By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Member postings for Oven Man

Here is a list of all the postings Oven Man has made in our forums. Click on a thread name to jump to the thread.

Thread: Bench grinder wheel wobble
01/05/2021 09:40:14

+1 for Mike Pooles idea of integrating the flange and the bush. It completely solved my wheel wobble problems. I now have a bench grinder that is a pleasure to use.

Peter

Thread: B&D workmate
26/04/2021 10:58:17

My Workmate was bought in the early 1970s. I thought long and hard about buying it as they were relatively expensive, about £30 I seem to remember. It was one of the best £30 I have spent, still use it regularly and would not want to be without it. Is it me or were they really better built in those days.

Peter

Thread: Danfoss Pressure Switch
16/04/2021 11:52:00

It looks like a flare fitting as used in refrigeration systems, so probably SAE 1/4".

Peter

Thread: Anti seize grease on Myford spindle nose?
08/04/2021 16:18:38
Posted by SillyOldDuffer on 08/04/2021 10:06:41:

Context is important whenever 'best practice' is taught. Often as not there isn't a correct single answer. What's best on a shop-floor might not be good enough in a tool-room, and tool-room techniques aren't appropriate in my garage workshop! The Royal Navy would be mindful of the special needs of a shipborne repair facility : ideally warships are kept at a high state of readiness, and this includes keeping a small workshop in good order ready for urgent repairs. Really bad at sea if the steering can't be fixed because a lathe wasn't kept in tip-top condition, especially whilst being shot at. Up until about 1960, ship workshops were kept busy by the relatively primitive technology of the day - full of mechanical gubbins and plain bearings etc. Since then technology has moved on so much towards replace rather than repair and electronics, that I'm not sure a 2021 frigate carries a lathe at all. Does anybody know?

Dave

I do know that both the new Royal Navy aircraft carriers are equipped with electric furnaces and ovens for metals heat treatment work so it's very likely that they have machine tools as well.

Peter

Thread: Mc Donald Model tractor
03/04/2021 09:33:35
Posted by Dominic Bramley on 31/03/2021 12:22:46:

No questions Fred - but I am certainly loving this build. Fantastic attention to detail and a fascinating array of processes being employed.

Being a helpful forum I think a lot of members save their comments for when they feel they have useful advice to offer the builder. This has the unfortunate side effect of the most accomplished builds having relatively few comments. Rest assured though, there will be an awful lot of people following this keenly!

Regards

Dom

Yes, indeed. I am in awe of the attention to detail and the quality of the workmanship. I look forward to seeing each posting.

Peter

Thread: Canon printer
03/04/2021 09:23:14

Have a look at VueScan. It has drivers for many obsolete scanners. It's free to try but you need to pay to use it without watermarks.

Peter

Thread: Electric Smart Meters
01/04/2021 21:08:14
Posted by Anthony Kendall on 01/04/2021 09:58:40:

Tongue in cheek comment - since I do not have one through no fault of my own and we are all paying, can I claim compensation? At the very least you folks should be grateful for my gift to you. winklaugh

If you have any type of gas or electricity meter(not just a smart meter) then you have to pay for it. Looks like smart meters cost about five times that of an ordinary meter and there is also a charge for the Data Communications Company (DCC) to read the meter remotely and pass the data to the electricity supplier. So yes, it looks like you might be subsidising us a bit thank you.

One benefit of having Solar panels and a smart meter is the delight in seeing the little pylon symbol on the in home display and knowing that the electricty you are using is free and some is going back ito the grid. Nice little earner for the elecricity company pay me about 4p per unit and sell it to others for about 14p per unit. Last month 64% of what we generated went back to the grid.

Peter

Thread: Component Suppliers - Recommendations?
31/03/2021 09:23:18

+1 for switchelectronics. No connection to them but I have used them quite a bit and have received excellent service.

Peter

Thread: Fake or real
25/03/2021 21:45:55

Well, the pictures are real, mine looks just like that. What you would receive if you ordered one is anybodies guess.

Peter

Thread: Power Transformer buzzing when fed via Solid State Relay-Why?
25/03/2021 21:39:53
Posted by Robert Atkinson 2 on 25/03/2021 20:56:52:

You should not use a zero crossing SSR with a highly inductive load like a transformer. Turning on at zero causes very high peak currents. See:
https://www.te.com/commerce/DocumentDelivery/DDEController?Action=srchrtrv&DocNm=13C3206_AppNote&DocType=CS&DocLang=EN

Robert G8RPI.

Edited By Robert Atkinson 2 on 25/03/2021 20:57:19

Robert is correct. We discussed this problem with our SSR supplier when I was working. They supplied us with some sample SSRs specifically for use with transformers. I think some of them ended up in my workshop. We never used them in production though. Most of the transformers we used were low voltage high current secondaries and we used phase angle control on the primary side.

