By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Member postings for Henry Brown

Here is a list of all the postings Henry Brown has made in our forums. Click on a thread name to jump to the thread.

Thread: Cleaning glass.
15/10/2021 16:50:03

My wife swears by Nilglass...

Thread: Model of an epicyclic gear made by apprentices
04/10/2021 19:56:06
Posted by Martin Connelly on 04/10/2021 18:15:50:

Not test bed. These are contract builds.

Martin C

Interesting, the first part of the jigsaw was the gearbox, central point so logical I guess. Unfortunately I didn't ever get to Siemens at Lincoln, my main contact was through Greenray as I latterly worked in the Service department. I did get involved with a few of the technical people when things went wrong though...

All good stuff, thanks Martin.

04/10/2021 17:23:02

A test bed build picture at Lincoln I presume Martin?

04/10/2021 16:49:48

Great memories Rik...

I remember as a new apprentice going to Bedford and being amazed at the size of some of the machines they had, one thing that stands out in my memory was a couple of us standing in one bore of an in line eight cylinder engine block!

Sadly the engine manufacturing moved to Scandinavia as part of the Rolls Royce rationalisation and now the gears are made in France after RR sold the business at Pershore to three directors who made a right cods of it, finally selling it on to GE who, despite owning Lufkin, had no idea about manufacturing high speed, high power epicyclics. I'm told it took the French engineers eighteen months to get a working gear despite having all the drawings.

04/10/2021 15:39:23

Typical Allen Gears supplied to Siemens...

ag siemens.jpg

04/10/2021 15:33:24
Posted by Henry Brown on 03/10/2021 21:37:49:

This was a medium sized gear Dave, the chap in the photo was about 6'3". It took a bit longer than 5 minutes to cut the teeth on these wink

Not sure what happened there - it showed the pix as I was typing the comments, so lets have another go...

download.jpg

Howard, I'll pop in to the Museum and have a look at that Allen twin next time I'm over there...

03/10/2021 21:37:49

This was a medium sized gear Dave, the chap in the photo was about 6'3". It took a bit longer than 5 minutes to cut the teeth on these wink

03/10/2021 21:34:09

No sure what you mean by the term "free hobbing" John. Sun, star and planets were hobbed and ground, internal gear rings and couplings were shaped and hobbed.

03/10/2021 18:47:38

Hello Nicolae,

Allen Gears did produce some parallel shaft gears, both vertical but mostly horizontal. They supplied gears to many power generation packagers including Ruston, now Siemens of course. Epicyclic gears were the mainstay of the business however due to the compact size and high efficiency.

Regards, Henry.

Thread: Solar Panel Slew bearing, van hub?
21/09/2021 12:36:55

The brake on a van hub might come in handy when its windy! I'd be inclined to use the hub at ground level, pole on top (wouldn't need to be very high if you have a good horizon) and mount the panels on that.

Thread: How to post lithium batteries?
14/09/2021 10:55:28

I ordered some Li-on batteries, about £23 worth, a couple of years ago, when they came the supplier had sent the wrong ones. They agreed to replace them at their cost provided I used the original packing. I had carefully unpacked them and re-packed them up in the original packing, and took them to my local PO. I told them they were batteries and away they went.

A couple of days later I had a letter from the Royal Mail stating batteries must not be sent through the post and that they had destroyed the parcel and its contents. As ever, there was no recourse from Royal Mail. I won't make that mistake again, no more mail order batteries for me!

Thread: Workholding Problem
11/09/2021 21:54:11

If you have a four sided Stevenson collet block you could set it up in a four jaw on the lathe and use a suitably sized collet to hold the small diameter. Very useful bits of kit if you use ER32 collets on the mill...

Thread: Dodgy eyes and extra workshop lighting
09/09/2021 15:47:07

I went over to cool light LED tubes about a year ago, I have two on from the light switch and a third and fourth that I can switch on/off independently once the first two are on if needs be. I do have LED lights on both the lathe and mill, in fact I could do with a second on the mill to eliminate shadow, I did the conversion to the existing fittings, a straightforward job as the tube came with a dummy starter and uses pretty much all the existing wiring. Well worth doing!

Thread: Wild life, bird watching and photography
09/09/2021 13:31:06

Some lovely photos! We used to plan holiday around looking for UK birds, we are lucky in that we live in a rural area so get to see most common wildlife locally on walks. This is a shot of a Little Owl I took sat on our wood pile last year:

p1030297.jpg

This is a Roe deer taken through my rather grubby workshop window earlier this year:

21.06.18 roe by pond.jpg

Thread: Type 2 precision vice from Arc euro
06/09/2021 11:51:01

The vise arrived first thing this morning from MSC and was very well packed. On unpacking I was very impressed by the finish and apparent quality, having clocked it on the mill I can't find fault with a .0005 clock.

A great buy at the price, I just need to make a couple of small clamps for it now...

Thread: Disposal of swarf
03/09/2021 19:01:30

Our local tip has a skip for metal recycling, car bits, old bikes etc. I put mine in a smallish strong waste bin, when that's full I empty I pop to the tip and dump it in the skip.

Thread: Type 2 precision vice from Arc euro
03/09/2021 13:57:24

Thanks for your help John, order placed! I'll keep an eye on their flyers if they are doing such good deals...

03/09/2021 11:51:13
Posted by John P on 26/08/2021 09:48:53:

Hi,
For those of you who may be interested in buying this type
of vice have a look in J&L MSC Advantage Flyer August
page 13 at these Interstate vices on offer.

John

Has anyone worked out how to order these at the stated price on line as I could do with a 3"? I've signed up and applied the special discount code but it still states £93 odd!

Thread: Painting PLA
19/08/2021 11:13:16
Posted by Gordon Tarling on 19/08/2021 10:44:11:

Use Halfords plastic primer as first coat, then Halfords primer/filler if required, then almost any compatible paint for colour coat, I'm fond of brush-on acrylics for my railway buildings, but other paints will also work. Top coat of clear lacquer if the item is going to spend any time outside.

Thanks Gordon, that's what I'll do next time...

19/08/2021 10:13:26

I bought some Plasticote acrylic spray cans from Hobbycraft thinking it would be good, unfortunately it wasn't! While it adheres well the primer is difficult to flat and the (silver) top coat was very soft. Just picking the part up left fingerprints even after a good few hours.

Maybe I did something wrong, I followed the instructions though, but found it to be much harder to spray than normal car (Halfords) paint which I will try next time.

Haven't needed to spray anything else since as I bought some silver PLA and the Plasticote stuf went in the recycling bin...

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Engineer or Model Engineers' Workshop? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Engineer & Model Engineers' Workshop

Support Our Partners
Warco
cowells
emcomachinetools
JD Metals
Eccentric July 5 2018
walker midge
rapid Direct
Eccentric Engineering
Subscription Offer

Latest "For Sale" Ads
Latest "Wanted" Ads
Get In Touch!

Do you want to contact the Model Engineer and Model Engineers' Workshop team?

You can contact us by phone, mail or email about the magazines including becoming a contributor, submitting reader's letters or making queries about articles. You can also get in touch about this website, advertising or other general issues.

Click THIS LINK for full contact details.

For subscription issues please see THIS LINK.

Digital Back Issues

Social Media online

'Like' us on Facebook
Follow us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter
 Twitter Logo

Pin us on Pinterest