By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Member postings for Plasma

Here is a list of all the postings Plasma has made in our forums. Click on a thread name to jump to the thread.

Thread: Coronavirus
14/03/2020 19:09:45

Am I missing something?

If normal seasonal flu kills 8000 people in the uk and this covid is not much worse why are we taking such huge measures to control it?

I cant get my head round why the world needs to shut down to such an extent.

I know that percentages are being bandied round along with many more statistics. But it still seems that this thing is no worse than SARS etc. Which did not have anything like the impact.

And I know a flu killed more than the first world war but that was in an age with no real health care.

Is there something we are not being told? Or are we being over cautious for no good reason.

Makes the conspiracy theorists look right for a change.

Mick

Thread: Some very good talent
14/03/2020 19:01:06

Looks a very neat bit of machining. Love the way he marked the characters on the chapter rings with a vice as a press.

Not sure I would want to spend that much time on something you could only store a tenner in lol.

Thread: New storage space
14/03/2020 18:57:01

The 4 ton skip is full to level with the clay capping from inside the room. Just got to sort the level now ready for pouring some ready mix concrete.

It's been a hard few days but I think the worst is all over with for now.

I'll get some help with laying the base but that's the last big job. Then I can just tidy up and store things away.

It's been a good project but hopefully the last big job I will have to do. But her indoors may have other ideas lol.

Mick

Thread: Lucky escape.
14/03/2020 16:18:04

Lucky it's not burned to a cinder! If fire had got hold there would be nothing to film.

I guess it was a relatively small escape of gas based on the limited damage, ie the structure of the cabin is still intact and it looks pretty cosmetic in essence. In the words of sergeant Al Powell on Die hard, "its gonna need a paint job and a shit load of screen doors"

Could have been so much worse so thankfully not a full blown tragedy.

Mick

Thread: New storage space
13/03/2020 19:31:56

This is the 3m long skip conveyor tucked away in the store room. Hired it from Jewson and it's very reasonable and extremely handy.

Used it to load skip and fill a couple of large rubble sacks with broken concrete I can use to improve a footpath near me.

Mick

13/03/2020 19:29:33

20200313_171431.jpg

13/03/2020 19:26:51

Things have moved on a little.

I rented a skip and a conveyor skip loader which has made the job so much easier.

All the concrete oversite has been removed and skipped, the soil is next and I will lose that on my community gardening project.

Made a really strong steel door, locked from the inside with two 40mm box section bars which lock behind the brickwork and hold the door solid with jack screws.

Does anyone have any knowledge of waterproof concrete? I've seen it advertised by cemex as a way to deal with basements without having to put a DPM down first. Might make things easier if it does not cost the earth.

Mick

07/03/2020 09:42:24

The brick brace system was easy to use, if a bit counter intuitive in that you expect something to be propped from below. Didnt have any problems at all using it.

Once the room is finished I will use it for storing my garden bits and bobs. I run a community group looking after the verges and a grassed area near my home and we have mowers and brush cutters etc not to mention Fred the tractor.

Mick

06/03/2020 19:50:57

Took millions of pics to check each step of the process but these are the main ones to show what I have done.

20200306_154513.jpg

20200303_131007.jpg

Edited By JasonB on 06/03/2020 20:39:26

06/03/2020 19:48:33

Hi all,

I am busy at present making a new storage area under my house.

Its built on a hill so has a void beneath one section of the floor about 5 feet deep. The room above is 12 feet square so I have that amount of usable space beneath.

I reasoned that opening up a doorway in the outer wall would allow me access to work in there, sorting out the floor and a steel beam to support the bedroom floor when I remove a sleeper wall.

All has gone well so far, I applied for a building regulation notice to ensure everything was legal and safe. Site inspection by council and away I went.

Cutting the doorway was the most daunting job, I used a system called Brick brace to support the masonry above the opening while I fitted steel lintels to the inner and outer leaf.

Just on with making the steel security door for it now so I will be able to dig out and concrete over the next few weeks.

It wont be high enough to stand up straight in but I want it to store my tractor and other machinery in.

Who knows I might be able to sneak a lathe in there lol.

20200209_170042.jpg

Edited By JasonB on 06/03/2020 20:38:43

Thread: Villiers midget carb query
30/01/2020 18:57:50

Hi all, OD is about half inch. The guy at villiers parts says no one he knows has ever identified the thread. Luckily he had a nut and nipple to suit so I bought that and we are up and running now.

Many thanks for the comments.

