By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Member postings for Pete White

Here is a list of all the postings Pete White has made in our forums. Click on a thread name to jump to the thread.

Thread: Oxy Acetylene or Oxy Propane?
18/12/2018 09:46:39

Very interesting, used to cut all the time with oxy propane, time to revisit this for mentioned uses now that the Acetylene has gone. Never thought about it.

Thankyou all.

Thread: Combi Boiler fault finding
17/12/2018 21:05:42
Posted by Alan Waddington 2 on 17/12/2018 20:02:27:
Posted by blowlamp on 17/12/2018 19:30:12:

On the money there Martin, my boiler of choice, fitted around 100 of them so far, great bit of kit. am

I am saying nothing, only fitter two boiler and gased three Landrovers, still here to tell to tail, but sadly Mrs. does not ever trust me to work the thermostat these days.

But .......... MILs boiler, 94 year old, thats her not the boiler ??? bless her some would say, kept tripping the circuit breaker, traced by the gasman, no gaslady, to a leaking diverter valve, solenoid was replaced by the gasman a week earlier. Valve not checked properly............thinks incompetent one.

Thread: What MIG Welder should I get?
17/12/2018 12:22:49

I am wondering what your phrase "not very good with" means. As mentioned you really do get a better arc with more money spent, but does your unit do the job for you?

If you want more power have you thought of a stick welder, my weapon of choice when away from thin material. Tig is not the easiest of processes to master, which takes me back to my opening question.smiley. Don't forget you will need pure argon here, not cheap.

I longer have an argoshield bottle on account, mainly cos my minimal use is taken care of by the stick welder, but when needed I find co2 and my rattly box mig, does for me.

Having said that I have hung my nose over a small tig unit more than once..................anyone remember O/A welding, thought I had "arrived" when I got into that. lol

Thread: Motor for small loco
16/12/2018 18:32:34

Thanks for that John, that information on the suitability clinkes the deal then. I will send a p.m. about what you might have in your stach.

Neil, I initially thought the middle one, but opted for end to keep the wheel base as short as possible for the tight radius curves that I have planned. Does it matter much either way I wonder ?

16/12/2018 13:59:29

Thanks for that Ron. Think I will give one a go then, at the price. Was planing on something like your projuct, might go with something metal bodied similar to Elf or Trojan as a shunter. Perhaps a wooden body along the lines of Toby, mate of Thomas.

Did consider a 0-6-0 with one axle, the rear? with no flanges on the wheels. Comments welcome

15/12/2018 18:35:01

Found these on Ebay and wondered if anyone had any experience with them. Clearly not up to a Parvalux but quite a price difference

s-l500.jpgWith Thanks

Pete

Edited By Pete White on 15/12/2018 18:36:22

Thread: CV to date
11/12/2018 08:59:41

Thanks All.

I am a county further down, where they still hunt foxes,.............still do that everywhere don't they??

Good fun building the brewing kit, moved up to a half barrel job, 100 litres actually, proper beer for 25p a pint............I good to good at drinking it though, not big or clever

That Pete was not me, I was a Homebrew Forum resident.

Working on Christmas presents at the moment, making sawdust is my other hobby. then its a start on an electric loco...................

Thread: Pro’s and cons of owning an horizontal milling machine
10/12/2018 20:38:45

it depends what you do Kevin, as Neil mentioned if you like a pain in your neck, you can run vertical cutters "over the back" bigger ones that a small vertical will handle.

Like the bit about, more cut for your money if buying second hand horizontal cutters.

Hung my nose over Bridgeports for 40 years, should have bought one, better than money in the bank these day and you don't have to feed them.

Yes agree with all said, a vertical covers most situations, except removing removing lots of metal quickly, size for size that its.

Thread: CV to date
09/12/2018 18:49:54

Whilst researching a simple electric shunter build for a planed garden railway.........for our grandsons........ I found the site. Lots of good info and knowledge gained here already. Thank you .

I have a reasonable workshop, put together over the last 50 years, Harrison L6, Horizontal only ES1, a very nice, old as me, Herbert 10, mig and Oxford stick welder, O.A. now longer on account.

Bought ST turner casting 35 years ago and sold them 10 years ago unstarted, at a good profit. Used to take M.E. for 20 years, stored untouched years under the stairs.

Got interest in all this with the first grandson now just under five by visits to our local line The Great Central, they nearly got me, might still do, to work on there fleet of Windcutter wagons............... also visited our local Club, at Ruddington, purely as a rider, with the family resently..........need to get involved there.

Recently, last 10 years, have spent time building a home brewery and kit, got quite good at it, if I may say, ...............got even better at drinking it............ lol

Anyway, look forward to joining in on the forum, as I used to say on the beer forum, it is a forum not a reading room. lol

Pete

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Engineer or Model Engineers' Workshop? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Engineer & Model Engineers' Workshop

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
Warco
cowells
emcomachinetools
Eccentric July 5 2018
rapid Direct
JD Metals
walker midge
Eccentric Engineering
Subscription Offer

Latest "For Sale" Ads
Latest "Wanted" Ads
Get In Touch!

Do you want to contact the Model Engineer and Model Engineers' Workshop team?

You can contact us by phone, mail or email about the magazines including becoming a contributor, submitting reader's letters or making queries about articles. You can also get in touch about this website, advertising or other general issues.

Click THIS LINK for full contact details.

For subscription issues please see THIS LINK.

Digital Back Issues

Social Media online

'Like' us on Facebook
Follow us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter
 Twitter Logo

Pin us on Pinterest