By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Member postings for Lainchy

Here is a list of all the postings Lainchy has made in our forums. Click on a thread name to jump to the thread.

Thread: S50 cylinder issue?
11/11/2019 08:16:24

It took a few goes John lol! I've been busy doing the valve chest/rod and gland over the weekend. Chipping away at it slowly

Thread: S50 valve chest cover is chilled
10/11/2019 18:47:54

Thanks chaps. I will bear all the above in mind for the future. Email has been sent to Stuart... see what they say tomorrow.

In the mean time, I've been able to carry on with the valve rod and gland nut. Just a bit disappointed when one part gives me trouble though. I started to clean up the front, but it needs 0.5mm at least from both sides.Looking at the side of the casting, the shiny iron is perhaps 1mm deep on the back face.

20191109_223758.jpg

09/11/2019 22:35:06

Cheers Baz. Will try that.

09/11/2019 21:46:06

Hi all,

I've machined the valve chest on the S50 today, which went really well, but when machining the cover, I've totalled the HSS endmill. I've only just touched off the edges of the cover because its SO close the finished dimension, but the casting is rock hard.

Ended up with emery cloth round a flat file. I have to machine the back flat though.

Do I struggle on? What are my options please... this is my first kit. I've read about annealing the iron, but I only have a plumbers type blow torch.

Many thanks

Ian

Thread: S50 cylinder issue?
07/11/2019 10:10:38

Cheers Jason.

I mailed Stuart this morning first thing, and they're gonna send me a new casting... really quick reply too! Well impressed with the customer service!

Point taken RE the sand though, as it does look fairly full still.

07/11/2019 08:51:09

Just started to machine my S50 cylinder... so far so good, but... while boring I've discovered a small blow hole.

Worth worrying about or just carry on?

Ta

Thread: Tools for Super 7
05/11/2019 15:18:47

My experience (albeit very little as a noob) is the insert tools are great for roughing out, but for finishing and fine cuts, a nice sharp, well ground HSS tool bit is miles better.

Thread: 5BA / M3 - Interchangability
04/11/2019 11:39:35

I think I found the same Pete.

I'd be looking for 1/4" ideally. I might know someone who has some, as he has a huge stock of BA fasteners... I haven't spoken to him yet though. Thanks Old Al. I think I'll only need a couple. I'll give you a shout if needs

04/11/2019 10:54:41

Ah yes, socket head indeed! Thanks Roy.

Thanks Oldiron too... I guess I could try that in some scrap. Will keep my eyes open in the mean time. It's a long way off completion anyway... only got the crank web, flywheel and base more or less done so far.

Regards

Ian

04/11/2019 10:30:27

Quick question regarding 5BA if I may...

I've got my Stuart S50 build on the go, and I've done the flywheel, only to find that the grub screw they provide is slot headed.

I thought, that's OK, I'll order some hex head 5BA grubs, but sadly it seems that they are like hens teeth for some reason.

Can I run an M3 tap down the inside of the 5BA thread to convert or should I just stick to the 5BA slot heads?

Ta

Ian

Thread: Additives to kerosene for degreasing?
30/10/2019 16:36:14

I've just helped degrease a 180Gal victorian sewage pump at Claymills.... we just used white spirit. That's dirt cheap and works well.

Thread: First foray into 3D printing
28/10/2019 22:02:24

Welcome to the dark side It's very addictive!

I used mine to make patterns too, to make slide on / slide off cylinder cladding... a former if you will, to assemble strips of Sapele. A Kilo of PLA+ last ages!

Thread: portable LED floodlight , power source ?
24/10/2019 22:32:24

Those are 18650 cells. eBay job, but buy the best ones you can. Should be an easy repair

Thread: ROTATING PHOTOS
22/10/2019 11:36:57

Cheers Neil. Most of mine I take on the phone, then upload. But will try and do this.

Thread: MIDLANDS MODEL ENGINEERING EXHIBITION
22/10/2019 09:34:31

I did wonder about steam versions. I did think about Recurve Bow cases, but they seem to be plastic now. I'm sure when I had mine, it was alloy.

Found this though... maybe of use? **LINK**

Thread: ROTATING PHOTOS
22/10/2019 09:21:36

I seem to recall seeing something about this recently... did we get anywhere Neil? I just uploaded some pics to my album and they're all to cock

Thread: MIDLANDS MODEL ENGINEERING EXHIBITION
22/10/2019 09:09:31

I'm not a model railway layout enthusiast but was blown away with how they model "T gauge". That's some seriously small stuff!

21/10/2019 08:31:08

Well, I attended on Sunday... and enjoyed it as usual. It would have been nice to see Arc there, Reeves, and Warco... but I do know the costs for transportation and staffing etc etc... so I get that. To be honest, I'd just order the bits that I'd like online anyway, and with good prices and free postage from some suppliers, that really isn't an issue. It's a great show anyway. I don't worry about the fact certain businesses aren't there, but yes... it would be nice.

What does annoy me is the fact that I go there with a list, see some bargain eclipse hack saw blades that were not on my list, and because I can't remember stuff, I now have 15 spare blades that will probably see me out at the rate I use them :D lol

19/10/2019 22:09:54

Where do I fit as a 49'er? I am looking to spend a little on tooling tomorrow, although, with the help of RDG, ARC, Tracy, Warco, Chester, and the chinese via eBay... I am mostly set up.

Looking forward to it too.

It'll be too long before next year comes

Thread: Afternoon All
14/10/2019 09:57:22

Hi Ketan.

That's great info! Certainly to a beginner like me. To be perfectly honest, my choice when I need to change would be the SC4 from Arc... on cost and spares (after a friend bought a 2nd hand SC3 and I got to see the spares).

It's a shame that Axminster are the only place that seems to do the short courses, but having hands on an SC4 (rebadged or not) was certainly an eye opener.

Thanks for the info though

Ian

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Engineer or Model Engineers' Workshop? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Engineer & Model Engineers' Workshop

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
Eccentric July 5 2018
Meridienne; London MES
Ausee.com.au
TRANSWAVE Converters
cowbells
ChesterUK
Warco
Eccentric Engineering
Allendale Electronics
emcomachinetools
Subscription Offer

Latest "For Sale" Ads
Latest "Wanted" Ads
Get In Touch!

Do you want to contact the Model Engineer and Model Engineers' Workshop team?

You can contact us by phone, mail or email about the magazines including becoming a contributor, submitting reader's letters or making queries about articles. You can also get in touch about this website, advertising or other general issues.

Click THIS LINK for full contact details.

For subscription issues please see THIS LINK.

Digital Back Issues

Social Media online

'Like' us on Facebook
Follow us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter
 Twitter Logo

Pin us on Pinterest