By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Member postings for Graham Stoppani

Here is a list of all the postings Graham Stoppani has made in our forums. Click on a thread name to jump to the thread.

Thread: Honda Brake Cable
20/01/2020 14:34:03
Posted by Circlip on 19/01/2020 13:34:49:

Lever on brakeplate looks to be splined to shoe shaft? Have you got the lever on the correct spline position.??

Regards Ian.

Ian beat me to it. You should be looking to have the cable at 90% to the lever on the drum as the brake shoes bite onto the drum to get the maximum mechanical advantage.

Thread: First mill
03/01/2020 13:17:11

I bought a used Warco Minor (RF-45 clone) from the classified section of this web site. Its MT3 and I haven't had any problem with that. Maintaining registration of the Z axis is a known issue with this type of round column mill/drill.

What may be a deal breaker for you is getting it in your shed. You will need an engine hoist to assemble it even if you have broken it down to transport it and get it through the door as it weighs 300kg with a lot of that weight in the head casting.

Thread: Stanley Blade Lathe Finishing Tool
26/12/2019 10:30:01
Posted by Bob Stevenson on 26/12/2019 10:11:02:

Yes, I used to do this a lot when making brass instrument mouthpieces as turning the inside of the 'cup' is tricky for the beginner. I have used it when making clock pillars but have moved on now to a collection of steel washers with different edge modifications and sizes...this is a trick I gleaned from a visit to Boosey & Hawkes when they were still around and making brass instruments...

I love the vid, by the way! Not thrilled by the use of the knurling tool decoration but that man knows exactly what he's doing and the results speak for themselves.

Couldn't resits a picture of me with one of messrs B & H's instruments when I was a young lad (second bass from the right).

admiral.jpg

26/12/2019 09:27:44

While researching using form tools on brass I came across this video. At 50 seconds the machinist starts using a stanley knife blade held in his bare hands to finish shaping a piece in the lathe. My first thoughts were that it looked very dangerous. Is this a technique anyone else has ever used?

Thread: Bucket of Steam for Sale?
18/12/2019 06:27:58

I see the classified ads section just got a bit more interesting last night

I have a bucket of steam for sale made from the tears of unicorns (metric only I'm afraid). Please pay me in used nine bob notes, washed dollars or gold. Generous discounts available for the illuminati - make yourselves known to me in the usual way.

International shipping available up to the 31st January, after that please arrange your own couriers as I'm blowed if I known what will be happening then, unless you live in Tonga, I hear we have a trade deal in place with you...

Thread: Longer Articles...
23/11/2019 06:10:25
Posted by Neil Wyatt on 22/11/2019 15:58:45:

If you have ideas for such longer articles, I'd be pleased to hear your suggestions and especially offers of articles (for longer articles PLEASE check with me first before writing a huge manuscript!)

As a rough guide to length I have looked at a few of these that I have lined up, and they have around 4,000 words, a couple of dozen photos and about five A4 sheets of drawings This should work out at about three parts, or perhaps four slightly shorter parts.

I feel your pain brother! I've just been editing down somebody's 10,000 word article to 3 instalments of about 1,500 words each.

Thread: It's Myford Jim, but not as we know it!
23/11/2019 05:53:24

Had a similar experience with ML7 gears from RDG a few years back.

Thread: Loctite
14/11/2019 07:45:56

I used to be the MD of a company supplying chemistry to the aerospace industry amongst others. As it happens we were also a subsidiary of Henkel (who own the Loctite brand) for a while. All our products were supplied with 'use by' dates not because they would degrade over time but because it was a requirement of our customers.

The storage environment is the biggest variable in shelf life. One of our products was just a mixture of two salts, when asked for a use by date by one customer we tried to explain that in a damp warehouse one or two days at most but in a dry warehouse we could put as many millennia as they wanted! Another important variable is exposure to UV rays and the embrittlement of plastics. Likewise, some products will embrittle plastic over a period of time - HP sauce being a good example. That is why most sauce bottles have around five layers of different plastic in them.

