By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Member postings for Plasma

Here is a list of all the postings Plasma has made in our forums. Click on a thread name to jump to the thread.

Thread: Pesky Government Announcement!
20/06/2020 08:52:31

Can I ask a related question? Re the removal of broadcast hardware and software to nullify paying the licence fee.

Long ago we used to have adverts about the TV detector van coming round and catching out unwary women who had not bought a licence (I never dealt with a summons s for a man, always the poor woman of the house).

I also never saw any evidence adduced that they had been caught by said TV detector van.

So was it, as I suspect, an enormous state generated lie?

I can understand radio transmissions being detectable as the opposing sides did in WW2 to locate spies using triangulation.

But I could never see how anyone could use technology to discover I was watching Poldark, in the back room on BBC 2.

Is it just me or were we subject to a fake news campaign to ensure we coughed up every year. Maybe a freedom of information request would work.

Please settle this mystery for my non radio based brain.

Mick

Thread: Colchester Bantam MK1 Help Needed (Shipping Disaster!)
18/06/2020 07:21:40

Not Myford, sorry but there should be suitable parts out there somewhere.

Best regards Mick

18/06/2020 07:19:33

That's a very annoying story, but one which is not unfamiliar to those who have trusted valuable machinery to some of the goons who profess to know what they are doing.

There should be no fight involved, the carrier or packing firm surely are liable and should be paying out.

I hope you can find the necessary parts to restore your purchase, myford spares are plentiful enough so good luck with your fight.

Best regards mick.

Thread: Villiers midget carb query
14/06/2020 17:02:43

As an update I had some problems getting it to run right.

I'm not a whiz with 2 strokes but I was told to re-do the timing from start to finish to make sure it was spot on.

I found I had made a fluff somehow and the timing was out a bit, I completely redid the whole job and now it runs really well.

I'm really pleased I managed to conquer this old tech, never been into bike engines etc so I have learned a lot.

Mick

Thread: Evening all
11/06/2020 19:13:17

Hi Andy,

I was trained in pocket knife making by a Sheffield little mester. Traditional style folding knives and miniature fixed blades.

I still make the occasional knife in between all the other projects.

Let me know what type of knife you make, milling the liners is not something I do but modern makers seem to machine materials a lot more.

Mick

Thread: Machine moving
05/06/2020 22:41:57

Hi all.

Just a note to say I had to move a Naerok centre lathe today from one garage workshop to another several miles distant.

I've shifted plenty of decent sized machines with varying degrees of grunting and groaning.

As this was a larger machine than I am used to playing with I decided it was probably beyond my experience and not worth damaging for the sake of trying to.move it myself.

Today I used Steve Cox of Landylift and I just wanted to say what a pleasure it was to see the job done professionally.

He made it look simple and controlled every stage of the move so carefully.

I have no connection to Steve other than being a very satisfied client with a lathe delivered unharmed.

Mick

Thread: Drill press identification
05/06/2020 22:25:48

It is indeed an Atlas Craftsman Phil P

It's on the Lathes website and the larger belt cover is a feature of industrial production machines to satisfy their safety codes over there.

It was identified by one of their members who is something of a tool expert.

But I found it within the Lathes archive and sent them a screen shot of the catalogue page.

Many thanks to those who contributed.

Mick

05/06/2020 15:38:59

https://www.wheelhorseforum.com/uploads/monthly_2020_06/34BBBD2C-AE59-45D1-A149-DAC19B8C67A5.jpeg.8d4d402c8a5155db1b133550b16e8d87.jpeg

If the link works can anyone have a look at the drill press the owner cant identify. It's in America but may not be an american machine.

Best regards Mick

Thread: garden tractor wheel lug nuts and studs
03/06/2020 09:38:46

Sent you a pm ajax.

Regards

Mick

Thread: Workshop Gloves
31/05/2020 07:25:47

I use gloves in a bottle too, very good barrier cream.

I would never wear gloves when machining, mainly from the safety angle but also due to the loss of "feel" they cause.

I do pop on a pair of those knitted gloves with dipped palms for cleaning down though. Saves the swarf injuries you complain about.

I saw a distressing video on you tube of a bored young man getting dragged into a lathe while spinning a long bar in the chuck using Emery tape to clean it. Pulled him into the gap between the bar and bed. Did not look very healthy at all. Looked like a sweat shop somewhere with no safety concerns.

