By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Member postings for Peter F

Here is a list of all the postings Peter F has made in our forums. Click on a thread name to jump to the thread.

Thread: Omnimill 00
16/05/2019 00:36:30

Coming along nicely Ian, thanks for regular updates on progress.

Thread: Drilling cast iron - where did I go wrong?
16/05/2019 00:31:57

Try a smaller pilot, 7mm is quite big for a 10.5mm drill, You've only got just over 1.5mm of the drill actually being used at the edge, so the taper of the drill doesn't seat as nicely in the pilot hole, I'd try with a 4 or 5mm pilot.

11/05/2019 23:51:03

I to used some fine scotchbrite, but with Jizer, but it's nice to know what methods others use, looks good, looking forward to seeing it progress further.

11/05/2019 22:21:17

Ian, that's coming along nicely, could a I ask you what method you use to clean up non painted cast surfaces like the gibs and the entire front section?

Thread: Collet blocks
11/05/2019 22:19:02

What payment method do you need to use?

Thread: T nut slot channel
08/05/2019 23:25:26
Posted by Chris123 on 08/05/2019 21:54:27:

Hi, thanks for the replies.

Must for use in plastic extrusion, for holding a jig into a table. It needs to be quite strongly fixed down so it doesn’t move. Location accuracy doesn’t matter as the table is moved my motors.

We have loads of unistrut, but don’t want to use it. Other machines use this t slot channel but we don’t know where to buy it!

Thanks.

So you know what you want exists, you have some, maybe a photo would help people know exactly what you want?

Thread: Standard dead length Crawford collets
06/05/2019 23:11:39
Posted by Michael Gilligan on 06/05/2019 06:26:12:
Posted by Peter F on 05/05/2019 23:48:39:

What the general consensus on the the original being a 15 degree taper, does anyone know if Crawford would have used this on a 1950ish British machine?

Crawford was a Collet maker ... so would have made 'anything and everything'

Bespoke items for one machine were 'adopted' by others, and some became de facto 'standards'

You probably need to find what other machines used this 'standard' ... and then search old catalogues to confirm the design dimensions.

MichaelG.

Edited By Michael Gilligan on 06/05/2019 06:35:37

Having a think, I'd rather not alter the machine itself as this was more about restoring a rare old machine designed by a model engineer, than creating a machine I need to use.

so I've thought if I shorten the schaublin collets say 4mm, I can hold the collet in the lathe somehow, and turning very very slowly, use an ezelap credit card periodically press on the polished thicker end of the collet, to lap it so it will fit, I only need to take off 0.2mm to bring it down to the same OD as the original Crawford collet, and it's only the shiny part, the black part on the schaublin collet is smaller OD than the Crawford.

I used this method to deburr a B16 drill spindle with good results.

Thread: 6" EME rotary table
06/05/2019 21:28:50
Posted by Michael Gilligan on 06/05/2019 17:29:52:

Given the evident quality of the 6" ... This might be a bargain for someone: **LINK**

https://www.wilkinsonmachinery.com/elliott-10-rotary-table

MichaelG.

Definitely a bargain for someone who's looking.

05/05/2019 23:56:19
Posted by Roderick Jenkins on 05/05/2019 23:20:16:

Have a look at Walter rotary tables on the net, they look very similar. Made in Germany. East or West?

Rod

I think you're right, the movable zero mark looks identical

05/05/2019 23:48:39

I received a msg back from Tony, he said if you find any, buy them all and trade duplicate sizes with others etc, others? I think I've only seen 2 others for sale, ever, which basically makes me think hen's teeth.

However, had a rummage through some collets I have, found some Schaublin F16 collets that appear almost identical in some aspects, they are a 15 degree taper, from the links you provided for Crawford, their dead length collets also use a 15 degree taper, the part that protrudes through the collar is the same size, the widest part of the taper is the same, I've tried checking the original collet, but it impossible to tell with 100% certainty using my protractor.

Down side, the collets are a bit too long, not much, might only need shortening 3/4 mm

You'll see on the photos, the polished back end on the Schaublin collet is slightly too wide to fit in the bore, but again not much, I measured the top of the bore inside the spindle, and it's 15.6mm, the Back end of the Schaublin collet is the thickest part at 16mm,

what I'm thinking, shorten the Schaublin collets about 4mm, while the machine is stripped down, take a small amount off the inside of the spindle bore, the original collet never went this far up anyway,

What the general consensus on the the original being a 15 degree taper, does anyone know if Crawford would have used this on a 1950ish British machine?

