By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Member postings for Henry Brown

Here is a list of all the postings Henry Brown has made in our forums. Click on a thread name to jump to the thread.

Thread: Porsche 951
10/05/2021 13:49:35

Very nice Peter, a friend has had a few of these, one hard top, the rest convertibles. Well built and as you say very reliable, I think his only real issue was with the electric hood but that won't bother you! Looking forward to seeing more form you and wondering what year the car is?

Thread: What Did You Do Today 2021
07/05/2021 11:03:54

Changed the oil in the GH1322 lathe yesterday, first change since new this time last year!

Its supposed to be done at 6 months but as I haven't been using the lathe much over winter I wasn't too worried. The cleaner (lighter) oil is from the headstock and shows no contamination other than a bit of moisture maybe. That from the gearbox is quite dark and seems to have some very fine casting deposits in it. I flushed the gearbox and will change that again in a few months time and see what comes out.

21.05.05.jpg

Thread: Something a bit different- excavator arm
01/05/2021 15:46:29

Excellent! I wonder if it would fit on the back of Four Stroke Fred's tractor wink

Thread: What odd grease?
29/04/2021 14:23:33

Some folk use a mix of EP90 oil and LM2 grease for the front axle swivels of older Land Rovers. It's also referred to as one shot. Others swear by just EP90. Surprised the gearbox is full to the brim though...

Thread: Finding a penknife
28/04/2021 20:08:26

I bought a lovely carbon steel bladed British hand made knife a few years ago while in Scotland on holiday, it has Barlow stamped on the handle and Sheffield England on the blade I think that Barlow is the type...

Thread: B&D workmate
25/04/2021 13:18:20

I inherited my late dad's aluminium framed workmate and I have one from the mid 80's I bought when I was renovating my last home. I still use them both, often outside for dirty or dusty jobs or when I need to do DIY heaven forbid. I did manage to get some spares a while back from a Black & Decker shop when I was passing through Nottingham, likely long gone. Seeing this thread I wondered if the plastic parts are still available, a quick brose through ebay showed up most parts are...

Thread: Laptop with a SD card slot
25/04/2021 12:17:20

Just to close the loop on this one, I ended up with a 17.3" Lenovo Legion 5 (2.6/5.0Mhz, 16gb RAM, 512gb SSD) bought direct from Lenovo with nine months interest credit.

It pretty much fulfils all my requirements and on opening this morning seems to be a very well made and sturdy machine. I was surprised to find that on reading the start-up info there is a SD card slot is this 17.3" version, a very well kept secret that even Lenovo help didn't acknowledge!

Thanks for everyone's help enabling me to get this far, I've just got to learn all the new stuff on it now!

Thread: What to do when you lose something
22/04/2021 17:38:30

I'm pleased it's not just me then!

Thread: End Mills and coatings
20/04/2021 17:27:18

I try to plan ahead and buy what I need when I need it! I have ended up with all sorts and sizes but mainly good quality HSS...

Thread: Laptop with a SD card slot
13/04/2021 20:41:04

Thanks for your help Martin, I've checked Argos and they only offer this with home delivery unfortunately. Their returns policy says that items have to be returned unopened so I need to think about whether I want to chance it.

13/04/2021 19:31:48
Posted by Martin Payne on 13/04/2021 10:51:58:

You could try an HP Pavilion 17-cd1014na for £1049 from Argos (I'm very happy with the 8GB version I've got as my gaming pc).

Seems to meet all your requirements except maybe the price.

Edited By Martin Payne on 13/04/2021 11:21:56

Thanks Martin, missed your post! I've had a bad experience with a HP laptop, not to mention one of their printers so I'd skipped over that one. Looks very good value for money though but the screen hinge looks a bit delicate in the blurb. I may well pop into my local Argos and take a look...

13/04/2021 17:54:54

Ok, thanks for the posts chaps, all interesting reading (well, most of it wink)

Jann and George, thanks especially for that - I'll take another look as I'd missed or skipped over those. Jann I have a R Pi in the pipeline for the other half of my new enclosure, all this software stuff has been a huge learning curve for me. I was delighted to get the new main board working after a couple of attempts at compiling the firmware thanks to the Kay 3D guide. I've been playing with Fusion 360 on my old laptop (an old Toshiba Satellite with16" screen) designing the enclosure and a new fan system for the upgraded hot end that's in the pipeline, I've enjoyed the challenge of 3D CAD after spending many years on 2D at work hence the new laptop.

