By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Member postings for Plasma

Here is a list of all the postings Plasma has made in our forums. Click on a thread name to jump to the thread.

Thread: Home Workshop Site
20/08/2019 21:20:50

Please pass on my very best wishes for a speedy recovery and good health to return

Regards Mick

Thread: Wasp trap - suggestions please
19/08/2019 15:00:58

Google waspinator. It's a really effective wasp deterrent rather than trap.

The highly territorial wasps see what looks like an established nest and go elsewhere.

It really works and is eco friendly.

Plasma

Thread: Home built trailer
16/08/2019 11:22:30

Collected the trailer this morning. Really nice piece of kit and more than up to the job.

Plasma

Thread: What 3 Words
15/08/2019 19:17:31

Apparently he tried to get folk interested in grid ref location but it wasnt popular. There are enough words or letters to cover the globe, the letters just represent the map reference.

Good idea and seems useful.

Plasma

15/08/2019 10:37:02

Well after much consideration and a bit of common sense I have bought a Brenderup trailer with full certification and chassis number etc.

In the long run it's far safer and legally compliant than going to the effort of building one. I will get it safety checked before loading up.

Price wise it probably matches up with building one so I'm better off financially too.

The DVSA have sent my enquiry on to the relevant department and I will send any reply on in due course.

Thanks to all who responded and provided invaluable help in making my decision.

Regards plasma

14/08/2019 19:32:07

For the sake of completeness I have emailed the DVSA who administer all things vehicular to ask the current position re a home built trailer, not for resale or hire etc. Just me wanting to cart my mower from A to B etc.

Neil, are you talking about a trailer safety check rather than the kind of IVA process which seems pretty involved and you need to attend one of a handful of centres.

When or if I get a sensible reply I will post here.

You never know if we do actually leave the EU we may be discussing something for nothing.

Oh and I sympathise with anyone who has been affected by untested trailers or vehicles but bear in mind, the MoT is not a guarantee of safety for 12 months, a wheel could fall off on the way home from the test centre. Any number of bits of paper prove nothing in the real world unfortunately.

Plasma

14/08/2019 13:38:45

Looks like buying a new trailer is more cost effective and easier to navigate than a home build.

Plasma

13/08/2019 22:10:29

Hi Martin.

Thanks for that enquiry, ts good to have your friends input.

I will wade through the guidance documents to sort the wheat from the chaff.

I will check before I commit to buying the parts and starting to build anything.

Regards plasma

13/08/2019 21:38:11

It's not just a shop, this is an accredited towing centre with facilities to undertake trailer safety checks etc. So I am confident the advice given was accurate and reliable. Especially as they could have said it's more trouble than it's worth building your own and sold me 500 quid worth of new trailer.

I'm reading through some of the links but typical of .Gov documents it's as clear as mud.

As posters have said before a well built trailer will be stronger than many ready built pressed steel ones.

Plasma

13/08/2019 13:27:25

Ok. So tow bar fitted professionally this morning with all paperwork and guarantees in order. Lovely book on towing from Highways agency with lots of helpful information.

Asked about self building and the chap said, no problem, as long as you're not building them commercially just carry on.

They supply everything you need off the shelf. May cost same as buying a shiny new galvanised tin one but mine will be bomb proof and built as I need it with a loading ramp etc.

Need to start drawing now.

Regards plasma

Thread: My digital calipersseems to give varying readings
13/08/2019 06:47:41

Mitutoyo are fantastic calipers but beware of fakes. They are extremely good copies and hard to distinguish from the real thing unless you know what to look for. Plastic case, paperwork, every thing looks right, but it's not. Buy only from a reputable dealer to be sure.

If you are doing precision work you must use a micrometer, a caliper is not a repeatable tool for precision work in my book.

Regards plasma

Thread: Another scam
08/08/2019 13:56:30

Not so much a scam but a brand new VW golf was stolen from the bust car park of the garden centre next to Wentworth woodhouse yesterday. Not out of the ordinary I hear you say, but these boys turned up with a beaver tail recovery vehicle, in full hi vis clothing and lifted it in from of hundreds of witnesses. No one said a thing to them, why would they, and away they went.

Hoping the fact it's on cctv will help but I'm not hopeful if they were that bare faced.

Obviously high value motors are on the menu.

Plasma.

06/08/2019 15:46:17

Once again some truly invaluable advice especially as regard weights and access to the local.tip.

I'm having a row bar fitted next week at an accredited centre so I will ask all about self building etc.

Not sure if anyone saw the news story of a lady who was hit by a disconnected caravan not far from where I live. Makes one take this towing lark seriously, even for a light use type.

Many thanks and if anything crops up at the tow bar centre I will post here.

Regards plasma

05/08/2019 21:18:02

Hi all.

Anyone have any experience of building a small road going trailer for general purpose use, trips to the tip etc?

The parts are all available and welding up a frame would be a simple enough fabrication job.

I'm just checking there are no pitfalls, some sites say new trailers need an IVA inspection but I'm not sure if this is for commercially built units.

Regards plasma

Thread: Graphite sealing cord
04/08/2019 16:23:01

Two O ring grooves cut in to the gland and two new O rings fitted so we have a functional seal.

Many thanks for all who commented.

Plasma

04/08/2019 11:20:21

Having looked at it I think it would be an idea to cut a couple of O ring grooves inside the gland nut and give that a try. It does not have to be period as it's out of sight. And it's not contemporary with the house.

I will report back when my marmalade is set, dont ask but it's another Wentworth job lol

03/08/2019 11:40:32

Wentworth woodhouse throws up another query, this time in the form of an antiquated bathroom basin mechanism.

It has a pop up waste plug which leaks at the rear where the cross shaft emerges from the waste trap. A brass gland nut sits over a brass barrel on the cross shaft. There is a gap between the barrel and bore of the gland nut.

There was some degraded gunk inside the gland nut but not identifiable as any seal material.

Would this kind of seal use graphite cord or similar to pack the void and create a seal. It's not under any pressure other than the exiting water.

There is no O ring groove and I think its pre,manmade material seals.

Any thoughts?

Thread: What hand protection do you use?
02/08/2019 06:49:47

Gloves in a bottle, excellent stuff suggested on the prior thread mentioned above. Really does a great job.

Plasma

Thread: Another knurling tool
02/08/2019 06:47:36

Nice job, very similar to the one I use and so much easier to control depth of knurl etc.

Plasma

Thread: Is it a tool post?
02/08/2019 06:39:35

Yes, I have a complete unit with clamping screw and tee nut.

Not for parting tools but would be good on a small lathe.

I just bought it because i liked it lol.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Engineer or Model Engineers' Workshop? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Engineer & Model Engineers' Workshop

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
Ausee.com.au
TRANSWAVE Converters
Eccentric Engineering
Eccentric July 5 2018
Warco
ChesterUK
Meridienne Sept 2019
Advertise With Us
Allendale Electronics
emcomachinetools
Subscription Offer

Latest "For Sale" Ads
Latest "Wanted" Ads
Get In Touch!

Do you want to contact the Model Engineer and Model Engineers' Workshop team?

You can contact us by phone, mail or email about the magazines including becoming a contributor, submitting reader's letters or making queries about articles. You can also get in touch about this website, advertising or other general issues.

Click THIS LINK for full contact details.

For subscription issues please see THIS LINK.

Digital Back Issues

Social Media online

'Like' us on Facebook
Follow us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter
 Twitter Logo

Pin us on Pinterest