By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Member postings for LG

Here is a list of all the postings LG has made in our forums. Click on a thread name to jump to the thread.

Thread: WEG CFW100 power inverter
15/11/2021 16:37:51

Thanks men for your informed responses to my query.

The major step forward was discovering the "QuickStart" guide which condensed the user manuals into a dozen pages with idiot-proof advice.

You have collectively reassured me that I can successfully implement my scheme. There's even a diagram shown for an on/off and speed up/down box.

Confidence is all with a project like this.

Best regards, Les Rix

13/11/2021 17:13:18

Hi All,

Wonder if anybody is using a CFW100 1 h.p. 3 phase power inverter ?

Just bought one from Inverter Drive Supermarket to run a 1 h.p. 1450 rpm motor on my Dore-Westbury mill. The idea is to run the motor at 2/3 to 4/3 rated speed etc. to give a good speed variation on the basic 3 speed plus back-gear on the basic machine. I believe the speed variation will be possible using an accessory small potentiometer panel that I also bought.. Also interested in low-speed setting e.g. 15% of rated value.

I have downloaded the instruction manuals from IDS website but they are giving me a headache 8(

Any suggestions on practical setting and use of this scheme gratefully received.

p.s. Guy Fawkes was last week!

TIA, Les

Thread: Clive Sinclar
17/09/2021 17:32:02
Posted by Speedy Builder5 on 17/09/2021 12:53:17:

I believe he had an off shoot company called Cambridge Scientific who developed and sold a micro computer £40 , which had a 7 segment display and was programmed in machine code. It had 256 bytes of programmable ROM (seems inconceivably small these days) and ran tri state logic (High, quasi zero and Low) on the 6502 chip ? That was before the Acorns and ZX 80 etc. The attached shows a development model with production units with a membrane keyboard, smaller memory and more compact.

MK14 Micro

ISTR that he ran a back-bedroom company " Technical Supplies Ltd." which maybe started his commercial ascent.

They sold cellophane wrapped micro-alloy transistors (bullet shaped goldies with a radial seam about 1/3 rd the way along the metal body) designated MAT101 and MAT102 through corner-shop radio stores.

These were allegedly retested floor-sweepings from Plessey. I spent many shillings and hours failing to get them working. CS wrote a couple of books for Bernard Babani using them for micro radios - I should meanwhile have been swotting for A-levels.

Happy days segueing into Acorn, Nascom computers etc.

Regards, Les

Thread: disappearing forum archives
28/02/2021 18:52:14

For some years I have been relying on a forum thread on the above descriptor about half-tooth change wheels etc. This thread was advised to me by a mystery email in 2019.

Identity

**LINK**

May have been alerted to this by a moderator ??

Anyway with talk of new forum software I am fearful that this thread may imminently disappear. Any suggestions on preserving this for future access. Online preferably. I have an aversion to printing out miles of paper..

TIA for any advice. Regards, Les

Thread: (Early) Myford Super 7 Adjusting Collar
19/11/2020 19:24:20

Hi Johnathan,

The ridiculously high price quoted for the collar is a scheme denoting item out of stock. Relaxes to a more legitimate cost when stock is restored.

Regards, Les

Thread: Weight of Dore Westbury mill/drill
30/10/2020 17:55:56

Hi guys,

Having just wrestled with my D-W mill I had to resort to splitting the head/motor and table/base lumps. It seemed heavier than my Myford S7, but memory of traumas soon fades.

Since it was a struggle for self and son I am interested in having some idea of the dead weight of the unit. I have scoured the interweb but nowhere is weight detailed; I have the full building manual but no joy there.

The mill is now sitting on the end of a Clarke/MM sheet-iron bench having bowed an MDF desk. Some years ago it sat quite happily on a Warco mini bench with thin-gauge dexion legs so now hoping for a stable installation.

I know this isn't in the league of the wondrous feats described by other machine movers but I am disappointed that the passage of time has removed me from the days when I would switch car engines in a trice.

Regards, Les

Thread: Experimental Vibration Analysis of a WM280 Lathe
01/06/2020 19:28:07

Dave, (SOD)

I have an Instrustar IS205A usb, datalogger scope and spectrum analyser which does a fair job on frequency analysis but no way can I get a printout. Current cost is about £65 from China via ebay.

Also have a Hantek 6022BE similar usb scope but not sure it does FFT; cost around £40. Best to search both on ebay for full specs.

