By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Member postings for Pete White

Here is a list of all the postings Pete White has made in our forums. Click on a thread name to jump to the thread.

Thread: Parkside (Lidl) Cordless Angle Grinder
25/09/2020 13:25:17
Posted by Circlip on 25/09/2020 13:01:29:

" cordless grinders aren't the most powerful tools. "

Seem quite adequate for breaking and entering.

Regards Ian.

Yes, one job and its paid for I would imagine.

Thread: Restoring a wooden tool box, help needed
25/09/2020 13:11:54

Cascamite and aerolite, takes me back, not as far as Mosquitoes though. Epoxy resin is the choice of a lot of boat builders and repairers these days. I used some cascamite on some windows recently, it always was a pain to mix in the right proportions.

There are lots of modern alternatives that would do the job just as well to my thinking, it is a tool box afterall . Am I missing something? PVA?

Pete

Edited By Pete White on 25/09/2020 13:14:18

Thread: Water jet cutting
25/09/2020 08:37:55

Thanks for the pic, will be watching this one.

Pete

24/09/2020 20:36:05
Posted by Old School on 24/09/2020 19:25:45:

When the water jet cutting has finish their will be very little of the steel left, I will post a picture of it when it’s cut.

Can't wait for the cut job, any drawings ?

Just venturing into laser myself at the moment, very pleased with the quotes that I am getting,  but its all about quantities. 

Pete

Edited By Pete White on 24/09/2020 20:37:13

Thread: Herbert No10 Mill - details
24/09/2020 18:03:56

You might be nearer to an authority when you have made an adaptor lol. I don't see how a tool could be re machined for lots of reasons, least being the Herbert is larger than the int 30 ! ?

I machined mine slightly different to the forum method.

I chucked up a piece of material and bored it to a blued fit to 30 int tool , then turned outer dia to a rough size to Herbert taper.

I had a 30 int tool with a 1 inch spigot, used for a boring head, so I chucked some bar and faced and turned this to accept the 30 int tool,fixed 30 tool with the 4 mounting bolts drilled and tapped with it in the chuck.

I then used a short draw bolt to secure the half made sleeve for machining, removing sleeve to check blued fit into the Herbert

???.....................if I remember correctly.

All the controls on the machine should have plates showing the obvious ?

Good Luck with the project, not much more to add I think?

Pete

Edited By Pete White on 24/09/2020 18:10:09

24/09/2020 14:12:48

Link below might not work, I used to be able to do them on another forum ? Goes on about the sleeve process.

look here

Not a good idea at all to butcher the table, it might not even be thick enough !

I have a sub table which I bolt down when needed

Will p.m. you the link stuff if the post doesnt work.

Pete

24/09/2020 13:59:29

Edited By Pete White on 24/09/2020 14:00:45

23/09/2020 18:54:01

Sorry for double post, not read all the replies either, started reply but was called away for a couple of hours.

I made an adapter sleeve to convert mine to Int 30, plenty of tooling available of this type, even int to morse for drilling. The taper is the same as int 30 just a different size, the sleeve ends up 3 mm ish wall thickness. Your might want to check out the internal wiring, mine was much in need of attention when I got it.

When I bought mine, it only had two speeds in the box, stripped it and re-fixed a collar to solved it. I wouldn't worry about paper work its a rock solid simple machine to sort.

Pete

Edited By Pete White on 23/09/2020 18:58:02

23/09/2020 18:45:28

I am still using a Herbert 10, not sure what the difference is. There was a 10s on the bay last week, but it looked identical to mine. Worst thing about it is the "special " Herbert taper with tooling very hard to find a shade different to int 30. I have owned mine for nearly 40 years now, love it, curse the one slot in the table often.

Good luck

Pete

23/09/2020 18:42:14

I am still using a Herbert 10, not sure what the difference is. There was a 10s on the bay last week, but it looked identical to mine. Worst thing about it is the "special " Herbert taper with tooling very hard to find a shade different to int 30. I have owned mine for nearly 40 years now, love it, curse the one slot in the table often.

Good luck

Pete

Thread: Diamond Honing Wheel Setup on ML10
20/09/2020 18:45:26

Thankyou for posting your excellent work Ignatz.

I have just bought one off those cup wheels and mounted it on a 1/4 hp motor, using it free hand, works for me, need to up my game.

Pete

Thread: REMOVING STEEL BOILER TUBES
19/09/2020 13:47:20

I was wondering how you might repair any accidental damages the tube plate holes ?

