for a year now, granted by itself it won't save you money, but it has provided a wealth of information regarding how much energy I am giving back to the grid from by my solar panels. Based on the information I am seriously considering fitting a diverter to heat the water using the excess energy.

Peter

Thread: That Strange Calculator Again
14/01/2022 19:52:00

Despite what the video shows, the design of the "ratchet" to me indicates that the inside disc should rotate anticlockwise. There is a pin that would stop the spring moving downwards if the disc is rotated clockwise.

The fractions are interesting, in some sections they are all the same, just exxpressed differently, 1/2, 4/8, 3/6, 6/12.

Peter

Thread: Do you "still" enjoy driving?
31/12/2021 17:13:25
Posted by David Davies 8 on 31/12/2021 16:22:01:

One thing that annoys me in the hours of darkness is the increasing numbers of cars that I pass with no rear lights on but lo and behold plenty of light at front. I assume that the drivers are using daytime running lights during night time. Am I right in my assumption?

Have others noticed this and what can/should be done about it?

Cheers

Dave

One of the issues is that some cars, my own included, have the dasboard lights on all the time. In days gone by they were a good indicator that you had your lights switched on. I have to admit that I have been guilty of inadvertantly driving with no lights on because the daytime running lights seemed to provide enough illumination. There is a case for all cars having automatic headlights as standard rather than it just being an option on the top end specification of models. If you have had auto headlights and then move to a model without it, I am sure it takes time to adjust and remember to switch them on.

Peter

Thread: Skomo Tablr Saw - Brook Crompton motor wiring weirdness
23/12/2021 22:04:12
Posted by Frances IoM on 23/12/2021 19:33:15:
individual RCBOs (ie 1 per circuit) avoid problem of losing lights if all circuits in shed are fed from 1 RCD which trips - also worth making 1 light in a workshop provide emergency lighting if power removed

In our old family house the light in the pantry, where all the fuseboxes were located, was on its own separate circuit. It proved its worth many times, much better than a torch or candle when you have to rewire the fuse holder.

Peter

Thread: Anyone Else an ELSA Guinea-pig?
10/12/2021 10:06:29
Posted by Norfolk Boy on 09/12/2021 22:11:39:

Norfolk Boy, Oven Man -

With respect you are missing the point. Microsoft designed 'Word' and 'Excel' and their .doc and .xls files and made them transmissable; and Microsoft has a near monopoly. It was always possible to exchange readable and indeed edit files (unless locked by the author) provided both parties have the same MS Office programmes, even if slightly different editions.

With equal respect to you, I feel I haven't missed the point at all, I am very aware of what you are saying and was simply trying to be helpful. As a user of MS office in the current versions I could go on to challenge each of your points including the one above but it would just appear argumentative and there is enough of that around already and I have no desire to be another keyboard warrior so hopefully you wil find a way around your problems without raising your stress levels too much. I hope you find a solution that works for you.

Alan

The point I was trying to get across was that you don't have to spend money buying Microsoft Office to enable these file formats to be used.

Peter

08/12/2021 20:38:46
Posted by Norfolk Boy on 08/12/2021 18:03:27:

I realise and accept your position and yes it's frustrating. MS Office has moved on to use the DOCX and XLSX file types as the more common version these days but the user could save them in .doc or .xls to send out, or as you say pdf as a commonly readable version.

Alan

Libre Office is another free office suite that will handle the latest Microsoft Office formats Docx and Xlsx without any problem. You can open documents in these formats and even create documents.

For me this suite of programs does everything I want without needing to spend money on Micrsoft products.

Peter

Thread: EVs and the heater on a cold morning !
22/11/2021 10:58:41

Even an electric vehicle generates from the motor and from the battery, sufficient to need liquid cooling, so cabin heating on a long journey should not be a problem.

Peter

Thread: Book Your Covid Booster! Errr, How? Where?
11/11/2021 09:12:39
Posted by Dave Daniels on 11/11/2021 07:52:22:

Reading some previous posts I now feel rather pampered.

Got a text message from Surgery to book for flu and COVID Booster at Babington Hospital, Belper.

Booked online for 10:10 AM Tues.

10 min. drive, parked up at 09:55.

Bit of a queue but it was always moving.

Jab in each arm, then wait 15 mins.

Drove out at 10:20.

Home at 10:30.

Some 47 mins. door to door ... so the NHS can work

Dave

Looks like the NHS in Derbyshire have got their act together. Exactly the same experience in Chesterfield. Very satisfactory result.

Peter

Thread: SMR's a conundrum.
10/11/2021 11:15:11
Posted by Circlip on 10/11/2021 10:11:58:

Strange that RR should be given a nest egg to "Develop" a domestic power system, to echo Sam's posting, all UK new clear (NOT New que lar as many ignoramuses state) powered subs have a steam generating plant supplied by RR so it's not new technology for them.

Rolls-Royce have always said that their SMR proposal is not based on the reactors used in submarines so there is obviously going to be a fair bit of development work required. But at least they have all the basic knowledge required to built a nuclear reactor, so thats a start.

I find things like SMRs and fusion really exciting but I am getting to stage in life when I doubt I am going to be around long enough to see any of these new proposals actually come to fruition.

Peter

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Engineer or Model Engineers' Workshop? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Engineer & Model Engineers' Workshop

You can unsubscribe at anytime. View our privacy policy at www.mortons.co.uk/privacy

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
Rapid RC
Dreweatts
Eccentric July 5 2018
Eccentric Engineering
cowells
Subscription Offer

Latest "Wanted" Ads
Get In Touch!

Do you want to contact the Model Engineer and Model Engineers' Workshop team?

You can contact us by phone, mail or email about the magazines including becoming a contributor, submitting reader's letters or making queries about articles. You can also get in touch about this website, advertising or other general issues.

Click THIS LINK for full contact details.

For subscription issues please see THIS LINK.

Digital Back Issues

Social Media online

'Like' us on Facebook
Follow us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter
 Twitter Logo

Pin us on Pinterest

Donate

donate