By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Member postings for Lee Rogers

Here is a list of all the postings Lee Rogers has made in our forums. Click on a thread name to jump to the thread.

Thread: [Project 2] Machinist Jacks
25/05/2020 17:59:21

Nice one. Some jacks have been on my list for a while now , I will get round to it.

Thread: Strange WW1 Chuck - 1MT
23/05/2020 13:06:11

There was one of these with the Drummond Admiralty B type that I restored. I understand that it was supplied by Drummond with the lathe. Lovely chunky bit of kit but looked out of place on the 1MT.

Thread: Aircraft General Discussion
18/05/2020 08:57:32
Posted by David T on 31/03/2020 19:29:32:
Posted by martin perman on 31/03/2020 17:25:31:
Posted by David T on 31/03/2020 14:09:35:

Did I just see an RAF Globemaster go into Southend airport??

Shortly followed by a second one

Edited By David T on 31/03/2020 14:32:21

Did they look like these **LINK**

Can't remember if it was the same day but one did several touch and goes at Luton. Caused quite a stir in the area. Mostly with people who had never seen a Victor with a Blue Steel half out of the bomb bay coming out of Radlet.

Martin P

Definitely a Globemaster, but it turns out it was doing touch-and-go’s, so I may have just seen the same one twice.

Thread: Drummond/Myford M Type
02/05/2020 12:52:19

If you want a fixed steady while your searching for an original it's fairly easy to adapt some of the Modern mini-lathe ones . I don't think I've ever seen an original fixed steady so good luck with that. The original traveling steady was a fairly poor item ,if I wanted one I'd make it. Tumble reverse go for about £90 to £100 and are sought after items as they also fit the B and pre B Type. A member on the FB group milled the usually cast part and that works well.

Thread: Carriage movement varies along the bed
28/04/2020 08:49:56

So . How do you get around the problem without a complete re grind of the bed . First it may not be as bad as you think because you may not use all of the bed that often. Set the gibs while close in to the chuck and live with it. Also if your not using the leadscrew to feed, lock the carriage and any other motion your not using for the cut. There is info out there on the correct measurements of the 7 bed, have a look and compare to yours . ML 7s are notorious for being subject to paint-pot restorations and that's why imports are so popular.

Thread: Interesting Marking-out Tool
21/04/2020 18:07:48

A good pastry chef would recognise that as similar to a strip cutter . Cant say I've used one in 45 years at the stove , one tends to train the eye to do with as few gadgets as possible.

Thread: Amolco DRO
19/04/2020 15:40:55

Thanks Mike , no problem with the album pics and they confirm my thoughts on the problem. I am going to lose a little travel but I think the benefits outweigh the loss. I'm 10 minutes drive from Chronos but of course I can't go there for a looksee and measure up, very frustrating.

17/04/2020 08:14:38

I have an Amolco free standing mill and am looking to fit a 2 axis DRO. Has anyone done this ? There's not a lot of space to play with and travel is already quite limited. Also do I go for glass or magnetic scales?

Thread: Amolco DRO
17/04/2020 08:14:34

Edited By Lee Rogers on 17/04/2020 08:17:26

Thread: Any ideas please
25/03/2020 22:36:19

Make sure the trap is firmly held down. maybe screwed to a board , whatever bait you use try to fix it firmly to the trap. For squirrels I put the trap on safe for a few days to let them get used to it , your less likely to get escapers if they are confident. Last resort I apply pellets with a Walther .

Thread: Mod to M Type Myford lathe traverse handle.
18/03/2020 10:16:29

I've also been following this on the Drummond group. A very tidy job and it does show that the amount of work involved is considerable. Worth it though, an M Type that can give an ML7 a run for its money !

Thread: Toolpost question
13/03/2020 10:14:15

I'll second that and please do post and let us know how you get on with it . I'm a Drummond user and tool post rigidity is key to getting these little lathes to work well. The M type is more capable in some respects than an ML7 but a rigid set up is vital.

Thread: Milling without a milling machine
13/03/2020 10:04:15

I think the above comment about the Meddings conversion says it all really . The old meddings is built like a tank compared to a hobby pillar drill. For very small jobs a milling slide on your lathe will do the trick but only if you appreciate its limitations.

Thread: Amolco milling machine
12/03/2020 18:33:39

I do nicely with an MT2 ER25 collett chuck , it does reduce the available height a bit but I can live with that. Locking the motions not in use can be a pain because they are all allen screws A mod to a more convenient handle or knob may worth the trouble particularly on the vertical slide.

Thread: Help pls what lathe is this
10/03/2020 10:07:11

As suggested by previous posts Smart and Brown tool room lathe . Stedall is just the supplier . Very good machine , built like a tank and capable of very accurate work when in fine fettle.

Thread: D H Gipsy mk1
08/03/2020 23:56:48
Posted by noel shelley on 08/03/2020 22:44:27:

What a work of art ! Do they run inverted and if so how do you stop the lube oil from gathering in the back of the piston ? Asked this question at RAF Cosford, but no one could tell me. Many thanks Noel

The answer is you live with it. Mags off and a couple of careful pulls through on the prop before you try to start it. An experienced person would know by the feel of it that all was well or not so. Starting on a cold morning was often far from easy, all part of the fun. What you wouldn't want to hand swing was a metal Fairey prop , tough on the hands.

Thread: Ebay Chancers
01/03/2020 16:08:14

You see the same problem time and again with lathes and other machines. The Ebay algorithm convinces sellers that their clapped out ML7 is worth the same as one with all the bells, whistles, chucks and hand maidens .

Thread: D H Gipsy mk1
01/03/2020 15:45:42

Thanks for posting this. Memories of freezing cold mornings standing on the cowling and trying to undo the fuel cap with a heavy brass spanner.

Thread: Recovering from disaster
20/02/2020 16:03:04

If your making an insurance claim you would do well to look into employing your own loss adjuster. The insurance company will send an assessor and they will do their best to mug you. You don't have to take it lying down. A loss adjuster employed by you will fight for your case and charge the insurance company (not you) for the privilege . Very often just the mention of loss adjusters will put the wind up your insurance company to the extent that they will quickly see reason and up their offer.

Thread: Weight and transportability of a Myford lathe
27/01/2020 13:12:45

Give some thought to what the lathe sits on in your car. My Saabs boot has had 3 Drummonds in it at once but only after I had fitted a 3/4 inch ply liner in. There was sill one lathe in there when I got a puncture, I'm sure you get the picture. Parked on the high street heaving a lathe around and changing the wheel. lucky not to get arrested for the swearing.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Engineer or Model Engineers' Workshop? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Engineer & Model Engineers' Workshop

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
emcomachinetools
Eccentric July 5 2018
Warco
Allendale Electronics
cowells
Ausee.com.au
ChesterUK
Eccentric Engineering
Subscription Offer

Latest "For Sale" Ads
Latest "Wanted" Ads
Get In Touch!

Do you want to contact the Model Engineer and Model Engineers' Workshop team?

You can contact us by phone, mail or email about the magazines including becoming a contributor, submitting reader's letters or making queries about articles. You can also get in touch about this website, advertising or other general issues.

Click THIS LINK for full contact details.

For subscription issues please see THIS LINK.

Digital Back Issues

Social Media online

'Like' us on Facebook
Follow us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter
 Twitter Logo

Pin us on Pinterest