By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Member postings for Oven Man

Here is a list of all the postings Oven Man has made in our forums. Click on a thread name to jump to the thread.

Thread: Hermes Parcels
07/09/2020 10:02:33
Posted by Bo'sun on 06/09/2020 16:34:54:

I'm getting the impression that Hermes have done a deal with Ebay and it's sellers. Most of my recent purchases have been delivered (more or less) by Hermes.

I think you might be correct. I have noticed a definite increase in things being delivered by Hermes et al that would have previously come by Royal Mail.

Peter

Thread: An interesting consequence of Moore’s Law
02/09/2020 10:57:26
Posted by Nicholas Farr on 02/09/2020 09:11:05:

Hi MichaelG, thy are the cards my first digital camera required, which from what i can remember, were a bit pricy then compared with todays prices. I only have three, one each of, 16MB, 64MB and 128MB the latter still has space for 16 HQ photos. The camera is a Olympus C-3020 ZOOM. A good starter digital camera but I don't use it much now, although it does still work, but the inside of the front lens has some very fine strands of fungus on it but doesn't notice on any photo and it's probably not worth what it would cost to have it cleaned.

Regards Nick.

P.S. still got the box the camera came in and on the contents list it included the 16MB card.

Edited By Nicholas Farr on 02/09/2020 09:20:14

+1 for the Olympus cameras. I still have a C5060WZ in full working order. It is a really beautifully made camera, when you pick it up it just oozes quality. Takes both multimedia style cards and compact flash. I wonder if there really is any value in these old style cards or is it just wishfull thinking by another ebayer.

Peter

Thread: By Crook or by Fluke
11/08/2020 22:05:17
Posted by Stuart Bridger on 11/08/2020 20:33:38:

Still have my trusty Fluke 77 DMM from the mid '80s

+1 for the Fluke 77, mine is still going strong after 34 years. The battery lasts for ages, I can count on one hand the number of times I have changed in it.

Peter

Thread: Conquest Mini Lathe
09/08/2020 16:48:52

Double check the actual fuse holder itself. It could have come loose and rotated as you unscrewed it. The tag on the outside could have rotated and touched something.

Peter

Thread: Diamond Lap for sharpening Brazed TC tools
06/08/2020 12:20:34

Another yea sayer here. I've had a suitable motor sitting on the shelf waiting for just something like this. A trip to see the tool man on Chesterfield flea market next Thursday should supply the lapping disc, he does lots of toolzone stuff.

Peter

Thread: Hearth material
27/07/2020 17:46:28
Posted by Phil McAvity on 27/07/2020 11:06:56:
Posted by Oven Man on 27/07/2020 10:44:54:

I wonder if we have to import all the pulverised fuel ash (PFA) used to make Celcon blocks now we have closed all the coal fired power stations down. Good example of the law of unintended consequences. Same goes for all the Gypsum we used to make as a by product from desulphurisation plants on coal fired power stations.

Peter

Do you mean clinker blocks?

Celcon use aerated concrete to produce their lightweight blocks.

We still use FGD gypsum from power stations in the UK because of it's quality, the plasterboard companies buy the exclusive rights to claim it for production. They also invest in 'used' recycled gypsum which has already been through the building cycle.

Edited By Phil McAvity on 27/07/2020 11:28:13

Phil

No not clinker blocks, the much finer grained aerated blocks. The blocks are made from cement, lime, sand, pulverised fuel ash (PFA) and water. PFA is mixed with sand and water to form a slurry. This is then heated before being mixed with cement, lime and a small amount of aluminium sulphate powder. The aluminium reacts with the lime to form bubbles of hydrogen.

Peter

27/07/2020 10:44:54

I wonder if we have to import all the pulverised fuel ash (PFA) used to make Celcon blocks now we have closed all the coal fired power stations down. Good example of the law of unintended consequences. Same goes for all the Gypsum we used to make as a by product from desulphurisation plants on coal fired power stations.

Peter

Thread: QC Toolpost
25/07/2020 10:43:47
Posted by Tony Pratt 1 on 25/07/2020 10:38:42:

Phil H, Yes I totally agree with your comment '80 to 90% ok at half the price or cheaper but every single Chinese thing I have bought needs 'work''. I like most people buy Chinese stuff.

Tony

This is so true. It does seem to me that the Chinese are better at electronics engineering rather than mechanical engineering. Nearly all the assembled printed circuit boards I have purchased from China have been spot on but the mechanical bits do seem to require that extra bit of work. I actually quite enjoy stripping kit down and cleaning it and modifying it to my own satisfaction.

Peter

Thread: Induction Hob problem
23/07/2020 10:35:58

My vote is for Oldiron!

Peter

Thread: How to stop scam phone calls for good?
21/07/2020 17:27:46

Ian

+1 for Tuecall. We have the stand alone Truecall unit and it has certainly proved its worth. For a small annual sum you can access it via the internet which means you could control it from your home without having to visit. You can set star callers who come through automatically and zap callers you definitely don't want. All the others have to give a name or number. The odd one gets through but it certainly blocks the majority.

