By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Member postings for Pete.

Here is a list of all the postings Pete. has made in our forums. Click on a thread name to jump to the thread.

Thread: Choosing a mini mill
08/03/2021 22:35:12

Listed as a drill, so might not get much attention £300 mill I'd buy that for around £400, bit of a refurb and it'd be an OK machine.

Thread: A Certain Age
08/03/2021 22:08:26
Posted by Andrew Johnston on 20/02/2021 15:18:17:
Posted by Ray Lyons on 20/02/2021 14:58:40:

........found that I had set the speed in KM/h instead of MPH. I was going to change it but on reflection decided to leave as it is since an indicated 30 is in fact about 28MPH.............

That can't be right? A speed of 30kph is equivalent to 18.6mph.

Andrew

Looks like we found out whose been holding all the traffic up 🤭

Thread: Choosing a mini mill
08/03/2021 21:57:47

I thought the size would be the main problem, I couldn't envisage how you could hold anything to something that small, I saw one of those round column mill drills on ebay yesterday for 300, they're not perfect, but they have a bit of weight to them, if you're willing to spend a bit of time cleaning something up, the used market might provide you with something for around 500

08/03/2021 21:39:47

So other potential buyers can understand, why was the vertical slide you bought for the lathe not successful?

In short, you probably won't get anything worth having for 600, there's a thread on here about someone with a micro mill size machine struggling to use a 4mm end Mill, so if your intention is to mill metal, anything smaller than an x2 size machine will probably be an expensive disappointment, the micro mill is more for radio control car/plane/helicopter sort of modelling.

Thread: Alfred Herbert high speed bench drill
06/03/2021 19:46:14

It's the safety aspect that's most important, I'm sure a Chinese inverter is fine, as long you buy it from somewhere like inverter drive supermarket that would only sell products that meet safety requirements.

Thread: Help needed, can't release cast iron wheel
06/03/2021 17:30:30

I have two of those small Beta pullers, while they are well made, I'd think a bit undersized for what you're asking of it there.

Thread: Alfred Herbert high speed bench drill
06/03/2021 17:24:43

Invertek inverters start at £95, I don't know why anyone would even consider buying spending £60 on something of dubious quality when for little more you get a lot more.

Thread: mitre saw use for roughing out/ vertical milling mild steel?
05/03/2021 22:41:06

If your bench top Mill is struggling with a 4mm end Mill, something is wrong, you might as well work out what it is, then you can use you milling machine for its intended purpose.

Thread: Left hand Cobalt drill
05/03/2021 19:32:04

Thanks, that's pretty reasonable then, do you know if the worm pattern stub drills would be suitable for drilling out a grub screw, they're noticeably cheaper than the other HsCo drills, if they are I might buy a few sizes as I don't think I have any left hand drill bits.

05/03/2021 17:48:31

Andrew, how much is their postage, and do their prices include vat?

They require an account to access this information, unless I missed something, which is entirely possible.

Thread: SX2P Gas Strut Modification Issue?
04/03/2021 16:37:02
Posted by Michael Gilligan on 04/03/2021 08:43:56:
Posted by Pete. on 04/03/2021 01:10:58:

... some people might not realise using ballscrews manually can cause issues, I was just throwing a few ideas out there.

An excellent reaction, Pete yes

it demonstrates the merit of of a forum.

I don’t recall seeing any authoritative documentation about the ‘reverse running problem’ of ballscrews but I feel sure it must be out there. ... If anyone happens to find anything, it would probably merit a new forum thread for convenient reference.

MichaelG.

Just to clarify, I have no experience of this happening, just something I read on here from someone who had tried it, be interesting to her more from anyone who might have experienced this.

04/03/2021 16:34:08
Posted by David George 1 on 04/03/2021 08:14:13:

I fitted a ballscrew to my Chester champion 16VS and have had no problems but that may be because I have moved the handwheel from the back to the side, with a pair of bevel gears, so I can reach the handwheel.

20190217_082059.jpg

David

That looks like an excellent solution to the problem, very nicely done also.

04/03/2021 01:10:58

Absolutely Michael, I wasn't questioning anything you said, I'd seen a few other posts recently that made me think some people might not realise using ballscrews manually can cause issues, I was just throwing a few ideas out there.