Mick

Thread: cross slide, is it Smart & Brown?
30/01/2020 18:55:41

I have a model L surplus to requirements, it has cross slide, part off slide tail stock and capstan unit.

No motor but would suit an inverter drive.

If anyone is interested drop me a pm.

Mick

Thread: Milling machine & Shaper query
27/01/2020 20:42:29

I have vertical and horizontal mills and an Elliott 10M shaper.

Each gets used regularly depending on the job in hand.

I bought the shaper as we were not allowed near the ones at school due to their inherent danger. I always said I'd get one and learn to use it.

The finish beats milling and is the ideal precursor to surface grinding.

Buy one and enjoy a cuppa as it cuts with that previously described washing machine sound.

Mick

Thread: Why does everyone disagree with you
27/01/2020 07:51:00

I agree that there is a definite negative aspect to this forum regarding information or advice.

I dont know why but one feels a sense of dread when venturing an opinion or asking a "stupid" question. Some of the responses make you feel like a schoolboy being paraded in front of the class for his stupidity. We may as well have a little dunce hat icon for clever members to attach to posts which dont meet their standards.

I'm a member of an American forum and it is so different to this one. Universally supportive, knowledgable without being pompous and good natured even when a little fun is injected.

I recently asked for advice on their forum and was inundated with good, practical and some incredibly technical advice. I know I would not have received the same level of support here.

Some of our mandarins need to think before they post in response to others. For example when I know it's a stupid question but I need to know the answer. Or when I am being funny, ironic, a bit cheeky there is no need to bite my head off.

I'm not sure if it's an english thing or a facet of our hobby which sneers at a lack of knowledge. But this kind of thing will kill the hobby. Its the same at clubs; where shall I go for a good argument and a fall out? Oh yes my local ME club.

Theres my two penneth, make of it what you will.

Thread: Villiers midget carb query
25/01/2020 21:45:09

Hi gents,

I'm.currently renovating a 1947 Allen Oxford powered scythe, which has a Villiers 11c engine.

The carburettor has a male threaded fuel inlet rather than a female thread and banjo.

Does anyone have an idea of the thread, its 26 tpi so I'm hoping its gas thread.

Regards

Mick

Thread: Centec 2a Gear Box Oil
21/01/2020 16:27:40

Curiously I have just renovated a 1947 vintage hay mower which has a Villiers 2 stroke petrol engine driving a steel worm and brass wheel transmission.

The manual states to use SAE 30 oil as the 2 stroke mixer, and crucially says to use the same grade of oil in the gear box.

When I stripped it the gear box definitely had thick gear oil in it. Something the manufacturer warned against. Mainly because the internals are splash lubricated.

I would have put money on using a specific gear oil but Pennine lubricants echoed exactly what the engine manufacturer said in 1947.

Bough a 5 litre can of classic car SAE 30 for 24 quid, job done.

Mick

Thread: Making a ring mandrel- jewellery tooling
04/01/2020 09:44:23

Not a bottle opener, just a large choil from knife making terminology.

Would work as a bottle opener though with robust enough metal.

All the tash combs I have seen are wood or plastic, I wanted something with a bit more oomph lol.

Mick

03/01/2020 19:58:37

Unusual jewellery style project here, pair of moustache combs in nickel silver with pearl handle and gold rivets.

File work on the spine of the larger comb.

20191229_161621.jpg

03/01/2020 19:51:44

As an engineering solution I would definitely turn a ring from titanium.

I've made quite a few over the years, both male and female styles.

Heating the titanium when finished gives a beautiful colour finish, but I also file work them for decoration.

It's far easier to make the ring to size on a lathe for me, unless you're going to precious metals and have very deep.pockets.

Mick

Thread: A Question on Bench Blocks
24/12/2019 14:00:19

20191224_130839.jpg

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Engineer or Model Engineers' Workshop? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Engineer & Model Engineers' Workshop

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
emcomachinetools
ChesterUK
Warco
cowells
Eccentric July 5 2018
EngineDIY
Eccentric Engineering
Subscription Offer

Latest "For Sale" Ads
Latest "Wanted" Ads
Get In Touch!

Do you want to contact the Model Engineer and Model Engineers' Workshop team?

You can contact us by phone, mail or email about the magazines including becoming a contributor, submitting reader's letters or making queries about articles. You can also get in touch about this website, advertising or other general issues.

Click THIS LINK for full contact details.

For subscription issues please see THIS LINK.

Digital Back Issues

Social Media online

'Like' us on Facebook
Follow us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter
 Twitter Logo

Pin us on Pinterest