By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Member postings for Lee Rogers

Here is a list of all the postings Lee Rogers has made in our forums. Click on a thread name to jump to the thread.

Thread: What rivet to use to join aluminium?
14/09/2020 08:50:58

A few soft solid rivets and if you want belt and braces bond it as well. The bonding + rivets method would allow the use of less rivets and resist peel loads .

Thread: Locked out of the lathe
02/09/2020 12:18:11

If it's fs fp locker type key anything that is similar has a good chance of doing it. I have the same problem occasionally in my job so I carry 3 odd keys and that does the trick 9 times out of 10. Old Austin, Morris etc car keys are the same.

It's actually worth trying anything that will fit in the lock without force then give it a gentle tweek. When trying other similar keys rake the key in and out with a bit of welly between trial turns of the key, give it several goes before moving on .

Thread: Drummond Lathe
28/08/2020 09:47:14
Posted by Ady1 on 27/08/2020 20:00:11:

Lots of M users about

Headstock stripdown here

I believe there is a yahoo site out there

I turfed all my headstock piccies here

edit: anyone anysite that wants them can use/store them, the more the merrier imo

Edited By Ady1 on 27/08/2020 20:02:16

The entire Yahoo forum site is now defunct and unsupported . Facebook and the other one are good groups , friendly bunch.

Thread: Help with lathe valuation - First post, be gentle!
22/08/2020 16:19:06

I'm inclined to agree with the half the new cost valuation. Just at the moment there is a glut of good workshop machinery going for a song . ML7 for £300 anybody? Plenty more out there in the £400 to £500 range that would have made £700 ten months ago. Ebay with a starting price of £299 and put it on for ten days ending on a Sunday late afternoon and you'll find out what it's worth today. All a sign of the times I'm afraid.

Thread: recommendations for used lathes?
16/08/2020 00:35:56

Right now you are in the best buyers market that we have seen for a very long time. Lathes that would have seen £900+ ten months ago are changing hands for half that. I've just bought a lathe that I'd have given £300 for last year for £150. Follow the advise above and go for the hard bargain. Walk away from the dreamers and trade chancers, there's plenty more coming along soon.

Thread: Covid virus and oil
05/08/2020 11:22:55
Posted by SillyOldDuffer on 03/08/2020 14:50:20:

Well, the US Centre for Disease Control recommended about 20 products capable of killing Coronavirus. None of them are oils and I can't think of a reason why oil would particularly worry a virus.

Things that work: Soap and Water ; Bleach ; 70% Alcohol; > 0.5% Hydrogen Peroxide; Phenol. Apart from Soap these are all active chemicals. Oh, and heat - say 40°C.

Things that don't work: Antibiotics; and most Disinfectants, Antiseptics & Germicides.

Much depends on the make up of the virus' skin. Like all living things it has a layer protecting it from the environment. As oil and grease are much used by Mother Nature as protectives, it's unlikely that oil would do much damage, unless the oil was a light solvent. Maybe petrol, naptha, Hexane or Benzene.

No shortage of strong chemicals capable of killing Covid-19, unfortunately most of them are downright dangerous to people too.

Dave

Don't know where you get the idea that disinfectants don't work . They do .

The sanitisers used in catering ( pink liquid spray bottle by the trolleys at your supermarket) have the advantage that they remain effective for 24 hours on hard surfaces. Some washing up liquids have the same 24h residual .

The confusion here is that many sanitisers are not great cleaners but that's not what they are for.

Bleach is a fairly useless cleaner /sanitiser and is actually banned from many companies due to it's danger in use and ineffectiveness. It will take the colour out of detritis but not always remove it , so the breeding ground remains in tact.

What should we do?

keep hands away from the face, wash or sanitise hands regularly especially after contact with the face. Sanitise hard surfaces twice a day with 24h residual product.

Thread: Spectacles and solder.
04/08/2020 09:26:47
Posted by Robert Atkinson 2 on 04/08/2020 08:44:36:

The UV curing glues based on dental cement work well for this, They can be built up and mouled into a thick fully cured layer. In your case solder it again to locate and hold and then build up the glue to add support.

Do it neatly across the bridge and both sides and it won't look so much like a repair.

Robert G8RPI

I've seen the miracle claiming advertisments for the UV glue . So it is good stuff? Where do you buy from?

04/08/2020 08:33:58

First set the specs up in position with plasticine or whatever and bond the joint with a suitable cyano, loctite , superglue type adhesive. Once it has set make a splint from hard wire (paper clip or safety pin ) and bond that in place with the superglue. Once set you can then apply a thin coat of 2 part epoxy over the entire repair allow to set and repeat untill a layer of epoxy has built up over the entire repair. Superglue is useless on it's own and the area of the break is too small to repair without the splint to spread the load. My £££ varifocal ultralights are still going after 3 years.

