By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Member postings for Plasma

Here is a list of all the postings Plasma has made in our forums. Click on a thread name to jump to the thread.

Thread: Fed up of all this wind
15/03/2019 12:59:06

Bazyle, just had a look, it seems a great resource.

I will have a look into it and see if its viable. As regards planning permission.... I always think it's easier to ask forgiveness than to ask for permission 😉

15/03/2019 12:29:55

Well living in south yorks with the foot of the pennines not far to the west of me I'm fed up of all this wind!

I built a small anemometer style wind indicator for the garden (three hemispheres on radial arms off a central bearing) and it's going like the clappers.

SWMBO keeps on looking at it and saying "why dont you put a generator on it? We could run the outside lights" etc.

Good idea, but I've no clue as to how to develop her plan.

I remember every chalet on humberston fitties camp site having an old telegraph pole with a truck dynamo on top rigged with a crude wooden propeller. A shed full of 12v batteries completed the ensemble and certainly powered lights etc.

Can it be that simple? Or are there better ways these days?

Would t'council have something to say if I stuck a pole in my garden?

Just musing while I wait for the shed roof to blow off.

Blustery of Barnsley

Thread: New Zealand Terror Attack
15/03/2019 11:25:19

Can I echo Neil's sentiments and say how appalled I am at the senseless violence visited on NZ.

My thoughts are for those killed and injured and their friends and family, along with the whole community.

Thread: Machine tool suppliers
15/03/2019 10:09:13

+1 HWM

Steve is a great guy to deal with. Bought a pillar drill from them, came on a pallet and was the best packed/protected item I've ever received.

Where are you located by the way?

Mick

Thread: Capstan query
14/03/2019 12:21:24

Opinions are sought regarding the usefulness of a capstan lathe in the model makers workshop.

I have a Smart and Brown model L lathe on its original cast iron cabinet stand. But with no motor.

It has a cross slide, taikstock, part off slide and capstan unit and collet chuck.

I intended to renovate it to fully functional condition and fitted Newton Tesla motor drive to see how it ran, perfectly well was the answer.

But I'm now thinking a capstan may not be a usable machine for everyday applications. Plus I have three other lathes that do most of my work.

So what are your thoughts?

Continue with the restoration, keep her in case I have a sudden need to make multiple nuts and bolts?

Gain some much needed floor space by moving her on to someone who has a use for her?

Do some wondrous modification and turn it into a more useful machine? Not sure what though.

SWMBO states I already have too many machines and is glad our local dealer has glosed down now, for nevit just means I have further to go for my next fix. Lol.

Best regards Mick

Thread: Tangential tools ?
13/03/2019 08:24:36

I suppose personal choice is the key here, what works for you and you're comfortable with.

The majority of my turning is done with an eccentric engineering tangential tool but there's nothing to stop you making your own as some have. It's easy to sharpen and set up for cutting and gives a good finish.

Insert tools tend to be for certain jobs but I use them sparingly.

I also have quite a few old style hss toolbit holders but they sit on the shelf unused.

You dont have stick to one style or system, use whats right for you.

Thread: Lathe screwcutting
12/03/2019 22:38:35

Thanks Martin , I will be giving that method a go when I nail down simple screw cutting.

At present I am looking at the Chinese multifix type threading tools which retract to make life easier. Just need to make sure I can get hold of the Komet cutting inserts they use. Typically I'm getting more help from China than from a firm ten miles away who took over Komet.

A chap on here called Joseph nocci posted about getting the same but no updates as to its usefulness.

Will keep you all posted how I get on.

Mick

12/03/2019 14:07:59

Hi Neil yes you're right. I took heart care with the pick up point this try and everything was fine. Also not setting at an angle seemed to help with the maintaining of infeed.

The boxford has a pull out thread indicator to give different pick ups for different threads so that has to be carefully observed.

That's why I'm asking about retracting tools holders, is it worth the outlay to make the process a bit more streamlined? Certainly you tube shows one being used to good effect.

Cheers mick

12/03/2019 11:18:27

Hi again.

I set up this morning to cut an M10 x 1.0 fine thread in brass.

I set the change wheels, gear box and found the correct pick up point.

Speed was 292 rpm and the tool is the insert type I mentioned in earlier posts.

Top slide set parallel and infeed by cross slide.

Half nuts engaged at correct pick up point, cross slide backed out, manual return to start point, infeed to 0 plus new cut , and so on and so forth.

Worked perfectly and produced a thread which fits well in a tap cut nut.

Look like back to basics is the way forward.

Any thoughts on retracting tool holders?

Relieved of Barnsley

Thread: Is a hand chamfer worthwhile?
11/03/2019 22:24:01

The noga type de-burring tools are very good. Great for thin material or cleaning the mouth of bored holes.

I have a few sizes to cope with different job sizes and prefer them to the style shown in the original post.

Regards mick

Thread: If starting again, what would you buy with a budget of 5k?
11/03/2019 18:26:19

Lee, a bit far from me but like I said, there will be a steam club or similar somewhere near you I'm sure.

