By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Member postings for Lee Rogers

Here is a list of all the postings Lee Rogers has made in our forums. Click on a thread name to jump to the thread.

Thread: Ml2
06/05/2021 21:07:44
Posted by roy entwistle on 06/05/2021 20:04:03:

Is there by any chance another grub screw in either of the holes that you have removed one from ?

Spot on from Roy . On any old machine always check for a second grubscrew. Clean anything that may conceal a taper pin and touch it over with a marker pen, wipe the ink off and look for a tell tale mark is another regular check(not your problem here though I guess).

Thread: Unknown Micrometer make
04/05/2021 07:30:10
Posted by Speedy Builder5 on 04/05/2021 06:36:00:

Could be an apprentice toolmaker exercise ?

40 tpi thread . Not too difficult to do , it would be my choice if I had to make a mic.

Thread: Care home fees and what they want.'
28/04/2021 08:41:46

There are a number of benefits that may or may not be available for your mother. Attendance allowance ,and continuing nursing care may be possible. My advice is to contact one of the help organisations for dementia or altzheimers. They will be able to guide you through what is your right and what may be available in the near future. Particularly if she has a combination of chronic conditions . Chronic arthritis combined with diabetes , makes for a complex care regimen and this should be NHS funded ( I use those 2 conditions just as an example ,you need proffessional advice) Do not rely on local government or social services to advise you ,they will avoid pointing you towards costly (to them) options.

Thread: B&D workmate
25/04/2021 18:50:53

After nearly losing a finger for about the fith time I junked a clone version and got a Bosch. Very expensive but I'll never regret it

Thread: Brazil Nuts [the dynamic behaviour of]
23/04/2021 09:26:14

dont know

Oh heck ... have they moved the University of Manchester over to California ?

MichaelG.

No but there are limits on where I'm prepared to do this ''work''

Thread: New EBay payment regime
23/04/2021 09:22:51

I've had 2 sales to the same person on the same day ,one paid out on paypal the other on the new system. Took a bit of head scratching to sort it out because they were both for the same amount. The ebay site is a monster of a thing , I doubt that anyone is fully aware of how it works. Worryingly I recon the same applies to much of the banking system.

Thread: Brazil Nuts [the dynamic behaviour of]
22/04/2021 10:37:12

It's at this point that I ponder why I've spent over 40 years working my nuts off.

Why wasn't I sat down in a university in California musing over the finer poins of nut

behaviour? Pop out the odd funding request , ponder the nuts a bit, all the while keeping

an eye on the surf reports, dirty work but I'd be dilligent.

Thread: TBM Avenger emergency landing
19/04/2021 10:56:22

Just about as tidy as a ditching gets, some cool calm skill displayed there. He fared a bit better than the Tiger clubs Turbulent did in a very similar incident .

Thread: Myford Backplate tapered thread size
16/04/2021 08:40:44

Yes I'll go with the ML 4 as a best guess so far . The identifying detail is in the headstock and leadscrew attachments and the tailstock. The foundry patern numbers are as Hopper says a constant blind alley when identifying the 1234 series of lathes. Don't expect it to take off huge chunks with an insert tool and you'll find it does a tidy job when set up. The thing with these very light lathes is that everything takes twice as long to do , I recon that means they're twice the fun.

15/04/2021 19:02:25

I'm leaning towards the thought that you have an ML in the series 2--3 or 4. Notorious for the variety of meaningless foundry numbers cast into the bed . Add to that a few decades of user mods and upgrades and you have a puzzle on your hands. There is no such lathe as a Myford D1. A picture or two would help .

Thread: Lathe drive motor
11/04/2021 14:08:07

Sorry to say that I think John Haine has hit the nail on the head . also even though it's a small lathe 1/6 hp is a bit on the light side . I'be looking at 1/4 hp minimum but I'd go for 1/2 hp if I have a choice , simply because the motor would be more versatile if it was moved on in the future.

Thread: Hello everyone; Engineering equipment for sale
31/03/2021 15:16:59

Jonathon . Sorry to hear of your loss. You may find that the various enthusiast groups on facebook( Myford, Drummond, Boxford, steam , etc) are another good place to post items for sale. Contrary to some opinions there are some decent people to be found there.