Sorry I didn't get back to you on PM re. vibration lathe analysis but I just bought a Raspberry PI and I think I have fried my brain. What the learning curve is I daren't guess. Over the years I opted away from an electronics career to be a noise and vibration consultant - my workshop is testament to the deep allure of swarf and oil.

Basically for a manual lathe f(0) is mandrel rpm dictated by balance quality riding on background slush (noise) generated by lubicant swirl and sundry resonances plus motor speed and electrical noise. All other frequency peaks relate to gear meshes and bearing noise don't forget beat frequencies including relative speeds and rolling element speeds. Hewlett Packard used to do a handy booklet on this.

Hope this helps, Les

Thread: Oscilloscope kits - any recommendations?
01/06/2020 19:04:58

Dave, (SOD)

I have an Instrustar IS205A usb, datalogger and spectrum analyser which does a fair job on frequency analysis but no way can I get a printout. Current cost is about £65 from China via ebay.

Also have a Hantek 6022BE similar usb scope but not sure it does FFT; cost around £40. Best to search both on ebay for full specs.

Sorry I didn't get back to you on PM re. vibration lathe analysis but I just bought a Raspberry PI and I think I have fried my brain. What the learning curve is I daren't guess. Over the years I opted away from an electronics career to be a noise and vibration consultant - my workshop is testament to the deep allure of swarf and oil.

Basically for a manual lathe f(0) is mandrel rpm dictated by balance quality riding on background slush (noise) generated by lubicant swirl and sundry resonances plus motor speed and electrical noise. All other frequency peaks relate to gear meshes and bearing noise don't forget beat frequencies including relative speeds and rolling element speeds. Hewlett Packard used to do a handy booklet on this.

Hope this helps, Les

01/06/2020 17:31:52
Posted by Andrew Johnston on 10/05/2020 12:40:27:
Posted by Bazyle on 10/05/2020 12:10:47:

If not leading the thread off topic too far is there a low frequency spectrum analyser? I'm thinking in terms of analysing lathe vibrations so low frequency like audio range.

Don't know if one is available for the amateur, but they exist for the professional. They're called signal or waveform analysers. They're part spectrum analyser, part oscilloscope and part network analyser. Generally they will perform Fourier transforms, measure the response of a filter or amplifier and allow waveforms to be shown over time. The latter is often called a waterfall display. Successive scans in time are displayed offset in two dimensions so you get a 'waterfall' showing how the signal changes over time.

In the past I've used them for measuring filters with arbitrary pole/zero locations, for assessing the performance of active noise systems (*) and the performance of a 30Hz radio.

Andrew

(*) Being stuck 150ft up on an electro-precipitation stack at a cement works, at midnight, trying to work out why an active noise controller isn't working doesn't rate highly in my list of fun things to do.

Thread: Sort of a Straw Poll
15/05/2020 19:03:35

Hi All,

Many thanks for all your replies and advice. I am confident that I might have another 10 to 15 years in my workshop; just got to shift out of armchair engineer mode and make every day count.

My lad was a bit hurt that I painted him in possibly an oppressive mercenary light Money doesn't figure in his longer term view - fortunately not necessary 8^). His main imperative is to protect me from myself. I am an enthusiast of "retail therapy" and the postman's bell or Amazon knock brightens my week. Hence my need to sound out your collective expertise on the consideration of new ironmongery.

btw I've just ordered some compound imperial/metric changewheels for the Myford so my deliberations have some miles to run yet ; roll on this virus disappearing!

Best Wishes, Les

12/05/2020 19:37:19

I have accumulated spare cash to facilitate the purchase of a new lathe and a mill (Chinese likely) to replace my Myford S7 and Dore Westbury mill both in good working order. My son points out that this would be a waste of money given a limited time scale for me and any new toys. He has no interest in oily pastimes so in perhaps 8 years time he would be faced with clearing my workshop. I see his point which hinges on my active lifespan.

I guess from reading this forum assiduouly every day that there are a lot of old guys here. Without embarrassing anybody I hope that my metalbashing days will endure for at least another 10 years (to age 82) and I should like to have a guesstimate of active age bands from you guys.

Hope this posting is not viewed as in bad taste but I would be interested in occupancy of age bands 60-70, 70-75, 75-80, 80-85 to try to forecast my own activity. The same quandary is exercising my mind in regard to amateur radio and computer gear. Lots of lists and likely cash value.

Thank you and apologies for facing a life expectancy conundrum.

