By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Member postings for Plasma

Here is a list of all the postings Plasma has made in our forums. Click on a thread name to jump to the thread.

Thread: Scale Field Gun or Howitzer plans
22/10/2019 18:25:07

Hi Peter

Have you looked at Armortek 1/6 scale kits?

They do a couple of field guns and the ammunition limber.

Very nicely machined but lots of scope for extra detailing and work. I built their Centurion tank and spent many hours machining extra parts and details to make it so much more accurate.

If you are not sold on making your own plans and dont mind building from a metal kit you can spend a lot if time on really super detailing it.

Once materials and machining are counted in the cost of these kits is not bad.

Beat regards plasma

Thread: Brake band friction lining
17/10/2019 16:15:17

Just to update, the guys at Custom brakes in Sheffield were fantastic. I dropped off the brake band at 10 am and they rang to say I could collect it at 3pm.

Made a fabulous job, grit blasting the friction surfaces, heat bonding a new lining in place and getting the unit ready to refit.

They said if it has friction surfaces we can refurbish it. No matter how big or small.

No connection to them but heartily recommend them of you need friction linings sorting out.

Regards, plasma.

15/10/2019 09:56:53

Custom brakes in Sheffield are the most convenient and were very helpful on the phone. Just drop it off and it will be back with you next working day, guaranteed oven bonded so for 30 quid that's the best bet.

Many thanks for all suggestions.

Plasma

14/10/2019 20:33:08

Thanks chaps. Trimat were my first port of call but they only do large quantities for industrial purposes. They put me in to Jim Jack.

I just wondered if anyone had a supplier they had used.

Plasma

14/10/2019 19:16:26

Hi all.

I'm currently renovating a Wheelhorse garden tractor a d the brake band is pretty shot.

It is a thin steel backing strip with some kind of friction material bonded to it.

Does anyone know what type of flexible friction material I need and where to get it from.

I have emailed a brake lining company called jim jack services in cumbernauld a d await their response.

Regards plasma

Thread: Small Metric Screws
03/10/2019 20:47:36

PTS-UK are very good for small screws.

Plasma

Thread: Hammer/Drift
02/10/2019 08:46:42

There is one on ebay at present. Go for it if it is your dream tool.

Plasma

Thread: Home built trailer
11/09/2019 08:57:09

Update from the government re my enquiry. Case closed lol.

Good afternoon Mick.

Many thanks for your recent e-mail which has been passed to the Approvals Technical department in order to reply to your concerns. Firstly, please accept our apologies for the delay in replying, the department is extremely busy at this time.

Any “new” trailer, be it manufactured by a company or self-built, will be required to have an approval before it is first used on a public road. Small trailers however are not as such “registered”.

For trailers manufactured in small numbers or for self-builds, these would usually be approved through Individual Vehicle Approval (IVA). The IVA scheme is administered by ourselves (the DVSA).

Please follow the link below for more information on the IVA Scheme;

**LINK**

The technical requirements that a trailer must meet can be found in the IVA Inspection Manual for Trailers;

**LINK**

For your trailer with a GVW not exceeding 750kg, this would be classed as a Category O1 Trailer.

Once you have completed the build, you must apply for an inspection using the correct application form (IVA1T);

**LINK**

This must be submitted electronically on our Technical Application Submission (TAS) system;

**LINK**

You can find a list of IVA test sites and the Category of vehicles they can accommodate in the interactive map in the link below (best viewed in Chrome or Firefox);

**LINK**

The fee for an IVA inspection on a Category O1 trailer is £70.00.

Once your trailer meets with the requirements, you will be issued with an Individual Approval Certificate (IAC). This will then permit you to use your trailer on a public road.

I hope that you find this information helpful and apologise again for the delay in replying.

Many thanks & best regards,

Steve Bardsley | DVSA Vehicle Approvals Technical Team

Thread: Seeking advice on suitable lathe
09/09/2019 07:31:08

Hi,

I have made several finger rings from titanium using a lathe, the final sizing cuts are done using boring bars rather than drills.

There is a lot of waste but you can collect the swarf to scrap easily if you're only using the one metal.

A Raglan Loughborough would be my choice if I was only making rings on it.

Regards plasma

Thread: Equity release!
31/08/2019 06:47:56

You need to find a good, independent financial adviser. Someone who can look at the options and give you the best advice.

I will be looking to do the same thing in due course, with the exception of soending it on women as the current head of domestic affairs may have something to say about that!

