By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Member postings for Lee Rogers

Here is a list of all the postings Lee Rogers has made in our forums. Click on a thread name to jump to the thread.

Thread: Silver Steel
26/11/2021 07:38:55

There was more to Faraday than just engineering he was something of a social reformer too. He became aware that many of the lower paid workers at the institute were ill nourished and went without a decent lunch so upon his direction employees at the Institute had a free lunch every day. I think in later years it was heavily subsidised A practice that only ceased recently when the tax man got his teeth into the benefit. Great man, MF not the tax man.

Thread: Solid Edge - Community Edition
15/11/2021 09:16:29
Posted by SillyOldDuffer on 14/11/2021 17:48:46:
Posted by Lee Rogers on 14/11/2021 17:17:53:

Why is it refered to as 3D ? It's flat so is it not isometric projection? Another dumming down by techies in ''Merica ?

Naw, techies never get anything wrong

Dave

Dave , your spot on with your patient explanation in response to my mini rant. Just don't get me started on router or airplane.

14/11/2021 17:17:53

Why is it refered to as 3D ? It's flat so is it not isometric projection? Another dumming down by techies in ''Merica ?

Thread: Parkinsons
08/11/2021 08:33:25

Chris ,I'm sure it hasn't escaped your notice but the common thread here is that Parkinsons will take a variety of courses in different people. Diagnosis is vital since there are many other neuro conditions that may initially present as Parkinsons, so good to know that you are in good hands on that score. All the best to you and keep going with the spanners.

Thread: I'm behind the times
31/10/2021 12:54:57

So according to wikipedia '' the term GMT should not be used for anything requiring precision''.

So the next time I trim half a foot too much from the Privet hedge I'll call it 6 inches and all will be fine?

Thread: Drummond lathe
27/10/2021 15:01:52

Yes both groups are a mine of good info and friendly too. The facebook group are an easy going and theres no such thing as a stupid question . As for your new lathe , make sure that you know what should be with it. We regularly see lathes advertised as complete but lacking changewheels, backgear and all manor of other smaller parts. Be wary of a machine thats been run direct from the motor without a countershaft, it's a bearing killer. The Drummond M became the Myford M and fair to say the Myford M was the best of the bunch being fully developed to include a few usefull extras, and as said by Rob Mcsweeny all described on Tony Griffiths Lathes.co.uk site. Good luck and above all enjoy.

Thread: Ferrous, facing, HSS tool geometry
24/10/2021 15:59:33

Buy a jewelers loup to use for tool inspection and get the edge as crisp as you can but don't get hung up on precise angles. If the book says 17deg ,14 to 20 will probably be ok 90% of the time . A tiny radius with a hand stone is as much as I ever do. Above all enjoy the day when you turn out a perfect finish with a tool that you made .

Thread: Rust Protection
24/10/2021 15:46:53

Dehumidifier as above works for me. Time is tight for many of us but I also stick my head round the door and give it all a quick spray over with WD or similar every 3 or 4 days as required, no need to make a mission of the task just do it regularly.

Thread: Looking for dimensions/Drummond gear change fork
23/10/2021 16:11:02
Posted by DiogenesII on 23/10/2021 11:16:51:

Think this is for the OP's Type B?

Er, Ady, (and others?), do you think the M type (or any other Drmd. fitment) might be the same?

Edited By DiogenesII on 23/10/2021 11:17:39

Edited By DiogenesII on 23/10/2021 11:20:41

Round bed , Pre B, Btype and M are all different. Your best bet is to keep an eye out for a donor lathe .

This is how I ended up with 6 1/2 B types but in the end it is an economical way of stocking up on spares .

theres a healthy market for anything you don't need.

23/10/2021 16:10:44
Posted by DiogenesII on 23/10/2021 11:16:51:

Think this is for the OP's Type B?

Er, Ady, (and others?), do you think the M type (or any other Drmd. fitment) might be the same?

Edited By DiogenesII on 23/10/2021 11:17:39

Edited By DiogenesII on 23/10/2021 11:20:41

Round bed Pre B, Btype and M are all different. Your best bet is to keep an eye out for a donor lathe .

This is how I ended up with 6 1/2 B types but in the end it is an economical way of stocking up on spares .

theres a healthy market for anything you don't need.