04/03/2021 00:10:26

Someone on this forum mentioned ballscrews can allow the cutter to be pulled into the work as they have little friction, so it may well not solve your issue.

A traditional lead screw could be fitted to the left hand side of the machine with no machining other than a few holes drilled and tapped, if attached on the outside of the column with a manually operated handle at the top.

Or maybe shimming behind the rack until it meshes with the pinion with acceptable backlash, don't know if this has been mentioned, I haven't read all the comments.

Thread: Crowning a pulley for a flat belt Question
03/03/2021 23:31:00

Try planning it as series of cuts like a manually operated cnc process to get the profile, then blend it together with a file, Jason the moderator has some photos carrying out this process, I'm sure he'll explain in more detail when he sees your post.

Thread: Changing a drill-chuck adapter
27/02/2021 19:12:40

I had a B16 keyless chuck that kept falling off its taper, a good warm up of the chuck itself with a heat gun expanded it enough to move slightly further up the taper clamping enough never to fall off again, a leather glove helps, it might be worth a try.

Thread: Chinese lathe
26/02/2021 19:32:51

An Other, in all honesty, as long as the buyer is happy, that's all that matters, I often think peoples expectations far outweigh their financial investment, when people buy a £25 set of collets off ebay, then come here and start a thread about their disappointment, I can't help but think what did you expect.

What rubbed me up the wrong way was the name calling.

26/02/2021 18:01:59
Posted by Ketan Swali on 26/02/2021 17:54:54:
Posted by Pete. on 26/02/2021 17:35:39:
Posted by Chris Crew on 25/02/2021 23:58:43:

Edited By Chris Crew on 26/02/2021 00:00:24

I'll stick to engineering products, otherwise it's not relevant to this forum, compare Vertex products to Chinese products, there's a clear difference in quality control.

Please... let’s all calm down and keep our views moderated and polite.

Vertex is a Taiwan brand. A very high percentage of their products are generic - made in mainland China by sub-contract manufacturing . They just have good Q.C., stock holding and marketing.

Ketan at ARC

That's specifically why I mentioned Vertex, to make the point that they can make acceptable products, but a culture of allowing items that have left factories without QC tarnishes that.

26/02/2021 17:54:37

That's a good point about quality control, you often find Chinese engineering tools don't have tolerance specs listed anywhere, so it's literally a lottery whether you get something you're happy with.

26/02/2021 17:35:39
Posted by Chris Crew on 25/02/2021 23:58:43:

Peter, not my experience I can assure you, and I would hazard that is not most other people's experience either if they were being open and objective. Maybe I have just been very lucky but 80% of the electrical, electronic and mechanical products in my household are made in China, and those that are not will be bolted together using Chinese parts. I would suggest it may be the same for you and with your car whatever else the branding may suggest. So Chinese products, whatever they may be, are not 'just crap'. They are so good and reliable they are making China the biggest economy in the world. I can understand, and possibly agree with, the political fall-out from that, but it does not alter the fact that you have to be very unlucky indeed for a Chinese product not to work perfectly well for the purpose and level of performance it was intended to serve.

Edited By Chris Crew on 26/02/2021 00:00:24

I'll stick to engineering products, otherwise it's not relevant to this forum, compare Vertex products to Chinese products, there's a clear difference in quality control.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Engineer or Model Engineers' Workshop? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Engineer & Model Engineers' Workshop

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
JD Metals
emcomachinetools
ChesterUK
Eccentric July 5 2018
cowells
Warco
Eccentric Engineering
Subscription Offer

Latest "For Sale" Ads
Latest "Wanted" Ads
Get In Touch!

Do you want to contact the Model Engineer and Model Engineers' Workshop team?

You can contact us by phone, mail or email about the magazines including becoming a contributor, submitting reader's letters or making queries about articles. You can also get in touch about this website, advertising or other general issues.

Click THIS LINK for full contact details.

For subscription issues please see THIS LINK.

Digital Back Issues

Social Media online

'Like' us on Facebook
Follow us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter
 Twitter Logo

Pin us on Pinterest