By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Member postings for Frank Gorse

Here is a list of all the postings Frank Gorse has made in our forums. Click on a thread name to jump to the thread.

Thread: Mild Steel Flat Bar?
21/04/2020 11:02:48

For that quantity gauge plate shouldn’t be too expensive,I think M Machine have it.

Thread: Cowell Hand Shaper
13/04/2020 16:35:53

Double post

Edited By Frank Gorse on 13/04/2020 16:37:03

13/04/2020 16:35:04

Nice paint job,makes mine look very neglected.I’ve never seen the auto downfeed before,presumably a mod by a previous owner? Mine doesn’t have the ball handles on the pivot arm,just hex heads with oil holes. And there's an extra mechanism on the left side with a brown knob on it,what exactly does that do? Regards, Frank

Thread: Macc models
07/04/2020 20:31:18

So Bill,I wonder whether your old granddad would have waited at the bus stop forever without checking that the buses were still running? Definitely a test of personality.

07/04/2020 16:31:50

Just had an email from Joe and confidently expect the missing goods in the next day or two. But this does show the importance of keeping people informed,especially with things as they are at present and after all an email doesn’t take a moment.

07/04/2020 15:23:13

Well either way I’d quite like the rest of the goods I’ve paid for!

07/04/2020 13:58:32

Does anyone know what’s happened to Macc Models? I sent them an order on 24th March,received half of it and was promised the rest ‘asap’

Since then I’ve emailed and tried phoning during office hours but just get their answering machine (which has got me no reply so far). They are still advertising and the recorded message says they’re still taking mail orders.

Thread: Cowell Hand Shaper
31/03/2020 08:25:13

Hi Bob,haven’t got a parts diagram but I have a Cowells in good order so if you need pics or dimensions of specific parts let me know. Is yours the one that was sold recently on epay? Frank

Thread: Centec,again
23/03/2020 11:51:11

Bill,Bill,and Martin,PM’s sent. Frank

Thread: What are you reading?
19/03/2020 19:47:43

Dave,(S.O.D.),

agreed,but don’t forget that Jack and Stephen very nearly fought a duel over a woman. (Diana,if memory serves.Obviously time to re-read)

19/03/2020 18:14:56

It’s obvious that you paid more attention in Biology than French Neil!

I read Wolf Hall ages ago,just after seeing it on the telly,and have just started to read it again. I’ve already got the second book waiting,by the time I get through those the final volume will be in the charity shops.

Also highly recommend the Master and Commander novels,all 20-odd of them,they’ve been described as Jane Austen for blokes and there’s far more to them than was in the film. Should keep you occupied for a few evenings.

Frank

Thread: Does Silver Steel normally look like this?
19/03/2020 10:59:39

Silver steel and gauge plate are usually supplied ‘shiny’ from the grinding process. If this is discoloured because it’s very old stock ,as it may well be,it should be described as such when you buy it. One clue is that silver steel should be accurately sized to half a thou or so,bdms is usually a bit undesize.

Thread: Mechanisms in modern engineering design Artobolevsky
13/01/2020 12:32:48

“Mechanisms...” looks like an excellent source but will somebody please look at fig7 and tell me,is it just me?

Thread: Ornamental Turning
17/11/2019 09:13:48

“Ornamental Turning” by T.D.Walshaw (the proper Tubal Cain,not the American one) has a chapter called ’Ornamental Turning on the Engineer’s lathe’ and is essential reading for anyone who is interested in the subject.

Thread: wire bender
07/09/2019 15:53:40

Duncan,in theory it should be the aluminium being attacked by the copper as copper is much higher up the galvanic hierarchy than aluminium - ally boats,particularly in tropical seawater,suffer terrible damage if painted with anti- fouling containing copper. Perhaps there’s something else going on there.?

Thread: Centec 2A riser block
14/08/2019 17:22:35

Gary has given us the length as 457mm and heights as 114 or127 overall. I’d been assuming they were made from 100x100 which is easy to find but obviously not so ideal mechanically. Next problem for anyone thinking of batch production is the different sizes of dovetail-the overarm bracket on mine would be an extremely tight fit on the v.head,for example. Would it matter if the ‘female’ dovetails were cut a few thou on the large side and a thin gib strip made to take up any difference,we’re only clamping something in place after all,not like the dovetail s on the table. In fact,given that it’s made of aluminium,perhaps a strip of steel or brass would be a good thing.

14/08/2019 15:49:08

Thanks for that Gary,very kind. Frank

13/08/2019 22:33:27

Bill,if you look up “centec raising block” on this site you’ll find a recent discussion about this. A 2b isn’t quite long enough to make the long block so the 2a certainly can’t and there’s no point in having the short block( unless you’re willing to give up the horizontal facility) because of the weight of the vert. head. Still trying to organise getting mine made,I’ll send you a pm tomorrow. Frank

Thread: Guess the Chemical?
28/07/2019 10:18:24

I believe it’s also called di-hydrogen monoxide which sounds very nasty.

Thread: Aldi bargain laser level
17/07/2019 20:09:17

What this thread is short of is a bit of pedantry so may I point out that it’s only an acronym if the letters form a word,such as UNESCO,RADAR etc. Otherwise it’s just a TFLA (three or four letter abbreviation) You’re welcome.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Engineer or Model Engineers' Workshop? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Engineer & Model Engineers' Workshop

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
Ausee.com.au
Eccentric July 5 2018
Warco
Allendale Electronics
ChesterUK
cowells
emcomachinetools
Eccentric Engineering
Subscription Offer

Latest "For Sale" Ads
Latest "Wanted" Ads
Get In Touch!

Do you want to contact the Model Engineer and Model Engineers' Workshop team?

You can contact us by phone, mail or email about the magazines including becoming a contributor, submitting reader's letters or making queries about articles. You can also get in touch about this website, advertising or other general issues.

Click THIS LINK for full contact details.

For subscription issues please see THIS LINK.

Digital Back Issues

Social Media online

'Like' us on Facebook
Follow us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter
 Twitter Logo

Pin us on Pinterest