By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Member postings for Henry Brown

Here is a list of all the postings Henry Brown has made in our forums. Click on a thread name to jump to the thread.

Thread: Cigarette Papers
08/08/2020 19:46:04

I use a bit of fag paper occasionally or whats left of my thou and a half shim steel, seems ebay sellers only sell thou and a half in £14.50 rolls, the roll is 25' long though...

Thread: Sheet Metal Bending Block and Blade
08/08/2020 10:09:10

Looks good Nick, I could do with something like that occasionally. I must look out for some suitable lumps of steel, the bits you used look to be well seasoned!

Thread: EN8
07/08/2020 15:46:28

If you do go for EN8 its not particularly nice to machine, I turned some a while back and finished with a very sharp HSS ground tool, more recently I've used a **GT tip for aluminium that also gave an acceptable finish.

Thread: Two factor Authentication and Ruralism
05/08/2020 13:44:24

We use a mobile signal receiver/repeater for our wi-fi as the terrestrial internet is too slow to be of any use, costs £22 per month for unlimited downloads.

May be worth looking at the coverage maps for your area and if there is a chance of a signal borrow a phone that takes a signal from that provider to see if you can find a hot spot to place the receiver. The signal here on 3 is marginal but the receiver does a great job most of the time.

The ridiculous thing is that we are less than 8 miles from Worcester city centre.

Thread: Time for new collets?
30/07/2020 15:20:13

I've bought a couple of replacement R8 collets from Gloster tooling on ebay (but they do have a website) to replace the most eccentric of the ones I got in an Axminster set with my mill. Very impressed with them...

Thread: Today's delivery
29/07/2020 18:31:41
Posted by Nick Clarke 3 on 29/07/2020 16:29:21:

I remember seeing something on BBC's Tomorrows World (Now there's a blast from the past!!) years ago about some research into dropping an egg loose in packing. As far as I recall the space around the object didn't matter because if you shake the box the contents will just hit the soft cardboard and if something presses against one side it will move within the box and so not be harmed. Can't remember much more, but that is the gist of it.

Mind you it might be just a big box!!

Nick, the problem with that theory is if it moves too much in this case it can break the side of the box out as I have had happen before, there was precious little tape around the box....

Swarf, ok, the lady I spoke to did actually check if there were any stock in Evesham and didn't mention that. At the rate I go through grinding wheels I hope they have a long use by date as this is the first I've ever bought!

Anyway, fitted now and all good - it ran very smoothly too...

29/07/2020 14:15:26

I had this 200mm grinding wheel come from Cromwells yesterday. I was somewhat alarmed at how it was able to bump about in the box as the air bags weren't doing much.. The wheel rings ok so all's well but I'd expected better from Cromwell, I chose to buy from them but the local store but no stock of this wheel so had to go on-line.

20200729_140131.jpg

Thread: Hello from Worcestershire
28/07/2020 19:20:13

Welcome from another Worcestershire resident! Good luck with the search for a lathe - there seems to be loads about at present...

Thread: Quality small metric spanners
27/07/2020 21:39:31

Halfords Professional usually, I do but the odd quality spanner from ebay though when they pop up...

Thread: What Did You Do Today 2020
25/07/2020 10:59:58

Yesterday actually! I picked this VEM 600W output 8" bench grinder up locally yesterday for £50. It had been used by the chaps grandfather from new for sharpening wood chisels and came with a set of O'Donnell rests and a huge magnifying lens that has some dodgy looking strip lights in that I will replace with LED's once I have polished the light scratching from the lens. It had white and pink wheels fitted and came with some other wheels including a coarse new grey wheel that I will fit along with the nearly new pink wheel.

As can be seen it has cleaned up beautifully, only a wipe over with an oily rag, there was very little grinding residue in the guards and they don't look to have been connected to any extractors. It even came with the original hand book and guarantee card that was not sent off.

The O'Donnell rests can go on ebay to offset the cost a little!

