By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Member postings for Henry Brown

Here is a list of all the postings Henry Brown has made in our forums. Click on a thread name to jump to the thread.

Thread: Multifix toolholder Vendors
14/01/2021 07:47:19

Peter mentioned that the shipment was1.5 tonnes, that's an awful lot of parts I guess!

13/01/2021 18:32:06

Yep, the link works ok, I've no idea how to imbed the video so that it shows up!

I haven't heard from Peter despite emailing on Monday, I think, but haven't heard back from him yet I'll keep an eye open for the email...

13/01/2021 17:03:44

You copy the address from the top of the YouTube screen you want to link to, it will start with https:/....

Come to your post on here, click on the world icon on the second row (third button in on its LH side) and past the address in the box, type in "Link" or what ever you want to appear in your post, click ok and it should appear in the posting. Hope that makes sense!

Nothing arrived from Germany today face 11

12/01/2021 22:19:31

Not sure what happened to the link! Search for this: SNS 314 Part 1: Mounting a Multifix Tool.

12/01/2021 20:25:32
Posted by Pete. on 12/01/2021 19:14:03:

Have you noticed any rigidity difference over the old QCTP?

Yes, I have but I think its mainly down to the larger central tool post and machining a tight fitting a T nut type thing in the T in the top slide, the thread into the T nut was M20 coarse and M16 fine into the top of the new post. I followed a video from YouTube for all that, amending to suit my lathe, I think I might have linked to it in a previous post on this thread.

One thing I have noticed there is a much clearer view of the tool as its cutting which is handy.

Edit - this is the video, two parts, this is part one...

Edited By Henry Brown on 12/01/2021 20:28:29

12/01/2021 18:47:37

Aye, it was this one: Link

Surprisingly there are a few things on there DTI holders etc...

I must admit to being very impressed with my set from PeWe now I've been using them for a week or two, especially the parting blade holder.

12/01/2021 18:01:33

Nice one Pete, good to hear they have arrived. Now that yours have come I'm hoping mine will turn up soon! You'll need some of these now...

toolholder1.jpg

Thread: Have You considered getting a 3D printer
08/01/2021 13:29:39
Posted by Ronald Morrison on 08/01/2021 00:23:06:

I've found it easiest to just remove the nut holding the tube to the feed mechanism and get it started into the tube, the thread the nut back where it belongs. Once started you can just release the feed and push the filament down the tube.

Ronald, I'm a newbie to this as well, I find that it's best use the direction of curve of the filament and also cut the filament at a sharp angle helps no end. Mines an Ender 3 Pro.

Bob R, I did the same and I'm quietly getting my head around Fusion 360. My first prints were a set of holders for my Multifix tool holders, design on Thingiverse, since then I printed adjusters for the X and Y belts amongt other things. My attempts at a tool tip holder to go on the board with the Multifix worked out ok as well...

tip box.jpg

I did have a problem with loose screws on the preassembled X axis cross bar causing the setting of the bed to be a nightmare, this was compounded by loose adjusting screws under the heated bed. It took it all apart and put some slightly longer screws in the X axis cross bar as there was a bit of unused thread and Loctited the adjusting screws under the bed, I also change the rubbish springs for a set from ebay (from I_jest-you_not, andylaw1974@hotmail.co.uk) which has now made it much easier to set up and stabalised the bed.

Lots of frustrating fun, a steep learning curve indeed!

Thread: Postal Imports ... Notice 143
06/01/2021 14:01:06

You may well be correct Bill, far too deep for me! The coin came onto my watchlist this morning so I assumed it was a new listing and the ebay action was taken when the item was added.

If what you say is correct however it will kill sales of second hand, or pre-owned, items from overseas unless the lister starts at a stupidly low price and a bidding war goes on.

Thread: Carriage stop/dial gauge mount.
06/01/2021 13:53:05

Posted by IanT on 06/01/2021 12:50:21:

Posted by Henry Brown on 06/01/2021 12:13:22:

I might try to draw one in CAD to 3D print.

And if you did Henry - I might try to print one!