Peter

Thread: Tea Spoons
23/03/2021 21:14:23
Posted by Samsaranda on 23/03/2021 20:20:28:

Would like to stress that the discolouration of the spoons in question is not tea stains and all reasonable methods have been tried for their removal, Jif, washing powder etc, the problem appears to be a metallurgical problem. Haven’t tried buffing on a wheel yet, reluctant to use any harsh or mechanical method to remove the discolouration. Hoping someone on here with metallurgy knowledge could explain the reason why they have discoloured, probably due to dodgy material specifications, it seems that a lot of industries nowadays go for the very cheapest options when manufacturing, profits are paramount. Dave W

I think Dave W is correct, the "staining" issue has little or nothing to do with tea or coffee stains. Our daily use stainless steel cutlery is over 40 years old and has gradually gone a sort of shiny black where it hs been in contact with food. It seems to be well into the metal rather than just a surface stain. Interestly the forks and spoons are much worse than the knives. These are items that never come into contact with tea or coffee. I've tried all the recomendations above over the years but reluctantly come to the conclusion that the only remedy is to get the polishing mops out and put them on the bench grinder. I've tried Basso and Silvo and they do make a bit of an impression but it's really hard work, to much effort for a full set of six. I do wonder if the dishwasher tablets might be partially to blame.

Peter

Thread: T slots
14/03/2021 10:18:25

There is a really nice design for Super 7 T slot closers on Thingiverse. It was one of the first things I made when I got my 3D printer. At first sight I thought there was a fault with the printer because it was producing a slight bump on the side. When I looked carefully at the model I discovered it was a deliberate bump to hold it in place. So the part slides in easily and the bump engages to hold it tight and stop slipping. Works brilliantly.

Peter

Thread: Water based rust inhibitor
14/03/2021 09:26:08
Posted by pgrbff on 14/03/2021 09:04:06:

In this instance the nuts and bolts will be oiled, but need to be dry first. I suppose I could give them a dip in something that will "passify" the surface first.

There is something called "dewatering oil". I have some that came with a cold black oxidising kit.

Peter

13/03/2021 17:21:21

How about central heating corrosion inhibitor?

Peter

Thread: Have You considered getting a 3D printer
26/02/2021 21:03:31
Posted by Henry Brown on 26/02/2021 19:43:00:

I can't vouch for this chaps nozzles but his bowden tubs and fittings are very good, I also have his silicone spacers for the build plate.

Link

Thanks Henry. The nozzles look a reasonable price and certainly worth considering, but I am always a little wary of seller with such a vast range of items for sale, everything from a 3D printer nozzle to a car handbreak push button. I thought at first that he was 3D printing the spare car parts but on closer inspection they look like standard injection moulded parts.

Peter

26/02/2021 19:37:07
Posted by Journeyman on 26/02/2021 13:46:07:

You could perhaps try ** E3D ** they supply the hotend for the Prusa printers. Haven't used them myself though other than to uy some of their nozzles as spares off Amazon.

John

Many thanks John. The prices look sensible, and from what I have read they appear to have a good reputation. Will give them a try.

Peter

Thread: The art of the con...
26/02/2021 16:33:38
Posted by Tony Pratt 1 on 26/02/2021 15:48:59:

What really annoys me is the lack of clear English when I get a phone call scam as happened yesterday on my mobile, they may think they are speaking clearly but usually their accent is so heavy I give up and cut them off.angrywink

Tony

I had the completely opposite experience recently when a "detective" from the "serious fraud office" rang me about someone using my credit card. The upper class English accent was really convincing and it took a couple of minutes to realise it was a scam.

Peter

Thread: Have You considered getting a 3D printer
25/02/2021 17:15:39

I've been using my Sovol SV01 for about two months now and I am generally very pleased with the results I am getting. I am presently building a thread indicator for a Myford Super 7. The top dial on it has some numbers on it and the detail is quite fine. In order to get it to print correctly it looks as if I am going to need to change the nozzle from 0.4mm to 0.2mm. I have purchased a pack of 10 0.2mm nozzles off ebay and just looking at them under a magnifying glass the quality of the actual hole does not look particularly good and is very variable across a number of them. Do the experienced 3D printer users amongst us have any recomendations on where to buy good quality nozzles. There appear to be lots of cheap no brand nozzles for sale and then there is a large price gap up to what appear to be quite high quality ones. Is it worth buying expensive nozzles to go on an entry level printer or do I take pot luck with the cheap ones. There doesn't to be anything that I would consider mid priced. I haven't actually tried the 0.2mm nozzles I have as it's quite a bit of effort to change it.

Ant thoughts would be greatfully recieved.

Peter

Thread: De Walt 240V Portable Band Saw in UK?
20/02/2021 17:16:03
Posted by Bryan Cedar 1 on 20/02/2021 13:50:16:

A posting above contains the error of spelling there instead of their. This is the third posting I have seen in a week with this error. Come on chaps do check your spelling

This lockdown really is getting to folk.

How true is Ady1's post, I had no trouble at all reading it.

Peter

Thread: Drilling
20/02/2021 17:06:02

How about a 0.3mm diameter nozzle from a 3D printer. They are inexpensive and easily come by.

Peter

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Engineer or Model Engineers' Workshop? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Engineer & Model Engineers' Workshop

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
ChesterUK
Warco
JD Metals
emcomachinetools
cowells
Eccentric July 5 2018
Eccentric Engineering
Subscription Offer

Latest "For Sale" Ads
Latest "Wanted" Ads
Get In Touch!

Do you want to contact the Model Engineer and Model Engineers' Workshop team?

You can contact us by phone, mail or email about the magazines including becoming a contributor, submitting reader's letters or making queries about articles. You can also get in touch about this website, advertising or other general issues.

Click THIS LINK for full contact details.

For subscription issues please see THIS LINK.

Digital Back Issues

Social Media online

'Like' us on Facebook
Follow us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter
 Twitter Logo

Pin us on Pinterest