20.07.24 bench grinder.jpg

Thread: Cognitive ability.
22/07/2020 08:24:58

I was at the Doc's having a blood test or similar and she enquired about my general well being and I mentioned that I felt I was getting forgetful. She suggested I come back for a test and to make an appointment with Reception on the way out.

I was halfway home when I remembered I'd forgotten to make the appointment...

Subsequently I sailed through the test so all's well at present, I think!

Thread: New Member for North Shropshire
22/07/2020 07:51:15

Welcome Terry, I'm located near Pershore in Worcestershire. Recently sold my S7 as It wasn't big enough for my needs. Lots of good stuff on here - hope you find it useful and enjoy your visits...

Thread: Mc Donald Model tractor
21/07/2020 11:55:34

Looking forward to following the progress on this one Fred...

Thread: Overview of fitting variable frequency drive (VFD) to a Myford ML7
21/07/2020 11:53:59

Not wishing to be involved in any of the above shenanigans here is my inverter installation. I was guided by Peter at Inverter Supermarket and a friend who was the works electrician where I used to work in the choice of mounting and the enclosure.

inverter 3.jpg

Hope this is of interest...

The enclosure sits just above my lathe and is spaced 25mm from the wall. There are rearward facing louvers at the top and bottom with some fine mesh to stop most particles that can get that way. When I took these pictures today it obviously works as there is only the merest hint of dust in there.

inverter 2.jpg

Thread: Motorcycle racing - Mark and Sam in particular
20/07/2020 12:07:24

Looking forward to the next thrilling installment Barrie...

Thread: What’s this lathe insert used for?
12/07/2020 19:20:48

Maybe for forming the fins on a labyrinth seal?

Thread: Something for my Economy Engine to drive
09/07/2020 21:27:42

Thanks Jason, I've just sent the registration off for MEM, I'll let you know how I get on...

09/07/2020 19:25:28

I'm coming towards the end of the machining on my Economy Engine and was toying with the idea of investing in something like a quarter scale pump to make to go with it. Plans would do but I would prefer a casting package if anything suitable is available. I haven't found anything on the web so any suggestions would be appreciated.

Thread: What Did You Do Today 2020
05/07/2020 18:13:35

Nice job Ian, great knob disgust

I have been given 6 used heavy duty rubber mats from a stable, about 6' x 4' each. My workshop floor has been made up of odds and ends of various rubber mats so far, today I took the old ones out and with a little help from "The Enemy" we managed to fit two of them. They are very about 3/4" thick and very heavy, I found the best way to cut them was with a jigsaw with a very coarse blade. I'm quite pleased with them now they are down despite the slight aroma of horse...

20.07.05 new floor mats.jpg

Thread: Broken drill bit in hole
04/07/2020 17:38:02

I've just come to this thread for obvious reasons!

I was drilling a 2mm hole through the ali hopper into the CI liner for my Economy Engine when the drill broke just as it was breaking through into the bore of the liner, there is about 20mm stuck in there. The hole is for the oil drip feed for the piston.

So, as I can't get at either end of the broken drill easily I thought I check to see what others have done here. I've never used Potassium Aluminium Sulphate so I plan to give it a try being careful to mask the bore to protect it as best I can, fortunately it has still to be honed. My question is how much Alum will I need, will 100g be enough? I'm assuming it is diluted in water but what ratio for dilution.

Thanks in anticipation for any help or suggestions...

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Engineer or Model Engineers' Workshop? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Engineer & Model Engineers' Workshop

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
EngineDIY
emcomachinetools
Allendale Electronics
Eccentric July 5 2018
cowells
Warco
ChesterUK
Eccentric Engineering
Subscription Offer

Latest "For Sale" Ads
Latest "Wanted" Ads
Get In Touch!

Do you want to contact the Model Engineer and Model Engineers' Workshop team?

You can contact us by phone, mail or email about the magazines including becoming a contributor, submitting reader's letters or making queries about articles. You can also get in touch about this website, advertising or other general issues.

Click THIS LINK for full contact details.

For subscription issues please see THIS LINK.

Digital Back Issues

Social Media online

'Like' us on Facebook
Follow us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter
 Twitter Logo

Pin us on Pinterest