Regards,

IanT

LOL, my 3D CAD skills are very limited as are my 3D printing skills Ian, don't hold your breath! I did manage to draw up a small box for my tool tips (to go with the Multifix holders I downloaded from Thingiverse) to print yesterday...

tip box.jpg

Thread: DTI Stand - Single Lock Type?
06/01/2021 13:37:35

TBH I've no idea Dr! It does allow for a good feel when setting up if needed, unlike the clamp type which tends to be either clamped or not the hydraulic damping is there as required. Others here have Mitutoyo hydraulic but they are twice the price! I have to say it is very stable, I bought it for clocking on the mill, I use it under the head and sometimes on the quill/spindle so it needs to be stable. I have a conventional clamp type with a magnetic base for use on the lathe but much prefer the hydraulic!

One thing you might want to consider is the size of the base and arm, I have a Seig SX4 mill, its fine size wise for that, but may be a little large for smaller machines.

Edited By Henry Brown on 06/01/2021 14:02:50

06/01/2021 12:23:41

I have a hydraulic Dasqua from Chronos, mid price range but very good.

dasqua hydraulic dit base.jpg

Thread: Postal Imports ... Notice 143
06/01/2021 12:21:07

It seems ebay aren't up to speed yet! Here's a listing for a used geocoin, it has to be used because not only does it say pre owned it is also "activated" (the coin has a trackable number that the owner activates to allow it to be tracked as it travels the world). The listing clearly shows that VAT will be added. Maybe the seller in the US doesn't know about the VAT changes here and has set his listing wrongly but I'd have thought ebay would have picked that up from the pre owned statement.

20210106_120404.jpg

Thread: Carriage stop/dial gauge mount.
06/01/2021 12:13:22

My machine allowed me to cut and paste it ok. I had a look and downloaded an image - I might try to draw one in CAD to 3D print. Here a picture of one:

dti holder.jpg

Thread: Well done Warco
05/01/2021 20:17:11

Yep, had a similar experience with them recently, I've always found Peter the spares man to be most helpful.

Well done Warco!

Thread: VAT changes post Brexit
04/01/2021 12:25:58

That's my sort of experience with the Chinese bits and bobs I've been watching on ebay pre/post Decemdber 31st. Inevitable and as expected really, I'm waiting for a while until things settle down.

Thread: Where is the 'How to' Page
04/01/2021 12:19:33

Well done Brian, it's a funny old bit of software but you soon get used to its quirks! Welcome to the forum, looking forward to your posts...

Thread: Warco UNIVERSAL TOOL & CUTTER GRINDER v Quorn Mk 3
01/01/2021 21:32:50

Don't forget to benchmark the Stent against the Quorn if going that way...

Thread: Nu-Tool CH10 - Spares/Reworking
31/12/2020 13:38:27

I've had a CH10 for some years I use for rough work, its all good except the quill has a fair bit of slop in it, it's on the round tuit job list to have a look at the quill bearings if it has any! If not I'll bore each end for a bronze bush.

Looks like you made a good job of those teeth, at least you have had some practice for the next batch...

Thread: 3 leg hone
29/12/2020 12:22:22

I bought the Kennedy version from Zoro (from ebay) about £16 it has two and three legs and covers a lerger range of diameters. It was fine in use and gave a nice finish to the CI bore for my Economy Engine using oily diesel..

Link

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Engineer or Model Engineers' Workshop? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Engineer & Model Engineers' Workshop

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
Warco
EngineDIY
Eccentric July 5 2018
cowells
ChesterUK
emcomachinetools
Eccentric Engineering
Subscription Offer

Latest "For Sale" Ads
Latest "Wanted" Ads
Get In Touch!

Do you want to contact the Model Engineer and Model Engineers' Workshop team?

You can contact us by phone, mail or email about the magazines including becoming a contributor, submitting reader's letters or making queries about articles. You can also get in touch about this website, advertising or other general issues.

Click THIS LINK for full contact details.

For subscription issues please see THIS LINK.

Digital Back Issues

Social Media online

'Like' us on Facebook
Follow us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter
 Twitter Logo

Pin us on Pinterest