Original on the left,

img_20190505_230250.jpg

img_20190505_230302.jpg

Below, the original collet in the Collar.

img_20190505_230455.jpg

Below the Schaublin F16 collet in the Collar

img_20190505_230536.jpg

Below the 2 collets.

img_20190505_230653.jpg

05/05/2019 22:47:11

Now you can see the whole thing, yes it's in very nice condition, but the design of the body casting makes me think it's British, it has 'channels' down either side like mine, what I presume is for coolant to spill over the table and run down? I've never seen an import Rotary table with that feature?, I may be wrong, it's just something I noticed.

05/05/2019 15:15:44
Posted by Michael Gilligan on 05/05/2019 07:21:40:

Peter,

Try this catalogue: **LINK**

http://www.rotagriponline.com/datasheets/5C.pdf

.. ignore the 5C file-name !

MichaelG.

Thanks again, I did actually come across that in my search before, they all seem to be larger than what the machine needs, I was speaking to Tony at Lathes.co a few weeks ago about this mill, I said I'd send him some photos of the machine when it's restored for his site, so I messaged him today to see if he can put any light on the collet situation.

04/05/2019 22:56:21

Hi, thanks for the replies, but unfortunately I can't find anything on there that matches the description on lathes.co

03/05/2019 22:16:44

Sounds good, look forward to seeing its progress.

03/05/2019 22:14:52

I've been searching for some collets for my Portmac miller, Lathes.co describes them as 'standard dead length 1.5" crawford collets' that range in size from 1/8 to 1/2,

I've not managed to find any from this description, am I searching the wrong thing? are these style given an 'F' designation of some description that I need to search, any help much appreciated.

03/05/2019 22:05:09
Posted by Henry Brown on 03/05/2019 21:54:51:

Very nice Peter, I was after a slightly larger one as I need it to mill some weight out of a car flywheel but this was too good to miss. The worm and wheel on this one are ground,both steel, it has a ball thrust and substantial bronze bearings on the indexing hamdle. Following up the lead from Baz I did a quick search, I think it was made by Elliott Machinery of Manchester.

I'm sure I've looked at one in the past to consider buying when I was looking, I'm glad to hear it's nicely made, and you're right, sometimes something is too good to turn down.

03/05/2019 21:59:54
Posted by Ian McVickers on 03/05/2019 21:50:11:

Peter, the hole in the casting is meant to be there. Not sure whats its for yet though.

Well that's good then, what are your plans? are you repainting it?

03/05/2019 21:55:16
Posted by Roderick Jenkins on 03/05/2019 21:47:37:

EME were importers of the unimat lathes, I rather suspect they were essentially badge engineers.

Rod

If anyone can give more info on this it would be good, I've nearly purchased 'EME' tooling in the past, so knowing more about it would be nice.

03/05/2019 21:41:09

They look like really good home machines, I second that I'd like to see more of it as it progresses, the top left of the casting in the first picture, is that damage, a hole? or are my eyes deceiving me?

03/05/2019 21:36:55

I'd say you got a bargain there, very nice bit of kit, in great condition too, you probably paid half what a questionable quality import would be, I paid £260 for my 10" Hofmann, also in great condition, the seller had an 8" also, but convinced me the 10" was a better price saving from new compared to the 8" he had, and it was much smoother to use.

img_20190319_232124.jpg

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Engineer or Model Engineers' Workshop? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Engineer & Model Engineers' Workshop

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
Meridienne; London MES
Eccentric Engineering
Warco
ChesterUK
Eccentric July 5 2018
Ausee.com.au
cowbells
TRANSWAVE Converters
Allendale Electronics
emcomachinetools
Subscription Offer

Latest "For Sale" Ads
Latest "Wanted" Ads
Get In Touch!

Do you want to contact the Model Engineer and Model Engineers' Workshop team?

You can contact us by phone, mail or email about the magazines including becoming a contributor, submitting reader's letters or making queries about articles. You can also get in touch about this website, advertising or other general issues.

Click THIS LINK for full contact details.

For subscription issues please see THIS LINK.

Digital Back Issues

Social Media online

'Like' us on Facebook
Follow us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter
 Twitter Logo

Pin us on Pinterest