Eye protection is paramount though. I've spent too long in A&E waiting to have moits fished out when a stray spark has managed to get behind my wrap round specs. Goggles for grinding every time!

By the way last time I got a piece of metal in my eye I went to my optician. There is some kind of agreement in place to take pressure off hospitals for minor eye injuries. They cant remove objects but can assess the situation and if you need hospital then you go with a letter that cuts the waiting time a bit.

Mick

Thread: Paint recommendations
31/05/2020 07:10:15

I used Teal and Mackrill (Teamac) machinery enamel on my lathes and it's really good paint with a great range of colours. It will brush paint and thin fir spraying.

I'm just trying Tractol enamel though and it looks to be very easy to use. Bought it off the bay at 19.99 a litre.

Thread: Optical Chucks
31/05/2020 07:06:08

I found one on ebay for 60 quid, the guy knew it was some kind of optical gadget but not how it worked. Beautiful piece if kit, very useful in the tailstock for centering in the 4 jaw.

Then blow me if I didnt trip over two more in the local tool dealers. I bought one of them for 60 quid as they didnt know what it was either. I left the other for some other lucky finder to drop on. As far as I know it might still be there waiting.

I will post a photo later.

Mick

Thread: Bird (feathered variety) expert(s) wanted.
30/05/2020 13:49:10

I'm just happy to wake up every day, no matter what the time lol.

The blackbirds are supposed to be the first to start singing and the last to finish.

They are a species of thrush, just different colouration.

They dont usyally sing from prominent perches like some birds do so that's why they are hard to spot. We have a blackbird that includes a really good impression of a house alarm in his songs.

Just enjoy their song, you would miss it if it were not there.

Thread: A polite note to beginners from ARC
20/05/2020 15:13:19

ARC are a great set up, I've been buying tools from them for many years and have never been disappointed with my purchases or the service received.

It's such a shame that shows became too much of a bind to attend with stock as it was always good to buy direct and have a chat with the staff.

I hope there will be a lot of similar positive responses to Ketans post to counteract the few negative nigels out there.

Best regards mick

Thread: Aircraft General Discussion
17/05/2020 23:15:03

I have been asked to make a wind vane with a specific aircraft as the pointer.

Cut a silhouette out and wondered if anyone could identify it to make sure I'm.in the ball park.

Please let me know what you think It is.

20200517_194546.jpg

Thread: New storage space
14/05/2020 17:11:54

Well it's just about done.

Just got to relay the block paving outside which had to be lowered to account for the extra headroom..

20200509_144207.jpg

Thread: masks and metal band around nose
08/05/2020 15:42:59

Hi, my wife is making fabric masks and we initially used 1.5mm squared cable. Small eyes formed each end to prevent poking etc.

But now she uses a pattern with no need for any nose piece and it's much easier. They wash too which might have been an issue with the metal ones.

Think of the masks Hawkeye wore on mash, no metal and they were boil washed.

Mick

Thread: New Yorkshireman member
06/05/2020 07:33:46

This is Fred, my Wheelhorse C-125 tractor, rebuilt from a virtual scraper.20200420_115200.jpg

06/05/2020 07:28:33

Hi Olly,

I am in wombwell, tother side of Barnsley.

I have ex training Boxford lathes so cant help with the Chester. But you should be able to get a manual either electronic version or paper. Especially as it's a relatively new machine.

If you need anything turning to get your machine is up and running give me a shout.

I'm a self taught tinkerer not an engineer but I will tackle most things.

Just rebuilt a garden tractor and made lots of replacement parts for it.

See thi after't lock darn.

Mick

Thread: What is it?
19/04/2020 20:42:19

Corner clamps for architrave on door casings.

Simples

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Engineer or Model Engineers' Workshop? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Engineer & Model Engineers' Workshop

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
emcomachinetools
ChesterUK
Warco
cowells
Eccentric July 5 2018
EngineDIY
Eccentric Engineering
Subscription Offer

Latest "For Sale" Ads
Latest "Wanted" Ads
Get In Touch!

Do you want to contact the Model Engineer and Model Engineers' Workshop team?

You can contact us by phone, mail or email about the magazines including becoming a contributor, submitting reader's letters or making queries about articles. You can also get in touch about this website, advertising or other general issues.

Click THIS LINK for full contact details.

For subscription issues please see THIS LINK.

Digital Back Issues

Social Media online

'Like' us on Facebook
Follow us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter
 Twitter Logo

Pin us on Pinterest