By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Member postings for Colin Wilks

Here is a list of all the postings Colin Wilks has made in our forums. Click on a thread name to jump to the thread.

Thread: Bronze bushing
25/10/2019 19:57:15

Confess I coughed when I saw metric measurements! I hesitate to put this link up as the whole point is to make it yourself. I have no connection with the company, other than as a customer.

**LINK**

25/10/2019 19:20:08

My point was that in an Austin Seven the bushes were usally Oilite, so the OP might want to consider his choice of material, or maybe I have misconstrued Old Mart's post. Either way Oilite might be a better/easier route for both machining and operation.

Edited By Colin Wilks on 25/10/2019 19:41:59

Edited By Colin Wilks on 25/10/2019 19:42:35

25/10/2019 18:23:36

I believe the brake cam bushes are usually self lubricating Oilite.

Thread: Surface Mount Switch
16/10/2019 12:58:26

Cracked it. Googling "enclosure junction box" produces what I am after.

Regarding a direct on line motor starter with a separate emergency stop, this makes sense as it protects against overload and allows me to position the stop switch in the most appropriate position, but is this technology compatible with my Crompton Parkinson 240v motor which uses a condenser to start via a centrifugal switch?

16/10/2019 11:46:25

Thanks for the link Stuart. To answer you and MichaelG, if you Google "NVR Switch" you get a large selection of on/off and emergency stop switches, but only very few are surface mount (i.e. have a box on the back). The majority are flush mount to replace existing switches in machines, and nobody seems to sell the empty plastic back boxes. As I am fitting the switch to the metal cabinet of a Myford lathe I need to surface mount the switch.

16/10/2019 11:13:02

Thanks all. No easy answer!

The eBay offering of the Axminster Kedu switch seems to also come from Axminster and their eBay seller's rating seems excellent. One worrying review of the product was that the emergency stop needed pressing "for several seconds" in order to cut the power, which seems a pretty fundamental flaw and I'm guessing was due to either a faulty unit or incorrect wiring.

I don't think Journeyman's Amazon suggestion does the job as I do not think a momentary switch is the same as a NVR (no volt release) switch, the idea of the latter being that if I switch my pillar drill off at the wall socket and then switch it back on at the socket the next day the drill will not start up and surprise me. Why the hell I would do that I don't know, but in my case any degree of idiot proofing is welcome and appropriate!

Still hunting for a supply of surface mount boxes in which to mount all those flush mount switches. I suspect they are so cheap they are not worth anyone's while stocking them for retail.

The internet's wonderful in many ways, but I had hoped to go to a local trade counter and get hold of one of these things before buying. Does that make me an old fart?

16/10/2019 09:58:38

I am wanting to fit a surface mounted NVR switch to both my Myford Lathe and Fobco drill. Ideally they will have on, off and emergency off buttons like the Axminster item here https://www.axminster.co.uk/kedu-nvr-switch-230v-1ph-e-stop-200093.

I can't believe I'm doing anything out of the ordinary, but this seems to be the only product available, since all other offerings are flush mounted and searching for "surface mount switch box", "pattress box" etc yields no results. Obviously I can make something up to attach any switch to, but I wanted a "proper job" with knock outs to install cable conduit.

Am I missing a trick here, or is the Axminster item the sole contender?

Thread: Free software and human nature
12/10/2019 23:13:51

Hello Clive

Like the NHS, many do not value what is free. People seem to be less considerate of each other in anonymous cyber space than when face to face. Depressing to think that perhaps the internet discloses our true selves?

Thread: Changing internet providers
12/10/2019 21:23:28

I was bombarded with Virgin bumph for several years and always ignored it as the change seemed expensive, although I frequently checked their website, so they knew I was in the market. Eventually a real live human being knocked on my door and signed me up at £20 a month on a reduced speed and capped data limit, which was good enough for me.

I think we need to get smarter at beating their algorithms. My wife went onto a posh website to buy a jersey for a friend but did not complete the payment bit at the end. Next thing she gets an email with a 20% discount code. Just like in the souk it pays to walk away!

Thread: Tingling from Myford Super 7
12/10/2019 13:28:50

Emgee wrote: "Colin, you say the electrician is sorting out the house installation but earlier it was stated the lathe is in the workshop, is the electrician now going to treat the workshop as a separate installation with it's own supply, distribution unit and earthing arrangement ?"

The garage/ workshop is part of the house so is spurred off the ground floor socket circuit. The lathe is the far point from the distribution board, which was a new installation 17 years ago. There would be a benefit to having an isolation switch for the whole workshop, but I am not sure about the benefits of having a separate supply as Emgee suggests?

