By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Member postings for Lainchy

Here is a list of all the postings Lainchy has made in our forums. Click on a thread name to jump to the thread.

Thread: Rip-Off? Don't judge by web domains.
16/09/2019 21:04:24

I must admit, I do like these clock kits. I'm not into the electronics side, more the soldering and assembly. They are great fun to build, and out of 4, from differing suppliers, I've had one bad one.

https://ebay.us/aM9wjD

They are available from banggood too.

Oh, and a cheap USB power plug from poundland drives them just fine

Edited By Lainchy on 16/09/2019 21:05:02

Edited By Lainchy on 16/09/2019 21:05:12

Thread: TCT show at the NEC 24-26 September
13/09/2019 07:10:36

+1 for this show. Well worth a visit.

Thread: THIN cutting oil - Suds alternative?
12/09/2019 11:07:16

...thanks also Nicholas and John. (I was replying and I've just seen your posts)

12/09/2019 11:04:07

Cheers David.

I do have some Metacut CF that I do use for steel. I should have tried it on Aluminium I guess, but I did think it was more cutting, not coolant for drilling. I wonder if I could just thin it a bit with paraffin or white spirit for spraying in behind a drill bit?

The GT85 is from my bike shed also

12/09/2019 10:32:45

Cheers Brian

12/09/2019 10:06:49

Thanks Andrew,

Wear was mentioned in one of the threads on here... not sure of the date / forum, but it definitely mentioned wear. I thought exactly the same tbh. Maybe not cleaning the wipers? Not sure.

If I used soluble, it would be in a hand spray I think.

12/09/2019 09:58:55

Thanks David. I do have slideway oil. I take it you use soluble then?

Thread: V-Twin 100cc Design & Build
12/09/2019 09:54:11

Just spotted this thread, and it's superb! Nice work! I'm a noob myself (Far MORE of a noob than you! Far far behind lol)

I did try a milling cutter in my B16 chuck, and found that it pushed it off the B16 taper (maybe I just hadn't pushed it home enough)

Cracking work though!

Thread: THIN cutting oil - Suds alternative?
12/09/2019 09:39:56

Hi Forum

On my 2 day Axminster small lathe engineering course, we used soluble oil to assist drilling. I did ask about rust issues after use, but this didn't seem and issue, with the application of WD40 after a wipe down.

Now, I'm looking into this currently, to use with my even smaller Chester DB7 lathe, and yes, I'm concerned about staining / rust / wear.

I've searched the forums, and found solid answer, each preferring their own solution. I guess I'm looking for a neat, thin, coolant that doesn't cause any of the fore mentioned pitfalls.

I know WD40 isn't a lubricant, but what about GT85? That IS supposed to be a lubricant. Is there a product that anyone recommends that can be used as a coolant / cutting spray that can assist drilling (since that's what we used it for on the course)

Ta

Thread: Is there a type of Sellotape/"sticky-backed-plastic" that forms a PERMANENT bond
10/09/2019 15:38:01

Just out of interest John, Have you looked at Tenacious tape? It's usually used for tent / inflatable repair.

I'd be interested in seeing what model you are looking at hinging

Ian

Thread: Warco lathe mill attachment
09/09/2019 10:13:33

That looks VERY much like my WM14 milling machine from Warco, but just without the table. How much is it out of interest?

Thread: Help choosing a Chinese lathe please
04/09/2019 08:41:10

There are bargains to be had Neil... keep yer eye's peeled I picked up my 2 year old Chester DB7vs (Same as the WM180), with a metal Chester stand and tooling for £650. This was from Gumtree (albeit a 300 mile round trip to fetch it - with a friend)

Take your time as best you can - eBay, Gumtree and facebook for sale groups, ask questions, and don't jump straight at something. Take the usual care with sending funds.

I doubt you'll need to cut left hand threads, but be aware that a few of the mini lathes don't do this without modification.

Good luck

Thread: Stripped the drive belt on my Chinese Mini lathe
02/09/2019 10:32:53
Posted by SillyOldDuffer on 02/09/2019 09:45:44:

Another possibility is the suitability of the metal you're turning. I started practising on odd bits of scrap which turned out to be a bad mistake because a lot of scrap metal doesn't machine well. Apart from Brass, DIY store metal is horrible too. Better to get a machinable Aluminium Alloy, Brass or Leaded Mild-steel of known

VERY true. I bought some offcuts from my local steel stockholders... bad move. If you want some bits to play with, I suggest eBay... selection of EN1a / Brass / Aluminium of varying sizes... perhaps 10, 15, 20, and 25mm round. If you get it all from one supplier, you may find the postage is OK. You don't have to get it all at once either, and the bits you don't use can go in a box of bar stock. That's how I've done it anyway. I think I paid £7.50 for the last piece of 25mm En1 - 300mm long. Maybe to avoid too much expense, start with 15mm brass, and a piece of 15mm En1a. That should give you a good start maybe.

Enjoy

Thread: Mains power supply for 12v dc motor
30/08/2019 22:17:18

PC power supply. Cheap. Google PSU from atx power supply. It's an easy job

Thread: M4 x 0.75mm pitch CSk machine screws
23/08/2019 09:34:28

Drop CW Fasteners a question. They stock all manner of fastenings.... **LINK**

Thread: Butterley Gangroad - Historic Railroad
18/08/2019 21:21:45

https://youtu.be/HJgKldFbXSw

Indeed...someone has modelled it! but not in steam that I can find.

18/08/2019 21:17:20

...called "Bruntons Mechanical Traveller"

18/08/2019 21:15:58

Just had a video popup in my YouTube subscription list by a guy called Martin Zero.It's all about The Butterley Gangroad and other hidden Derbyshire tunnels and railways dating back from the 1790's.

Whats really interesting (to me) is the "mechanical horse" Featured about 13min 40 seconds. I wonder if anyone has tried to model it?

**LINK**

Really interesting amateur historical video. Certainly better than the drivel on TV

Thread: A simple oscillating steam engine
17/08/2019 19:14:27

Well...short of a bit more polishing...a gasket...and a spring instead of a bit of silicon hose.... it's done First project complete.

20190817_184004.jpg

16/08/2019 21:42:37

img-20190816-wa0008.jpegGetting there. Drilled the cylinder cap and threaded the cylinder this evening. Need to drill the bearing next. Base is made too, and 3 coats of varnish. Bit overkill really, but all good fun, and teaching me loads.

20190816_202759.jpg

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Engineer or Model Engineers' Workshop? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Engineer & Model Engineers' Workshop

Support Our Partners
ChesterUK
Warco
Eccentric July 5 2018
Ausee.com.au
TRANSWAVE Converters
Advertise With Us
Meridienne oct 2019
Eccentric Engineering
Allendale Electronics
emcomachinetools
Subscription Offer

Latest "For Sale" Ads
Latest "Wanted" Ads
Get In Touch!

Do you want to contact the Model Engineer and Model Engineers' Workshop team?

You can contact us by phone, mail or email about the magazines including becoming a contributor, submitting reader's letters or making queries about articles. You can also get in touch about this website, advertising or other general issues.

Click THIS LINK for full contact details.

For subscription issues please see THIS LINK.

Digital Back Issues

Social Media online

'Like' us on Facebook
Follow us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter
 Twitter Logo

Pin us on Pinterest