Regards, Les

Thread: Metric Screwcutting on imperial ML7
09/05/2020 17:34:03

Last November I received an email from <<noreply@model engineer. co uk>> referring me to a thread on metric screwcutting on an imperial Myford Super 7 with gearbox. Link to << **LINK**

I am eternally grateful to whoever sent me this link. I have read it probably 30 times and have bought Brian Wood's book "Gearing of Lathes for Screwcutting"

I am bemused by mention of 16-1/2 tooth gear wheels etc and am on the point of buying some bits once I can find the serial nos. of the lathe and gearbox - mine has the power bulge i.d.ing it as an early gearbox. The lathe is a mid 50's unit in quite good condition.

btw I know where the serial nos. are supposed to be but so far cannot find them.

The reason for this post is to query the availability lifetime of the thread archive (I would be zapped without it) and aslo to ask how to get a printout of the metric threads tables included in the various postings.

Hope I have posted this in the correct topic?

Regards, Les Rix

Thread: College Engineering Supplies rotary table
08/05/2020 18:09:42

Hi Alain,

I built mine around 1988 and think that the only problem would be making the worm and wheel. I got round this by buying them ready made 8^)

My workshop has been in limbo for about 12 years but now I am picking up the pieces again. I cannot immediately find the drawings for the table.

A question to you or others on the thread - what is the collar and lever rod on the drive shaft ? I am guessing it is a lock for the table. It is immovable on my version. Stored out of doors in cling film for a year or so probably a bit rusty although overall the unit is black and greasy.

Regards, elegy

Thread: Old steam boiler
26/04/2020 18:45:41

Happy days indeed Dave.

Meths was a very good wetting agent. Pulling out the burner under the illusion that it had run out of fuel I set fire to the dining table and fled leaving my long suffering father to do a fireman act 8^)

A couple of years later my interests had turned to rocketry and a dish of sulphur inadvertently caught fire - same table, choking fumes ! But enough sense to open a window.

Finally I embarked on radio and electronics. Much safer confined to my bedroom. However I do recall spilling an oil-filled capacitor onto my bed.

Last but not least I embarked on a career in electronics, then noise and vibration, then computers. Mainly an armchair engineer now tho' warmer days in the workshop beckon.

Best regards, Elegy

Thread: FREE flatbed plotter
11/10/2019 18:35:58

Sorry to piggyback on this thread but a search everywhere fails to give instructions on initiating a new topic.

I have been browsing this forum for yonks and have over 25 years experience in bbs and html for commercial purposes. Frankly this site is non intuitive and clunky.

Anyway:

FREE to good home a Graphtec A3 pen plotter, 8 layer/colours. Cost over £600 late '90s. Next to no use.

"buyer" to collect from Melton Mowbray. Regret cannot post. email for further details. (lesrix@yahoo.com) . Plotter is hpgl compatible.

Must now confess to being a forum newbie but have had a lathe, mill etc for 30 years. Nowadays I'm more of an armchair engineer and tinkerer. Best regards to all including moderators who are founts of all knowledge.

elegy

Thread: Dore Westbury Milling Machine
01/10/2019 17:16:54

Brian,

I have used 10W30 motor oil in my Dore Westbury mill gearbox for ten years or more. My gearbox is not sealed and excess oil percolates down the quill for total loss system. Lift and removal of top pulley gives access to gears.

My D-W is a hybrid Mk1/Mk2 with features of both e.g MT3 taper, z-axis downfeed on left hand side, 3-step pulley.

Incidentally I was given a pot of sticky grease to apply to gear wheels to ensure lubrication without "fling". Sometime I may get round to trying a set of Tufnol gears reputed to quieten the machine - not that noise is a problem.

hth elegy

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Engineer or Model Engineers' Workshop? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Engineer & Model Engineers' Workshop

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
Eccentric July 5 2018
rapid Direct
Warco
MIDLNDS GARDEN RAIL Jan 2022
emcomachinetools
cowells
JD Metals
Eccentric Engineering
Subscription Offer

Latest "For Sale" Ads
Latest "Wanted" Ads
Get In Touch!

Do you want to contact the Model Engineer and Model Engineers' Workshop team?

You can contact us by phone, mail or email about the magazines including becoming a contributor, submitting reader's letters or making queries about articles. You can also get in touch about this website, advertising or other general issues.

Click THIS LINK for full contact details.

For subscription issues please see THIS LINK.

Digital Back Issues

Social Media online

'Like' us on Facebook
Follow us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter
 Twitter Logo

Pin us on Pinterest