Thread: Has anyone used cheap Chinese spur gears?
18/09/2020 16:56:50

Good luck with the project, keep us posted. As said its low risk and low cost punt, should be fine. Most things in life are a risk especially these days.

Pete

P. S. The chair not be used first try out on an alone sahara crossing is it ? lol

Edited By Pete White on 18/09/2020 16:57:52

Thread: Jobs we had as kids
08/09/2020 18:06:21

Delivering fruit on friday night and a Sunday paper round at 14, plus doing other rounds when kids didn't turn up, good pay working 6 till 1, we used to actually collect the money in those days !

Holidays spent on egg and bacon farm, poultry and pigs, feeding and mending anything that was broken or falling apart.

As a 15 year old I was always at a small company that made electric fires, setting big presses and fly presses for the women and wiring three phase machines on my own, did get supervision when on guillotine work cutting panels.

I never had time to mess around on an x box even if they had been invented?

Oh.... and a worked part time at the local jewellers cleaning out the cuckoo clocks !!

Pete

Thread: How to move a Colchester Student ?
05/09/2020 08:57:26

I won't repeat what Paul said, sound good to me. Moved my L6 , Herbert 10 Adcock 1ES like that, used my ramps, blocked up rear of trailer solid and winched machines up on rollers. strapped ithem secure and away, less the rollers of course. The sheets of ply is the trick and saves damage to the trailer floor from crow bars!

I moved 2 of 3 L6s that I bought at auction 35 years ago that way, sold the third to a chap who collected from site with a skip lorry, no skip of course, a mate moved a big Colchester that way?

Pete

Thread: Mild Steel Problems
25/08/2020 16:27:02

I must have been lucky these days, not encountered any hard bits as I can recall since making go - carts out of bed iron over 50 years ago.

Pete

25/08/2020 13:43:03

How about a pilot hole, might help things out ?

Pete

Thread: Laser cut items
17/08/2020 20:34:55
Posted by Bazyle on 17/08/2020 13:39:26:

6mm is pretty thick for even a 5in 0-4-0. I would also suggest only one fixed axle despite the complicatons of suspension or you will be forever derailing.

Please tell me more Bazyle, 6mm is thick on reflection, thank you, so 5 or even 4mm then.

I am new to this rail stuff, don't understand,"one fixed axle", we are talking two bogies for a driving truck here, to manage long wheel base and tight radius corners ?

Input welcome, even thinking of acetal collars now for the bearings housings , bolted with a locating spigot into the laser cut holes in the frames?

Not looking for exhibition standard here, just some engineering, even with plastic? that is quick to build and works. smiley

Pete

Pete

17/08/2020 13:31:57

Thanks for the reply Paul. I intend to bore the holes on the mill, so was hoping to do one cut per hole, move the frame along onto a 28 mm dia location peg and then bore the other bearing seat?

I was hoping to get away with one set up of the boring head and was really trying to gauge how well my hs steel bit would stand up to 16 holes 12 mm deep?

Haven't got and never used a carbide boring cutter? Come to think of it, never used a boring head much, but don't want to mess up my lasered frames !

Pete

Edited By Pete White on 17/08/2020 13:34:19

Edited By Pete White on 17/08/2020 13:37:14

Thread: Twerps with hats on back to front and no front number plates
16/08/2020 23:00:37

Posted by SillyOldDuffer on 16/08/2020 19:36:29:

....... and now I own a flat cap.

Nothing wrong with a flat cap, but WE need to watchout for all the idiots about on the roads these days!?

Posted by colin brannigan on 16/08/2020 19:59:22: does anyone have any written evidence as to fatalities or serious injuries caused by the number plate.

No I don't, but know for sure that I would not like to be hit in nasty place by one.....even at my age

Edited By Pete White on 16/08/2020 23:02:57

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Engineer or Model Engineers' Workshop? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Engineer & Model Engineers' Workshop

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
Eccentric July 5 2018
rapid Direct
Warco
MIDLNDS GARDEN RAIL Jan 2022
emcomachinetools
cowells
JD Metals
Eccentric Engineering
Subscription Offer

Latest "For Sale" Ads
Latest "Wanted" Ads
Get In Touch!

Do you want to contact the Model Engineer and Model Engineers' Workshop team?

You can contact us by phone, mail or email about the magazines including becoming a contributor, submitting reader's letters or making queries about articles. You can also get in touch about this website, advertising or other general issues.

Click THIS LINK for full contact details.

For subscription issues please see THIS LINK.

Digital Back Issues

Social Media online

'Like' us on Facebook
Follow us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter
 Twitter Logo

Pin us on Pinterest