By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Member postings for Pete.

Here is a list of all the postings Pete. has made in our forums. Click on a thread name to jump to the thread.

Thread: What spray do you use to stop your tools from rusting?
28/10/2021 02:25:38

I use Renaissance wax on my steel tools, I don't like fuids that are sticky, stick to your hands, and attract dirt, Renaissance wax avoids all that and protects.

28/10/2021 00:33:11

That said, I often spend time in the West Highlands of Scotland and in my experience for any steel product where rust has already started to penetrated the paintwork... when it is going to be lashed with wind-driven salty rain, my bet is that none of the above would last 6 months!

Edited By John Smith 47 on 27/10/2021 23:29:35

Could you explain exactly what you need protecting from corrosion, I read the opening post and got the idea it was for small hand tools, now you're talking about paintwork and salty wind driven rain making me think Land rover off roading in Scotland, what are you trying to achieve?

Thread: Blackgates Stent T&C Grinder
26/10/2021 18:13:58

Hi Ian, I emailed them and didn't get a response, which was the original point of this thread, I don't have time to call people during the day, other small business like eccentric engineering and hemmingway kits have no problem uploading a few photos, a small investment might even boost their business, people generally like looking at what they're spending their money on, from what I see they sell to people who already know what they want.

with a better website people might browse and buy things they didn't know they wanted.

I understand eccentric is a one man operation, you don't need to be Jeff Bezos to upload a few photos of what your selling, anyhow I'd rate Amazon pretty poor when it comes to photos of what they're selling, they often don't even have the right picture of what the title is, plenty of small businesses doing a better job.

But if they were gone, I'm not sure I'd miss them, as I don't know what I'm missing.

25/10/2021 23:53:16

Thanks, it's a shame they don't update their website, from the looks of their catalogue they have some interesting projects, but the effort put in to showing their customers what they're actually selling is pretty poor.

24/10/2021 23:25:53

That's fantastic, thank you very much Dennis.

24/10/2021 21:56:10

Does anybody know the cost of the casting kit for the stent T&C grinder from blackgates.

I did email them during the week, no reply, they do have a price list for the catalogue, are they making the customer buy a catalogue to find out the prices?

I want to believe this isn't the case, but nothing surprises me these days.

Thread: Vice
23/10/2021 02:46:36
Posted by mark costello 1 on 22/10/2021 19:57:40:

Is Your vise made of Aluminum?

If it was, it would be invisible, because there's no such thing.

Edited By Pete. on 23/10/2021 02:48:53

Thread: Progress with the Progress drill
21/10/2021 23:11:38

looks like a nice little project, hope we get to see it finished

Thread: Cutting Brass Sheet
20/10/2021 00:47:56

A simple bench shear will cut perfectly straight edges with no bending.

Thread: From where I might be able to source some 1300 micron (1.3mm) mild steel sheet?
20/10/2021 00:44:57
Posted by John Smith 47 on 19/10/2021 21:30:23:
Posted by Michael Gilligan on 19/10/2021 21:00:34:
Posted by peak4 on 19/10/2021 19:21:27:

If you're cutting it down and can get by with ½" wide, you could try HERE
https://www.repco-tech.co.uk/shims

Bill

That looks a useful Supplier, thanks Bill yes

[ noting that the minimum order value might encourage ‘strategic’ purchases ]

MichaelG.

[quote]

We have a £35 minimum order policy. Any orders under this value will incur an additional fee to adjust it to the minimum.

[/quote]

These sort of unfriendly barriers are actually pretty much out of date. I have talked to a few small-scale manufacturers and they seem to be quite irritated by this sort of thing.

It seems to me that to a quite a large extent the whole world is just thundering onto the likes of Amazon and the old tidy structures of wholesaler / distributor / retailer etc are just being crushed.

Edited By John Smith 47 on 19/10/2021 21:37:02

£35 isn't much, what would you expect their profit from a £35 sale is? it probably helps them avoid the time wasters.

Thread: Old 1/2" chuck
16/10/2021 21:07:33

An old boring head with a similar symbol popped up in my ebay feed a few hours ago 'Crown' brand

Crown Boring Head Ebay

Thread: QDM750/Kerry Super 8 spindle bearings
16/10/2021 00:24:06

Hi James, I've just taken delivery of a new motor and inverter to start this little project, but while rearranging the workshop I was moving my toolbox/workbench and all the wheel castors collapsed as I cheaped out on them while building it, I'm just in the process of repairing it and should be able to start the Qdm750 in about a week or so, just letting you know I hadn't forgotten.

Thread: Paint stripper
07/10/2021 22:39:43

Not paint stripper, but Bahco Tungsten Carbide scrapers are now my go to for paint removal on cast iron, the 625 is probably the most useful, you'll wonder how you got by without one when you use one.

I removed a few layers of paint from these castings with ease, it comes off in one scrape, as it comes off in dry chips it's probably one of the least messy methods of paint removal.

R.press

R.press

Large broaching press

Thread: J & S 1310
06/10/2021 23:43:59

There's another on ebay, the seller has put that it's a 50 int, is yours a small 30 taper as John says 3.5"/foot is an iso taper? if it is maybe searching for this would find you something.

Ebay 50int

06/10/2021 22:39:11

I should have read the listing, did you buy this one in error?

Thread: Standard dead length Crawford collets
06/10/2021 22:26:28

Hi Jimmy, Thanks very much for the thought, I've actually sold my machine, It's Brian above now in the same dilemma.

Thread: J & S 1310
06/10/2021 22:21:33

like this Chris Ebay listing

Is that your listing Chris? 

Edited By Pete. on 06/10/2021 22:23:00

Thread: Help to identify this rotating table
05/10/2021 03:49:50

Looks like a vice base, a very specific vice that fits between the two raised edges on the ground surface.

Thread: Standard dead length Crawford collets
05/10/2021 03:38:00

The cost was £50 each, so not too bad for small number made to order tooling, but not cheap.

If you're not bothered about originality, you could have somewhere with a cylindrical grinder change the spindle bore to an ER collet maybe, just an idea.

04/10/2021 23:12:26

Hi Brian,

Unfortunately I had to sell mine to make some space, If I remember correctly I put 1/3hp motor on it, a 3 phase and vfd would be a better option.

I never found any second hand collets for sale as I presume anyone who owned any probably had no idea what they were so the chances of finding any are non existent.

I did find somewhere that would make these collets to order, D & J Workholding, hope this helps

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Engineer or Model Engineers' Workshop? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Engineer & Model Engineers' Workshop

Support Our Partners
walker midge
JD Metals
emcomachinetools
cowells
Warco
Eccentric July 5 2018
rapid Direct
Eccentric Engineering
Subscription Offer

Latest "For Sale" Ads
Latest "Wanted" Ads
Get In Touch!

Do you want to contact the Model Engineer and Model Engineers' Workshop team?

You can contact us by phone, mail or email about the magazines including becoming a contributor, submitting reader's letters or making queries about articles. You can also get in touch about this website, advertising or other general issues.

Click THIS LINK for full contact details.

For subscription issues please see THIS LINK.

Digital Back Issues

Social Media online

'Like' us on Facebook
Follow us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter
 Twitter Logo

Pin us on Pinterest