By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Member postings for Graham Stoppani

Here is a list of all the postings Graham Stoppani has made in our forums. Click on a thread name to jump to the thread.

Thread: Identifying the grade of silver solder.
15/07/2020 11:51:29

When I was gifted some solder of unknown provenance I used Archimedes Principle to work out the proportion of silver to lead. Fine for the more basic plumbers type solder but maybe not refined enough for a more sophisticated silver solders containing more than two types of metal.

Thread: Back issues & Flash plugin
10/07/2020 05:27:52

Ditto

Thread: Spark plug lead
07/07/2020 05:17:58

In the motorcycle trade if we had a bike with a damaged HT lead that was bonded into the ignition coil we would use an in-line suppressor to connect the new cable to the old. (example below) This has an added benefit if not using a suppressed spark plug cap.

**LINK**

Graham

Thread: Ultrasonics and citric acid
30/06/2020 07:32:09
Posted by Neil Wyatt on 29/06/2020 20:19:47:

I've got some concentrated derusting fluid for my ultrasonic cleaner that I'm sure contains citric acid.

I usually use it at about 50C

Neil

I run my ultrasonic tank at 65C, so in the same ball park as Neil. As a side note, if you've put fresh liquid in your tank and are waiting for it to come up to temperature, its worth running the bath empty to degas it while it warms. This will increase the effectiveness of the bath.

Graham

Thread: Mild Steel Rod in Metric Sizes
15/06/2020 05:57:25

**LINK**

I've used these people recently to buy online and had a quick turnaround. They supply Imperial and Metric sizes and will cut lengths to order.

Thread: Ultrasonic toothbrushes
14/06/2020 05:41:25
Posted by Howard Lewis on 14/11/2019 19:53:06:

So US should be a good way to clean Fido's teeth, as long as not overdone. Possibly, water would be an effective conveyor of the US pulse, since this basically the main constituent of some US cleaning baths.

Give a product a fancy name and you can sell it for a vastly inflated price.

Or am I a cynic?

Howard

My company used to sell Ultrasonic baths - I'm not an expert in this area though. From what I can remember, plain old water worked just fine. Some additives would compliment the the cleaning through chemical action acting alongside the cavitation while others would reduce the cavitation. Can't remember which now as its around 25 years ago.

With regards the damage ultrasonics can do, a simple test to ensure the bath was working was to dip a piece of aluminium baking foil in the bath for a couple of minutes. If the bath was working there would be pin holes punched in the foil by the cavitation.

Thread: Interpreting these bearing blue patterns
14/06/2020 05:23:29

I tried this on my ML7 as well. Not as easy as I expected but a good learning experience. Here's a form thread about it. LINK

Thread: Storage of files
13/06/2020 09:29:00

Used a bit of left over Ikea shelving support to make a spacer for the files.

File storage

Thread: Hermes Parcels
10/06/2020 21:22:31

If you send goods by Hermes you probably don't want to watch this investigation by Joe Lycett on Chanel 4 a few weeks back...

YouTubeVideo

Thread: DIY drip feed oiler for cutting fluid
07/06/2020 06:19:42

The bit I liked the best was the idea of using the tool holders behind the lathe to mount the oiler. That's an idea I'm stealing for future use

Thread: Arduino /C++ Questions...
05/06/2020 11:00:32
Posted by Neil Wyatt on 04/06/2020 16:45:15:

I'm a died in the wool lover of assembly language, just because...

Back in the dim and distant past when I was doing my Computing degree, one of the things we dabbled with was VAX assembly language. I remember students commenting on how friendly it was compared to some other languages. Where they would refuse to compile due to the smallest of errors 'String and string' being a good example the assembler would really try to execute your code however mangled it was. smiley

Thread: The story behind my forum image
03/06/2020 11:15:02

I had amnesia for a while following a motorcycle accident. My first recollection afterwards was being sat on the curbside in a large puddle of blood. Cautiously checking myself for injury I couldn't find anything amiss. I then realised it was the red TQF oil that had spilled out from a broken fork leg.

