By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Member postings for Pete.

Here is a list of all the postings Pete. has made in our forums. Click on a thread name to jump to the thread.

Thread: A bit more upcycling.
12/06/2021 15:24:05

That looks fantastic, a similar design with the disc on the column slightly further apart would make a great display stand for small items.

Thread: Best place to buy materials
08/06/2021 22:33:09

The Metal Store has what you want, £30 for 6 metres, 25x8mm black flat bar, they do free delivery over £50, with unlimited cutting service free of charge.

I use this company for fabrication supplies, the free delivery at £50 means it's pretty competitive for £50~£100 orders.

Thread: Lathe bed way cover
06/06/2021 22:19:49

Did you buy like that, or replace the material on a window roller blind?

06/06/2021 20:23:36

That looks like it works much better than the standard type on mills, what material is it? Is it meant for a machine or repurposed?

Thread: Scalped on my doorstep - it left an unpleasant taste in my mouth.
06/06/2021 20:17:12
Posted by Neil Wyatt on 06/06/2021 12:15:21:
Posted by Pete. on 05/06/2021 23:53:06:

There aren't many genuine charities I'm afraid, take a look at how much even the big names of 'reputable' charities give out of their total received money, it's in the 30% to 50% range, some of the less well known giving 5% to 30% of what they receive, it's all a business these days, a good business model.

As someone who managed a middle-sized charity for 17 years (and I could have earned more managing a supermarket) I can't agree with that.

Whatever happened in Zambia 50 years ago isn't a good guide to British charities. Your example also shows that even then people were checking up on how money had been spent.

Neil

Of course not all are bad, but the whole charity industry just doesn't sit right with me, elderly people with dementia being put on easy target lists shared amongst these organisations, then fleeced for their life savings, charity employees standing in the street aggressively trying to take your bank details, a donation isn't good enough, they need your bank details, although I think this one got banned.

As pointed out by others here, the salary of some of these charities to their top staff is disgraceful.

Maybe they should implement some kind of standard, when they donate at least 80% of their takings and don't pay employees more than the national average wage they could get some kind of recognition so people would know they're genuine.

Thread: Ideas on how to make a nylon Stiffnut 'less stiff'
06/06/2021 01:01:32

Just to be clear, I'm not saying removing it is a good idea, just pointing out they're only really effective when tight, he gave the impression he wanted convenience rather than proper assembly.

06/06/2021 00:39:54
Posted by Michael Gilligan on 05/06/2021 23:58:40:
Posted by Pete. on 05/06/2021 21:21:09:

Take the nylon insert out, if you ran a tap through it, it would reduce the friction to make it ineffective anyway, I assume it coming loose isn't an issue as you want the nylon insert to have no friction?

Surely Greensands is looking to make the nut “less stiff” not free-running

A few turns of a taper tap would do that nicely.

MichaelG.

By the time it's loose enough to turn easily with your fingers, surely all the benefits of the nylon insert have gone? Car manuals generally advise to replace these when taken off, I would assume their testing shows the nylon needs to be pretty tight to work properly.

Thread: Scalped on my doorstep - it left an unpleasant taste in my mouth.
05/06/2021 23:53:06

There aren't many genuine charities I'm afraid, take a look at how much even the big names of 'reputable' charities give out of their total received money, it's in the 30% to 50% range, some of the less well known giving 5% to 30% of what they receive, it's all a business these days, a good business model.

Back in the 70s my mother worked for the Zambian Government, some naive pen pushers from some department of British government came out to inspect the schools they had paid to be built.

My mother had to drive them to the plot of land where the schools had been built, they arrived to find a plot of land untouched by mankind, not even an attempt to give the impression some kind of building was being carried out.

They took the money, and deposited it straight into their private bank accounts, this pretty much sums up the past 50 years of this nonsense.

When it come to charity I have zero tolerance attitude,

Thread: Compressor droop
05/06/2021 21:39:55

How we always did it with spray guns was set it a little above what's needed at the compressor, then with a mini regulator at the spray gun make the fine adjustment with air flowing, this will give you the actual pressure at the work end while it's flowing.

Thread: Ideas on how to make a nylon Stiffnut 'less stiff'
05/06/2021 21:21:09

Take the nylon insert out, if you ran a tap through it, it would reduce the friction to make it ineffective anyway, I assume it coming loose isn't an issue as you want the nylon insert to have no friction?

Thread: Advice on moving an Archdale radial drill
28/05/2021 23:58:38

The machine auction sites I've used in the past always have a loading charge, £50~£100 ish, small cost when you consider what could go wrong.

