By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Member postings for Lainchy

Here is a list of all the postings Lainchy has made in our forums. Click on a thread name to jump to the thread.

Thread: Steel stock for newbie ???
10/09/2020 20:52:30

I'm a relative neewbie Ian, but have made a start on Juliet II.

I bought my small lathe last year, about this time and I made a big mistake buying from a local steel stockholder.

What I tend to do now, is buy from Kennions... usually in 1ft sections. I would suggest, as many others will follow no doubt, but I would suggest some EN1 leaded, in 1", 1/2" and 1/4", and some flat bar, maybe 3/32, 1/8, 1/4 etc. Try a piece of EN8 too (about £1.60 per foot? maybe), which is of course harder than the leaded en1. The flat bar will likely be EN3.

£20 will buy you a nice selection. Their prices are very reasonable. I found that buying off eBay was a bit of a mine field too, and everything was plus postage. Kennions prices are very reasonable, and P&P can be done in one go.

Enjoy

Edited By Lainchy on 10/09/2020 20:53:05

Thread: Opions sought on using the USB Photo Stick for photo storage
30/07/2020 14:33:58

Definitely a RAID task that... and ideally for that, you need a RAID card or support.

Also, yes, it will get your system back up quick, but really you're replicating all the OS too, and it's faults, if any should exist.

I always recommend backing up your data only, possibly with Microsoft Sync toy if on windows, and restoring the OS via fresh install. Keep copies of your software though!

Thread: Silly issue with HBM parting blade
20/07/2020 11:46:35

I'd say try it with the blade the other way for sure. I have another type of parting blade holder though, and both 1/16th and 3/32nd blades. The 1/16th blade always leaves a convex end to the chucked stock. The 3/32nd is much better.

Thread: What filament material do you use on your 3D printer?
26/06/2020 21:23:37

+1 for the Sunlu PLA+

I print at 215 deg, and 55 deg bed. Great stuff it really is.

Thread: Useful Tapping Drill feature
24/06/2020 14:58:09

Just checked mine and it's a metric edition... copyright 2027??? eh? No ME sizes though.

Thread: Homemade cutting fluid
16/06/2020 11:05:43

...noooo, that's Angel's "share" Personally, I won't share mine though

Thread: Off cuts ?
16/06/2020 08:46:53

Just spotted this on Kennions site...

Budget Packs

Looks very reasonable

Thread: Assembling laser cut cabs
04/06/2020 13:25:38

Thanks Phil. Sounds like fun ! I believe the sheets will be 0.9mm half hard cz108. Juliet calls for 16 or 20g sheet, I think the 0.9 is 20G. Hmmmmm. I beginning to think hearth and some weight... and letting it warm gently. AND, plenty of test pieces

Ian

04/06/2020 12:28:31

Cheers Brian. I doubt I'll be doing any welding on the cabs of my little 3.5 Juliet

So, the suggestion of brass angle? and soft solder? I will need the rivets of course as Neil has stated above. Heating with a torch? Will electrical solder do the job or am I using plumbers type and a separate flux... bearing in mind that this is a small cab.

Ta

04/06/2020 11:14:27

Cheers Neil.

So, You riveted the panels together, then did you soft solder?

Apparently, the Model Engineers Laser panels have tabs to aid the assembly. Not got mine yet, but does this mean that they should be soldered while being butted together? This is a whole new world to me as a beginner, but I'm trying to do as much research as I can.

Ta

04/06/2020 10:55:40

Hi forum,

I'm looking for info regarding the assembly of laser cut cabs and tanks... rivetting, soft soldering etc. Any hints? Any youtube clips etc?

I 'm looking for the best way of doing it as we have a RobRoy that will need doing soon, and indeed... eventually, my Juliet build.

I've had a look with a search, but can't find the right search string!

Many thanks

Ian

Thread: Are there any published Torque settings for BA
01/06/2020 15:49:32

I just nipped them up with a small spanner Mike, don't go barmy though.

Thread: A polite question - from a beginner :) Drilling a NONE wandering hole
29/05/2020 15:04:15

NDIY, Yep, seen it this morning, and very impressive! He did start it with a centre drill (but lets not go there)

Using centre drill, reamer, boring bar, and of course the drill. Very very accurate.

Thread: Convex buffer face
29/05/2020 12:51:02

I love this forum for tips! Found this under a search. I have to do the same on my Juliet, albeit that it doesn't quote a radius. Looking forward to having a go though now

Thanks ME

Thread: Stuart S50 (Want to cry)
28/05/2020 08:56:42

That's good to hear Michael. I too had issues with the cylinder, but as you say.. Stuarts are pretty good. I wasn't happy with my machining on the 2nd, so ordered a third. All finished now and it looks great.

Thread: Macro-photography
27/05/2020 07:10:14

I took this one in 2016 via Konus microscope and a phone. Looks almost sci-fi/steampunk. I think it was a mozzi. Too long ago now.20160216_200939_hdr.jpg

22/05/2020 16:42:49

Thanks for all of the info guys, and suggestions. With these in mind, I did some googling and found a very useful video which confirms a lot of the theory here, and certainly I have more understanding and confidence to have another go over the weekend.

https://youtu.be/Ot8wPGQW3JI

Hope this is OK to post.

Thread: Stuart 10V Build Log - Complete Beginner...
21/05/2020 21:43:11

Following this, and making great job of it. I found Andrew Whales youtube build very useful for my S50, and I know he's done one for the 10v too. He's also a forum member. I know he had some pitfalls with the column and crosshead guide.... but it's well worth watching.

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLxJNoWSqCTFjyUJIklaYuWL0lgTXlq-Pb

21/05/2020 20:22:59

Great reading from all! Many thanks for the suggestions....I have a 3mmspot drill on order, and will also follow other suggestions. And may even make the drill sharpener too.

Many thanks guys

21/05/2020 16:18:15

Perhaps it's not the right terminology Roy, but it definitely doesn't stay on centre anyway.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Engineer or Model Engineers' Workshop? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Engineer & Model Engineers' Workshop

Support Our Partners
Eccentric July 5 2018
Warco
ChesterUK
cowells
EngineDIY
emcomachinetools
Eccentric Engineering
Subscription Offer

Latest "For Sale" Ads
Latest "Wanted" Ads
Get In Touch!

Do you want to contact the Model Engineer and Model Engineers' Workshop team?

You can contact us by phone, mail or email about the magazines including becoming a contributor, submitting reader's letters or making queries about articles. You can also get in touch about this website, advertising or other general issues.

Click THIS LINK for full contact details.

For subscription issues please see THIS LINK.

Digital Back Issues

Social Media online

'Like' us on Facebook
Follow us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter
 Twitter Logo

Pin us on Pinterest