Thread: Tea Spoons
25/03/2021 22:28:00
Posted by Emgee on 23/03/2021 11:18:18:
Posted by Trevor Drabble on 23/03/2021 11:11:15:

Good old common Domestic bleach does it for me .

Does it for me to, especially useful to get the cups and mugs as new.

Emgee

Dreadful stuff , not allowed in commercial kitchens for good reason. It is inefective as a cleaner , all it does is change the colour of the dirt .

Thread: How many gliders have engines?
24/03/2021 14:00:43

Known as an SLMG Self Launching Motor Glider . It requires a licence rating PPLSLMG to fly it . They have been around for over 50 years now. Retractable motors can be of the self launching type or sustainers that will not allow a take off but have enough power to avoid an outlanding. Outlandings can be hairy with 30m of wings and glide ratio better than 50 : 1 so sustainers have gained popularity. Self launching 2 seaters are popular for circuit bashing allowing many more launches in a day.

Thread: Umpteenth mystery object
19/03/2021 07:55:08
Posted by Speedy Builder5 on 19/03/2021 07:06:47:

Looks like something from the food industry - bacon slicer?

Good call I think your right . The giveaway is the long black handle and the locating bolt is captive in a sliding slot on the rectangular bracket. Bloody horrible things to clean after use , they have dissapeared from many kitchens due to accidents when removing the blade .

Thread: Antikythera solved ?
13/03/2021 17:55:51
Posted by Michael Gilligan on 13/03/2021 09:53:17:
Posted by David Colwill on 13/03/2021 07:34:27:

As an avid (or so I thought {but clearly not compared to Michael and Sam}) I was under the impression that the work of Chris at clickspring was not related to the work by Tony Freeth. If so, this would mean that the BBC article doesn't tell the whole story.

Can someone clarify this?

David.

Sadly this is a common occurrence in news reporting. If ever a news report turns up that I have some personal knowledge of I am appalled by the lack of accuracy and understanding shown.

I think it was clarified in the recent thread that I started, David

Clickspring is one of the contributing authors of the work documented in HJ.

BBC articles rarely tell the whole story !

MichaelG.

Thread: Part of a series on a two stroke engine
11/03/2021 18:24:27

Howard Lewis. It's a long running tube channel , the ''moped'' is in fact a Bonneville type speed record machine. Some very interesting stuff like 2 stroke theory and home plating of aluminium cylinders.

Thread: Machining phosphor bronzes
04/03/2021 07:55:28

Try a pilot hole no larger than the web on the next drill , it will reduce the tendancy to grab and pull in, and don't spare the cutting fluid. I've also heard that stopping occasionally and cooling the job helps reduce the grabbing. Cutwell do drills with a modified profile for bronze can't say I've used one though.

Thread: Aircraft General Discussion
27/02/2021 12:47:33
Posted by Michael Gilligan on 27/02/2021 11:44:49:

Just stumbled across this Vulcan footage: **LINK**

https://youtu.be/IYRKFkkyxh0

... it was ‘recommended’ in the side-bar whilst I was watching a microscopy video !

MichaelG.

It's a good clip , one of that channels better effors but the Channel Dark Skies is I'm afraid not a go to channel for accurate historical fact . Theres a WW1 anti Zeppelin raid video that shows men staring into radar screens among other howlers.

Thread: ML7 Hand Crank / Wheel?
23/02/2021 18:38:42

Who cares if it's safe or not? It looks brilliant. Got me thinking along the same lines , ships wheel for my Admiralty Drummond.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Engineer or Model Engineers' Workshop? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Engineer & Model Engineers' Workshop

Support Our Partners
ChesterUK
cowells
emcomachinetools
JD Metals
Warco
Eccentric July 5 2018
Eccentric Engineering
Subscription Offer

Latest "For Sale" Ads
Latest "Wanted" Ads
Get In Touch!

Do you want to contact the Model Engineer and Model Engineers' Workshop team?

You can contact us by phone, mail or email about the magazines including becoming a contributor, submitting reader's letters or making queries about articles. You can also get in touch about this website, advertising or other general issues.

Click THIS LINK for full contact details.

For subscription issues please see THIS LINK.

Digital Back Issues

Social Media online

'Like' us on Facebook
Follow us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter
 Twitter Logo

Pin us on Pinterest