Later in the afternoon I was found wandering the streets in a daze pushing a broken motorcycle and taken in by a friend. While sat in her flat I was hallucinating watching a picture over her fireplace sliding from side to side across the wall. The next morning when I got home I was dragged of to A&E by my mum for X rays and such like.

It was only when I was contacted a few days later by the driver of the car I'd hit that I found out another vehicle was involved; the police and ambulance had been in attendance; and that I had refused to get in the ambulance or press charges against the driver that had pulled out on me.

Thread: Workshop Insulation Problem
08/05/2020 06:54:17

I can't comment on the structural side of things, but like Bazyle, I run a dehumidifier in my brick built double garage with an insulated flat(ish) roof. I have it set to 40% humidity and I'm collecting a couple of litres of water every two or three days to once a week depending on outside humidity.

I haven't seen any damp issues in the garage but I run the dehumidifier to help keep my motorcycles and metalworking equipment rust free rather than to deal with structural issues.

Thread: Arc's Website - Is it Just Me?
08/05/2020 05:45:07

Mine is fine too Chris

Graham

Thread: New member in Northants
02/05/2020 06:49:35

Welcome, fellow Northamptonian.

Thread: Cutting a slot in a turned piece
27/04/2020 15:42:52

I have to confess that it was the accountant in me talking. Slot Drill £7 slitting saw and arbour £21... nerd

27/04/2020 12:26:33

You might also be able to use a very small slot drill in your mill. Such as these sold by RDG Metric Slot Drills

Thread: Motorcycle General Discussion
26/04/2020 07:09:25

Nigel B,

I mostly work with BMW (that's why I took the bait on the GS smiley) but also Triumph and Ducatis now and then. I don't find pushing the big bikes around a problem as I'm a big lad and if you're doing it 8 hours a day your technique gets pretty good. When I was full time I was riding about 4,000 bikes a year. Now I'm retired I just help out running in bikes ready for the press fleets. I know, a tough job but someone's gotta do it!

Edited By Graham Stoppani on 26/04/2020 07:21:22

25/04/2020 11:29:37

A lot of talk about the weight of various bikes with the BMW R 1200 GS being described as grossly overweight. As sure as heck it is no light weight at 580lb curb weight. The RE 650 Enfield weighs in at 455lb making the BMW 27% heavier.

However, if you look at their power outputs the BMW knocks out 125bhp and the Enfield a more modest 47bhp. This gives the BMW a power to weight ratio of .21hp/lb twice that of the Enfield at .103hp/lb.

I'm not saying this makes the BMW the better bike, I'm just saying weight is just part of the story. I test ride bikes for a living and can have as much fun on an electric scooter as a 6 cylinder 1.6 litre bike (electric bikes are a hoot by the way).

Give me a bike, any bike, rather than a car any day!

Thread: Only for Myford lathes
20/04/2020 05:33:26
Posted by Kiwi Bloke on 19/04/2020 07:12:42:

Graham, EPDM rubber (if that's what you meant, but your fingers thought otherwise) is not compatible with hydrocarbons. Nitrile rubber is OK. So your bit left over lives for another day...

Thanks for the warning. I even checked the name of the rubber before typing and still got it wrong!

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Engineer or Model Engineers' Workshop? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Engineer & Model Engineers' Workshop

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
Eccentric July 5 2018
Allendale Electronics
ChesterUK
Warco
emcomachinetools
EngineDIY
cowells
Eccentric Engineering
Subscription Offer

Latest "For Sale" Ads
Latest "Wanted" Ads
Get In Touch!

Do you want to contact the Model Engineer and Model Engineers' Workshop team?

You can contact us by phone, mail or email about the magazines including becoming a contributor, submitting reader's letters or making queries about articles. You can also get in touch about this website, advertising or other general issues.

Click THIS LINK for full contact details.

For subscription issues please see THIS LINK.

Digital Back Issues

Social Media online

'Like' us on Facebook
Follow us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter
 Twitter Logo

Pin us on Pinterest