If there is a benefit, now is the time to do it of course.

Edited By Colin Wilks on 12/10/2019 13:29:45

11/10/2019 11:48:14

Got that thanks. We have an electrician on site sorting the house installation.

11/10/2019 11:48:08

Got that thanks. We have an electrician on site sorting the house installation.

11/10/2019 11:41:08

I intend getting the motor checked out and then rewiring the lathe. As I understand it there are three items that need earthing in common to the house earth, motor, lathe itself and Dewurst switch. They say things come in threes and I've just had a call from the builder saying there's a huming from the garage. On investigation he says it's coming from a battery charger which is completely disconnected! I've asked him to stow it safely away from the house just in case.

10/10/2019 16:42:21

We isolated the problem to an old bit of wiring which the electrician had decided to reuse when we last had work done 17 years ago (it was routed under some concrete). That will be rewired in its entirety which should fix things. There was resistance between the live and earth. The builders have been using a Kango hammer, so I suspect the vibration from this has precipitated an accident that was waiting to happen.

08/10/2019 10:33:51

In the UK at Leeds. We have the builders in at present and the electrics started tripping yesterday. Got the sparks on site today to trace the fault. The garage / workshop is now totally isolated from the circuit and the general fault is still there, so this may well be a combination of a number of separate faults confusing the picture. I'll report back if I find something wrong with the lathe. I think the way forward is to test the motor and then rewire the lathe when I install the NVR switch.

07/10/2019 20:42:32

As stated the lathe is unplugged and will not be used until properly checked. However, to clarify, the tingling I felt occurred some thirty minutes after the lathe had been switched off at the 13 amp socket, although the plug was still in. Prior to this the switch had been operating correctly. Slightly foxed.

07/10/2019 15:32:24

Many thanks everyone. Lathe is unplugged and out of bounds until I've got the circuitry checked out professionally.

Simon, thanks for the offer, but I'm in Leeds so it's a bit of a trek for you!

Edited By Colin Wilks on 07/10/2019 15:47:17

07/10/2019 12:32:23

The Dewhurst switch on my Super 7 started to deteriorate to the point where the motor was struggling to start. I have stripped it down, cleaned all the contacts and replaced one with a spare, and the switch is now operating correctly.

From reading it seems it is best to leave the Dewhurst for selecting forward or reverse whilst powered off and then switch power on and of via a NVR (no voltage release) switch. I am sourcing one of these but for now am switching the lathe motor on and off via the 13 amp plug socket switch.

Question: after switching everything off this morning I touched the top of the Dewhurst switch housing and felt a very mild tingle, which disappeared after a short while. The motor is a Crompton Parkinson .75 bhp 1425 rpm 220 volt unit which is earthed to the lathe cabinet and to the domestic circuit earth. It starts by engaging a centrifugal switch which I can hear resetting itself as the motor slows down when switched off. Is the tingling I'm getting some residual current from the starting condenser and is it something to worry about?

Thread: Newbie with a chuck query
07/10/2019 12:15:03

As predicted, I spent £100 on a new 3 jaw from RDG. Does the job for me very well, and in the interim I have become reasonably proficient at dialling in work in the 4 jaw chuck, so my times not been wasted!

Many thanks to everyone for the advice and encouragement.

26/03/2019 18:05:06

I'm not too worried about the odd pinion but the jaws are a mismatch, 1 x 103522 plus 2 x 111218. I've got a Dremel and can set it up to grind the jaws, but for now I'm going to strip the chuck down and clean it out and go through the large box of various bits that came with the lathe. The third 111218 may just be lurking somewhere! I have a feeling Chris Trice is correct and a new chuck will be the outcome, but this one needs cleaning out anyway, so I have nothing to lose by stripping it and seeing where I get to.

Many thanks for all the interest and advice. I'll come back and let you know what happens.

Colin

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Engineer or Model Engineers' Workshop? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Engineer & Model Engineers' Workshop

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
emcomachinetools
cowells
ChesterUK
Ausee.com.au
Eccentric July 5 2018
Allendale Electronics
Warco
mid gard rail Jan 2020
Eccentric Engineering
Subscription Offer

Latest "For Sale" Ads
Latest "Wanted" Ads
Get In Touch!

Do you want to contact the Model Engineer and Model Engineers' Workshop team?

You can contact us by phone, mail or email about the magazines including becoming a contributor, submitting reader's letters or making queries about articles. You can also get in touch about this website, advertising or other general issues.

Click THIS LINK for full contact details.

For subscription issues please see THIS LINK.

Digital Back Issues

Social Media online

'Like' us on Facebook
Follow us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter
 Twitter Logo

Pin us on Pinterest