By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Member postings for Henry Brown

Here is a list of all the postings Henry Brown has made in our forums. Click on a thread name to jump to the thread.

Thread: MIDLANDS MODEL ENGINEERING EXHIBITION
17/10/2019 16:33:56

Just arrived home with a bag of goodies! It was my first time at the show so these are very much impressions of a newbie...

We arrived at about 10:45 along the Fosse Way from the South West and met the traffic as we approached the roundabout and it was very slow going getting onto the the car park which was very near full then. Getting in was fine even though we paid by card on the door and we collected our free show guide (bonus) and started to have a look around. It was quite busy and just got busier as the morning went on. After I'd had a little shop around we (wife in tow) went for a coffee but the queue was horrendous so I left her chatting with a very nice lady from Leeds while I went and completed my purchasing spree and looked at the wonderful models on display. There were so many that I would have loved to have made but the one that sticks in my mind the the railway engine that was being displayed by OO Live Steam stand (Q), a gentleman was explaining how they fitted the steam and electrical gubbins, all powered from the track electrics!

We did sit in on the start of the lecture about CAD for 3D modelling but the poor chap giving the talk was clearly struggling with his equipment so we decided we'd leave and get some lunch on the way home.

A thoroughly enjoyable few hours, and maybe try to go when it is less crowded. I'd certainly go again, but the catering and car park really needs addressing, and well done to all the society's who put on such a splendid show.

Thread: How to repair old King Dick socket extension?
27/09/2019 11:25:43

Stating the obvious but cut the spring to length to be sure it doesn't bind!

Thread: Aldi Metal Bandsaw
27/09/2019 11:22:29
Posted by Graham Williams 12 on 27/09/2019 11:02:50:

Let us know how you get on Henry. Delivery on my order said 3-5 working days...

Graham

Will do Graham. I ordered it on Tuesday pm this week, Yodel received it yesterday, so pretty good as they weren't supposed to be released by Aldi until the 26th!

27/09/2019 10:59:15

Well, it has arrived a day early! I have to say I'm impressed with the Yodel delivery side of things, being able to track the driver to my location is a real bonus.

I've just built it, which was easy enough, and it all seems to work as it should, it looks well made for the money. It is branded Ferrex, similar versions seem to start at £210 on the internet so it would seem to be good value. The proof of the pudding will be in the cutting I guess, I'll probably find something to cut up in the next few days just to try it out.

27/09/2019 07:58:12

Mines supposed to arrive tomorrow. Thanks for the comments above...

Thread: Hi from Worcestershire
27/07/2019 17:45:48

Hi John, welcome to the group!

I'm near Pershore, and a newbie to the group too, so guess I can't be too far away...

Regards, Henry.

Thread: Hello from Worcestershire
08/07/2019 07:38:45

Hello Jim, welcome to the forum, lots of interesting things here!

Regards, Henry.

Thread: Cast iron - 160mm dia
04/07/2019 11:50:23
Posted by KWIL on 04/07/2019 10:35:43:

Imperfections, such as??

Inclusions or voids, usually in the centre up to around an inch, if this is being machined out then it doesn't matter.

If I remember correctly its something to do with the way the cast iron is processed in manufacture. The Co. I worked for occasionally used it for end housings when they had run out of dedicated castings as it was a certified product and had to be made from cast to match the main housing. As a shaft ran through the centre it was ok for that use.

Maybe something to check when ordering?

04/07/2019 09:59:47

From experience there can be some imperfections in the centre of cast bars, probably not an issue for you but just be aware of that...

Thread: Snail Problems
29/06/2019 10:55:15

Coffee grinds! They don't like to cross them - most coffee houses are glad to give them away...

Thread: More Workshop space, shall I or not..?
28/06/2019 11:16:06

Looks great Ron, a good move in more ways than one!

I'm very impressed with the LED lighting as my part of the garage is in need of more light I'll be investigating them so thank for the heads up on those...

Thread: Scraping
25/06/2019 07:44:00

Before the advent of high performance sealants the company I worked for scraped all horizontal gearbox halving joints, checking them with blue, despite them being ground. The grinding process was somewhat crude so a better joint was required.

