By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Member postings for William Chitham

Here is a list of all the postings William Chitham has made in our forums. Click on a thread name to jump to the thread.

Thread: Cast Iron For Boxford Change Gears?
24/05/2019 17:11:40

Thanks for all the replies, all very helpful, the gears are to do imperial on a metric leadscrew Boxford CUD. I do have one of the 54/64 gears from that ebay seller, works ok and nice guy but I have become somewhat obsessed with the whole business of gear trains and am determined to make my own 135/127. I have been using NthreadP to test different combinations and 127/135 it has to be. Aluminium looks nice but v expensive, Delrin looks good for first attempt, I can get enough for three or four blanks for the price of two in cast iron. Still a long way from cutting though as I haven't decided how to do the indexing yet, CNC, or some kind of home brew mechanical. How did you do yours Micky?

William.

Thread: Oxy hydrogen torches
24/05/2019 16:51:31

In the US a lot of bicycle builders are using oxy propane for brass and silver brazing using old medical oxygen concentrators. A lot cheaper in the long run than cylinders and safer too. You can find them on ebay occasionally or Tufnells Glass do new & recon units: http://www.tuffnellglass.com/contents/en-uk/p66_oxygen_concentrator.html.

Thread: Cast Iron For Boxford Change Gears?
21/05/2019 12:15:16

I have set myself the task of making a 127/135 compound gear for my Boxford and am considering material selection. I think the existing change gears are cast iron and I have been advised that SG(GGG40) would be suitable. Two questions before I order: can anyone suggest a more economical alternative (some grade of steel plate maybe?) and if it is to be SG what are my chances of getting two 3/8" thick gears out of 1" of round given that I don't have a bandsaw or powered hacksaw?

Thanks, William.

Thread: Bought a Boxford...
28/04/2019 17:09:09
Posted by Speedy Builder5 on 28/04/2019 12:21:29:

For an entry level lathe, this looks like its worth a punt. Still lots to spend on chucks etc and little possibility of converting to a screwcutting lathe, but cheap.

**LINK**

Cheap yes but after a year of messing with my Boxford CUD not one I would recommend to a beginner. Being able to cut screw threads was an absolute revelation to me, indeed I now regret not spending a bit more for a gearbox equipped lathe with power feed both ways. Boxfords can be upgraded but the parts are exorbitantly expensive, I have fitted a model B apron to mine but a Mod A gearbox is way beyond my pocket.

William.

24/04/2019 13:16:15

Morning all, I've come to metal late; I've been making things out of wood, plastic, clay, anything but metal really since early childhood but have finally seen the light. Bicycles were what got me going, I've modified several and am now near to finishing a frame frome scratch - lugged steel, brazed together. I bought a Boxford a year ago and have made various small parts for bikes with it but now I'm engrossed in the process of making new parts and gadgets for the lathe. Once I get that out of my system I'm thinking I'd like to build something steam powered, hopefully an improvement on the Mamod engines I used to burn myself with as a child.

William Chitham.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Engineer or Model Engineers' Workshop? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Engineer & Model Engineers' Workshop

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
rapid Direct
Warco
Eccentric July 5 2018
cowells
walker midge
JD Metals
emcomachinetools
Eccentric Engineering
Subscription Offer

Latest "For Sale" Ads
Latest "Wanted" Ads
Get In Touch!

Do you want to contact the Model Engineer and Model Engineers' Workshop team?

You can contact us by phone, mail or email about the magazines including becoming a contributor, submitting reader's letters or making queries about articles. You can also get in touch about this website, advertising or other general issues.

Click THIS LINK for full contact details.

For subscription issues please see THIS LINK.

Digital Back Issues

Social Media online

'Like' us on Facebook
Follow us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter
 Twitter Logo

Pin us on Pinterest