By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Member postings for Rob McSweeney

Here is a list of all the postings Rob McSweeney has made in our forums. Click on a thread name to jump to the thread.

Thread: Adept Hand Shaper
05/04/2022 20:36:20

Ended now, l presume that someone made the seller an offer they couldn't refuse.

Thread: Answering Machine Messages
21/02/2022 19:40:06

Before I discovered that you can phone customer services and have the answerphone disabled, mine was - " I do not use this answerphone, please try again later, or contact me by text, email or post."

Thread: What Did you do Today 2022
10/02/2022 21:15:30

Further progress on the new workshop - finished the lining and gave it a first coat of emulsion. Hope to finish painting tomorrow, get the flooring down, and collect a first load from the storage container.

Thread: Hermes and couriers
08/02/2022 22:09:52

Last courier delivery l had, l received a message to say my parcel had been left in the porch, which was completely wrong given that a. We don't have a porch, an b. I was in the garden at the time and was handed the parcel.

Thread: Question to North Somerset members
06/02/2022 09:40:03

Than you David

06/02/2022 08:39:48

Travelling down the M5 yesterday, for the first time in several years, l was intrigued to see what appeared to be a substantial airial ropeway under construction about 1/2 mile to the east of the motorway. Anyone here know what it is? New design of electricity pylon? Or is it actually an airial ropeway, and if so what is it for?

Thread: What Did you do Today 2022
14/01/2022 16:54:20

For the first time in ages I have something worth reporting. Finished laying plastic gravel grid and put down the gravel base in readiness for my new shed. We had the electrician working in the house this morning, so was able to discuss the outside power supply and shed wiring with him, I await his quote.

Thread: Anyone know what this is ?
29/12/2021 04:17:29

Shop made taper turning attachment?

Thread: How to profile a bum shaped depression in a 5"G drivers tip-up seat
06/12/2021 20:35:18

A nice sharp bullnose end mill ought to do the job

Thread: An unusual thread size- Stanley 78 rebate plane
04/12/2021 17:12:57

There is currently a 78 fence rod for sale on ebay, £10.00 Buy it now

Thread: Bubble Foil Insulation for workshop, anybody used this?
24/11/2021 22:05:13

Unashamed thread revival.

This stuff has been around for a few years now. Would appreciate feedback from those who have used it.

Thread: Vintage voltage
20/11/2021 17:17:04
Posted by Ian Parkin on 19/11/2021 19:24:1

so many cars are scrapped by the time they reach 10 years old as it is ..theres hardly any old cars running around as daily drivers.

You must live in a particularly affluent part of the country then, where l live l see plenty of 20 year old, and older, cars being used on a daily basis.

Thread: No reply to personal messages
15/11/2021 00:10:38

Another possible - they are not logged in, so the notification isn't showing.

Assuming they have ticked "remember me" when logging in, it only remembers you for a week or so, and you may not notice that you have been logged out until the next time you try to post

Thread: Drummond lathe
27/10/2021 12:23:55

I would echo what Ady has said, with the proviso that not all new production small lathes are fault and problem free.

If you are not familiar with lathes, buying secondhand can be a real minefield, do you know anyone who could help you?

Drummond lathes do have a loyal following of their own, almost a hobby in itself.

Your starting point would be the comprehensive entry on www.lathes.co,uk.

Can I also point you in the direction of the Drummond/Myford lathes group on facebook - I don't think you have to join in order to read the posts and will learn a lot by reading what others are up to. There used to be a Drummond group on Yahoo groups which was very good (although not as active as the F/B group and a few of the members are well up themselves) this was migrated elsewhere when Yahoo ended the 'groups' facility and is now hard to find, there are some real 'treasures' in the files section though.

Thread: Home Made Lathe, Safe?
02/10/2021 18:42:21
Posted by Michael Gilligan on 02/10/2021 17:33:24:

At the current bid of £10 someone would probably get a bargain

... as long as they render it down to a collection of components !!

MichaelG.

Seller has set a reserve "to cover the cost of components" which suggests that - a. buying it as a source of parts won't be an economic proposition, and b. he won't find a buyer.

Thread: Hanson Steel Buildings
27/08/2021 12:23:17

Thanks for your comments on OSB vs ply, Clive. Surprises me, as I would have thought that ply would be less likely to move. Is OSB as good for holding screws under load though? Many shelves to go up!

I don't think Bayzle's suggestion of roofing sheets would go down very well, as proposed workshop location is close to the back door and in full view of the kitchen window and the neighbours on either side - it will have to looks "nice". One advantage of timber , I suppose, I can let my wife choose the paint colour

27/08/2021 10:38:34

Thank you Michael , Noel, Duncan.

I was looking to see how the price of a steel building compared with buying a heavyweight tanalised timber one and lining with 2" Celotex and 1/2 or 3/4 ply. (note to Duncan , Hanson's buildings come ready lined)

Hanson have now given me a quote and they are about 50% dearer, so timber it will be

Thread: A SIMPLE POINT !
27/08/2021 10:32:31

Set screw? - Machine screw, surely.

Thread: Hanson Steel Buildings
25/08/2021 17:05:15

House move coming up soon, and may well require a workshop building.

Anyone got any experience of/comments on the above company and its products?

And, any idea as to pricing as their website isn't giving anything away.

Thread: Full size steam train goes off cliff for entertainment
21/08/2021 11:27:44
Posted by RMA on 21/08/2021 10:38:34:
Posted by vic newey on 21/08/2021 10:33:38:

Initially my reaction. I couldn't reconise it as a 'proper' loco and after investigation , it appears it's a mock up and not powered by steam at all.

Look at how the running boards are inclined upwards and meet the boiler cladding.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Engineer or Model Engineers' Workshop? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Engineer & Model Engineers' Workshop

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
cowells
Rapid RC
Eccentric July 5 2018
Eccentric Engineering
Dreweatts
Subscription Offer

Latest "For Sale" Ads
Latest "Wanted" Ads
Get In Touch!

Do you want to contact the Model Engineer and Model Engineers' Workshop team?

You can contact us by phone, mail or email about the magazines including becoming a contributor, submitting reader's letters or making queries about articles. You can also get in touch about this website, advertising or other general issues.

Click THIS LINK for full contact details.

For subscription issues please see THIS LINK.

Digital Back Issues

Social Media online

'Like' us on Facebook
Follow us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter
 Twitter Logo

Pin us on Pinterest