By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Member postings for Pete.

Here is a list of all the postings Pete. has made in our forums. Click on a thread name to jump to the thread.

Thread: Bird (feathered variety) expert(s) wanted.
31/05/2020 00:48:50

Could do with one of those sparrowhawks round here, those pigeons keep perching on a branch above my car and using it as a toilet.

Looks like it made short work of it.

Thread: Paint recommendations
31/05/2020 00:04:57

2k acrylic, I sprayed this J&S arbor press with activated 2k acrylic out a rattle can, it leaves a really tough finish and looks like a gloss powder coat.

img_20200318_201744_1.jpg

Thread: milling machine which one ?
29/05/2020 22:55:05

How big do you need to work on air gun parts?

Thread: DIY dial test indicator holder.
28/05/2020 23:20:48

Very nice celso, looks like a useful bit of kit.

Thread: Repair advice, please!
27/05/2020 23:55:40

Is it quite large? I was thinking you could post it, well the offer is open, all it'd cost you is the post to and from.

Have a think about your options, but I tend to agree with the above post in regards to adhesives, I think it will just waste your time and money, and possibly make other repair options more difficult.

27/05/2020 20:56:07
Posted by robjon44 on 27/05/2020 10:30:20:

Hi all, the finest repair system I have ever seen for crack repairs of this type is the "Metalock Stitching System", no heat, no specialized welding equipment nor the skills to use it. System consists of a hardened guide to assist the drilling of a short row of holes at 90 degrees across the crack conducted with an electric drill, the stitch insert is a hardened steel replica of the crack & the row of holes at a slightly lesser pitch, it is fitted with a special tool called I believe a 2 pound ball pein hammer (other hammers are available), this drags the crack closed whether it likes it or not ! leaving it only to be tidied up smooth & painted over, have no idea as to availability these days, but have seen it used with complete success, I have set the hare running!

Bob H

I've read about this in the past, seems like a great method of repairing cast iron, would you be willing to  use it on Bill's broken part and document the process for others to learn from?

Edited By Pete. on 27/05/2020 20:57:26

27/05/2020 20:07:01

Bill, if you're completely stuck with an economical repair, I don't mind having a go at tig bronzing it, but I'm quite busy for the next week or 2, I also need to see if I can get my argon bottle replaced during lock down, shouldn't be a problem.

I've had my tig welder for a couple years now, but haven't had a chance or opportunity to try tig bronze brazing cast iron, so I can't promise you anything.

But if you decide you're out of options, let me know.

Thread: J.T.Slocombe micrometer very old
27/05/2020 19:55:54

This is the high resolution dial caliper I bought, really nicely made tool

If you're after a 0.01mm reading dial caliper, Tesa make one **LINK**

img_20200527_193702.jpg

Edited By Pete. on 27/05/2020 19:56:23

27/05/2020 19:52:28
Posted by Bob Stevenson on 27/05/2020 09:33:21:

Good story that made me smile!......I also have a collection of ancient 'mikes' including Starret, M&W etc.

New members to Epping Forest Horology Club who turn up with verniers and mikes are told by one of the tutors that they will mostly be using 'intuition and feel' and that their micrometer will be handy for clamping small parts but their v ernier should be left at home in future for removing the nuts on radiators etc.

I like that, made me smile.

26/05/2020 23:25:52

Cracking little mic, testament to its quality that it's still usable after all that time, I too have a weak spot for good quality measuring equipment, one of my best buys was a high resolution dial caliper 0.01mm, made in Japan by the NSK bearing company, I bought it new on ebay as old stock for £24, I wish I'd bought 2 of them now, similar quality calipers seem to retail at £100~£120

Thread: Silver soldering boiler
26/05/2020 23:08:38

That looks really good David.

Thread: milling machine which one ?
26/05/2020 21:29:08

Your budget is 3k.

Get yourself the latest belt drive sieg x2 from arc euro, 700 quid, I just saved you 2300 of your budget.

Edited By Pete. on 26/05/2020 21:30:19

Thread: Repair advice, please!
26/05/2020 20:37:32

I welded this vice, if you look where it says England, going diagonally up to the machined surface, the whole front of the vice snapped off (not me, I pulled it out the skip at work) it was a nightmare, I wouldn't do it again for love nor money.

I think brazing is the way to go.

Vice repair

Edited By Pete. on 26/05/2020 20:38:14

Thread: Myford MG9 grinder
26/05/2020 20:03:09

Lucky boy, that looks like a fantastic little machine.

Thread: Advice on pricing
25/05/2020 23:51:40

It's important to remember, bangood and ebay do not manufacture things, if a certain brand of goods is being sold, it doesn't matter who's selling it, some goods are unbranded, and of questionable origin, maybe you will have a problem with them.

I can say the machifit tool post and holders supplied through banggood have all been excellent.

25/05/2020 20:44:03

If it's the smaller machfit wedge style, I ordered 5 holders from banggood a few weeks back, the standard holders were about £9 each, the tool post was £39 at the time, the prices go up and down every other day on that site, but it gives you an idea, I've seen them as low £8 for the standard holders.

Thread: trepan tool?
24/05/2020 23:10:46

Sure,

**LINK**

24/05/2020 22:46:13

Try David Wilkes on YouTube, he has videos making his own tooling, in big sizes, so it's quite easy to see what he's doing.

He also shows it in use on some pretty daunting materials.

He's a pretty nice guy, I'm sure he can answer anything you need to know.

Thread: Source for wiper felt
24/05/2020 22:35:06

Mark, thanks for your suggestion on the sample felt, I might give that a try as it's free.

Ian, I've saved that shop for future reference, it does appear to be the correct stuff to use, and your idea of using neoprene to stop swarf sticking to the felt is something I will probably copy.

Thanks for the drawing cowboy, looks quite simple, I really need to get up to speed with 3d printing, there's a free filing sharing site for it, someone on yt uploaded a free file to print wiper holders, for a mini lathe, I'm sure others will be on there.

24/05/2020 01:44:50

Mark, which felt that they list would be most suitable?

Cowboy, yeah that would great, it was a job I had planned for the coming weeks.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Engineer or Model Engineers' Workshop? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Engineer & Model Engineers' Workshop

Support Our Partners
Ausee.com.au
Eccentric July 5 2018
ChesterUK
cowells
Warco
emcomachinetools
Allendale Electronics
Eccentric Engineering
Subscription Offer

Latest "For Sale" Ads
Latest "Wanted" Ads
Get In Touch!

Do you want to contact the Model Engineer and Model Engineers' Workshop team?

You can contact us by phone, mail or email about the magazines including becoming a contributor, submitting reader's letters or making queries about articles. You can also get in touch about this website, advertising or other general issues.

Click THIS LINK for full contact details.

For subscription issues please see THIS LINK.

Digital Back Issues

Social Media online

'Like' us on Facebook
Follow us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter
 Twitter Logo

Pin us on Pinterest