In the end we settled for a standard two year shelf life as that was what our customers wanted. Nice little earner for us as we would then charge to take back out of date product from the customer, re validate it and sell it back to them. Deep joy.

Thread: Gandalf is broken
22/10/2019 21:36:10

Builders expanding Foam Filler such as this?

No Nonsense Expanding Foam Filler

Thread: Anodising
08/10/2019 07:44:08

Interested, but as I'm at the Midlands Model Engineering Show the day before and the Stafford Classic Motorcycle Show the day after I think I might be pushing my luck a bit! wink

Thread: What's your favorite Dan Gelbart video
06/10/2019 09:47:54

Just followed the link and watched his air bearing CNC machine. This guy is in another league compared to the Americans that post on YouTube. Thanks for posting the link.

Thread: New tool post for my lathe
03/10/2019 16:23:48
Posted by norman valentine on 03/10/2019 12:27:07:

The problem with the Dickson toolpots is that the toolholders are very expensive. The wedge type of toolpost has toolholders that are nearly half the price. Arceuro stock them.

I would recommend a look at the ArcEurotrade wedge type tool posts as well. I changed over from a Dixon type on my Myford ML7 to one of these. They also stock a range of sizes of this type of tool post.

Model 100 QCTP

Thread: Iím done with big pharma‼️
27/09/2019 20:00:21

Good old asprin. I have just started on a five year clinical trial of asprin following prostate cancer surgery. There is some evidence that taking asprin while in remission can reduce the chances of a reoccurrence.

Thread: Boiler build abandoned !
27/09/2019 14:40:42

Hi Chris,

I am no expert but at last year's Midlands Model Engineering Show I attended a lecture by Keith Hale from CuP Alloys that was all about silver soldering and brazing techniques. He has published a book called A Guide to Brazing and Soldering - everything you wanted to know about silver soldering but were afraid to ask! I have found it useful.

Thread: Worried
26/09/2019 10:03:02

I'm an ex-accountant and can still add up a column of figures in my head quicker than my son can on a calculator (and I'm much slower than I used to be). I love annoying him by giving him the answer half way through his calculations

Thread: Pet peeves!
16/08/2019 08:50:40

Why do manufacturers stamp the drill size just where the chuck jaws go?

Thread: Hello from Northampton
15/08/2019 18:12:16

Hi Jim,

I'm based in Northampton as well. I have a Myford ML7 and a Warco Minor MIll/Drill. What I don't seem to have is the time to spend on them that I would like!

regards

Graham

Thread: Coping with form and function
03/08/2019 07:51:16

Thanks for te heads up. Thoroughly enjoyed that.

Thread: Good YouTube videos
30/07/2019 16:54:11

This Joe is new to me, thanks for the heads up. Another Joe I follow on YouTube is Cuppa Joe as he has made numerous modifications to a a round pillar mill/drill machine similar to the Warco Minor I own.

Cuppa Joe Channel

Thread: What method do you use to find center height for your lathe bit?
27/06/2019 07:33:30
Posted by David George 1 on 27/06/2019 07:25:47:

I use a 6 inch rule and trap it lightly between the tool and a piece of round metal in the chuck and when it is vertical to the bed it is on centre height, quick and easy works all the time.

David

Ditto, this method also works horizontally for drilling bar stock in a drill press / milling machine.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Engineer or Model Engineers' Workshop? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Engineer & Model Engineers' Workshop

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
Eccentric July 5 2018
Eccentric Engineering
Allendale Electronics
Warco
emcomachinetools
mid gard rail Jan 2020
Ausee.com.au
ChesterUK
cowells
Subscription Offer

Latest "For Sale" Ads
Latest "Wanted" Ads
Get In Touch!

Do you want to contact the Model Engineer and Model Engineers' Workshop team?

You can contact us by phone, mail or email about the magazines including becoming a contributor, submitting reader's letters or making queries about articles. You can also get in touch about this website, advertising or other general issues.

Click THIS LINK for full contact details.

For subscription issues please see THIS LINK.

Digital Back Issues

Social Media online

'Like' us on Facebook
Follow us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter
 Twitter Logo

Pin us on Pinterest