Thread: Professional rebuild ! (££££???)
28/05/2021 23:42:01

In the past when using a pallet company, I remember looking at the insurance in the small print and seeing something to do with price per unit of weight, I can't remember what it was but remember thinking that's not very much if you were moving something quite expensive.

If your repair quote is more than the purchase cost, surely insurance would class that as a write off, and reimburse you the purchase cost?

I'd take the money, put some of it towards the repair doing it myself, have yourself a very cheap lathe.

Thread: The Workshop Progress Thread 2021
28/05/2021 01:37:16

Thank you all for the kind words, given me a bit of motivation to finish the rest of the machines so I can concentrate on making things.

26/05/2021 22:42:18

Quite some time ago I made a post about a mini 1940's milling machine I purchased , in red as received, quite sorry looking condition.

It’s been a do a bit here and there project when spare time allows, it deserved saving I think.

s-l1600 (2).jpg

img_20210414_182940.jpg

img_20210414_183045.jpg

img_20210414_183100.jpg

img_20210414_183147.jpg

Thread: Stupid moment
26/05/2021 19:38:20

Just the nature of working with potentially dangerous equipment, when I was 19 working as a welder for a coach building company, my boots had come undone half a dozen times during the day, so I tied them in ultra tight triple knots, welding overhead a small pea size ball of molten metal fell inside my boot, taking a pair of shoes off has never taken so long.

Thread: Mitutoyo Digital Callipers
25/05/2021 23:55:32
Posted by Steve Neighbour on 25/05/2021 23:18:56:

Agree, there are far too many 'fakes' for sale online.

It is not unreasonable to seek out value for money, as even 100% genuine products can vary considerably in cost, so the BIG question is:

How can you guarantee your not paying a 'genuine price' for what appears to be a 'genuine' product - only to find out it is still a 'fake' ?

Isn't that one easy, buy from a reputable supplier, like allendale the forum sponsor, or am I missing something?

Thread: Who uses airbrushes?
23/05/2021 18:44:59
Posted by Nicholas Wheeler 1 on 23/05/2021 18:29:02:
Posted by Pete. on 23/05/2021 15:45:45:

Fwiw HVLP guns are the least suitable for small compressors, they were designed for wasting less paint in an environment where it's in constant use all day, the clue is in the name, High Volume, it uses a high volume of air at lower pressure to reduce overspray, they use far more air than standard guns with zero benefit for occasional use.

You think using less paint for better coverage together with much less overspray is zero benefit??

Using them with high solid 2k means just 2 coats of paint, which dramatically reduces your chances of screwing something up.

You'd have to spray industrial amounts of paint before you start saving money on paint, when I trained in body repair and paint spraying at Leicester college 20 years ago, we were taught the HVLP guns didn't atomize the paint as well as standard guns.

HVLP was brought in for environmental and money saving reasons, technically speaking, it's an inferior way of applying paint.

Thread: Professional rebuild ! (££££???)
23/05/2021 16:30:43

How much has the pallet courier agreed to pay out?

How much did the lathe cost you?

Thread: Who uses airbrushes?
23/05/2021 15:45:45

Fwiw HVLP guns are the least suitable for small compressors, they were designed for wasting less paint in an environment where it's in constant use all day, the clue is in the name, High Volume, it uses a high volume of air at lower pressure to reduce overspray, they use far more air than standard guns with zero benefit for occasional use.

Thread: Install & commission of a Chester Cub 630 (Warco GH750)
22/05/2021 17:06:00

When my similar size lathe arrived, I welded some pre made plates of 6mm steel with castors to bottom, and used some 40mm steel bar tapped m12 each end, to make four feet with adjustable swivel soles which bolt to the original reinforced area of the frame, I think the wheels are 100mm, solves the problem permanently, it can be moved around with similar effort to pushing a shopping trolley.

Boxford 11.30 feet

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Engineer or Model Engineers' Workshop? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Engineer & Model Engineers' Workshop

Support Our Partners
JD Metals
ChesterUK
cowells
emcomachinetools
Warco
Eccentric July 5 2018
Eccentric Engineering
Subscription Offer

Latest "For Sale" Ads
Latest "Wanted" Ads
Get In Touch!

Do you want to contact the Model Engineer and Model Engineers' Workshop team?

You can contact us by phone, mail or email about the magazines including becoming a contributor, submitting reader's letters or making queries about articles. You can also get in touch about this website, advertising or other general issues.

Click THIS LINK for full contact details.

For subscription issues please see THIS LINK.

Digital Back Issues

Social Media online

'Like' us on Facebook
Follow us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter
 Twitter Logo

Pin us on Pinterest