Thread: What lathe does this steady rest fit?
06/10/2021 08:06:38

Am I missing something here? As a steady it's orientated the wrong way, can't say I've ever seen one like it.

Thread: Grinding tool bits
01/10/2021 17:18:37

There is always a place for HSS tool bits in your kit and the satisfaction gained from a well finished part made with a tool that you also made is for me the best part of the hobby.

Thread: Chatter/finish problem
27/09/2021 11:29:37

End float is the usual suspect. You don't say what type the lathe is , if you don't know post a pic of the entire lathe. Some small English lathes have a bronze washer as a thrust bearing others have a needle roller. If it's the washer type a conversion to needle roller is often an easy fix and worth doing.

Thread: Zyto Lathe
27/09/2021 11:21:31

Nice old Zyto . They do have quite a following , FB Zyto group is a spin off from the Drummond group , nice bunch always keen to help and always looking for a new project. A very capable lathe for its size , I know of one that still earns its keep repairing sewing machines in Lutons rag trade district.

£200 sounds about right .

Thread: Aircraft General Discussion
27/09/2021 11:00:53

There was a James Bond fly/ drive in at Shuttleworth. Autogyros and Astons.

Thread: Apple recipes
16/09/2021 10:35:05
Posted by Nick Clarke 3 on 15/09/2021 13:23:58:
Posted by Lee Rogers on 15/09/2021 12:56:06:

So how come neither of my daughters (both in their early 20s) appear to accept that I know anything about anything??

I even get corrected when they ask for money or a lift and I say no. Apparently that is not the right answer!

Love them to bits but at times can scream! laugh

Edited By Nick Clarke 3 on 15/09/2021 13:24:29

Only a guess ,but certainly relevant to the thread , It sounds like you've been feeding them, same mistake that I made.

15/09/2021 12:57:26

Very nice pud that , I'd serve that any time and be proud.

15/09/2021 12:56:06
Posted by J Hancock on 14/09/2021 18:29:41:

Well done , we're not 'just' engineers , would Jamie Oliver do as well making a rhombic drive hot-air engine I wonder ?

I've been cheffing since long before Jamie O ( who is a good lad ) was born.

The thing is that being Head Chef is like being a dad, they expect you to know the answer to everything .

So, bring on the engine and I'll see what I can do on the old Drummone and the ETA. You just be sure to

leave a good tip.

Thread: THREAD IDENTIFICATION
30/07/2021 12:34:54

1/2 inch 26 tpi would be BSB ( British Standard Brass ). It's so close that I wonder if another look ar the tpi might be worth a go?

Thread: Aluminium
20/07/2021 08:32:07

You may find that as with all things the spec will be a compromise of what you want and what you can get .

First , if anyone says ''aircraft grade'' move on. A generally spurious term meaning very little of importance.

6082T6 is a good compromise of all the qualities you require . It will anneal and work harden back to a decent strength but design should negate the needwhere you can, it's available in thin gague (get the thinnest that you can) and it's cheap as chips compared to some other options .

You will need to design the stiffness of the part into it with flutes, folds and ribs , if you use sheet that's thick enough to do without you will never bend it succesfully without an industrial press. Light aircraft use 6061T6 because it's available down to 35 thou thickness , has reasonable workability and reasonable corrosion resistance ,is fairly strong , but not the best in any of those qualities.

Auminium warehouse at Wellham Green Hatfield do a cut to size service and are good to deal with , no connection just a happy repeat customer.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Engineer or Model Engineers' Workshop? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Engineer & Model Engineers' Workshop

Support Our Partners
walker midge
JD Metals
rapid Direct
cowells
emcomachinetools
Eccentric July 5 2018
Warco
Eccentric Engineering
Subscription Offer

Latest "Wanted" Ads
Get In Touch!

Do you want to contact the Model Engineer and Model Engineers' Workshop team?

You can contact us by phone, mail or email about the magazines including becoming a contributor, submitting reader's letters or making queries about articles. You can also get in touch about this website, advertising or other general issues.

Click THIS LINK for full contact details.

For subscription issues please see THIS LINK.

Digital Back Issues

Social Media online

'Like' us on Facebook
Follow us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter
 Twitter Logo

Pin us on Pinterest