By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Member postings for Graham Stoppani

Here is a list of all the postings Graham Stoppani has made in our forums. Click on a thread name to jump to the thread.

Thread: Pet peeves!
16/08/2019 08:50:40

Why do manufacturers stamp the drill size just where the chuck jaws go?

Thread: Hello from Northampton
15/08/2019 18:12:16

Hi Jim,

I'm based in Northampton as well. I have a Myford ML7 and a Warco Minor MIll/Drill. What I don't seem to have is the time to spend on them that I would like!

regards

Graham

Thread: Coping with form and function
03/08/2019 07:51:16

Thanks for te heads up. Thoroughly enjoyed that.

Thread: Good YouTube videos
30/07/2019 16:54:11

This Joe is new to me, thanks for the heads up. Another Joe I follow on YouTube is Cuppa Joe as he has made numerous modifications to a a round pillar mill/drill machine similar to the Warco Minor I own.

Cuppa Joe Channel

Thread: What method do you use to find center height for your lathe bit?
27/06/2019 07:33:30
Posted by David George 1 on 27/06/2019 07:25:47:

I use a 6 inch rule and trap it lightly between the tool and a piece of round metal in the chuck and when it is vertical to the bed it is on centre height, quick and easy works all the time.

David

Ditto, this method also works horizontally for drilling bar stock in a drill press / milling machine.

Thread: Satnav
24/06/2019 18:43:22
Posted by John MC on 24/06/2019 15:10:32:

The reason I want satnav on the bike is because I have entered this years ACU National Rally for the first time in a few years. When I was a regular competitor I could remember where the location of the controls, mostly. I'm staying local (ish), trouble is some controls have gone and been replaced with controls in different places, I'm hoping the satnav will help ne find them.

I've done the National Road Rally once myself - not easy. I'd read somewhere some time ago that it was considered 'bad form' to use a Sat Nav on the National Rally. However, I can't believe that is still the prevailing view as Sat Navs are so ubiquitous nowadays and like you all our memories are failing. I use a Garmin Sat Nav regularly on my bikes but never with the sound on, you really don't need it.

Best of Luck

Thread: A Very Nice Freebie
11/06/2019 07:58:07
Posted by Nicholas Wheeler 1 on 10/06/2019 21:22:31:

Unfortunately, keeping stuff has a cost too. And selling bits piecemeal is hard enough when its your hobby stash, for businesses it's often more cost effective to bin rather than sell. And that's before you consider what the accountants say.

The business had a closing down auction a few days later and the shims would have sold as a set (all different sizes needed when servicing). This is how the storeman's gaff came to light as people were asking if the shim set would be in the auction.

PS I'm an accountant! smile the shims had what we call a high net realisable value.

10/06/2019 21:12:48

A local motorcycle dealership closed down some years ago. The lad in the stores had a clear out and threw a few hundred of their Ducati desmodromic valve shims in the skip as he didn't know what they were. Each one was worth £15. I can't bear to think what engineering goodies get thrown out on a daily basis by people who have no idea what they are and what they're worth.

Thread: Ever have one of those days..?
16/05/2019 21:38:09

Those of you who have read Zen and the Art of Motorcycle Maintenance will recognise these situations as Gumption Traps.

Wikipedia Definition

Thread: Adjustable workshop perching stool
13/05/2019 12:18:05

A drum stool does a pretty good job as well, plus it can be folded up and stored.

Thread: H2O2?
11/05/2019 11:23:58

This may be your answer.

" White chemical porcelain and borosilicate glass are both compatible with hydrogen peroxide and are widely used for small scale laboratory apparatus. Due to the risk of breakage, these materials are not generally recommended for large scale apparatus or plants."

taken from

LINK

Thread: Loctite minefield
11/05/2019 10:00:15

Just to add to the list, I've been using Loctite 248 for a number of years. It differs from a lot of other Loctite products in that it comes in stick form (like lipstick or Prittstick) rather than liquid which I find easier to work with. It is a general purpose, medium strength product that can stand a bit of oil on the surfaces being joined and can be undone with hand tools.

The manufacturer's blurb say it can work on threads up to M50 in size! I use it mostly on motorcycles on threads around M6 in size.

Henkel web site

I should just state that I am an ex-employee of Henkel so may be a bit prejudiced.

Thread: Easy way of finding centre to drill a hole in round stock
09/05/2019 08:31:44

Yes, I use this method to set tool height as well, but had never twigged to use it this way - doh!

Thread: Stainless Steel Metric Fasteners
21/04/2019 07:07:36

Thanks everyone for your recommendations, I better get my shopping list made up.

21/04/2019 07:06:27
Posted by peak4 on 21/04/2019 00:34:22:

Graham, Toolstation is also worth a look, and often cheaper than Screwfix.
I'm sure I recognise your name from somewhere, Ducati, Guzzi??

Bill

Hi Bill, yes I'm in the Ducati Owners Club so you may have heard the name there.

20/04/2019 17:20:58

I need to replenish my stocks of stainless steel A2 metric nuts, bolts and washers. In the past I'd pick up this stuff from Steve's Stainless at the Stafford Show (motorcycles). Unfortunately, poor Steve died last year so I thought I'd see who other people can recommend. I buy ten or twenty of each length of bolt/ screw I need and usually about 50 washers at a time, so small amounts.

TIA

Thread: Warco Rotary Table - What Grease?
01/03/2019 20:20:18

In an 8" RT in all probability anything medium viscosity & oily would also be fine !

Thanks Nigel B, that's what I was thinking. I'll top it up and take it for a spin! laugh

regards

Graham S

01/03/2019 15:20:15

Excuse me hijacking this thread but I have a similar question. I've just acquired an unidentified second hand 8" rotary table and it has an oil sight glass at the side and a filler plug. Trawling the internet brings up a discussion about this on an American web site but no help on what type of oil.

Has anyone come across this and can they say what sort of oil to use? I would hazard a guess that maybe the same sort of hydraulic oil I use in my Myford bearings...

regards

Graham S

Thread: Warco Super - Major Vario inaccuracy
01/03/2019 07:02:03

Talking of shimming, I came across this video on Youtube where an epoxy product supplied by a German company is used as an alternative. This is new to me (not that that means much!) has anyone else used this technique?

Mill Tramming with Epoxy

regards

Graham S

Thread: Issue Reading New Digital Viewer
10/02/2019 11:54:39

Can someone say what viewer is currently operating for the archived magazines? I am seeing Adobe Flashplayer for either MS Explorer running on Windows 10 or Firefox running on Windows 7.

regards

Graham

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Engineer or Model Engineers' Workshop? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Engineer & Model Engineers' Workshop

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
Advertise With Us
Ausee.com.au
ChesterUK
Eccentric July 5 2018
Meridienne oct 2019
TRANSWAVE Converters
Warco
Eccentric Engineering
Allendale Electronics
emcomachinetools
Subscription Offer

Latest "For Sale" Ads
Latest "Wanted" Ads
Get In Touch!

Do you want to contact the Model Engineer and Model Engineers' Workshop team?

You can contact us by phone, mail or email about the magazines including becoming a contributor, submitting reader's letters or making queries about articles. You can also get in touch about this website, advertising or other general issues.

Click THIS LINK for full contact details.

For subscription issues please see THIS LINK.

Digital Back Issues

Social Media online

'Like' us on Facebook
Follow us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter
 Twitter Logo

Pin us on Pinterest