I'd almost pushed the button on a Lenovo Francis until I saw it was without the SD slot and still may go that route with the smallest SD to USB adaptor I can find!

I'm off to trawl the internet again!

13/04/2021 17:38:59
Posted by Nick Clarke 3 on 13/04/2021 10:30:34:

My Creality Ender 3 came with a micro SD card and also a USB reader that just slots into a full sized USB port - no cable, no nothing - did you get one too?

Yes mine did too Nick, but I wanted a quiet main board and one or two other things so I printed an enclosure to take the new mb and added a quiet fan and full sized SD card reader as fat fingers and micro SD cards don't go well together! I didn't give it a thought that any new PC wouldn't have a SD card slot...

mainboard enclosure.jpg

12/04/2021 12:36:44

Yes, it may have to be the way forward Steve but what a faff! I use my laptop on my lap so anything that has to be added or sticks out is a nuisance tbh, The one I nearly bought has 4 USB ports and numerous others, however most Creality 3D printers use SD (my adventures into wireless/Octoprint are away off) as does my camera so an SD card would be preferred.

12/04/2021 12:04:24

I'm looking to buy a 17.3" screen laptop with an SD card port! It seems that they don't come as standard on higher spec models these days which seems a bit silly. I need the SD Card to transfer files to my 3D printer after generating .STL's in Fusion 360 and to download files from my camera.

These are the recommended specs from the Autodesk site:

1.7Ghz minimum but I'd prefer 2.6GHz or greater, 6 or more cores, 16gb memory, Dedicated GPU with 4 GB or more VRAM, DirectX 12 supported, 1920 x 1080 or greater at 100% scale resolution.

Scan Computers (Bolton) can build me a special but I'm thinking it will be out of my price range so I'm guessing I will have to get an adapter, before I press the buy button on one without has anyone any other suggestion please?

Thread: Power supply companies.
30/03/2021 18:03:20

Green Energy, best communicator I've used and we generate as well as use so that is important to me. I get an email every quarter to remind me to send the generated reading in and because I use my Tesco credit card (points!) to pay every month I get a reminder to send the readings in for that. On the odd occasion I have rung them they were very helpful and polite.

**LINK**

Thread: There may be a delay in some deliveries ...
28/03/2021 14:53:52

Damn! That's the delivery of JST-XH crimpers I ordered recently gone for a burton then crying The 3D printer mods will have to wait...

Thread: Vehi cle Tax Scam
28/03/2021 11:04:40

Everyone must know this but maybe worth repeating! If the curser is held over the line in the left hand column that says where the mail has come from it will show you the address. If its a scam they are usually clearly form an unreliable source.

Thread: New member, N. Gloucestershire.
27/03/2021 18:33:05

I don't have any contacts I'm afraid Paul. What weight is it? I installed a GH1322 (about 500kg) here by myself, if its that sort of size/weight drop me a pm via here, maybe we can sort something out...

27/03/2021 11:20:00

Welcome Paul, sound like you are fairly close to me, I'm near Pershore. Enjoy spending time with your projects...

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Engineer or Model Engineers' Workshop? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Engineer & Model Engineers' Workshop

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
ChesterUK
Warco
JD Metals
emcomachinetools
cowells
Eccentric July 5 2018
Eccentric Engineering
Subscription Offer

Latest "For Sale" Ads
Latest "Wanted" Ads
Get In Touch!

Do you want to contact the Model Engineer and Model Engineers' Workshop team?

You can contact us by phone, mail or email about the magazines including becoming a contributor, submitting reader's letters or making queries about articles. You can also get in touch about this website, advertising or other general issues.

Click THIS LINK for full contact details.

For subscription issues please see THIS LINK.

Digital Back Issues

Social Media online

'Like' us on Facebook
Follow us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter
 Twitter Logo

Pin us on Pinterest