Peter

Thread: Bench grinder wheel wobble
20/07/2020 22:40:25
Posted by Andy Shepherdson on 20/07/2020 20:20:00:

My old 6” Aldi special is a different story. I fancy putting a CBN and diamond wheel on it. The supplied washers seem part of the problem, has anyone managed to method to get the wheels to run true.

Andy

I am in the same boat with a Lidl 6" grinder/linisher. The original wheel is not perfect but at least is usable. I bought a high quality fine grit grinding wheel, and no matter what I try the assembly is so out of balance that I dare not attempt to use it. The wheel itself appears to be OK when checking its static balance. As Andy says the washers may be part of the problem but from the crude measurements I have made I suspect that the shaft may be bent. I have reached the stage now with it that I am going to replace the grinding wheel with a wire brush and upgrade to a better quality bench grinder.

Peter

Thread: Science Museum needs help identifying mystery objects
20/07/2020 09:53:48

I've still got a Hobbies treadle fretsaw and it is in full working order. Does not appear to have any financial value. I don't think I have used it the last 50 odd years. It was a Christmas present when I was a youngster. It's strange when you see items you own are now classed as museum pieces.

Peter

Thread: Basic Electrics
16/07/2020 11:51:58
Posted by Nick Clarke 3 on 16/07/2020 09:47:25:
Posted by derek hall 1 on 16/07/2020 07:34:51:

I am pretty sure that if you need to cut off the factory fitted moulded plug from a domestic appliance for any reason and fit a replacement plug you can invalidate any warranty .....

But I stand to be corrected

Regards to all

The safety officer at one on Englands large universities wouldn't have a moulded plug on site. They were all immediately cut off and rewirable ones fitted.

We trained our reps at work how to fit a 13 amp plug and provided them with a cerificate to show they were competent. It was always interesting to see the reaction of a customers safety officer when they queried if our guy was allowed to fit a plug on the equipment he was delivering. Never had any problems once the certificate was presented.

Peter

Thread: Is Iron / Steel endlessly recyclable ?
15/07/2020 16:22:48
Posted by William Chitham on 15/07/2020 15:24:29:
Posted by Roderick Jenkins on 15/07/2020 15:00:48:

Most steel is made by blending a mixture of scrap and iron from a blast furnace. I empty my workshop scrap bin into the metal skip at my local recycling cente.

Rod

Does it matter if you mix up ferrous and aluminium?

At work and at the local recycling centre there are separate bins for ferrous and non ferrous scrap. There is a huge different in even the scrap value. You are unlikely to recover the cost of the petrol taking steel to a scrap merchant, but other materials can certainly raise enough money for a good night out. Don't think aluminium is very high but lead and copper certainly are.

Peter

Thread: is it a flycutter ?
15/07/2020 15:57:58

Does the screw also lock the drillbit?

Peter

Thread: New Toy
15/07/2020 10:33:50
Posted by Ady1 on 14/07/2020 22:54:57:

Now be honest

You were going to get it anyway 'cos it's fab

You will not regret it. Best thing you can do to upgrade a mill. I got the Z axis option when I upgraded mine, not quite sure how useful it it is as I generally use the built in quill DRO but the X and Y are absolutely fabulous.

Peter

Thread: Selling on behalf of executors in 1975
12/07/2020 20:24:26
Posted by Samsaranda on 12/07/2020 12:04:49:

The ad lists a “monodex sheet metal cutter” how many readers remember or owned one of these, it was a very crude shearing device which was extraordinarily hard on your hands to use, I had one and during a recent workshop reorganisation I came across it, surprising how many gimmicky tools there were on the market then.
Dave W

I've still got one of these. Haven't used it for years but it has had a lot of use in times gone by.

Peter

12/07/2020 20:08:51

Thanks Ady 1 for this. It makes you wonder how they did it for that price even in those days.

Peter

12/07/2020 10:14:35

Does anybody know how much a basic Myford Super 7 would have cost in 1959?

Peter

Thread: LED GLS bulbs
08/07/2020 10:13:40

I have always been quite skeptical when people have mentioned switches as being responsible for problems, mainly because the usually come from people with little or no electrical knowledge. However after following this thread and reading the various sensible theories I can now see how they could potentially be a problem. It really is amazing the depth of knowledge on this forum, thank you very much. Just off down the Screwfix to pick up some MK switches. MK has always been my go to make since my electrical apprentiship days.

Peter

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Engineer or Model Engineers' Workshop? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Engineer & Model Engineers' Workshop

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
emcomachinetools
Warco
cowells
EngineDIY
Eccentric July 5 2018
ChesterUK
Eccentric Engineering
Subscription Offer

Latest "For Sale" Ads
Latest "Wanted" Ads
Get In Touch!

Do you want to contact the Model Engineer and Model Engineers' Workshop team?

You can contact us by phone, mail or email about the magazines including becoming a contributor, submitting reader's letters or making queries about articles. You can also get in touch about this website, advertising or other general issues.

Click THIS LINK for full contact details.

For subscription issues please see THIS LINK.

Digital Back Issues

Social Media online

'Like' us on Facebook
Follow us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter
 Twitter Logo

Pin us on Pinterest