I'm not a member of any clubs and picked up my knowledge from books and the interwebs.

My machines are all second hand and there's a lot of be said for finding a good used machinery dealer who will guide your purchases. I've dealt with some sterling guys both in person and online.

Hope you find the right gear for you.

11/03/2019 16:01:36

Lee,

Where abouts are you located? Maybe a nearby club or enthusiast could show you their kit and give advice?

Mick

11/03/2019 06:46:48

Thanks Hopper, I use a multifix tool post and its tricky to put small tool bits in. Sparey shows a home made sprung threading tool bit holder which is supposed to do a sterling job due to the flex in the neck allowing for fine cuts by repeating passes with no infeed. I just wondered if anyone had seen a commercial equivalent.

Thread: Circular lathe mounted file disc
11/03/2019 06:41:34

Curiously enough I have a key cutting machine which uses this type of wheel to file the lands on key blanks.

No, I'm not a locksmith but found the machine at a local dealer. It's missing a few bits but I intend to convert it into a mini saw or milling machine in due course.

I have seen the cutters in the OP before but not for some time, I'll keep my eyes open for any still in circulation.

10/03/2019 17:11:51

The weekend has been a thread free zone as I'm building a wind vane for the front of the house and both lathes have been turned over that job for a few days

I will set up for conventional thread cutting and send in some images.

I'm looking at using hss tooling rather than insert but will try both the see where I get. Is there a dedicated tool bit holder for threading tools in square section hss?

Thread: If starting again, what would you buy with a budget of 5k?
10/03/2019 14:59:15

To be honest there is more than enough information both on this forum and the web in general to answer the vague question posed.

I have lots of machinery and tooling and still I can find more bits to buy every chance I get. 5k really won't get you terribly far if you're serious about engineering.

If you just want to dabble then a decent pillar drill, small vertical mill and a nice 2nd hand lathe would be the minimum and would start to gobble up your 5k in no time when tooling is factored in.

I also stopped adding my stuff up when I hit 40k and came over all faint.

07/03/2019 10:27:21

Wise words hopper, I will take things slowly rather than my usual on the job learning as it were. Better to learn on spare material than the actual job.

It has a D 13 mount for the chuck or I would never consider any reverse spindle operations.

I'll take some snaps of what I'm trying to do.

Best regards Mick

07/03/2019 09:37:37

The Boxford is a modern version with a 6mm pitch leadscrew.

The tool I tried using is an omega products SER 1616 H16 from a reputable Sheffield tool dealer so should be good quality?

I've checked all the gear settings and engagement chart and I'm cutting the right pitch.

I guess its possibly infeed etc. I tried flood coolant and Dormer supercut fluid.

I'll read sparey again and get my head round it all.

07/03/2019 08:19:09

Hi all.

I'm using a Boxford X10 lathe with screw cutting gear box. It's got very little wear and tear. It as a thread cutting indicator to show when to start the cut, is the position of the saddle relative to the workpiece critical, I.e. should I be using a carriage stop? Leaving half nuts engaged shouldn't be necessary if I am accurate with the indicator.

I'm going to revisit tool grinding as suggested just to nail that but down.

The main reason for inverted/reverse running is I want to turn threads to an undercut and am wary of not stopping in time.

Setting the compound slide at an angle seems to be part of the problem, I'm not sure it's necessary but the books say don't and you tube says not.

Speed wise I am trying 65 rpm as the slowest on my gearbox but higher speeds have yielded mixed results with some good passes and some bad.

Lastly one you tuber cut all his threads on a Myford by hand cranking it and leaving the half nuts engaged, but that seems odd considering screwcutting should be done under power.

I'll keep on trying and report back.

Best regards Mick

06/03/2019 11:01:34

I knew my post lacked enough detail to cover all the bases as regards screw cutting.

I'm trying to thread free cutting steel but have tried brass with better results.

The reasoning behind the inverted tool is to feed away from the headstock which is safer than trying to stop before a crash.

I've tried an insert tool of doubtful heritage and a hand ground HSS tool which seemed to give better results.

Perhaps it's just a case of practice makes perfect.

Thanks to all for their input.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Engineer or Model Engineers' Workshop? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Engineer & Model Engineers' Workshop

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
cowells
EngineDIY
Eccentric July 5 2018
emcomachinetools
ChesterUK
Warco
Eccentric Engineering
Subscription Offer

Latest "For Sale" Ads
Latest "Wanted" Ads
Get In Touch!

Do you want to contact the Model Engineer and Model Engineers' Workshop team?

You can contact us by phone, mail or email about the magazines including becoming a contributor, submitting reader's letters or making queries about articles. You can also get in touch about this website, advertising or other general issues.

Click THIS LINK for full contact details.

For subscription issues please see THIS LINK.

Digital Back Issues

Social Media online

'Like' us on Facebook
Follow us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter
 Twitter Logo

Pin us on Pinterest