It was also standard practice to bed in shafts into white metal bearings by scraping and blueing as well. The gearboxes were in the order of three tons upwards...

I still have my "Golden Virginia" tin of engineers blue and some small scrapers made from old files from when I was an apprentice but could do with a decent scraper, the modern replaceable blade ones were so much easier to use I remember.

Thread: Attachment to make 'rattle can' easier to use.
20/06/2019 18:05:41

Halfrauds have them for £6.00, might be a little cheaper with a trade card...

Thread: Warco WM16 machine vice
20/06/2019 18:00:02

I recently purchased a 125mm ARC versatile milling vice and on checking there was a .004" error between the base and the face that the jaws fix to and run on. I took a very light skim from the base and its now within .001" which is good enough for my needs.

I, like others, took the rotating part off and it is unlikely I shall use it. I think it is a good value vice, it's a pity ARC don't offer it without the swivel and spend the money on making it more accurate.

Thread: Tools or 'things' as therapy
18/06/2019 09:41:13
Posted by John Paton 1 on 18/06/2019 08:18:20:

Oh no Henry, thats just weird and kinky! You risk backlash for encouraging people to put filthy, oily fingerprints on priceless domestic treasures. Door handles and light switches are one thing, but furniture ..noooooo!wink 2

Probably because my Dad was a carpenter! I've had more than one final warning about mucky door handles and swarf on the carpet though John...

18/06/2019 07:44:07

That extends to lovingly cared for old wood too, I can't help just putting my hand on a patinated piece of furniture as I walk by...

Thread: Cheap Carbide Lathe Tools
18/06/2019 07:27:09

Back in the day, 70's, there was little choice other than brazed carbide for heavy machining. Part of being an apprentice was learning how to shape them including the top face. I still have the skill, bit like riding the proverbial bike, and use them but the hobby ones are so much smaller than we used on big lathes and borers so they are fiddly to grind. There's a place for them, tips and HSS it just knowing where and when!

Thread: Supply of machines
15/06/2019 09:09:32
Posted by Hopper on 15/06/2019 08:25:17:
Posted by Mike guitar on 14/06/2019 22:49:22:

You might do well to follow up wit ArcEurotrade. They have a good track record among forum members here.

Only problem with the ARC machines is that they are a little small, especially as Mike is thinking Bridgeport size or similar. I had the same issue, just not enough space for a Bridgeport, the SX4 is as near as was commercially available at the time.

14/06/2019 22:31:11

I managed to get a SEIG SX4 ex-demo from Axminster, it took two machines to get one that was acceptable and I still had to do some work on the second but I did get a hefty discount!

Thread: Rover V8 drilling valve guides
14/06/2019 08:09:35
Posted by Robert Atkinson 2 on 14/06/2019 07:22:46:

TR7? Surely it's a TR8 or haven't you told your insurers and the DVLA? devil

Robert G8RPI.

It's a TR7 that was converted to a V8 plus a few other bits back in 1995 Robert! I do have a genuine LHD (Californian import) TR8 sat in the garage that needs a bit of TLC!

Henry, G0EMS!

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Engineer or Model Engineers' Workshop? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Engineer & Model Engineers' Workshop

Support Our Partners
Eccentric July 5 2018
Eccentric Engineering
cowbells
Ausee.com.au
Warco
Meridenne Boat 2019
ChesterUK
TRANSWAVE Converters
emcomachinetools
Allendale Electronics
Subscription Offer

Latest "For Sale" Ads
Latest "Wanted" Ads
Get In Touch!

Do you want to contact the Model Engineer and Model Engineers' Workshop team?

You can contact us by phone, mail or email about the magazines including becoming a contributor, submitting reader's letters or making queries about articles. You can also get in touch about this website, advertising or other general issues.

Click THIS LINK for full contact details.

For subscription issues please see THIS LINK.

Digital Back Issues

Social Media online

'Like' us on Facebook
Follow us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter
 Twitter Logo

Pin us on Pinterest