But having no kids and no mortgage means I can enjoy some of the cash I've pumped into this pile of bricks I live in.

Maybe a nicer car, or a few toys.

"Dreamin, I'm only dreamin......"

Plasma

Thread: Help milling an angle
28/08/2019 20:16:34

I dont understand the question. Are you making a flat plate identical to the drawing with a 60 degree angle?

Or are you making a flat plate with angled long edges? Your post is not clear hence the confusion.

If it's the former, rough it out with a saw and finish with files or a belt grinder. There is no need to waste time on a milling machine when it could be done much more quickly as I suggest.

Regards plasma

Thread: Just for fun what’s this stuck in my tyre?
28/08/2019 19:11:26

Well it was a weird item to find lodged in a tyre for sure.

Strangest I saw was a 13mm combination spanner right through the crown plies. I would have said it was impossible but there is was! No malicious action just a stunning example of sods law that if it can go wrong it will go wrong.

I recall Stelrad at Swinton sending a skip full of metal shards from their stamping press off to the scrap man. Damaged skip left a lethal trail of these tiny, sharp off cuts along the main road. Literally dozens of cars with all four boots holed. And my entire shift on hands and knees with magnets recovering them. Tyre dealers were ecstatic, Stelrad not so lol....

Plasma

Thread: Home Workshop Site
20/08/2019 21:20:50

Please pass on my very best wishes for a speedy recovery and good health to return

Regards Mick

Thread: Wasp trap - suggestions please
19/08/2019 15:00:58

Google waspinator. It's a really effective wasp deterrent rather than trap.

The highly territorial wasps see what looks like an established nest and go elsewhere.

It really works and is eco friendly.

Plasma

16/08/2019 11:22:30

Collected the trailer this morning. Really nice piece of kit and more than up to the job.

Plasma

Thread: What 3 Words
15/08/2019 19:17:31

Apparently he tried to get folk interested in grid ref location but it wasnt popular. There are enough words or letters to cover the globe, the letters just represent the map reference.

Good idea and seems useful.

Plasma

15/08/2019 10:37:02

Well after much consideration and a bit of common sense I have bought a Brenderup trailer with full certification and chassis number etc.

In the long run it's far safer and legally compliant than going to the effort of building one. I will get it safety checked before loading up.

Price wise it probably matches up with building one so I'm better off financially too.

The DVSA have sent my enquiry on to the relevant department and I will send any reply on in due course.

Thanks to all who responded and provided invaluable help in making my decision.

Regards plasma

14/08/2019 19:32:07

For the sake of completeness I have emailed the DVSA who administer all things vehicular to ask the current position re a home built trailer, not for resale or hire etc. Just me wanting to cart my mower from A to B etc.

Neil, are you talking about a trailer safety check rather than the kind of IVA process which seems pretty involved and you need to attend one of a handful of centres.

When or if I get a sensible reply I will post here.

You never know if we do actually leave the EU we may be discussing something for nothing.

Oh and I sympathise with anyone who has been affected by untested trailers or vehicles but bear in mind, the MoT is not a guarantee of safety for 12 months, a wheel could fall off on the way home from the test centre. Any number of bits of paper prove nothing in the real world unfortunately.

Plasma

14/08/2019 13:38:45

Looks like buying a new trailer is more cost effective and easier to navigate than a home build.

Plasma

13/08/2019 22:10:29

Hi Martin.

Thanks for that enquiry, ts good to have your friends input.

I will wade through the guidance documents to sort the wheat from the chaff.

I will check before I commit to buying the parts and starting to build anything.

Regards plasma

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Engineer or Model Engineers' Workshop? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Engineer & Model Engineers' Workshop

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
LMES
TRANSWAVE Converters
cowbells
Eccentric Engineering
Ausee.com.au
ChesterUK
Eccentric July 5 2018
Warco
emcomachinetools
Allendale Electronics
Subscription Offer

Latest "For Sale" Ads
Latest "Wanted" Ads
Get In Touch!

Do you want to contact the Model Engineer and Model Engineers' Workshop team?

You can contact us by phone, mail or email about the magazines including becoming a contributor, submitting reader's letters or making queries about articles. You can also get in touch about this website, advertising or other general issues.

Click THIS LINK for full contact details.

For subscription issues please see THIS LINK.

Digital Back Issues

Social Media online

'Like' us on Facebook
Follow us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter
 Twitter Logo

Pin us on Pinterest