I keep thinking that it would be a fun project to make some frames from scratch but SWMBO says I'm not allowed .

Thread: How Best to Sell a Clarkson Cutter Grinder & Accessories?
25/07/2020 07:48:11
Posted by Pete Rimmer on 25/07/2020 07:35:31:

For the best return you could list each part separately on eBay. The late clarksons are well sought after and the accessories make very good money. Most of the tool dealers sell the machine bare and the accessories separately because of the money they make.

If you're keen that it should all go in one package and want some valuation advice post the photos in your album here and see what people say. Expect to get a raft of personal messages from people trying to cherry-pick the high value stuff though.

If you're going to sell it complete then www.homeworkshop.co.uk is a great place to list it for free.

P.S for your chisels look around for a viceroy sharpedge.

The link is to a domain name seller.

Edited By Pete Rimmer on 25/07/2020 07:36:39

Thread: Dodgy Lathe on Ebay
23/07/2020 19:28:03

Similar thing happend recently . My restored Drummond Admiralty B Type is Featured on Tonys site with a photo album including one of a letter to the original purchaser on Drummond Headed note paper. This photo lifted from Tonys site was in the ebay ad and he claimed that he had some interesting original documentation. I messaged him and told him to take it down and why. I posted the incident on the Drummond FB group and a guy who had sold the lathe to the ebayer a while ago messaged me and asked for more info. He then contacted the ebayer and had a few words with him.

To say I was hopping mad is an understatement.

Thread: Is This a Tooth?
23/07/2020 17:58:20

Not a tooth , It's a claw . Simillar to one I have .

Thread: Collet Blocks
21/07/2020 18:29:53
Posted by not done it yet on 21/07/2020 16:18:49:

Dunno what’s gone wrong with ‘goggle’, then. First 3 pics, when I searched for “collet blocks for milling machine”, were for ARC products.

I knew I'd seen them somewhere. It seems both me and Google had a brain fail. Thanks chaps.

21/07/2020 11:04:36

Does anyone know of a UK supplier for square and hex collet blocks. I've tried the usual suspects with no luck.

Thread: EN3B Mild Steel is a pain or is it me?
21/07/2020 06:38:39

It's the task that makes a power cross feed worth having. It's the constant smooth feed that makes the difference but the set up must be spot on.

Thread: Silly issue with HBM parting blade
20/07/2020 17:54:11

I have very few insert tools but my Glanze parting tool is one I wouldn't be without. Batten down the hatches , power feed on the crosslide and little Drummond does it's stuff. All that's logical says this is a risky thing to do but I think that it's the steadyness of the feedrate and me concentrating on the cutting oil that does the trick.

Edited By Lee Rogers on 20/07/2020 18:08:55

Thread: Science Museum needs help identifying mystery objects
20/07/2020 08:09:33

The Hobbies fret saw was part of a combination of tools that included a lathe and I think possibly a pillar drill. A bit like the old Coronet set up.

Thread: ML7 3jaw pratt burnard
19/07/2020 19:49:05
Posted by Martin Kyte on 19/07/2020 19:10:36:

You may like to stand out of the firing line with that one.

regards Martin

It has that sudden TWANG look about it .

Thread: Rapide-Lime hand shaper
17/07/2020 11:32:47

I think that's a French machine . I saw one sold about 6-7 years ago. It's in the same class / size range as the Drummond.

Thread: Attempting To Make My (new to me) Zyto Beautiful
17/07/2020 11:29:55

Cracking little lathe, I know of one that is still earning it's keep repairing indusrtial sewing machines.

Thread: Nivellator
16/07/2020 13:48:42

Further to my last post , the standard method of testing parachutes is that daft youth that's always mooching around in the hangar.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Engineer or Model Engineers' Workshop? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Engineer & Model Engineers' Workshop

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
emcomachinetools
Warco
EngineDIY
cowells
ChesterUK
Eccentric July 5 2018
Eccentric Engineering
Subscription Offer

Latest "For Sale" Ads
Latest "Wanted" Ads
Get In Touch!

Do you want to contact the Model Engineer and Model Engineers' Workshop team?

You can contact us by phone, mail or email about the magazines including becoming a contributor, submitting reader's letters or making queries about articles. You can also get in touch about this website, advertising or other general issues.

Click THIS LINK for full contact details.

For subscription issues please see THIS LINK.

Digital Back Issues

Social Media online

'Like' us on Facebook
Follow us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter
 Twitter Logo

Pin us on Pinterest